Bomb blast in Bangkok

• Thread starter PCars15
  • 18 comments
...What happened here? :confused:

Dunno, seemingly the user registered to make this post. I wonder if it's actually the ghost of a member-who's-gone-before?

On-topic, the blast seems to be about local religion rather than aimed at tourists (some news outlets were suggesting the latter), I hope that's true. Looking at the explosion itself on ITN it seems relatively minor compared to some other terrorist efforts.

Dunno, seemingly the user registered to make this post. I wonder if it's actually the ghost of a member-who's-gone-before?

On-topic, the blast seems to be about local religion rather than aimed at tourists (some news outlets were suggesting the latter), I hope that's true. Looking at the explosion itself on ITN it seems relatively minor compared to some other terrorist efforts.

...You're probably right...hmm.

As for the blast, my ignorant mind thought Thailand in general was relatively free of terror-related incidents. Goes to show that A: I don't know anything, and B: hell it's not safe anywhere.

Thailand is a country run by a military junta posing as a democracy (but which dissolves straight back into a dictatorship at the slightest sign of political unrest), with provinces that are mostly Muslim, wherein there is a desire for separation from the military state.

Not entirely dissimilar from the Philippines... in which some islands and regions are almost wholly Muslim, and which seek autonomy from the current government. The difference is, the Philippines pays more than lip service to democracy, and some of the regions seeking autonomy have been granted just that.

We've also had communist rebels (both Thailand and the Philippines), who have, on occassion, formed alliances with islamic insurgents against our governments... all supported by China... in its bid to extend its influence over Southeast Asia... which is why I find conspiracy theories (in the other thread) regarding Muslim involvement in the Tianjin explosion ludicrous. (And note, China's insurgency problem is more ethnic, than anything else).

It's hard to know what purpose this attack was meant to serve, at this point. No one has claimed responsibility yet.

They believe the size and location of the attack seems to indicate some sort of involvement at an international level of terrorism. They think the local terrorists, who have never mounted an attack in the North nor on that kind of scale, could not have carried this out.... not alone anyway.

The death toll has risen to 22. And to think it was a shrine as well, something people are drawn to. It's like moths to a flame, so tragic.

This is going to make the tourism situation even worse as the place has a bad enough reputation for being quite unsafe, especially for visitors.

The death toll has risen to 22. And to think it was a shrine as well, something people are drawn to. It's like moths to a flame, so tragic.

Yup, it's turned out to be far worse than I'd inferred and then gone on to imply here :(

A video taken by a Chinese tourist shows the moment of the blast nearby from an overpass. :nervous:

Warning, although you don't really see anything some might find the video distressing.

The authorities aren't quite sure if the man is Thai or a foreigner. The video isn't clear enough.

ct-bangkok-explosion-20150818

If it's a foreigner, that lends credence to the theory that this was an international attack rather than a domestic one. Which would explain why they targeted a tourist location rather than a government office or police outpost. Something that fits the Al Qaeda / ISIS (?) M.O. rather than local insurgents.

How is Shem doing? @W3HS

The authorities aren't quite sure if the man is Thai or a foreigner. The video isn't clear enough.

ct-bangkok-explosion-20150818

If it's a foreigner, that lends credence to the theory that this was an international attack rather than a domestic one. Which would explain why they targeted a tourist location rather than a government office or police outpost. Something that fits the Al Qaeda / ISIS (?) M.O. rather than local insurgents.

What's wrong with people?

How is Shem doing? @W3HS

It's the talk of the town here, everyone has got their own take. Many saying it's an attempt at political disruption by one of the faction (red shirts, yellow shirts...) but it seems evident it was aimed a injuring tourists and effecting the tourism industry which makes up a large part of Bangkok's economy.

Personally I don't know what to think, I just hope it doesn't spread to my neck of the woods up north.

When you see the footage in motion it does look like a foreigner.

They need to find out which label that t-shirt is from and then check where all of them have been sold and then check CCTV from the shops to identify a similar looking guy and if a card was used trace that.

Come on, hire me as a detective!

When you see the footage in motion it does look like a foreigner.

They need to find out which label that t-shirt is from and then check where all of them have been sold and then check CCTV from the shops to identify a similar looking guy and if a card was used trace that.

Come on, hire me as a detective!

Given how many streetside bazaars there are in Asian cities... and how many knock-off / cheap shirts are floating around, that would be almost completely futile.

Definitely does look a bit like a foreigner (ISIS-recruited European?) But in other shots, skin tone matches other people on the street. Which proves nothing, honestly.

Can't even tell if he has an arched nose (seems like) which would indicate Caucasian or Arabic or simply a big, flat broad nose (seems like it also) which might indicate local.

It's the talk of the town here, everyone has got their own take. Many saying it's an attempt at political disruption by one of the faction (red shirts, yellow shirts...) but it seems evident it was aimed a injuring tourists and effecting the tourism industry which makes up a large part of Bangkok's economy.

Personally I don't know what to think, I just hope it doesn't spread to my neck of the woods up north.

He did go out of his way to wear a ghastly yellow shirt and armbands...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ish-connection-in-shrine-bombing-manhunt.html

Some leads. Some people have reported seeing him... but "months ago"... they have footage of the second bomber... but beyond that... zip.

So yes, it's looking entirely likely that the man was a foreigner, and this wasn't a domestic terrorist attack (the Thai government is denying it's a terrorist attack of any kind). Strange that no one has claimed responsibility... as is the norm for a "terror" attack. So quite what the point is... no one knows yet.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ish-connection-in-shrine-bombing-manhunt.html

Some leads. Some people have reported seeing him... but "months ago"... they have footage of the second bomber... but beyond that... zip.

So yes, it's looking entirely likely that the man was a foreigner, and this wasn't a domestic terrorist attack (the Thai government is denying it's a terrorist attack of any kind). Strange that no one has claimed responsibility... as is the norm for a "terror" attack. So quite what the point is... no one knows yet.

...No one yet? Huh.

... 💡

If I was an unimaginative writer of mystery novels, I'd say maybe it was a targeted warning to someone, or a diversion from the actual crime that might have taken place elsewhere at the same time....

Back