Attack on magazine Charlie Hebdo in Paris.

• Thread starter Dennisch
  • 897 comments
You need a better citation than what you have provided to make that statement.
Really?

Even Wiki links to a huge amount of studies that clearly indicate that its a worldwide issues that covers all races, religions and social groups.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_sexual_abuse#Demographics

Are you suggesting that a specific group is immune to this issue and that group would then cause less than 5% of the UK population to be responsible for the bulk of the issue in the UK? If so please let us have the details.

How did we get from Religious nutjobs shooting people to nutjobs touching children?
Easy, a few were discussing the relative dangers of the two groups and then @Carbonox wanted another reason to have a pop at people with names he doesn't trust (but has never actually met).

How did we get from Religious nutjobs shooting people to nutjobs touching children?

It was suggested Islamic terrorists are a small and diminishing threat, and that pedophiles and right wingers were more deserving of our attention.

Every problem should have its own thread.

Easy, @Carbonox wanted another reason to have a pop at people with names he doesn't trust (but has never actually met).

Ah. Let's do this.

Pretty much every convicted pedophile here was a white man with a very Dutch name. Apart from 1. He was a whitie from Latvia.

It was suggested Islamic terrorists are a small and diminishing threat, and that pedophiles and right wingers were more deserving of our attention.

We should all leave the cities and towns and hide in separate caves.

Ah. Let's do this.

Pretty much every convicted pedophile here was a white man with a very Dutch name. Apart from 1. He was a whitie from Latvia.
Here is a major case where the victims were all English girls and the perps were all Pakistani taxi-drivers, and liberal progressives want to throw it all under the rug.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/d...s-circling-the-wagons-over-the-race-question/

A juicy snippet,
"the priority is not, actually, defending children. That horse bolted long ago. The name of the game now is defending cosy progressive preconceptions.
The cry “we must focus on the victims” is classic communications chaff. Don’t look to cast blame. Don’t look to find answers. And above all, on no account find answers that may challenge the liberal status quo."

You need a better citation than what you have provided to make that statement.
Depends on how you define abuse doesn't it? When I was a kid, pretty much all of us got lightly spanked at some point, sent to bed without food for back talking, yelled at, told to stop talking when adults were speaking, publicly embarassed and shamed and more. As far as I know, every kid I grew up with turned out ok, other than me of course:D

According to the above cited study above, I am an abused child and a child abuser. I have to forward this to my son and see if he felt abused growing up:

It may include not giving the child opportunities to express their views, deliberately silencing them or “making fun” of what they say or how they communicate. It may feature age or developmentally inappropriate expectations being imposed on children. These may include interactions that are beyond the child’s developmental capability, as well as overprotection and limitation of exploration and learning, or preventing the child participating in normal social interaction. It may involve seeing or hearing the ill-treatment of another

With a definition that broad, I'm surprised the child abuse rate isn't 100%.

http://www.nspcc.org.uk/globalasset...ld-abuse-neglect-uk-today-research-report.pdf

Disclaimer: This has nothing to do with Muslims so please no questions like, "are you saying that all Muslims are child abusers?"...etc.

Disclaimer 2: Okay, maybe I am saying that, given that I and every parent I know, and every parent I've ever known is a child abuser by that definition, it's likely that quite a few Muslims are also child abusers...under that broad of a definition.

Last edited:
We should all leave the cities and towns and hide in separate caves.

You people in those caves with them 10,000-year-old heretic cave drawings are clearly intended to make fun of us.

You see despite the clear inference of you post, child abuse exists in every faith, culture and demographic.
True, though the degree of which would be the thing that set them apart. For example I'd imagine a misogynistic, sexually repressive culture *cough* religion *cough* to be more likely to breed child sexual abusers than others. Just speculation anyway.

Last edited:
True, though the degree of which would be the thing that set them apart. For example I'd imagine a misogynistic, sexually repressive culture *cough* religion *cough* to be more likely to breed child sexual abusers than others. Just speculation anyway.
Your right but this thread isn't about the Catholic church.

Here is a major case where the victims were all English girls and the perps were all Pakistani taxi-drivers, and liberal progressives want to throw it all under the rug.

<Snip>
And all of the other cases in the UK? Do we just ignore those?

What about the widespread abuse over decades within the Catholic Church (which the church went to extraordinary lengths to hide), or the current Historic Child Abuse investigation that is looking at widespead abuse over decades within the rich elite in the UK, or the results of operation Yewtree (again widespread abuse over decades) and the abuse or the large number of British and European sounding names in the largest ring uncovered to date.

It would seem (as I implied) that abuse is not limited (in the case of either victim or attacker) by demographic at all, and am still awaiting the exceptions to that you inferred existed.

With a definition that broad, I'm surprised the child abuse rate isn't 100%.
Which would be useful if this were about wider abuse and neglect, but its not and as the stats linked to were specific to sexual abuse I'm not quite sure what a definition for wider abuse and neglect has to do with it.

Last edited:
Lassana Bathily, the guy who saved the people in the supermarket will be rewarded the French nationality for his heroic deeds.

300000 people have signed a petition to make it happen.

In current context, i think it's worth mentioning he's a muslim who saved jews life. And i hope that someday in future, i wouldn't feel necessary to have to report such details.

To be fair, the guy said in a TV interview (I think it was on TF1) that he had requested citizenship a while ago. He basically made a joke and said "Well, maybe all of this can make this go quicker!" (there's a waiting period that's enforced when trying to obtain citizenship, even I'd have to wait 18-24 months even tho I've been living here for more than 8 years)...he laughed at what he said back then. After all, citizenship is the least that this country can do for him.

Oh please. We have larger operations than that to catch paedophiles.

And the USA has larger operations than that to round up $100k of drugs.
Is there an "unlike" button I can use for this post?

Is there an "unlike" button I can use for this post?
There's not an "unlike" button you can use for any post.

I think you misunderstood the post. Try "unliking" the one it was in response to, which suggested that a 10 location simultaneous raid is some sign of a massive, Europe-wide terror catastrophe that we'll all be lucky to live through and not a normal coordinated police response of the kind we see every month in response to kiddy fiddling or drugs.

Which would be useful if this were about wider abuse and neglect, but its not and as the stats linked to were specific to sexual abuse I'm not quite sure what a definition for wider abuse and neglect has to do with it.
You made your assertion and used the link as reference. I thought I'd take a look to see what it was about. If you don't want your links to be questioned you should say so.

I would also question this statement as misleading:

What about the widespread abuse over decades within the Catholic Church (which the church went to extraordinary lengths to hide), or the current Historic Child Abuse investigation that is looking at widespead abuse over decades within the rich elite in the UK, or the results of operation Yewtree (again widespread abuse over decades) and the abuse or the large number of British and European sounding names in the largest ring uncovered to date.
As I understand it, abuse within the Catholic Church, while heinous and unacceptable obviously, was no more, and probably less widespread, than abuse in the general public.

http://www.newsweek.com/priests-commit-no-more-abuse-other-males-70625
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/opinion/forum/2010-06-07-column07_ST_N.htm

Last edited:
You made your assertion and used the link as reference. I thought I'd take a look to see what it was about. If you don't want your links to be questioned you should say so.
It covers something much wider however, so as such it doesn't question my source in aa comparative nature.

The police raids in Belgium continued overnight.

@Famine While there's no denying Britain has long standing problems with perverts and the US with drugs, in the US it is considered a major step in the wrong direction for terrorists with military training and weapons to set up shop in Europe. Maybe it isn't that big a deal for you, but we don't want such blowback here.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30848946#
A suspected jihadist group targeted in a major anti-terror raid on Thursday had been planning to kill policemen in the street and at police stations, Belgian prosecutors say.

The planned attacks were imminent, they said, adding that two suspects shot dead in Verviers during the raids were still being identified.

Searches were also carried out overnight in the Brussels area.

Thirteen suspects have been arrested, while two more were arrested in France.

Guns, munitions and explosives, as well as police uniforms and a large amount of money, were seized during the raids, prosecution spokesman Thierry Werts told reporters.

Eric Van Der Sypt, another spokesman, added: "The investigation... has shown that these people had the intention to kill several policemen in the street and at police commissariats [police stations].

Fabrice Nicolino has been badly wonded during the Charlie Hebdo attack. Today, he posted on his blog, and revealed an interesting "anecdote": he had already been wounded during an islamist terrorist bombing in a small Parisian movie theater in 1985. "fatalitas !", as he says...

The police raids in Belgium continued overnight.

@Famine While there's no denying Britain has long standing problems with perverts and the US with drugs, in the US it is considered a major step in the wrong direction for terrorists with military training and weapons to set up shop in Europe. Maybe it isn't that big a deal for you, but we don't want such blowback here.
The point was, as well you know, that you are deliberately over-sensationalising the scale of the raids. Why? Well, only you know that - but quite what you have to gain from scaremongering and portraying Europe as a major terrorist hotbed escapes me.

A pretty average scale police operation was undertaken against some criminals. They happened to be criminals who don't like freedoms (as opposed to regular citizens who don't like freedoms), but operations of this scale are regularly conducted against criminals who like to sniff burning plants or see children in their underwear.

The point was, as well you know, that you are deliberately over-sensationalising the scale of the raids. Why? Well, only you know that - but quite what you have to gain from scaremongering and portraying Europe as a major terrorist hotbed escapes me.

A pretty average scale police operation was undertaken against some criminals. They happened to be criminals who don't like freedoms (as opposed to regular citizens who don't like freedoms), but operations of this scale are regularly conducted against criminals who like to sniff burning plants or see children in their underwear.
I think you are actually doing the opposite and playing it down to much, the army is patrolling on the streets right now and the whole country is on high alert. Luckily these hatebeards got stopped before they unloaded their Kalashnikovs on police officers or police stations. We didn't experience a situation like this since the early eighties when the 'bende van nijvel' was around.

Normal police operations against criminals happen the whole year through, and they do not have the same effect.

Normal police operations against criminals happen the whole year through, and they do not have the same effect.
That's probably a result of a shift in the extremists' approach.

If you look to Iraq and Yemen, they have moved away from bombings designed to cause maximum carnage, and are instead targeting local police garrisons and armed forces. The idea is to instill fear in the public by attacking the people who want supposed to be protecting them. The same thinking seems to be applied here.

At the same time, European police forces are better-armed and better-equipped than their Iraqi and Yemeni counterparts. By publicising their operations, they show the general public that they are responding to the extremists, and they no doubt hope that the extremists see their own lack of success and realise how ineffective it is.

I think you are actually doing the opposite and playing it down to much, the army is patrolling on the streets right now and the whole country is on high alert. Luckily these hatebeards got stopped before they unloaded their Kalashnikovs on police officers or police stations. We didn't experience a situation like this since the early eighties when the 'bende van nijvel' was around.

There is a colossal gulf between an "anti-terror" raid with its associated tension and "blowback from the war in the Middle East has now spread across Western Europe in a major way".

The former is security services doing their job and the latter is an implied continental terror crisis which just doesn't exist. There were more deaths in Pakistan last year from terrorist activities than there EVER have been, combined, in Western Europe - and we've been living with the IRA and ETA for the last century.

There is a colossal gulf between an "anti-terror" raid with its associated tension and "blowback from the war in the Middle East has now spread across Western Europe in a major way".

The former is security services doing their job and the latter is an implied continental terror crisis which just doesn't exist. There were more deaths in Pakistan last year from terrorist activities than there EVER have been, combined, in Western Europe - and we've been living with the IRA and ETA for the last century.
Well i agree that people shouldn't panic and news reports like the one on Fox showing the "no go areas" in Paris only serve to make people panic. Yet those lone wolf jihadis that came back from Syria and Iraq and are trying to attack inside Europe now should definitely be taken serious. Yes there will always be more attacks in countries like Pakistan, but what ISIS and amigos are trying to do now is to provoke and install fear so people in the west become more extremist as a consequence and they get closer to their goal of having a clash between civilizations.

With every attack they manage we would get closer to that mass hysteria, so it's very important that it get's prevented where possible, hence why the police force is on such high alert in Belgium and the army is patrolling around. Officers have to walk around with 2 and can take their guns home now, something that would never be an effect of an anti pedophile operation.

Well i agree that people shouldn't panic and news reports like the one on Fox showing the "no go areas" in Paris only serve to make people panic. Yet those lone wolf jihadis that came back from Syria and Iraq and are trying to attack inside Europe now should definitely be taken serious.
They are taken seriously, but they also have to be taken into context.

As an example religious terrorism in Europe in 2013 accounted for 2% of the terrorist activity, with the bulk still being either political or separatist.

https://www.europol.europa.eu/conte...ion-terrorism-situation-and-trend-report-2014

Yes there will always be more attacks in countries like Pakistan, but what ISIS and amigos are trying to do now is to provoke and install fear so people in the west become more extremist as a consequence and they get closer to their goal of having a clash between civilizations.

With every attack they manage we would get closer to that mass hysteria, so it's very important that it get's prevented where possible, hence why the police force is on such high alert in Belgium and the army is patrolling around. Officers have to walk around with 2 and can take their guns home now, something that would never be an effect of an anti pedophile operation.
Which is exactly why comments such as "blowback from the war in the Middle East has now spread across Western Europe in a major way" are not only grossly inaccurate, but also unhelpful in the extreme.

Last edited:
but what ISIS and amigos are trying to do now is to provoke and install fear so people in the west become more extremist as a consequence and they get closer to their goal of having a clash between civilizations
Indeed. Claiming that terrorism is spreading across Western Europe in a major way (when it isn't) only adds to the fear and hysteria - which is why I have no truck with oversensationalised claims of this type.

It's worthy of redtop media, not people who try to portray an image of intelligence.

It's no fun having your intelligence and motives questioned. So from now on I will offer no opinion of my own on subjects upon which a preferred view has been expressed by the forum.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30860064#
Europe is on high alert after Islamist gunmen killed 17 people in Paris. More than 20 people have been arrested in Belgium, France and Germany.

There are increased concerns about the return of young Europeans who have gone to fight in Iraq and Syria.

Uniformed soldiers could be seen outside Jewish schools and government buildings in Belgium on Saturday.

=============

The security threat level would remain raised at three - the second highest level - for at least week, they said.

=============

Twelve suspects are being held by police in the Paris region over last week's attacks, and France remains on its highest terrorism alert level.

Authorities have said that some 120,000 police and soldiers have been mobilised across France.

=============

The head of Europol, Rob Wainwright, told the BBC that the need for tightened security across Europe highlighted the complex nature of the terrorist threat in the region.

"We're dealing with multiple thousands of potential terrorists," he told the BBC World Service.

==============

_80325653_80325652.jpg

It's no fun having your intelligence and motives questioned. So from now on I will offer no opinion of my own on subjects upon which a preferred view has been expressed by the forum.
I take it you will now put that into context and compare it to all other form of terrorism that occur in Europe, the threat they pose and the level of policing that they require.

Once you have done that, and in doing so found that those returning from IS pose the single biggest threat by a large margin you may well have a point.

All the above quote does is illustrate a fairly normal response to a terrorist incident, as your own source states it will raise the threat level for a temporary period of time.

However lets be clear, this is neither the worst attack from Islamist terrorists or the worst terrorist attack Europe has faced. Its going to have to see a substantial rise in both attacks and arrests for religious motivated terrorist attacks to reach the levels that the far-right, far-left and separatists achieve in Europe, yet I don't see you stating that they exist in Europe in a major way (despite being much more frequent by a factor in the thunderer).

That these attacks are a concern that is being addressed and well addressed by the security services in Europe is indeed true, but when placed into context they are nothing like the pure scaremongering of your statement.

And its the context you are either unaware of or simply ignoring.

That these attacks are a concern that is being addressed and well addressed by the security services in Europe is indeed true, but when placed into context they are nothing like the pure scaremongering of your statement.

And its the context you are either unaware of or simply ignoring.

Deal. Name the statement and I will retract it, now and forever.

PS, As a North American who has never been to Europe, I must rely on others to know the context of what is going on there. Help me.

Back