Assetto Corsa PC Mods General DiscussionPC 

• Thread starter daan
  • 136,901 comments
Hi everyone I have a question. I often look at some of my cars and wish i could change the paint color. I don't mean create a skin with stickers and everything, just a plain paint color. For example i have a red car that doesn't have a white skin and I would like to have it white. I tried with CM's paintshop but it doen't do anything with many cars I've tested or it works but the color displayed is not the same on the car, like there is a background color underneath. So I was wondering if there's an easy way to change paint colors without having templates and everything, thank you
I'm bumping this request cause I also have the
I would try to create new folders for each skin I would open the .dds of the skin of the car with paintnet and paint all the template of the color you want ... I think it would be the easiest way, although maybe in some you have problems because the skin has something else that the body
This method allows you to change the base colors, etc in your Paint tool but doesn't allow you to change colors, etc. of that livery later in CM. Does anyone know the setting that allows you to unlock paint schemes for editing in CM?

I only have limited experience with Car Tuner, but it appears to do all the heavy lifting for you, re: renaming everything to have a working duplicate, and it even makes it a child car to the original. You gotta do an engine or sound swap, which I believe you can do from the same parent car, and then boom - it's all done. Pretty simple if you ask me :D

Edit: Actually, it's even easier than that!! Open Car Tuner, select AC folder, choose a car, enter a new tune name (example: S1) and click Create New Tune. Done! Car is now duplicated and all necessary changes are done. Easy peasy!

Edit 2: Oh btw, Car Tuner is using QuickBMS as well :dopey:

Thank you!..... :bowdown: ..... your instructions are the simple step by step process I could not find or figure out on my own. I see that Car Tuner does introduce an all new .ini file in the car folder which makes me think it reduces some versatility of the duplicate cars vs. the ones I created manually. Is there a method to make the car as independent and not under a parent? I know how to do it manually....lol. Thanks for getting me to think in a bit of a new way.

Thank you!..... :bowdown: ..... your instructions are the simple step by step process I could not find or figure out on my own. I see that Car Tuner does introduce an all new .ini file in the car folder which makes me think it reduces some versatility of the duplicate cars vs. the ones I created manually. Is there a method to make the car as independent and not under a parent? I know how to do it manually....lol. Thanks for getting me to think in a bit of a new way.
CM has a Make Independent funtion in the Manage Car screen

Hi everyone I have a question. I often look at some of my cars and wish i could change the paint color. I don't mean create a skin with stickers and everything, just a plain paint color. For example i have a red car that doesn't have a white skin and I would like to have it white. I tried with CM's paintshop but it doen't do anything with many cars I've tested or it works but the color displayed is not the same on the car, like there is a background color underneath. So I was wondering if there's an easy way to change paint colors without having templates and everything, thank you

I don't recall EVERY case, but for most cars, you may find three scenerios:
1) Cars that have a sample color applied uniformly.
2) Cars that that the color applied as a mapped texture (yes, even plain color cars).
3) Cars thave have the mapped texture inside the car model (therefore, not in the skin folder)

Quick n' dirty solutions for each scenario:
1) Open the file (commonly a file called "detail_color.dds", "metal_detail.dds") with Photoshop or similar. Paint it. Save.
ADVICE: You will need a photoshop extension to open DDS files (it was called Nvidia Tools, if I remember correctly).

2) Open the file (name changes a lot here, but usually refers to "skin") with Photoshop.
- Create a new layer on top of it.
- Paint the color parts with a blending mode enable (Darken, for instance, works in most cases) so the color adapts to the original layer below.
- Save as dds.

3) Same as above, but first you have to extract the dds texture using CM's showroom.

Well, as you can see, solution requires a slight degree of programs handling, but I hope this helps!

EDIT: I'm uploading a quick paint on a VW beetle that only has one colour. By moving the floating color layer you may find it's not even too precise (the blend layer allows me to exceed the borders in most cases). Once you have that layer finished, you may colorize it using the "Hue-Saturation" menu, and create different colors. Hope this practical example helps!

https://sharemods.com/x40atlyj2xjd/Beetle.psd.html

I don't recall EVERY case, but for most cars, you may find three scenerios:
1) Cars that have a sample color applied uniformly.
2) Cars that that the color applied as a mapped texture (yes, even plain color cars).
3) Cars thave have the mapped texture inside the car model (therefore, not in the skin folder)

Quick n' dirty solutions for each scenario:
1) Open the file (commonly a file called "detail_color.dds", "metal_detail.dds") with Photoshop or similar. Paint it. Save.
ADVICE: You will need a photoshop extension to open DDS files (it was called Nvidia Tools, if I remember correctly).

2) Open the file (name changes a lot here, but usually refers to "skin") with Photoshop.
- Create a new layer on top of it.
- Paint the color parts with a blending mode enable (Darken, for instance, works in most cases) so the color adapts to the original layer below.
- Save as dds.

3) Same as above, but first you have to extract the dds texture using CM's showroom.

Well, as you can see, solution requires a slight degree of programs handling, but I hope this helps!

EDIT: I'm uploading a quick paint on a VW beetle that only has one colour. By moving the floating color layer you may find it's not even too precise (the blend layer allows me to exceed the borders in most cases). Once you have that layer finished, you may colorize it using the "Hue-Saturation" menu, and create different colors. Hope this practical example helps!

https://sharemods.com/x40atlyj2xjd/Beetle.psd.html
Probably every modder here knows this, but I'm posting it here anyway because I think this may helpful for some and not every modded car have it so you can rework it in a fast way:

There are certain things to get the painting mode in CM work:
- First, the car must have a base skin for txDiffuse which needs to be white, you can create it with "calculate AO"
- Then you replace the skin with the newly created base skin.
- If it is ksPerPixelMultiMap (_damage_dirt), look for txDetail. If not, change it in normal or modded ksEditor and add some placeholder textures if necessary.
- Rename the texture in txDetail to metal_detail.dds
- The CM will detect these textures and paint shop is now unlocked. Also you can paint it now in every color (if the base was red before like @UolterUait mentioned)

Now you can paint it, set the flakes values etc. easily as if it was a Kunos car. That's how I reworked most of the mod street cars in the past.
Thank you both. Us modders come in all stages of experience and knowledge. For a rookie like myself this guidance is invaluable.
GTPlanet forums, the gift that keeps on giving :bowdown::gtplanet::cheers:

I've also found that some issues with the walls, especially along the start/finish straight. It seems to vary along the length of the wall, but the car can go through the concrete, then catch on another section, and launch the car.
I got punted by an ai and went through that same wall myself. :D

I don't want to sound anxious but are we going to see a version with all these fixes? Being an INDYcar loving Yank, Sonoma is very sacred to the heritage of my peoples.

I am also getting reflection from the kerbs. You need to be a certain distance away to see them though, so must just be a kerb shader issue I think:

I also think while the kerbs have some work done, the trees could do with maybe brightening or optimising in some way? They seem a bit dark (can be seen in top picture).

But thanks for the rework @P1ButtPlug! Very high FPS on this now!

No no, not my rework, thats courtesy of Fuzzo. Only wished Sonoma had more reply cameras, forget theres so little.

Where to apply ?
thx
As in the post you liked... ;)

"""""You will need to put hem in the corresponding track ui's (delete the track name and just leave logo.png), so it will take some effort/time, but surely a lot less than tracking them and adjust them to fit."""""

work in progress
87992305-561297224730766-6707875559206027264-n.jpg

Great...A good companion for the Porsche 908 and Ferrari 312PB. Who knows, a Matra might also come? Then we can make the skins for a "Mirage" ... and others. We wait.

And if you have a potato it can turn it into mashed.
TBH I'm perfectly happy with the 'normal' 2D clouds. Last time I tried these 3D ones my performance tanked and they looked really odd in VR, with ones that were supposed to be in the distance actually being close. You can't fool stereoscopic vision regarding 3D placement.
Hopefully they've improved since then.

TBH I'm perfectly happy with the 'normal' 2D clouds. Last time I tried these 3D ones my performance tanked and they looked really odd in VR, with ones that were supposed to be in the distance actually being close. You can't fool stereoscopic vision regarding 3D placement.
Hopefully they've improved since then.

To be fair I haven't noticed a huge drop in performance with it turned on. Even with my potato I'm getting around 60 @ Luccaring which is perfectly fine for me :)

To be fair I haven't noticed a huge drop in performance with it turned on. Even with my potato I'm getting around 60 @ Luccaring which is perfectly fine for me :)
I think it's different in VR with everything rendered twice.
I remember the 3D clouds not really having convincing shapes last time I looked. They were like big balls of cotton wool. Like cartoon clouds. Or Aardman.

I think it's different in VR with everything rendered twice.
I remember the 3D clouds not really having convincing shapes last time I looked. They were like big balls of cotton wool. Like cartoon clouds. Or Aardman.

No idea what it would look like in VR but I remember them looking a bit odd for me too. Maybe they've been sorted in this latest version cause they look a like clouds this time round. I was using overcast in sol as well so not sure if other settings will look so good.

No idea what it would look like in VR but I remember them looking a bit odd for me too. Maybe they've been sorted in this latest version cause they look a like clouds this time round. I was using overcast in sol as well so not sure if other settings will look so good.
I only really use 'Windy' as in think it looks much better that all the rest. It's got enough inherent variety that it never needs changing - blue sky, light clouds, dark clouds. All in one.

Sharing a mod? Host it on GTPlanet Downloads. Free, public hosting for files up to 10GB in size.
Back