BATracer Livery Competition (Comp #17)

• Thread starter XGT Taipan
  • 506 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I Think gradient variations have been a bit too overused ever since i posted that tutorial on how to do them

What guide? I didn't read a single guide on Livery'ing. I started using gradients when I saw the Caterhams don't get shading on the wheel-arches, and started using them ever since. Apart from the main color-variation, I just used a single Grey-Alpha gradient on the front, because the color worked better that way.

Here is my ride click on the thumbnail and check it out! :) --- Randy

What guide? I didn't read a single guide on Livery'ing. I started using gradients when I saw the Caterhams don't get shading on the wheel-arches, and started using them ever since. Apart from the main color-variation, I just used a single Grey-Alpha gradient on the front, because the color worked better that way.

I wrote a guide on the BATracer forum a while back.

XGT Taipan -
Visually a very nice looking livery, imo the only let downs are the decal on the rear wing being partially cut off and the decal on the rear bumper not showing perspective considering it's placement and the overhang onto the white background.

Just pipped XGT's entry i think the attention to the minor details is what sealed it.

Bugger. I knew that Sparco decal would let me down, but I just ran out of time.

I can't believe you could let Jef win without the real Ferrari numbers! (27 or 28) :lol:

Edit: Ingame you can't even notice the small decals anyway, they're just a blob of colour. lol

I'll post the next contest later after I've had some sleep and thought about a good sponsor.

Taipan, you need to seriously update the index topic.

This is the 360 iI did

gtpit3602ol0.gif

shaded

gtpit3602sig7.gif

Alright here is my BMW! Respect the power of... Paint. :lol: :lol: See attached M3. --- Randy

Final Entry

warstbmwri7.gif

Be careful of how similar to pre-existing real liveries you make your design. Please read the first post for the rules, and make sure you keep your entry in line. 👍

Just so you know where I'm coming from: Warsteiner, Castrol, Bosch, Yokohama and the gold numbering was used years ago on a white BMW M3 (E36) 1993. But I'm sure you're already aware of that. :sly:

Just keep it original in future.

Be careful of how similar to pre-existing real liveries you make your design. Please read the first post for the rules, and make sure you keep your entry in line. 👍

Just so you know where I'm coming from: Warsteiner, Castrol, Bosch, Yokohama and the gold numbering was used years ago on a white BMW M3 (E36) 1993. But I'm sure you're already aware of that. :sly:

Just keep it original in future.

I'm sorry but that is a very weak and baseless accusation you have made there. I decided to check out this car you so arrogantly accused me of copying.

http://galeria.forocoches.com/data/500/BMW_M3_GTR_ADAC_GT_Cup_1993_02.jpg

"Just so you know where I'm coming from: Warsteiner, Castrol, Bosch, Yokohama and the gold numbering was used years ago on a white BMW M3 (E36) 1993. But I'm sure you're already aware of that. :sly:"

Lets go thru them one by one.

Warsteiner - The task asked for a German brewery Warsteiner is just that.

Castrol - You are sorely mistaken BMW used FINA lubricants, I chose castrol cause it worked well with the colour scheme.

Bosch - where's Bosch on my car, I can't see Bosch.

Yokohama - Ok just shoot me it's a copy. FYI Jef and Myself are running a bmw 04 using Yokos so were intending to use this car as one of the seasons liveries.

Gold numbering - Sorry incorrect again.

White - OMG not white ...it's such an uncommon colour.

So next time you want to make baseless arrogant accusations check your facts first.

I have a good mind to close this competition down as this is a breach of copyright. No permission was asked of me to publicly make available my templates on a site other than BATracer, Michal Booths site or Craig Nayler's site. The templates were given to BATracer solely for the purpose of the game. I still retain all copyrights.

Never really liked that existing race car rule. Sometimes its good to take inspiration from real life, and sometimes its good to be totally original, however in the end I think both can work together quite well.

If that E36 that Matt posted is the one you mean Taipan I seriously see significant difference. Technically you could fault me last round for painting my Ferrari red, white and green which has probably been on LOADS of race cars.

My latest entry was inspired (but not copied) from the Jever A4 DTM cars.

Please don't shut it down Matt. :(

I'm sorry but that is a very weak and baseless accusation you have made there. I decided to check out this car you so arrogantly accused me of copying.

http://galeria.forocoches.com/data/500/BMW_M3_GTR_ADAC_GT_Cup_1993_02.jpg

"Just so you know where I'm coming from: Warsteiner, Castrol, Bosch, Yokohama and the gold numbering was used years ago on a white BMW M3 (E36) 1993. But I'm sure you're already aware of that. :sly:"

Lets go thru them one by one.

Warsteiner - The task asked for a German brewery Warsteiner is just that.

Castrol - You are sorely mistaken BMW used FINA lubricants, I chose castrol cause it worked well with the colour scheme.

Bosch - where's Bosch on my car, I can't see Bosch.

Yokohama - Ok just shoot me it's a copy. FYI Jef and Myself are running a bmw 04 using Yokos so were intending to use this car as one of the seasons liveries.

Gold numbering - Sorry incorrect again.

White - OMG not white ...it's such an uncommon colour.

So next time you want to make baseless arrogant accusations check your facts first.

I have a good mind to close this competition down as this is a breach of copyright. No permission was asked of me to publicly make available my templates on a site other than BATracer, Michal Booths site or Craig Nayler's site. The templates were given to BATracer solely for the purpose of the game. I still retain all copyrights.

Hey hey hey! No need to get defensive man. It's only a stupid drawing competition.

Hey hey hey! No need to get defensive man. It's only a stupid drawing competition.

But he does have a point and therefore really should explain it. Jamez is in the wrong and will hopefully accept it.

Nobody's shutting down anybody. As soon as I saw Matt's livery it shone light-bulbs in my head. I've seen a livery extremely similar to that before, and I'm not somebody who is familiar with many different fields of motorsport, so I'm sure is it an extremely common livery.

All I ask is that you try to be more original in future.

The idea of this competition was to reward creativity and personal touch.

I will allow your entry because you stood by your judgement, and your researching was far more elaborate than mine to prove yourself right.

But please in future try to be more creative. You can take inspiration from real liveries, but please personalise it far more than you did on this occasion.

Edit:

Don't start giving me that crap. If you read the first post you will see that I have provided links to Michal Booths / Craig Naylers sites that include your templates. Nobody has done anything wrong.

Just be greatful that people can enjoy your hard work.

So in future I suggest you read things before posting.

Can I just ask you one thing: If you were going to be so pathetic about your templates being publicly distributed for no financial exchange, then why did you take part in developing them for a free for all game?

Bit silly if you ask me, especially if you paid for a copywrite on them.

Bee

But he does have a point and therefore really should explain it. Jamez is in the wrong and will hopefully accept it.

Agreed, but the way he said it did sound a little harsh to me.

Alright. Shaddap and get liverising. Et tu Bee! lol YAAARGH

Last post on this topic. it is crazy to try to enforce a limit, simple because there have been 1000's of liveries made in motor racing and any could be construed to be being copied if the poster wished. For example

Spa-1997-07-20-031.jpg

It is very simillar to xgt's car, obviously the colours are different but the underlying scheme is the same.

We could get reallly retarded with this but this is supposed to be fun, not a finger pointing exercise.

Regarding copyright

The 1886 Berne Convention first established recognition of copyrights among sovereign nations, rather than merely bilaterally. Under the Berne Convention, copyrights for creative works do not have to be asserted or declared, as they are automatically in force at creation: an author need not "register" or "apply for" a copyright in countries adhering to the Berne Convention. As soon as a work is "fixed", that is, written or recorded on some physical medium, its author is automatically entitled to all copyrights in the work, and to any derivative works unless and until the author explicitly disclaims them, or until the copyright expires.

the use of copyright notices (©) has become optional to claim copyright, because the Berne Convention makes copyright automatic. It is important to understand that absence of the copyright symbol does not mean that the work is not covered by copyright. The work once created from originality through 'mental labor' is instantaneously considered copyrighted to that person.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright

Boys boys boys..

Please, take a minute. Calm down. And grow up. It's only an online competion, if you don't win it's not the end of the world. Your reputation is fine.

About taking idea's from other cars, and the comments on "Be more creative", leave them alone, the poor bugger might not be all that creative, but at least they have taken the curtesy to change the colours. And if you have such a big problem with it, don't make them the winner, if they win Deal with it.

I will repeat again boys, it's only an online game.

Good day.
Queen Bee (on Bee's Account) x

Hey Loli, has Lee taught you to do a livery yet?

Hey Loli, has Lee taught you to do a livery yet?

Well, I've watched him like a million times. But thats it. He wants me to just try it first, but with my exams now i'm revising alot. So it's hard to fit it in. Maybe i might try one at the weekend.

Last post on this topic. it is crazy to try to enforce a limit, simple because there have been 1000's of liveries made in motor racing and any could be construed to be being copied if the poster wished. For example

It is very simillar to xgt's car, obviously the colours are different but the underlying scheme is the same.

We could get reallly retarded with this but this is supposed to be fun, not a finger pointing exercise.

Regarding copyright

The 1886 Berne Convention first established recognition of copyrights among sovereign nations, rather than merely bilaterally. Under the Berne Convention, copyrights for creative works do not have to be asserted or declared, as they are automatically in force at creation: an author need not "register" or "apply for" a copyright in countries adhering to the Berne Convention. As soon as a work is "fixed", that is, written or recorded on some physical medium, its author is automatically entitled to all copyrights in the work, and to any derivative works unless and until the author explicitly disclaims them, or until the copyright expires.

the use of copyright notices (©) has become optional to claim copyright, because the Berne Convention makes copyright automatic. It is important to understand that absence of the copyright symbol does not mean that the work is not covered by copyright. The work once created from originality through 'mental labor' is instantaneously considered copyrighted to that person.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright

Comments like that are an embarrassment. :indiff:

Unless you're making a profit from BATracer, I can't see a single reason why you would act in such a way other than personal pride.

You make critisim on fine attention to detail when the most viewed size in the game is only 100 pixels wide, hardly big enough to show the slightest imperfection. Livery design is more about the colours and pattern you use them in rather than who or what sponsors you have (in the case of BATracer), of course in the real world this is different, but none of us are involved that heavily (with the exception on The Cracker and a few others), that's why we play BATracer.

So lets just calm down. It really is pathetic that we are arguing over a handful of pixels on a screen. :ouch:

Edit: Perhaps you don't see it, but releasing your creative work to the public for free breaches all personal connections to the copyright. Therefore I could take a template, change the colour of one pixel and it is copyrighted to me, and you have no say in it.

This is getting pretty rediculous now, two stubborn Aussies, this will never end.

lol, no. That is the last I'm going to say on the topic unless he tries to push the rules of this competition again.

Lets just make some sweet liveries!!! :D

Yeah damnit hurry up. Since its now 00:18 and I'm judging at 19:00/7:00pm UK time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back