Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 13,173 comments

How will you vote in the 2024 UK General Election?

• Conservative Party

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Green Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Liberal Democrats

• Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

• Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ban all the current British newspapers and news channels from spewing their lies, partial truths and biased political agendas that the British public lap up. Let them find their news from foreign sources. Obviously they'll all have their own leanings and agendas, but maybe, just maybe, they'll read something from another point of view to what they've been force fed on and dumbly lapped up and use it to form better, more rounded opinions on what's going on.

Brexit made me curious about the so ill-famed UK newspapers and media. I have access, through cable, to both Sky News and BBC news and I never found either of them to be particularly biased in one way or the other, even if you can always make a guess based on how the interviews are conducted or some comments surface here and there. But I found that the online newspapers are indeed untrustworthy, there you have an unhealthy mix of opinion and fact in almost every written piece.

Trying to find what both sides of the spectrum think I can read in quick succession the guardian online and the telegraph. But if I'm just looking for facts, I don't think either produces journalism.

@Hun200kmh - The Daily Fail's website is considerably more entertainment orientated than the print, largely because the website is aimed at the huge American audience.

The print, and certainly the front page, is significantly more political. The same can be said of other tabloids. The problem with the Fail is that there is some misconception in the UK public that it's actually a decent newspaper, probably because it didn't contain breasts...

And it's from there that the swill of British political media eminates.

At least he's displaying more consistency on "350m saved from the NHS" as he's doubling down on endorsing the figure as I understand it.

At least he's displaying more consistency on "350m saved from the NHS" as he's doubling down on endorsing the figure as I understand it.
I felt physically sick smelling the absolute BS coming from him on the morning Radio 4 interview, and equally wanted to punch him for refusing talking through the interviewer at every opportunity.

By using the word "sketch" to describe the piece (which is right there at the top of the page) it's clearly a piece of humourous writing about the machinations of a Big Party visit ;)
It may be intended to be humorous but at the same time it is trying to put forward a message. May and her government have tried so far to do as much by themselves as possible without either parliament or the public having a say.

So lets go through May's record as PM.

Gets elected by not even the wider Tory party.
Tries to do everything herself with no chance of a debate.

Yeh sounds like Kim Jong Un to me.

So if you think the army should have explosives you're a warmonger?

Has Corbyn actually said the army shouldn't have bombs? If not, shouldn't that be the issue with the poster?
I understand what the message is. I am just telling the feeling I got from it.

And no I don't believe he has.

He has insofar as he's very recently repeated that he wouldn't use the deterrent.

You mean nuclear bombs? It's not quite the same as saying he's against giving the army weapons, but as per usual I suspect it'll work. Being against blowing the planet up is usually confused with being ready to surrender to the Andorran army for whatever reason.

I just woke up, so maybe I misunderstood what the image (poster?) is trying to say, but are the Tories claiming he's going to lower or possibly even eliminate the military budget and raise everybody's taxes? If that's the case it seems to me like they want to have their cake, eat it, and make a claim of cake for everyone. Even a child can tell that's more cake than they have. :lol: If only the average voter could... :grumpy:

You mean nuclear bombs? It's not quite the same as saying he's against giving the army weapons,

That's true and, to add something I should have thought of earlier, the British Army don't operate Trident, the Royal Navy do :)

I guess they're saying that we need more weapons which we won't get under Corbyn and that he'll additionally deliver a family Bombshell.

The entire royal household has been called without warning to a meeting at Buckingham Palace today. A statement was supposed to be made at 8 am but it didn't happen.

It's not known what it's about, they have stated that there has not been a royal death. It is unusual that such a meeting would be arranged so quickly.

Speculation and comments online are getting pretty 'wide ranging' :lol:

The entire royal household has been called without warning to a meeting at Buckingham Palace today. A statement was supposed to be made at 8 am but it didn't happen.

Although other sources are saying it's the normal annual meeting of staff who work across the Royal Households.

Surely this isn't some snap decision when he got up this morning!

No, and he's not standing down for several months yet so it seems unlikely there's any urgency in the situation.

Don't forget to vote about your bins tomorrow. It's important.

Well... it is. People often complain that government doesn't represent them, I sometimes wonder if that's because they don't choose to take part in the elections which most affect their day-to-days.

It actually is. Aside from Westminster giving us 7 years of budget cuts, almost all of the things people bitch about why their town is so crap is down to the local council.

In other news: Abolish The Monarchy
Budget cuts come from central government, scope for self funding come from central government, recycling objectives come from central government, road funding comes from central government, education policy comes from central government, investment in renewables comes from central government, housing policy comes from central government.

Perhaps I don't have enough insight into local politics, but it all seems to be posturing about topics that are either way above their station or get referred onto national government anyway.

That Sun place holder headline :lol:
It's almost like it was written by Phillip himself.

No, and he's not standing down for several months yet so it seems unlikely there's any urgency in the situation
I suppose it's possible that he could have been given a terminal diagnosis and will withdraw from public life in August because he only has a few months to live. It would explain the extraordinary meeting (if it was extraordinary) but with no apparent urgency to it if they were discussing palliative care.

Back