Assetto Corsa PC Mods General DiscussionPC 

• Thread starter daan
  • 136,908 comments
I dont remember that cinematic the game, must be from the arcade verion. Polyphony also made amazing car pron cinematics in that era too of course. So is the Velo's the only 355 Challenge AC mod out there. It's ok but not great

have you seen this cinematic? for a late 90s game this cinematic is brutal!

I remember this very, very well.
I have the Japanese F355 Challenge version for the Sega Dreamcast and I believe I remember this was an unlockable video once you had finished a championship I believe).

Back then (ca ~ 1999) this was absolutely blow your socks off detail and Sega F355 was one of the most amazing racing games there was.
It is quite impressive actually how well it holds up (you can run it in emulators on PC if you google a bit).

Yu Suzuki always was an absolute master, just check out his other games he developed for Sega, the Shenmue games for example just to name one other masterpiece.

I have three versions of this car, a Velo version :crazy: that was in a RTM pack, an old version with no author :confused: and this version that has RTM :ill: as the author. I'm not sure if it's needed but just in case, here it is:

https://we.tl/t-HNOzV3HBcv

upload_2019-7-30_10-20-25.jpeg

I've driven for hours in VR with no issues, and that's without fans. In really hot and humid weather it can get a little uncomfortable, but that's only to be expected.
Any disorientation or feeling of motion sickness diminishes in short time for most (not all) users. Like getting your 'sea legs' on a boat.
I tried my friend VR headset (in skyrim)
First i cannot wear my glasses with VR so i will not see the image so good unless i wear contact lenses (and i am allergic to them) and second after 15 minutes of play it caused me dizziness cause i have an issue with high places and the VR makes me feel like i am suspended in air...
I repeat that VR is not for everyone

I tried my friend VR headset (in skyrim)
First i cannot wear my glasses with VR so i will not see the image so good unless i wear contact lenses (and i am allergic to them) and second after 15 minutes of play it caused me dizziness cause i have an issue with high places and the VR makes me feel like i am suspended in air...

I wish they made them smaller

Last edited:
I've driven for hours in VR with no issues, and that's without fans. In really hot and humid weather it can get a little uncomfortable, but that's only to be expected.
Any disorientation or feeling of motion sickness diminishes in short time for most (not all) users. Like getting your 'sea legs' on a boat.
Couldn't agree with everything Masscot said more, it's the only reason I have got into sim racing, monitors are good but when I tried vr (on a crappy DK2) I was instantly hooked for all the reasons you mentioned. I am a bike rider and this is the only way I can get even close to the excitement of fast riding, if you let your brain go with it, you are there in that car racing at that track, the wheel and hands move when yours do etc. I simply couldn't be more passionate about it.
Oh and I've upgraded to the oculus rift s and despite what any report says it is a huge visual upgrade from cv1, only cost me £100 when I sold the cv1. Running in 2.0 pixels it's just wow on certain tracks, pisses me off that I have to go to work!
As people have said some people can't cope with it, the reason is it tricks your brain into dealing with what is going in in front of your eyes, and can fool you, give feelings of fear and dread etc, I have a mate you starts hyper ventilating before he puts head set on after an all too real death in alien isolation haha. If you can deal with it it's epic.

Last edited:
I could not disagree more.

A much better word than 'fun' is 'immersion'. VR puts you IN the car, ON the track, AT the race venue. You have to experience it yourself but the sense of presence is incredible. I know there are a multitude of personal, technical and financial reasons why VR isn't for everyone but for me it's an absolute perfect fit for sim racing. Full 360 degree freedom with a view that changes with your head movement is brilliant, but the biggest bonus of VR is the stereoscopic vision that works just like our eyes do to present things in proper 3D. Everything you see occupies 3D space and has a solidity that the best 2D screen in the world will never be able to reproduce. Opponents look and feel menacing alongside you, and they have a virtual mass that makes you more wary of collisions. Cockpits come alive in VR, apexes are easier to judge, the sensation of speed is unrivalled, and the scale of the environment can be overwhelming. I think it's pretty bloody amazing. Races are thrilling, feel dangerous, and the first few times you crash in VR you WILL brace for impact. Couple VR with a motion rig and the immersion simply goes of the scale.

I've went back to 2D when my Rift was out for repair (a 50" 4k panel right in front of my wheel, so a pretty good setup) and I found it terribly dull and insipid after VR. I was back to playing a videogame on a letterbox screen rather than feeling like I was actually racing cars on a track. It made me question how I ever got into sim racing in the first place. It just felt boring, and detached, and uninvolving. And all this is with a Rift CV1 with its narrow FoV and low resolution. I plan to upgrade hardware next year to something with a higher res and wider FoV, and man... I cannot wait.

2D racing on triples or a curved superwide has its place but comparing it to VR is futile. They are two totally different beasts with common components that achieve a similar thing in totally different ways with completely different results.

VR sim racing a 'gimmick'? No. No it's not. It's actually how it's meant to be played. This is meant to be a simulation, after all. And surely simulation starts with how we perceive things. That's not a 2D panel with your bedroom visible around the edges.

In my humble opinion, of course...
however i could make you notice the problems that VR has
First the resolution is much lower and being the image a lot closer to the eyes you will tend to notice that
Second it requires a much more powerful PC than running the simulator on a monitor
Third the VR doesn't sobsitute toally your monitor so you will have to take in account a good monitor too for those games/activities that dont support VR
Fourth you are immersed in a virtual world but you will not see what your real hand are doing and where they are in the space so operations like pushing buttons or keys or use a mouse you will have to do like a blind man cause you dont want to take off the VR while you are driving and you need to push a button for a certain regulation (like DRS or KERS or brake balance)

VR is cool but it's not perfect (and some people like me have issues usign it too)

I remember this very, very well.
I have the Japanese F355 Challenge version for the Sega Dreamcast and I believe I remember this was an unlockable video once you had finished a championship I believe).

Back then (ca ~ 1999) this was absolutely blow your socks off detail and Sega F355 was one of the most amazing racing games there was.
It is quite impressive actually how well it holds up (you can run it in emulators on PC if you google a bit).

Yu Suzuki always was an absolute master, just check out his other games he developed for Sega, the Shenmue games for example just to name one other masterpiece.
i was disappointed that there was no pc port of f355 i wonder is it because pc's at the time were less powerful? Sega gt actually proved this.

i was disappointed that there was no pc port of f355 i wonder is it because pc's at the time were less powerful? Sega gt actually proved this.
you know that every console basicly is a PC? there is no way that consoles where ever ahead of PCs.

I understand that maybe the "immersion" is better but I hear all the time that it gets very hot inside the Headset or that it makes you dizzy.

I think it will always be a nice gimmick and not more

Maybe you should try it before making uneducated comments, about something you admittedly said you know nothing about. For you education, VR is not a gimmick. And why the bracket to immersion, are you having issue with immersion on pancake screen, I do not have any in VR, total immersion, wear the goggles, the room I am in diseaper and I find myself seating in a car, driving on a track. I can even stop the car, go out of the car, look around, look at the car. I kid you not, I would not believe it either, if I did not try it.

i agree... i like better to spend money to get a big panoramic curved monitor (like a 49" 32:9 curved display) or a triple monitor

QUOTE="Wusel, post: 12815791, member: 29751
"]If you send me like 600 Euros... sure[/QUOTE]

VR, will cost less that the 2 options mentioned, so much for VR being expensive, it is not. You need a decent GPU, as you would need for decent resolution that you both seem to cherish so much on the 2 options mentioned.

You are correct, it is not, no one here is saying differently, not every one can handle it which is too bad and makes me sad for those who cannot, because VR is awesome in SIM racing. Those who love it would be devastated to have to drive without VR.

Just change it in the data folder > drivetrain >
SUPPORTS_SHIFTER=1 ; 1=Car supports shifter, 0=car supports only paddles

@Krassi

Don't even really need to do that. I have multiple wheel configuration profiles, one is paddle-shift, one is sequential shift, one is h-gate shift. Whichever profile I pick is what the car will use, so I can drive a Maserati 250F with paddle shifters or a Porsche 918 with h-gate shifter, whatever I feel like doing. Obviously it doesn't change the shifting animation but other than that, Bob's your uncle.

you know that every console basicly is a PC? there is no way that consoles where ever ahead of PCs.
the sad thing is back in the dreamcast era. dreamcast games looked better than the pc ones those voodoo graphic cards were really getting old until the geforce 2 came out in the early 2000s.

Don't even really need to do that. I have multiple wheel configuration profiles, one is paddle-shift, one is sequential shift, one is h-gate shift. Whichever profile I pick is what the car will use, so I can drive a Maserati 250F with paddle shifters or a Porsche 918 with h-gate shifter, whatever I feel like doing. Obviously it doesn't change the shifting animation but other than that, Bob's your uncle.
That's another way to achieve what you want.
But since I prefer to drive cars with the original shifter, I prefer changing the drivetrain setting.

however i could make you notice the problems that VR has
First the resolution is much lower and being the image a lot closer to the eyes you will tend to notice that
Second it requires a much more powerful PC than running the simulator on a monitor
Third the VR doesn't sobsitute toally your monitor so you will have to take in account a good monitor too for those games/activities that dont support VR
Fourth you are immersed in a virtual world but you will not see what your real hand are doing and where they are in the space so operations like pushing buttons or keys or use a mouse you will have to do like a blind man cause you dont want to take off the VR while you are driving and you need to push a button for a certain regulation (like DRS or KERS or brake balance)

VR is cool but it's not perfect (and some people like me have issues usign it too)

Sorry, but none of these points apply to my VR experiences (obviously your mileage may vary). I'll admit it can take several weeks to adapt to VR but once you do the resolution is not an issue, to my eyes it looks just about as good as my monitor in most games. The image being close to my eyes has never been an issue, I can also wear my glasses inside my Rift with no problem. I also have a small fan next to my wheel so I never get hot or sweaty with it on. I have a middle of the road PC but I can run with fairly high settings on most racing games. Your third point is way off, you can use the virtual desktop to do anything you would normally do on your PC without ever having to take the headset off so yes, it can be a 100% substitute for your monitors with no problem. Your fourth problem is mostly a non-issue too because your body uses muscle memory, I can hit every button on my wheel without looking at it, I can grab my shifter without looking at it, when I had my button box working I could adjust switches and knobs without looking at them. And if you ever do need to see there's usually a little gap between your nose and the headset that lets you look out to see whatever you need to see, when you're looking straight ahead you don't see it but if you lift your head up and look down you can see everything.

You are correct that VR is not perfect and not for everyone, but not for any of the reasons you've listed here. And I'm not picking on you, these are common issues people list when they haven't spent enough time with VR to get used to it. But you never see any seasoned VR users complaining about any of these things (well, unless they have a really low-powered PC but that's not VR's fault) because once your brain adapts they're all a non-issue. It's not something that can be explained, you just have to experience it. For the first week or so I could only play for 15-20 minutes before I got woozy and had to quit but even that went away after a couple weeks. Despite its imperfections, I don't ever want to do sim racing without VR again.

That's another way to achieve what you want.
But since I prefer to drive cars with the original shifter, I prefer changing the drivetrain setting.

I can still drive cars with their original shifters. I typically know what kind of shifter most cars would have and usually choose the appropriate one. But sometimes I'm lazy and just feel like using the paddles and not faffing about with the other shifter so I like having that option (without having to tinker with .ini files).

Driving the F355 in VR seems awesome!

Im sure this is the mod I have but I can no longer use cockpit view becasue the windscreen is completely opaque, probably due to incompatability with the Custom shader patch. Physics are abit iffy too and the model is missing some detail.

I can even stop the car, go out of the car, look around, look at the car. I kid you not, I would not believe it either, if I did not try it.
You make an excellent point here, my friend. VR is incredible when driving the car, but start an LMP race at Spa, park in the run-off area halfway up Eau Rouge on the left hand side, get out of the car and just wait a couple of minutes, looking over the top of it. When the rest of the field comes around and blasts up Eau Rouge just a few metres away from you... man, it's incredible. Like being there. The sense of scale as you look down Eau Rouge, the anticipation as the other cars emerge around La Source, the thrill as they power down towards you before snaking up Eau Rouge like screaming banshees... Totally priceless. Worth the admission price alone. You simply can't experience that stuff on a flat screen.

You make an excellent point here, my friend. VR is incredible when driving the car, but start an LMP race at Spa, park in the run-off area halfway up Eau Rouge on the left hand side, get out of the car and just wait a couple of minutes, looking over the top of it. When the rest of the field comes around and blasts up Eau Rouge just a few metres away from you... man, it's incredible. Like being there. The sense of scale as you look down Eau Rouge, the anticipation as the other cars emerge around La Source, the thrill as they power down towards you before snaking up Eau Rouge like screaming banshees... Totally priceless. Worth the admission price alone. You simply can't experience that stuff on a flat screen.
Did a similar thing a few weeks ago racing at le mans, it had gone dark and I went off on a corner so just reset my view so my head was above the roof and sat watching and listening to the cars going past. Great fun, did something similar using rss f1 cars at monaco and 67gp cars at 66 monaco. Amazing.

Sharing a mod? Host it on GTPlanet Downloads. Free, public hosting for files up to 10GB in size.
Back