Assetto Corsa | News and General Discussion

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 10,320 comments
Won't happen in AC1 due to no rain or night racing. The mod version we have works great for what we can currently do in AC.
I don't use mods anymore to get me used to the base game for when I get it on PS4. (PC being not good enough for racing frame rate wise.)

I don't use mods anymore to get me used to the base game for when I get it on PS4. (PC being not good enough for racing frame rate wise.)

Regardless, they can't do Le Mans "properly" with the current engine due to using a single light source. They could maybe get rain in the current engine but they've decided everyone only does one rain race to check it out and then never use it again, so it's probably not likely either.

Regardless, they can't do Le Mans "properly" with the current engine due to using a single light source. They could maybe get rain in the current engine but they've decided everyone only does one rain race to check it out and then never use it again, so it's probably not likely either.
True enough but you don't actually have to do 24 hour races there know.

I would love La Sarthe even if it never had dynamic weather and time effects. It is one of the most significant race circuits in the world and not having it present is a big loss. People play Assetto Corsa knowing no track has these effects and because of that I think having La Sarthe without them would not be a problem.

Besides we will get the Toyota TS040-HYBRID, Audi R18 e-tron quattro and Porsche 919 Hybrid over the coming months and to have the battleground these cars where designed for makes perfect sense.

Is this true in your case? I never set races to rain unlessit was to take photos or just to check it out. Having said that I'd always vote for the inclusion of rain.

Is this true in your case? I never set races to rain unlessit was to take photos or just to check it out. Having said that I'd always vote for the inclusion of rain.

My only experience with rain is in Gran Turismo which probably wasn't the best implementation, but I enjoyed it on occasion. I would want it to be implemented with some true randomness though, and with a forecast, so it would be unpredictable and could catch you out, but also have flexibility so you could set it for something specific if you want. It would need to be done well though, in GT it just felt like it subtracted grip instead changing the dynamic of the grip. I'd love to have a good, random system to introduce into my club races, some surprise rain now and then could shake things up.

since this is also for general discussion on the game, i figured i would ask here...

i have never used a wheel for a game, but i plan on getting one when ac comes to console. what wheel do you all use / recommend between a g29 or t300 rs? bot hare of equal cost at 299$. not sure what i should prioritize. it seems general the t300 has better ffb than g29, but the g29 has better pedals. having a tough time making up my mind.

since this is also for general discussion on the game, i figured i would ask here...

i have never used a wheel for a game, but i plan on getting one when ac comes to console. what wheel do you all use / recommend between a g29 or t300 rs? bot hare of equal cost at 299$. not sure what i should prioritize. it seems general the t300 has better ffb than g29, but the g29 has better pedals. having a tough time making up my mind.
T300 will be both stronger and smoother but the pedals really blow. G29 won't be as strong and it's a different kind of feedback with the gear mechanism vs. the belt on the T300. T300 also gets you into the Thrustmaster ecosystem and allows you to mix and match all sorts of combinations of wheels, pedals and shifters. As a G27 owner if I was making the choice I'd go T300 and just get the better pedals down the road if I couldn't afford them right now.

I was a G27 user and went for the G29, since I was concerned at the T300's reliability issues and the extras I would have to buy. I must say the G29 feels really good in AC and the new brake pedal is a big improvement.

I'm hoping that any Le Mans cars coming to AC in the future has a low downforce and high downforce setup. The Sauber C9 currently only has low drag mode and is totally useless on other tracks beside La Sarthe (weird too because they don't have the track as standard).

In addition to what JP says, it basically comes down to better wheel FFB (T300) vs better stock pedals & reliability (G29). If you are a first time buyer I'd just go with G29. The FFB is good enough for beginners and you will have a peace of mind. Several years down the line if you have more cash to blow and gotten quite good with a wheel, then I'd consider a T300 (or maybe even a better wheel will have come out then). Buying Thrustmaster for a first wheel is like playing roulette. Just save yourself the headache if the wheel breaks down.

I took another look at the trailer and these are the cars that I gleaned from it:
In-game or CG:
2015 919 Hybrid
2016 911 Carrera or 911 Carrera S (991)

Stock footage/Racing footage:
911 GT3 RS (991)
718 Boxster S
Cayman GT4 (981)
918 Spyder
2014 919 Hybrid
935/78
935/76
911 (classic) of some kind, racing
911 GT3 Cup (991)
911 RSR (991)
1973 911 Carrera RSR (#59 Brumos and #63 Gelo)
917K (1970)
936/77
911 GT1-98
2015 919 Hybrid
911 GT3 R (991)

Then there's quick fire footage near the trailer climax that includes what I think is the P-wagen, the 718 RSK, 917/30, 1971 917K, 962C and 911 GT1-96, as well as several cars previously seen.

I think we can expect the 5 road cars that are featured in the trailer and the race cars that were most heavily featured I'd expect as well.

Unfortunately no sign of the Carrera GT... :(

T300 will be both stronger and smoother but the pedals really blow. G29 won't be as strong and it's a different kind of feedback with the gear mechanism vs. the belt on the T300. T300 also gets you into the Thrustmaster ecosystem and allows you to mix and match all sorts of combinations of wheels, pedals and shifters. As a G27 owner if I was making the choice I'd go T300 and just get the better pedals down the road if I couldn't afford them right now.

In addition to what JP says, it basically comes down to better wheel FFB (T300) vs better stock pedals & reliability (G29). If you are a first time buyer I'd just go with G29. The FFB is good enough for beginners and you will have a peace of mind. Several years down the line if you have more cash to blow and gotten quite good with a wheel, then I'd consider a T300 (or maybe even a better wheel will have come out then). Buying Thrustmaster for a first wheel is like playing roulette. Just save yourself the headache if the wheel breaks down.

thanks for the input guys. is thrustmaster really that much of a crapshoot on reliability? i would definitely rather the better peals nad reliability over a slightly better ffb for sure. i am also one who tends to be unlucky with broken items when i place my more expensive purchases.

what do you guys think about the new GT sport thrustmaster that is coming out. i have no clue what the significance is, but it is to be a direct drive wheel? would that make it more reliable than the belt driven t300s?

Yes but also a lot more expensive. Having jumped from a G27 to a T300, I cant say anything bad about the reliability. Its been working like a charm since Xmas 2015 and the FFB is really a lot better than on the G27. But that is just my experience and I never even used the T300 pedals, since I got a set of T500 pedals on the insanely cheap. So take that with a huge grain of salt.

Unfortunately no sign of the Carrera GT... :(
If you think about what it could compete against, there's nothing really in AC.

A 959 versus F40 battle would be great, for instance. And obviously 918 versus P1 versus LaFerrari.

13494783_10154303658863069_8438034881585056787_n.jpg

vallelunga billboards :cheers:

I'd go for the T300, like JP said it gets you into the TM ecosystem so you can buy different rims, pedals, and a shifter. And if they release a better base in the future you'll likely be able to just buy the base and still use all your other goodies with it so it makes future upgrades more affordable. Granted the pedals and shifter will work on the PC regardless of what wheel you buy, but the T300 is head and shoulders above a Logitech wheel in terms of feel, ffb, and fit/finish, belt drive is just so much better than gears. Also, I believe some games might still be having issues with G29 compatibility. If you do have problems with the T300 Thrustmaster is pretty good at getting it rectified. I've had a G27, T300, and a CSW and the T300 is almost as good as the CSW but for half the price, the G27 felt like a cheap toy in comparison. Just my $.02 USD.

If you think about what it could compete against, there's nothing really in AC.

A 959 versus F40 battle would be great, for instance. And obviously 918 versus P1 versus LaFerrari.

Don't say that! It's just going to make us want an MC12, or an Enzo, or an SLR McLaren as well. :lol:

thanks for the input guys. is thrustmaster really that much of a crapshoot on reliability? i would definitely rather the better peals nad reliability over a slightly better ffb for sure. i am also one who tends to be unlucky with broken items when i place my more expensive purchases.

what do you guys think about the new GT sport thrustmaster that is coming out. i have no clue what the significance is, but it is to be a direct drive wheel? would that make it more reliable than the belt driven t300s?

If you look at the Steering Wheel forum here, the T300 poll thread I think has 50% unreliability rate :crazy: Now keep in mind that generally people who have no problems tend not to post, but you practically hear at least one person's wheel breaking down every week. Compare to the various Logitech wheels where there's not many complaints over years.

I echo what everyone has said about T300 feedback and ecosystem being much better. And it is. The T300 undoubtedly blows the G29 when it actually works. Now I don't know about you, but I only have 1-2 hours of gaming per week and I want to use it to play. Not call up customer service and keep resending my wheel back for repairs. If your whole life is gaming, though, then it might be ok :lol:

The new wheel there hasn't been much info about it. If it is direct drive it's likely going to be even more expensive. Reliability depends on the materials used. Direct drive can produce MUCH stronger forces, so if they keep using the same materials as previous wheels it's likely we'll see even MORE reliability issues :crazy:

Your situation, being a first time buyer is much easier. Go for reliability. G29 FFB is good enough for when you're starting out. My position, because I've had a G25 for years, buying a G29 would be worthless in terms of FFB, and buying T300 will give me a headache about reliability. I'm stuck between 2 bad choices with no clear answer :banghead:

If you look at the Steering Wheel forum here, the T300 poll thread I think has 50% unreliability rate :crazy: Now keep in mind that generally people who have no problems tend not to post, but you practically hear at least one person's wheel breaking down every week. Compare to the various Logitech wheels where there's not many complaints over years.

I echo what everyone has said about T300 feedback and ecosystem being much better. And it is. The T300 undoubtedly blows the G29 when it actually works. Now I don't know about you, but I only have 1-2 hours of gaming per week and I want to use it to play. Not call up customer service and keep resending my wheel back for repairs. If your whole life is gaming, though, then it might be ok :lol:

The new wheel there hasn't been much info about it. If it is direct drive it's likely going to be even more expensive. Reliability depends on the materials used. Direct drive can produce MUCH stronger forces, so if they keep using the same materials as previous wheels it's likely we'll see even MORE reliability issues :crazy:

Your situation, being a first time buyer is much easier. Go for reliability. G29 FFB is good enough for when you're starting out. My position, because I've had a G25 for years, buying a G29 would be worthless in terms of FFB, and buying T300 will give me a headache about reliability. I'm stuck between 2 bad choices with no clear answer :banghead:

I agree with "people who have no problems tend not to post".
I have a TX wheel since februari 2014, and i played ~1500 hours with it and it still works perfect !

Yeah, I was just going to say the same ^thing. The only way to get proper reliability statistics would be to get the numbers from Thrustmaster themselves. Sure, the T300 might be more prone to issues than other wheels, who knows. But I think it's being blown out of proportion here.

Whilst it's true that it tends to be people with problems that post about them, remember that via DFP, DFGT, G25 and G27 consisted if the largest number if wheels in use during PS2/3 era's and if they had the same level of failure the Internet would have been flooded with complaints. It wasn't so it is easy to call them more reliable. Doesn't stop anyone having a broken G29 or a perfect T300 of course.

I have my G27 for 2,5 years in a very cold and moist room (that's the only place I have space for it) and it works flawlessly, never had any trouble with it. It's as strong as day 1. But if I had the money, I would upgrade to the T300RS and hook it to my G27 pedals.

Well, I know for a fact that two people in this thread (possibly three) had problems with G-Series wheels and their notorious cracked encoder wheel. I'm one of them, and my attempts to repair it ultimately killed it. IMO that encoder wheel is a ticking time bomb in every G25/G27. Just search Logitech Cracked Encoder Wheel and you'll see that it's not an uncommon problem. I don't know if the G29 still uses this cheap plastic wheel, but if they do then there's every chance they could suffer from the same issue. So, yes, the Logitech wheels have known reliability issues too.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was just going to say the same ^thing. The only way to get proper reliability statistics would be to get the numbers from Thrustmaster themselves. Sure, the T300 might be more prone to issues than other wheels, who knows. But I think it's being blown out of proportion here.

It could be, but it wouldn't be the first time wheel companies had major issues. Fanatec had issues with their GT3 RS V2 and GT2 wheels where the gear connecting the optical sensor to the motor was not aligned properly. After opening it up and having a look, it was easy to know why. The gear from the motor connecting to the optical sensor gear had no stopper on the mounting point. So the gear could roam freely along the mounting point and would not even be attached to the optical sensor gear.

Completely agree, many are basing their reliability opinions on a small sampling.
I've have a first version of the TM TX (over 2 years), no problems. I've had a Logitech wheel some years back that died. My personal experience doesn't mean that TM wheels are more reliable.
In addition, am I going to buy a Toyota Camry because of it high reliability rating... no, I'm very happy with my BMW 135i, just saying :D

Back