Assetto corsa coming to PS4 and Xbox one

• Thread starter hennessey86
  • 10,511 comments
FMW
Speaking of wheels...has there been an official list of compatible wheels for the PS4??
devs said earlier today that if its supported on ps4 then it will work with AC

21e71ddc0114751c5584be6c1d2e870d.png

well apart from madcatz but why would you get something from them in the first place.

From the description:
This video is a response to Kunos' gamepad vs. wheel comparison video and especially to those, who said they were driving intentionally bad with the wheel, to make the controller look good. This is me, driving with a DualShock 4, ABS and TCS on factory default, default setup. As you can see, I'm a good bit quicker and not even consider myself a very talented driver. Assetto Corsa DOES drive well with a gamepad!

I just couldn't resist.

I'm kinda on the other side, I don't really see any reason not to. When I was a PS3 player I so desperately wanted an alternative to GT5/6 but despite a the game's flaws nothing else came close to measuring up so I was stuck with it. Even if AC has a few bugs at launch (it's almost a guarantee there will be at least a couple) the game will get fixed and patched and updated. I'd rather get some free cars and live with a few weeks of bug-fixing then wait and end up getting it anyway and then having to pay for the cars.

I'm sure some players are (understandably) hesitant after the PCARS fiasco. But based on Kunos history and dedication I'd expect any problems will be tended to quickly.

Just my opinion of course.

I didn't question pre-ordering per se. I'm saying there's no real difference whether you pre-order months, weeks, or days before release - except you are less likely to regret the decision once all pre-release information has been presented.

From the description:
This video is a response to Kunos' gamepad vs. wheel comparison video and especially to those, who said they were driving intentionally bad with the wheel, to make the controller look good. This is me, driving with a DualShock 4, ABS and TCS on factory default, default setup. As you can see, I'm a good bit quicker and not even consider myself a very talented driver. Assetto Corsa DOES drive well with a gamepad!

I just couldn't resist.

What about no assist ? Do you use the rear trigger for gas/brake ? The face buttons of DS4 is not analogue anymore, so they are like on/off switch, I can't imagine them be good for gas/brake, especially without assist.

What about no assist ? Do you use the rear trigger for gas/brake ? The face buttons of DS4 is not analogue anymore, so they are like on/off switch, I can't imagine them be good for gas/brake, especially without assist.
I usually try to make it as realistic as possible and those GT3 cars are full with assists. :D
I'm using the right stick for throttle and brakes. That's the most comfortable way for me, thanks to my disability.
Driving without assists isn't an issue though, I even love monsters like the 250F.

Do people actually use the face buttons for gas/brake? That sounds nasty.

I use it on PS3 games like GT6, although I used DS2 with adapter.

I usually try to make it as realistic as possible and those GT3 cars are full with assists. :D
I'm using the right stick for throttle and brakes. That's the most comfortable way for me, thanks to my disability.
Driving without assists isn't an issue though, I even love monsters like the 250F.

Right stick, I see, do you assign second brake button for left foot braking ? I prefer rear trigger over right stick, but that just me.

I really hoped my DS2 USB adapter works on PS4 :D so I can use the great analogue face buttons like I did in GT6, high chance it may work as the USB adapter uses similar interface driver as keyboard/mouse as it can be used on PC as well. I never use assist like ABS or TC.

Why I keep seeing "honest" word being used ? :lol: Is there dishonest videos ?

Menus look pretty decent but I really don't like how the selection screens are cluttered with variations of the same things. For example, all layouts of the different tracks are listed in succession and the F40 has two slots because of the unofficial S3 version. I can think of at least two methods to organize these things better.

Why I keep seeing "honest" word being used ? :lol: Is there dishonest videos ?

I believe there are some.

Last edited:
Can't say I liked hearing the part about the game crashing 5 or 6 times (during gameplay and menus) on the PS4.
I very much doubt he was playing the final build. It could even be the preview build they showed the press a few months ago; it's just impossible to know. I'd expect to see more footage from this event popping up online if it's a near-final build of the game though. And also a nice day one patch could help iron out some bugs here and there.

devs said earlier today that if its supported on ps4 then it will work with AC

21e71ddc0114751c5584be6c1d2e870d.png

well apart from madcatz but why would you get something from them in the first place.

That's still somewhat vague. Why not just list all the known wheels they are going to support?? For one, there is no FANATEC wheel that the PS4 supports natively. The actual game developer has to support it. Just like F1 2015 and Project Cars.

I dunno, can't say I've noticed the return of the ghosts, at least not to the extent we had when pCARS first launched. Man, that was awful, wasn't it? Kinda almost forgot about that debacle. Although I'd personally rather have some ghosting than tearing but I can't really see it too much here.

I guess the flip side of no AA is nasty jaggies a la Forza 6 which is equally off-putting. Time shall tell!

Remember the PS4 Pcars videos that we were all discussing pre-release. The ghosting was there, but wasn't very noticeable on the youtube videos unless you paused the videos when things were whizzing past the screen. There was a lengthy discussion about what it was, if it was a big deal, if it would be better in the released game, etc. That AC video looks every bit as bad as the Pcars videos to me. Try pausing it when the car is mid-corner, the ghosting is hugely obvious, and pretty bad.

As for having no AA at all, that isn't the alternative to temporal AA. Temporal AA is specifically used to reduce screen tearing at low fps. You use temporal AA alonside a regular AA (SSAA, FXAA, or MSAA), it's not a replacement for the AA that reduces jaggies. In Pcars, when you turn the temporal level down to 0, you still have the regular AA working, just no ghosting. It can lead to some screen tearing, but not a whole lot. IMO, a bit of screen tearing isn't as bad in a racing game as having ghosting, as the ghosting makes it nearly impossible to focus when turning, which can make you feel quite sick.

Marco posted on his FB yesterday a photo of thd 488 GTB using the latest AA and reflections their programmer has been working on which will be included in 1.8.

As I've said above, the temporal AA isn't their regular AA, it's used in conjunction with a regular AA method. Static images won't be affected by temporal AA, as the ghosting occurs when things are moving across the screen.

I just hope they give the option to turn it off. Or even better, have a slider like Pcars. That way people can find their own preference for middle ground between screen tearing and ghosting.

Edit: Took some screenshots of what I'm talking about. The compression of the Youtube video goes some way to masking the issue in motion, due to the video being quite blurry, and also doesn't help that my cruddy laptop can only run the video smoothly at lower resolutions, but pausing the video gives you a clear view of the ghosting.

Last edited:
Remember the PS4 Pcars videos that we were all discussing pre-release. The ghosting was there, but wasn't very noticeable on the youtube videos unless you paused the videos when things were whizzing past the screen. There was a lengthy discussion about what it was, if it was a big deal, if it would be better in the released game, etc. That AC video looks every bit as bad as the Pcars videos to me. Try pausing it when the car is mid-corner, the ghosting is hugely obvious, and pretty bad.

As for having no AA at all, that isn't the alternative to temporal AA. Temporal AA is specifically used to reduce screen tearing at low fps. You use temporal AA alonside a regular AA (SSAA, FXAA, or MSAA), it's not a replacement for the AA that reduces jaggies. In Pcars, when you turn the temporal level down to 0, you still have the regular AA working, just no ghosting. It can lead to some screen tearing, but not a whole lot. IMO, a bit of screen tearing isn't as bad in a racing game as having ghosting, as the ghosting makes it nearly impossible to focus when turning, which can make you feel quite sick.

As I've said above, the temporal AA isn't their regular AA, it's used in conjunction with a regular AA method. Static images won't be affected by temporal AA, as the ghosting occurs when things are moving across the screen.

I just hope they give the option to turn it off. Or even better, have a slider like Pcars. That way people can find their own preference for middle ground between screen tearing and ghosting.
Well, now that you mention it... I ran the pause test and yep, ghosts. If they're back and look bad then let's hope they listen to feedback from players, as SMS did, and as you say, give us the option to tweak it as we see fit. Will be interesting to see what happens about it for sure.

Edit: Took some screenshots of what I'm talking about. The compression of the Youtube video goes some way to masking the issue in motion, due to the video being quite blurry, and also doesn't help that my cruddy laptop can only run the video smoothly at lower resolutions, but pausing the video gives you a clear view of the ghosting.

Did those photos show up for you guys? They're not showing up for me, but when I go into edit the post, the photos all load fine in the little edit box lol. Strange. Probably just a little glitch that'll sort itself out.

Did those photos show up for you guys? They're not showing up for me, but when I go into edit the post, the photos all load fine in the little edit box lol. Strange. Probably just a little glitch that'll sort itself out.
Not for me, they've all got crosses in the thumbnails.
I wonder if it's worth starting a thread now on the official forums to let them know how big an issue it was for SMS and how they patched a solution for us pretty much first thing (I'm sure it was only a few weeks after pCARS launched) so they've got some time to work on it. Or at least ask if their temporal AA is causing this issue and see what the response is (if any)?

Nope.

Not for me, they've all got crosses in the thumbnails.
I wonder if it's worth starting a thread now on the official forums to let them know how big an issue it was for SMS and how they patched a solution for us pretty much first thing (I'm sure it was only a few weeks after pCARS launched) so they've got some time to work on it. Or at least ask if their temporal AA is causing this issue and see what the response is (if any)?

I'd never ask a dev if something in their game is causing issues, as they're not too likely to be perfectly honest, especially right before their game comes out lol. But yeah, def report it as an issue, and mention SMS had to roll out a slider in the first patch for Pcars to allow people to reduce or turn it off. Seeing the ghosting, and hearing about multiple game crashes worries me, because while Pcars runs fine now, it was a bloody nightmare to begin with!

Any particular reason why the images would load in the reply box, but not load once I've posted the reply? I just copied the BBCode link to the Flickr photo as I usually do when posting pics here, and they always worked in the past :odd:

If you click the little crossed image logo it will still go to my Flickr page where you can view these photos anyway. They're all public so just do that if you wanna see them I guess :dunce:

Any particular reason why the images would load in the reply box, but not load once I've posted the reply? I just copied the BBCode link to the Flickr photo as I usually do when posting pics here, and they always worked in the past :odd:

If you click the little crossed image logo it will still go to my Flickr page where you can view these photos anyway. They're all public so just do that if you wanna see them I guess :dunce:
No idea. Anything from Twitter or Facebook in a post doesn't show up for me either. I did click the X's after you mentioned it and I can see it that way though.

We have a Porsche owner here who owns a classic Porsche and he feels that the YB handles quite similar to his car when you run it without boost. (@panjandrum )

Yes, it does. It's amazing how much my RL motorsports experience translates directly from classic RR Porsche 911s into AC. My inputs translate properly into how the car behaves; the FFB (I use a Thrustmaster T500 and a Logitech G25, depending on location, and both work fine) communicates the feel back to me very accurately as well.

With boost at minimum the YB in AC feels as close as I could imagine is possible without a full-motion racing simulator. There is still a bit more power there in the YB, but not enough to change the handling to any significant degree.

As you add boost to the YB the car gets harder and harder to manage because you have to be much more careful with the go pedal. The issue is; unless you are a drifting god, you don't actually EVER want the rear tires of these classic RR cars to spin up, because that causes loss of lateral grip. What you want, is for the weight over those rear tires to provide fantastic grip, dig in and cause acceleration. That causes a rearward weight transfer and then either completely neutral balance or predictably manageable understeer depending on throttle position. IF, instead of doing this, you spin up the rears, as the YB (at any moderate or high boost level) will do fairly easily despite the RR layout, you are just totally screwed, because you've just lost rear lateral traction on car with a rear weight bias... Bad news. Very bad new.

Last edited:
My L2 is **** up I stuck whole time when I press it. So I use for break triangle.
Well that's a valid reason then. I had issues with my L2 sticking on an old pad so I opened it up and found a small metal clip had broken inside which prevented the button springing back into position. Had to get a new pad. DS4 quality not amazing.

From the description:

I just couldn't resist.

A lot better than me with the Xbox 360 wired pad. I use the triggers for brake and throttle but I'm all over the place with the steering. It's the same in GT6 with a DS3 though. I've just got too used to a wheel to adapt back to a pad.

Something's up with posting images from flickr on GTPlanet today. Not sure whose fault it is, but I had the exact same problem just now.

I very much doubt he was playing the final build. It could even be the preview build they showed the press a few months ago; it's just impossible to know. I'd expect to see more footage from this event popping up online if it's a near-final build of the game though. And also a nice day one patch could help iron out some bugs here and there.
He mentioned that Kunos had "a few weeks" to solve this, not months. Which makes me believe that it is a recent build.

But anyway, we're just making guesses here. It's not worth much discussion, other than it does shake one's confidence.

Something's up with posting images from flickr on GTPlanet today. Not sure whose fault it is, but I had the exact same problem just now.

Ah ok cheers for that mate. I do now remember that the same thing happened to me ages ago, when I was trying to post Driveclub photos. It'll no doubt be fixed soon.

He mentioned that Kunos had "a few weeks" to solve this, not months. Which makes me believe that it is a recent build.

But anyway, we're just making guesses here. It's not worth much discussion, other than it does shake one's confidence.
You're right. I'm really looking forward to this game regardless!

Tbh my confidence isn't shaken, I'm confident the game will progressively get better in all departments. Also on ACs fb page they said red pack will not be out on day one in a reply to a question, but they also said they didn't know when the porsche pack is coming, whilst Marco told us September.

Back