Assetto Corsa 2 Will be Called "Assetto Corsa Evo", Coming 2024

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 691 comments
I think the 2 missing Hyundai models will be the IONIQ-6 N and the Kona N

I don't see the Elantra N and Veloster N, for example, because it would be more difficult for Kunos to access the cars to scan them than the other two.
The Kona N is more likely since its in FH5 too but I'm not sure about the IONIQ 6 N since it isnt out yet. Maybe itll be revealed as part of the game but I'm not sure

Just to check: The Steam Wishlist says the game will be coming in January 2025, and won't take my money before then by the look of things. Will that be when the game releases feature complete or will there be an early access phase like AC1?

To be fair the ongoing success of the original AC shows that's not actually true.
The modders creating game play is what keeps many folks playing now along with the absolute most important thing, it is a decade old game with very low system requirements ( An Athlon X2 2.8Ghz ?! ) and nearly free which makes it highly accessible and also highly tunable and customizable. Who could even play AC without mods? I couldn't, it's quite lacking just as is. It didn't even break 5k players until 2020, 6 years after release, because mods. Same with BeamNG

ModLand.net began in 2014 and 5 years ago had massive growth and now has tens of thousand of cars and thousand of mods for BeamNG and a few thousand for AC. A new release can't remotely compete with that unless the community is already modding the game and making it what the community wants before release or on day 1. Just like with Quake superheroes back in the 90s.

5 years ago AC had 20% of the players it has now.

Beam NG has way more players, because it has even more growth and was at only 10% of the players playing 5 years ago.

New and shiny is not so great. Quality game play and features is. It wasn't 20 years ago or a decade ago, and it isn't now. Polished and the community expanding the platform to be what it wasn't at launch is why history shows the consistent pattern that in 5 years, EVO might be polished, and is far more likely than at launch to be ready to impress without unacceptable bugs players will walk away from.

New releases are not giving players what they want for the past decade. It's been hype nonsense and years of bug fixing as of late while folks rightfully and properly go back to what offered them the most choice to play how they want. and has grown with the community creating most of the game for them. Developers aren't bringing what's wanted, and the community more often than not has to fix it.

And if few folks are playing a new $80 release or they are disillusioned by a lacking release, they're likely to go back to the $10-$15 title everyone is playing that offers all the game play elements that the new expensive lacking release doesn't have and promises will be coming at some time in the future, likely when they open modding and the community actually builds the rest of the game.

1729729486486.png

What’s truly remarkable about AC is the incredible diversity in the way it is used and the different elements of car culture it supports, from circuit racing, to drifting, to rally, to touge, to drag racing, NASCAR and everything in between. Almost “Drivetribe” like – reminds me of the opening scene of the Grand Tour with all the different car cultures driving across the desert brought together by their love of cars.

So, as we all contemplate AC Evo, we all come to it with our own perspective, how will it support the things we love doing in AC? And given that diversity, it’s hard to imagine it will cover it all.

My own perspective is a love of motor racing through the ages, and the ability to race across all eras and all disciplines, and replicate championship seasons and major races. From a collection of over 4600 cars and 1400 circuits, I have over 220 championships built in Content Manager across Formula, Sports and GT, and Touring car categories – some I’ve built myself and some from the modding community.

Around 50 of the 74 seasons of Formula 1 can be created in varying levels of detail, some with individual, high-quality mods of each car in the season, some less so, some with a single high-quality mod/car representative of the season with liveries for each car (think RSS 70, 79, 86, 90, 10, 13). On this forum, @Apocalypse211 has accurately created around 15 F1 seasons across the 80’s, 90’s and 00’s. Pyyer’s F1 track extensions and the VRC FA means we can do the F1 season in real-time.

The AC Le Mans project now has 8 Le Mans 24hr races created with correct liveries and representative grids, some almost exact. I’ve created another 9. Similarly, there are WEC/ICM, DTM, BTCC and ATCC seasons/grids across many years from the 60’s through to today. And of course that’s just a very small sample – many other modders are doing the same to one or more elements.

For me, (and I do compete IRL in a historic Group A Alfetta GTV6 touring car, and in an Alfetta 2L GTV historic sports car) being able to re-create and experience some of the great moments in motorsport, to get some sense of what it was like is just amazing. From Mulsanne in a 917 in 1970, to Senna and Prost at Suzuka, Plato v Menu v Neal at Thruxton, Moffat v Brock or Whincup v Mostert at Bathurst, to driving through the night and winning in the 499P at Le Mans 2023 (incidentally the in-car from car 83 499P was live to Youtube and is fantastic – but what was amazing was how close it was to the AC in car!)

I see AC as more of a living, virtual encyclopedia of motorsport that you can jump into at any time and recreate virtually. And it’s the combination of the base AC game and importantly its openness, CSP, Pure/Sol, Content Manager, and the incredible modding community that has made this possible.

If I had one improvement I’d like to see in AC (other than better AI, and less volatile curbs), it would be adding more depth and functionality to the User Championships/Career building mode to support the user’s ability to build more accurate Championships with a greater ability to include the actual history of the season, and of individual races, including things like custom grids/liveries per race, weather for practice, qualifying and race, better record of results. I know some of this can be done in the current AC career mode (as opposed to User Championships) but it has to be done outside of CM and is bit tedious outside the CM interface.

So how does this relate to ACE? Well, AC started with a broad selection of race and road cars, a selection of race circuits and a couple of point-to-point road sections (and it seems ACE will start in a similar place) but looking at the ACE info to date there are several red flags for me and my own little part of the AC world.

But the positives first:
  • It seems the focus on driving physics remains – it will be a simulation – opinion on the pre-alpha has suggested a mix of AC and ACC handling and FFB feel – no bad thing
  • The focus on motorsport remains with race cars and circuits in the early access release and an in-built online (iracing style) competition
  • It looks great – the graphics do look amazing
  • Weather built-in with transition, drying line, standing water modeled, time acceleration etc
The red flags:
  • A career mode that locks you into grinding to unlock cars or tracks is of no interest and would be a major disincentive
  • The marketplace/car modding/renting (including liveries) model may or may not support building seasons/championships or putting together season grids
  • Modding may be very restrictive and impair the ability to create the cars, tracks, and championships – would it even be possible to create an ASR 1991 car pack? Will this fall under the licensing support Kunos has mentioned?
  • How easy will it be to create historic/or current track skins? Will extensions be able to be built to cover different layouts and years? Would this fall under the licensing support?
  • Haven’t seen anything on custom/user-built championships or careers – all the focus has been on the game providing a career mode.
Now these are just red flags – that is, things of concern given the announcements to date. Of course, there has been very little on modding revealed other than it will be there, and they will seek to limit IP/license infringements. There is very little detail on how career modes will work and whether they will be user customisable.

Will I buy it – of course I will! Will I still need to keep AC and my CSP/Pure subscriptions – well only time will tell, but I expect I’ll be running AC for some time yet.

The Kona N is more likely since its in FH5 too but I'm not sure about the IONIQ 6 N since it isnt out yet. Maybe itll be revealed as part of the game but I'm not sure
Well maybe as a first virtual appearance, because here in Granada I have already seen a unit with hardly any camouflage going around as a test (Hyundai and Kia really like to use this area as a test for new cars, it is not the first time I see a new car of theirs with little camouflage going around months before being revealed, another example was the Kia Soul that I saw several on a highway without any camouflage and about 2-3 weeks later Kia presented the model)

@scottfgtv6: Amazing post. I agree 100%.

For me the greatest thing about AC is that everything is adjustable so easily. If you think your season is too easy even at AI level 100, well go to the data and add some CD gain to your car and decrease it from the AI cars. Or if it's a turbo car simply reduce the boost of your car. And then you have very challenging season again. With some ridiculously easy tuning that take a minute. The problem with most offline racing titles is that you eventually get too good and then it's kinda "game over". With AC there is no such thing, you can always make it more difficult with ease.

For me the full seasons is the thing. And getting into the atmosphere of classic F1. I've been playing these F1 games since the first Microprose F1 Geoff Crammond titles and of course I always tried to like them and get into the atmosphere. Crammond Grand Prix 4 was the first one that scratched the surface a little. I played countless seasons through in GP4. I enjoyed it but of course looking back at it now, it was seriously lacking in many ways. I also had Grand Prix Legends that had the 90's F1 car skins. I played that too. What a great game it was (for its time).

Then I got a PS4 and those Codemasters EA F1 games. F1 2020 was the best. I had AC and ACC all the time, but the PS4 versions. Enjoyed them a lot and AC for the consoles is the best hotlap simulator ever created. Because that's what it basically is for PS4.

Then I saw some videos of the Automobilista 2 and AC F1 mods and decided to buy a good gaming PC. I installed the Lotus98T based 1986 season by GregZ and those 1988 tracks by Rainmaker and I was like "holy crap this is amazing". I mean that track pack is simply perfection. All circuits are so well done and almost completely trouble free ai racing. Even Detroit 1988 which is the best made street circuit EVER. That track pack is a great base for classic F1 in AC. Honestly... for me AC is the only platform where you can finally create a proper classic F1 evinronment.

Then I got into adjusting and fine tuning and I was able to create (imho) the best classic F1 atmosphere EVER with those seasons. I play them religiously and they're basically everything I always dreamed about. To finally have something that actually feels like the real thing with very accurate AI race results. And now I realize how bad the Codemasters games actually are. I never got into AMS2 and RF2 F1 mods, really. Those classic F1 mods are very well done but driving doesn't feel right to me. Maybe I'm just too familiar with AC.

For example I was able to create that legendary F1 2007 season with Kimi, Hamilton and Alonso all finished within 5 points from eachother at the end... after 17 races. The results of the races are unbelivably realistic. That is only possible with delicate fine tuning of everything. Of course every gamers' skills are different and you probably have to fine tune it a little for your own skill level... you might be much better or worse sim racer than I am... fine... just tone up or down the driver ratings... and if Hamilton/Alonso at 100 isn't enough for you, increase your cars' CD gain and make it slower on the straights... it's all possible and easy.

People complain about AC ai. But the ai is actually very, very good and fair, providing the track ai and cars are good. You simply have to see how the created cars drive and adjust the driver aggression (BASED ON THE CREATED CARS). With ASR/RSS cars you can have it higher but with SD cars you'll have to tone it down close to zero.

If you keep your line and don't try stupid overtakes, I have no problems finishing even the longer races 99% of the time. The backmarkers and outlap AI cars is the only problem but I have reduced even that problem by adjusting the lower end team cars/drivers accordingly. Another issue is the ai cars' pitting. I want to have mandatory pitstops in the races because playing races without them doesn't feel right. Now the ai cars can pit twice without any reason occasionally, no matter how much more starting fuel or capacity you give them. You should be able to determine "max pitstops" per car.

But everything else is adjustable and there is no such thing as "AC ai". It depends on so many different factors.

And yes, I agree. If we can't get stuff like ASR 1991 (with 100% genuine looking F1 cars and tracks) I will stick with AC1 for sure. It has some shortcomings but they are actually very minor ones. But if AC2 offers similar adjustability and just adds more features it'll be amazing.

And I agree with Scott. I don't care for the career mode but it would be great to have more depth in the Championship/season mode. And the more we can play with the settings, the better.

Last edited:
he modders creating game play
Modders have primarily created cars, tracks, and skins. Actual mods that introduce new game-play are a minority. Most of the modded content has been used to hot-lap and race and run track-days, all of which are core gameplay for AC.

Yes the tracks and cars have added to its longevity, but no by any significant or regular game-play changes, nor does the low system requirements argument hold much ground, titles of a similar age or more recent, which also have low system requirements have not seen the same long-term user counts.

My view is that AC's success is a combination of it's open approach to mods (which I fear we may no longer live in a time where its quite so easy, sim-racing was a much ignored niche back then) and luck. I say luck, as to a degree it always seems to happen that way with regard to what title happens to catch the attention and gain that critical mass of support from both players and modders.

A career mode that locks you into grinding to unlock cars or tracks is of no interest and would be a major disincentive
If there will be ingame currency then for sure you will have to "grind" to unlock or buy cars , so be prepared for that
It's been confirmed that you will be able to 'borrow' all cars, you just will not be able to mod or customise them.

Last edited:
What’s truly remarkable about AC is the incredible diversity in the way it is used and the different elements of car culture it supports, from circuit racing, to drifting, to rally, to touge, to drag racing, NASCAR and everything in between. Almost “Drivetribe” like – reminds me of the opening scene of the Grand Tour with all the different car cultures driving across the desert brought together by their love of cars.

So, as we all contemplate AC Evo, we all come to it with our own perspective, how will it support the things we love doing in AC? And given that diversity, it’s hard to imagine it will cover it all.

My own perspective is a love of motor racing through the ages, and the ability to race across all eras and all disciplines, and replicate championship seasons and major races. From a collection of over 4600 cars and 1400 circuits, I have over 220 championships built in Content Manager across Formula, Sports and GT, and Touring car categories – some I’ve built myself and some from the modding community.

Around 50 of the 74 seasons of Formula 1 can be created in varying levels of detail, some with individual, high-quality mods of each car in the season, some less so, some with a single high-quality mod/car representative of the season with liveries for each car (think RSS 70, 79, 86, 90, 10, 13). On this forum, @Apocalypse211 has accurately created around 15 F1 seasons across the 80’s, 90’s and 00’s. Pyyer’s F1 track extensions and the VRC FA means we can do the F1 season in real-time.

The AC Le Mans project now has 8 Le Mans 24hr races created with correct liveries and representative grids, some almost exact. I’ve created another 9. Similarly, there are WEC/ICM, DTM, BTCC and ATCC seasons/grids across many years from the 60’s through to today. And of course that’s just a very small sample – many other modders are doing the same to one or more elements.

For me, (and I do compete IRL in a historic Group A Alfetta GTV6 touring car, and in an Alfetta 2L GTV historic sports car) being able to re-create and experience some of the great moments in motorsport, to get some sense of what it was like is just amazing. From Mulsanne in a 917 in 1970, to Senna and Prost at Suzuka, Plato v Menu v Neal at Thruxton, Moffat v Brock or Whincup v Mostert at Bathurst, to driving through the night and winning in the 499P at Le Mans 2023 (incidentally the in-car from car 83 499P was live to Youtube and is fantastic – but what was amazing was how close it was to the AC in car!)

I see AC as more of a living, virtual encyclopedia of motorsport that you can jump into at any time and recreate virtually. And it’s the combination of the base AC game and importantly its openness, CSP, Pure/Sol, Content Manager, and the incredible modding community that has made this possible.

If I had one improvement I’d like to see in AC (other than better AI, and less volatile curbs), it would be adding more depth and functionality to the User Championships/Career building mode to support the user’s ability to build more accurate Championships with a greater ability to include the actual history of the season, and of individual races, including things like custom grids/liveries per race, weather for practice, qualifying and race, better record of results. I know some of this can be done in the current AC career mode (as opposed to User Championships) but it has to be done outside of CM and is bit tedious outside the CM interface.

So how does this relate to ACE? Well, AC started with a broad selection of race and road cars, a selection of race circuits and a couple of point-to-point road sections (and it seems ACE will start in a similar place) but looking at the ACE info to date there are several red flags for me and my own little part of the AC world.

But the positives first:
  • It seems the focus on driving physics remains – it will be a simulation – opinion on the pre-alpha has suggested a mix of AC and ACC handling and FFB feel – no bad thing
  • The focus on motorsport remains with race cars and circuits in the early access release and an in-built online (iracing style) competition
  • It looks great – the graphics do look amazing
  • Weather built-in with transition, drying line, standing water modeled, time acceleration etc
The red flags:
  • A career mode that locks you into grinding to unlock cars or tracks is of no interest and would be a major disincentive
  • The marketplace/car modding/renting (including liveries) model may or may not support building seasons/championships or putting together season grids
  • Modding may be very restrictive and impair the ability to create the cars, tracks, and championships – would it even be possible to create an ASR 1991 car pack? Will this fall under the licensing support Kunos has mentioned?
  • How easy will it be to create historic/or current track skins? Will extensions be able to be built to cover different layouts and years? Would this fall under the licensing support?
  • Haven’t seen anything on custom/user-built championships or careers – all the focus has been on the game providing a career mode.
Now these are just red flags – that is, things of concern given the announcements to date. Of course, there has been very little on modding revealed other than it will be there, and they will seek to limit IP/license infringements. There is very little detail on how career modes will work and whether they will be user customisable.

Will I buy it – of course I will! Will I still need to keep AC and my CSP/Pure subscriptions – well only time will tell, but I expect I’ll be running AC for some time yet.
Great post, now I'm going to have to explore buying a PC that can run AC just so I can do everything you've just talked about.

Thanks.....................

😅

Modders have primarily created cars, tracks, and skins. Actual mods that introduce new game-play are a minority. Most of the modded content has been used to hot-lap and race and run track-days, all of which are core gameplay for AC.

Yes the tracks and cars have added to its longevity, but no by any significant or regular game-play changes, nor does the low system requirements argument hold much ground, titles of a similar age or more recent, which also have low system requirements have not seen the same long-term user counts.

My view is that AC's success is a combination of it's open approach to mods (which I fear we may no longer live in a time where its quite so easy, sim-racing was a much ignored niche back then) and luck. I say luck, as to a degree it always seems to happen that way with regard to what title happens to catch the attention and gain that critical mass of support from both players and modders.

It's been confirmed that you will be able to 'borrow' all cars, you just will not be able to mod or customise them.
Let's not forget that the moders made it possible to have a magnificent day-night cycle, as well as some really good rain with a dry trajectory.
This will undoubtedly be better done in the next game, but what's on offer is superior to some car games.
1727690505-screenshot-a3dr-honda-s800-rsc-ks-nordschleife-12-4-124-22-32-38.png

Last edited:
Comparisons between the sim racing titles is another art form. I have a good friend who loves classic F1 and likes Automobilista 2. I have played it also and I have bought all the classic new tracks whenever they come out.

I just can't get into the driving feel at all. The cars feel way too slippery and sloppy to me. F1 car should have great tyre grip and insane downforce. That, imho, is best simulated with Lotus98T on AC. Nothing comes even close. Well the Kunos 2004 F1 Ferrari is another great base (which ASR, RSS, VRC modern cars are probably based on, more or less). They are very good.

Of course none of us have driven a real F1 car but I've driven a lot of carting cars in my youth. To me Lotus98T is the only F1 mod that actually is able to duplicate something of that tyre feel. That's why I like those 80's mods so much because the cars are based on 98T.

What I like about AMS2 is that they have simulated the "active driving of a F1 car" better. So you constantly have to tweak the steering to find the tyre grip. AC F1 driving is a bit too passive. There should also be some more bumps on the tracks and we should be able to simulate the cars' trembling more. If you look at any old F1 footage you'll see how much steering work they have to do and how much the car trembles. Those aren't simulated properly in ANY sim titles yet. What I don't like about AMS2 that cars are so slippery and oversteery which to me is very unrealistic. You can't slide a F1 car like a BMW E30 on ice unless you're Schumacher, Raikkonen, Senna or Alesi. When you lose that insane grip it's usually spin and game over.

But overall AC is still superior to everything else, imho.

How will ACE simulate the F1 cars and what F1 car bases we're going to get? We don't know yet. And as Scott said, we don't know how much we can tweak them or is there even going to be F1 car bases that we can mod? Can we have real ads, cars and all that stuff that made AC F1 mods so good?

I know most people like the street cars but as Scott said people who play AC1 are so much into different things. I'm pretty much only into classic F1. ACC is pretty good GT3 season simulator which I play occasionally... RallySimFans mod RBR is still the #1 rally title for me... and I hotlapped the street cars for years on my AC PS4 version and I've had enough of that. :D

Last edited:
I also wanted to add that we owe so much to the modders. Like I said the 1988 track pack doesn't get enough credit. It's SO good and it pretty much fits to most races in the 80's and even way to the 90's (like Spa and Monza). Shin's 1992 and 1998 track packs too. Without those packs it wouldn't have been possible to create all those seasons. No way. Track like 1979 Dijon-Prenois fits perfectly to 82 and 83 seasons and it's a masterpiece. So great to drive. I even found pretty basic Caesar's Palace 1981 and 1982 from Google... you know that worst F1 track ever and it was pretty good conversion. I mean we have stuff like that. That is hardcore, really hardcore.

Can you imagine EA releasing a full official 1982 or 1988 F1 season, ever? There are probably so many copyright issues and all that and it'd be a niche release anyway. It would probably sell 10.000 copies. Never. It has to be done by hardcore enthusiasts who actually know about that era.

Also some cars are amazing. The Kunos98 based 1986 is (imho) much better than the RSS 1986 whereas the RSS 1990 is one of the best car packs I've driven. ASR 1991 and 1992 too.

The SD cars are train wrecks in their basic form but they're fundamentally just erroneous Lotus98T which just needed some fixing. SD was the only one who provided full grid 1982, 1983, 1984 and 1988. I don't like how the VRC 1988 drives and there is no full skin pack for that, either. Amazingly the SD 1988 after mods is one of the most accurate season I've created.

SD 1993 cars were stolen and transformed from some ACFL cars. They're actually pretty good but they had a LOT of issues. You have to play through all the tracks and see how they behave before you see that some car is "fixed". I spent weeks with them and I thought they were finally fixed. Then I loaded up 1992 Adelaide and saw what a crashfest it was. Thanks to Thockard I was able to fix them finally. Like to 95% condition and they're actually pretty cool to drive and have the best sparks I've managed to do.

What has made all this possible? The crazy amount of things you're able to adjust. You can adjust pretty much everything. If you limit some of these things in ACE it's not going to be the same. Everything is fixable (besides SD cars and vintage Sandev Zandvoort heheh).

During my console days I played a lot of GT series. GT Sport and GT7 are pretty good games, really. But what I hated most about them is the arcadeish gimmick features like "Win this Skoda Cup and you'll graduate to a BMW owner". Those missions bored me to DEATH. I just wanted to drive the Nordschleife with an air cooled Porsche, AMG or the legendary Jag XJ220... not some stinkin' Lada Challenge. You had to play through that crap for WEEKS before you got the cars that you already paid for. That kind of stuff has nothing to do in a real hardcore simulation, imho and that's why AC was so great. You pay for the product and you get everything right away (at least after the Ultimate Edition was put out). Just pure driving, ZERO gimmicks.

Also... another great thing is that you can edit stuff with a Notepad. And you can extract the racing results in a javascript form, everything. It's so open and adjustable and that's exactly what made it so successful. Would Kunos make more money by restricting these possibilities and only sell DLC's? Like AMS2 sells those "classic track packs"... Monaco is called Azure, Estoril is called "Cascais", etc. I don't know. If I think about it there are only a few Kunos cars and tracks that I use. Spa, Barcelona and Monza for modern F1. The rest has been made by the modders.

The best option would be if they offer the official mods and leave the complete freedom to users to create their unofficial ones. The only problem for a commercal company is that the unofficial mods would probably be much better than the official ones. :D

Last edited:
The best option would be if they offer the official mods and leave the complete freedom to users to create their unofficial ones. The only problem for a commercal company is that the unofficial mods would probably be much better than the official ones. :D
I would not expect any unofficial modding allowed until Kunos was finished their official DLC packages and support adding additional content to EVO which may well be a few years after the games official full launch.

I will say I have read that at times Kunos is one of those companies that will hire the best modders from their previous games and those with talent doing some of the mods on AC1 may be part of the team actually developing EVO.

One thing Kunos did do with ACC was develop specific car classes and regional or series official circuits for those DLC packs and they did an excellent job keeping the focus on a smaller bite at the apple at any given time frame.

I actually hope that they take this approach when developing car classes. series along with historical tracks for different eras for their DLC packages.
With EVO being open and not focused on any one discipline like ACC the sky is the limit in the amount of avenues for Kunos to correctly depict and try to recreate.

Another advantage to this type of DLC path as a racer or player of EVO you would only buy the dlc packages that the cars and circuits interested you and would have the option to skip and not purchase DLC's where you really had no interest in the cars being offered.

Personally as an old guy the later 60's through early 70's LeMans types of cars- Ford GT's, Chaparrals, Porsche 917's, Ferrari's along with the same era of American Trans Am series- Camaro'S, Mustang's, Challenger's, Cuda's, Javelin's and so forth would be a couple I would like to see.

I would also across the era's see a lot of "club" racers which are realistic road going models of cars reasonably modified from their showroom form into a common man's closed circuit weapon.

These are the types of classes and cars that the everyday man can reasonably afford to take to the track and turn laps and race on a real world bank account.

The Mini's, Miata's, lesser Porsche models, Camaro's and Mustangs, Corvettes and even Vipers.
Then you cannot forget the current craze for the touring cars that can fit into this category as well.

You want a game with a broad appeal but yet still realistic then really EVO is again right now a blank slate to do it all if Kunos takes the title to its potential.

Last edited:
I also wanted to add that we owe so much to the modders. Like I said the 1988 track pack doesn't get enough credit. It's SO good and it pretty much fits to most races in the 80's and even way to the 90's (like Spa and Monza). Shin's 1992 and 1998 track packs too. Without those packs it wouldn't have been possible to create all those seasons. No way. Track like 1979 Dijon-Prenois fits perfectly to 82 and 83 seasons and it's a masterpiece. So great to drive. I even found pretty basic Caesar's Palace 1981 and 1982 from Google... you know that worst F1 track ever and it was pretty good conversion. I mean we have stuff like that. That is hardcore, really hardcore.

Can you imagine EA releasing a full official 1982 or 1988 F1 season, ever? There are probably so many copyright issues and all that and it'd be a niche release anyway. It would probably sell 10.000 copies. Never. It has to be done by hardcore enthusiasts who actually know about that era.

Also some cars are amazing. The Kunos98 based 1986 is (imho) much better than the RSS 1986 whereas the RSS 1990 is one of the best car packs I've driven. ASR 1991 and 1992 too.

The SD cars are train wrecks in their basic form but they're fundamentally just erroneous Lotus98T which just needed some fixing. SD was the only one who provided full grid 1982, 1983, 1984 and 1988. I don't like how the VRC 1988 drives and there is no full skin pack for that, either. Amazingly the SD 1988 after mods is one of the most accurate season I've created.

SD 1993 cars were stolen and transformed from some ACFL cars. They're actually pretty good but they had a LOT of issues. You have to play through all the tracks and see how they behave before you see that some car is "fixed". I spent weeks with them and I thought they were finally fixed. Then I loaded up 1992 Adelaide and saw what a crashfest it was. Thanks to Thockard I was able to fix them finally. Like to 95% condition and they're actually pretty cool to drive and have the best sparks I've managed to do.

What has made all this possible? The crazy amount of things you're able to adjust. You can adjust pretty much everything. If you limit some of these things in ACE it's not going to be the same. Everything is fixable (besides SD cars and vintage Sandev Zandvoort heheh).

During my console days I played a lot of GT series. GT Sport and GT7 are pretty good games, really. But what I hated most about them is the arcadeish gimmick features like "Win this Skoda Cup and you'll graduate to a BMW owner". Those missions bored me to DEATH. I just wanted to drive the Nordschleife with an air cooled Porsche, AMG or the legendary Jag XJ220... not some stinkin' Lada Challenge. You had to play through that crap for WEEKS before you got the cars that you already paid for. That kind of stuff has nothing to do in a real hardcore simulation, imho and that's why AC was so great. You pay for the product and you get everything right away (at least after the Ultimate Edition was put out). Just pure driving, ZERO gimmicks.

Also... another great thing is that you can edit stuff with a Notepad. And you can extract the racing results in a javascript form, everything. It's so open and adjustable and that's exactly what made it so successful. Would Kunos make more money by restricting these possibilities and only sell DLC's? Like AMS2 sells those "classic track packs"... Monaco is called Azure, Estoril is called "Cascais", etc. I don't know. If I think about it there are only a few Kunos cars and tracks that I use. Spa, Barcelona and Monza for modern F1. The rest has been made by the modders.

In nearly every case, community created content is far better than anything from a business. Community has endless time and can make endless revisions and is fueled by the greatest passions. business is profit and time is money. Art and Passion can not be bound by project MBA manager PHBs.

Gaming businesses best bet is a platform with deep detailed stat tracking and accountability that they can monetize with Pro mode subscriptions and making content super trivial to access from league creation, track creation, player designed events, cars, parts for cars, tunes, Player created HUDs, etc like the Android Play Store, Steam, etc.

Even GT7 is greatly standing on liveries, helmets and suit superficial content.

In nearly every case, community created content is far better than anything from a business. Community has endless time and can make endless revisions and is fueled by the greatest passions. business is profit and time is money. Art and Passion can not be bound by project MBA manager PHBs.

I agree. The best things in AC are mods. No doubt. There's very few original Kunos cars and tracks I've used in a long time.

AC in its vanilla form is phenomenal game. But it's just a hotlap simulator basically. Very good one at that but it has no real "depth". As a classic F1 fanatic I can't imagine a commerical product that would have the same atmosphere as some of the modded stuff we have.

ACC is an amazing product, really. It's too much of that tyre pressure thing for my tastes though but it's very polished and good game. ACC FFB is decent but AC1 FFB is still superior, imho.

I'm sure ACE will be amazing. Will it ever replace AC1? That's the question. Maybe not. Maybe it doesn't have to. Very interesting to see.

the other big advantage of modding is the lack of licensing issues. As long as the mod is free to use, no complex and challenging licenses are required. For a small company like Kunos, a large car and track list to compete with GT or Forza is impossible, and mods can fill in.

On the other hand, loads of mods are of low quality, and finding the really good ones takes time and effort. A professional game dev needs to ensure consistent quality which might not be the best but is hugely better than the average mod. And licensed too.

It's too much of that tyre pressure thing for my tastes though
As someone that did some club level racing on two wheels in my more distant past never discount what a 1/2lb of air pressure difference can make with temperatures and heat build up-grip, how different tire brands and compounds react to the same including wear and cold tearing and how much even slight shock settings and rebound rates again affect the overall handling package of a vehicle on the track.

Over a race weekend probably more time is devoted to tracking and adjusting air pressures to adapt to changing air/track temps than any other single thing.

Even trying different brands of rubber require totally different settings across the board in most cases.

One concept I did like within ACC was the three different factory suspension/car set up choices which would make the car more or less stable and loose depending on your choices.

I think for online racing this type of multiple choice option for "fixed class" races still allow the racer to choose a suspension setting that more suites their driving style than just one fixed choice where the racer is forced to adjust their driving style more to the car set up.
I know I prefer a rear wheel drive car more slightly loose than tight.

Also if the game is doing the air pressures right this is where a racer should be able to dictate grip levels and longevity of tire life again rewarding certain driving styles and tire life for strategy purposes.

Another thing is only allowing this type of set up suspension choices a racer does not need to be an engineer nor feel compiled to pay for suspension settings to be competitive again which is a good thing.

And with the air pressure as long as the target best air pressure is known adjusting it to correctly fit the conditions and again these pressures may be different for a more aggressive attacking type driver than the smoother keep the momentum type of driving style.

That was one thing I liked about ACC was using the weather/time of day to correctly set the Air pressures.
Was the temp going up or was it going to drop?
It makes a difference to your air pressure settings across the upcoming run! LOL!

Is EVO going to allow both typical compressed air molecular composition along with pure nitrogen filled tires? So sick of getting krypton variances.

1729798898215.png

Last edited:
ACC was a humbling experience to me. I practiced a few days and did low 1:57 at Nurburgring GT with the Bentley and I thought it was a perfect lap with perfect settings. And I thought I was a great sim racer. Then I went to watch those guys driving online races and they clock constant 1:55 and 1:56 there, 40 laps in a row. :D

Last edited:
If there will be ingame currency then for sure you will have to "grind" to unlock or buy cars , so be prepared for that
I dont see that as bad thing, i think that is one of the reasons why i am extra excited for evo,

The fact that kunos will add both a career mode with ingame economy, and the option to modify cars is really game changing in my opinion,

And of free roam maps will have the abillity to drive to workshops and dealerships it will be absolutly insane,

We could have the best part of both forza horizon, test drive unlimited and gran turismo on our hands while still doing simulation physics.

Ac1 rely almost only on modding, the base game was quite lacking,
I stop played it because there was just no progression or reason to really come back to it,

Ac evo seems to be able to do so much more both in terms of features and gamemodes campared to ac1,

The base game will most likely be much bigger than ac1,
Even if it gets less modding than ac1, ac evo is still going to be bigger for me,
The game can have thousands of cars but if there is nothing you can really do with them its not going to catch my intrest as much in the longrun

I rather have 200 cars with options like upgrade the engine and other customize options than thousands of cars you cant do anything with,

Ac evo could be the very first simulator that could pretty much do anything regardless of what you intrest are.

I 100% agree what Marko Said in one of the interviews,
That just picking a car and track is not good enough in this day and age,

Very excited for evo🔥

Last edited:
I dont see that as bad thing, i think that is one of the reasons why i am extra excited for evo,

The fact that kunos will add both a career mode with ingame economy, and the option to modify cars is really game changing in my opinion,

And of free roam maps will have the abillity to drive to workshops and dealerships it will be absolutly insane,

We could have the best part of both forza horizon, test drive unlimited and gran turismo on our hands while still doing simulation physics.

I stop played it because there was just no progression or reason to really come back to it,

Ac evo seems to be able to do so much more both in terms of features and gamemodes campared to ac1,

Even if it gets less modding than ac1, ac evo is still going to be bigger for me,
The game can have thousands of cars but if there is nothing you can really do with them its not going to catch my intrest as much in the longrun

I rather have 200 cars with options like upgrade the engine and other customize options than thousands of cars you cant do anything with,

Ac evo could be the very first simulator that could pretty much do anything regardless of what you intrest are.

Very excited for evo🔥
It really does depend on your perspective and what is of interest to you personally, and of course there’s no right or wrong answer, just personal taste. Everything described here is of absolutely no interest to me at all, I have no interest in the Forza/Gran Turismo/Test Drive genre, and you get the sense, as you’ve said, that Evo will be a combo of those games and simulation physics, which no doubt is big market for Kunos to tap into (the player numbers for Forza are huge)

Personally though, I’m not looking for a “game”, I’m looking to recreate the history of motorsport and insert myself in that history to get a sense of what it was like, and immerse myself in both the era and the competition. I can say I never get tired of this. There are so many eras and classes, there are a couple I come back to more than others (60’s/90’s F1, BTCC in the VRC cars, 1970-ish lemans/icm, 2000 GT1, early DTM) and with so many more series to create I can’t see myself getting bored.

With such a diverse range of views and perspectives can Evo be all things to all people (as AC was)? Maybe in the longer term (but this really depends on the modding restrictions, the “adjustability” and for me, the user Championships - plus I really cant see a lot of the content I value (eg the ASR 90’s F1 seasons) coming cross to Evo) so at this point it seems in the short term at least AC is going nowhere. I do wonder what Ilja and Peter are thinking/planning?

As I said before, of course I’ll buy it just for the driving experience but if it is Forza plus simulation, I’ll be the one with little reason to go back to it.

and for me, the user Championships - plus I really cant see a lot of the content I value (eg the ASR 90’s F1 seasons) coming cross to Evo)
It is so true different people want to see different things as the purpose for EVO to become their go to platform.

I want to see more of an ACC type of experience but spread out over more era's and classes and racing disciplines that was not possible with the licensing of ACC.

I would also like to see a paint shop/ livery editor very similar to that used in Gran Turismo as making the "race car" your personalized creation or even a reproduction of one of your favorite schemes from a car in another time or past driver adds a lot to the immersion when driving it.

The free roam aspect I am not really that interested in personally and as far as an in game economy goes only as it may apply to a race team season budget where taking care of your equipment keeps better stuff under you for an entire season and crashing a bunch of cars can flat bankrupt you out of racing next week or next month.

That is the type of realism that lacks in many racing scenario's that having a set budget cap could affect how one goes about racing.
Total too many race cars and how you are going to pay for tires at next week's race could become a problem!

And of course, all of these things could be options that could be enacted or even turned off.

Very excited for evo🔥
The sentence about picking a car and track is not good enough. To me, at my age, it is enough. :lol:

In Gran Turismo, it’s just what we have to do in building up a bank account. Assetto Corsa spoiled me. Here, pick a car and enjoy.
ACC spoiled me as well. Here, pick a car and enjoy. Sure, “Why not both?”, multiple options are a good thing. In this franchise, I like the not worrying about having to get money and work out what I want to get. I guess since those were straight up race focused, ACE will be a one stop shop for all types of players. Good stuff.

The fact that Kunos are trying to cater to everyone should be celebrated. I use AC to race, hotlap, cruise, but I also miss the days of GT4 obtaining my licenses and a decent career mode. Having it all in one package and most importantly, with good physics is more than I can ask for.
People focus too much on the game having stuff they're not gonna use, forgetting that what they use it for will also be there.
It will be a much more complete sim from the start than AC was, and it will be up again to the modders to fill in the gaps in terms of content to cover all eras of motorsports and stuff people wanna see, but the fact that modding will be limited is something we just have to accept. Had Kunos known the scale of ripped content that would make it into AC1, they would've never allowed it in the first place, so we should be happy it even exists.

Can't agree, for every amazing mod that reflects the very best that can be done with the tools, i.e. any track Fat-Alfie has done, we have dozens and dozens of mods that are poorly modded crud.

Yes modded content can be great, but most of it, if we're honest, isn't.

I think it was "Gamermuscle" that said in one of his videos that Evo's biggest competitor would be AC1 - and I think there's an element of that for a lot of us having been spoilt for choice in our own particular slice of AC1. For some the first iteration of EVO will hit the mark (and probably for a lot of non-AC1 devotees who'll come across from other games), and for others it might be a long wait until the modding capability is there and the modding community catches up.

Can't agree, for every amazing mod that reflects the very best that can be done with the tools, i.e. any track Fat-Alfie has done, we have dozens and dozens of mods that are poorly modded crud.

Yes modded content can be great, but most of it, if we're honest, isn't.
There is a lot of crud no doubt, but some of my favorite AC tracks and cars are non-Kunos mods (Fat Alfie, Lilski, ASR, RSS, VRC, URD, Sergio Loro, et al). Having said that some of the crud has been useful in filling out grids, providing tracks that no one would ever do etc My question for Evo is how much of that great content will get to Evo without restriction? I could see a VRC mod, say FA2024 being sanctioned, but what about all the real skins that the community produces? Will they be allowed? I can't see F1 licensing allowing that if it's via an official mod "shop".

Back