Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 13,173 comments

How will you vote in the 2024 UK General Election?

• Conservative Party

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Green Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Liberal Democrats

• Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

• Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hopefully the papers'll run a best of listing of his various pronouncements over the years. After he said "this electrical work is so bad it looks like it was put in by Indians" the PR person who spun it into "he meant to say cowboys instead" deserves an award.

Which was apparently a hoax?
I wouldn't call it a hoax. A hoax would suggest that it was a deliberate attempt to deceive in such a way that the deception takes on a life of its own - for example, when British settlers discovered the platypus and sent a specimen back to Britain, zoologists were convinced that it was a fake given the apparent absurdity of the creature.

No, this seems to have been more of a rumour that got out of control.

No, this seems to have been more of a rumour that got out of control.

Central mainstream sources reported throughout that the "emergency" meeting was nothing but the regular annual meeting and that DofE wasn't standing down until the end of August. There was clearly no story, much less "DofE dead" or "DofE Killed in Paris Tunnel" etc. etc.

Council elections in; UKIP lost or losing every seat they held or are contesting.

A cause for celebration? Perhaps. They'll still be on television all the 🤬 time despite having no MPs and no local councillors.

The irony being, of course, that UKIP was founded by disaffected Conservatives who are now returning to the mother party. The blue corner is making big gains.

Labour has taken a hammering in the local elections loosing more than 150 seats and the Conservatives have gained a large number of councillors, nearly 250. UKIP has also lost many of its seats.

Conservatives took Brackla, Bridgend after May came to visit. Brackla is a large residential area, a mix of former council homes and 80s-00s family homes.

What's worrying is the votes they won in Brackla ward are possibly enough to win the Bridgend parliamentary seat in June.

And even more, threatens Carwyn Jones's position in the Welsh Government.

Nigel Farage stepping down, the ensuing leadership fiasco, the disaster from Liverpool and finally the dreadful election results today may very well spell the end for our British independence movement.

Had the referendum result gone the other way I likely would have voted for them, but with their purpose realised and their wonky leadership the party will only keep haemorrhaging support.

Perhaps they should've re-branded.

The problem with UKIP is that no one knows what they stand for. We got brexit, now what?

My dear old Labour party took a beating. Have to say I am a little sad at this.

It has, to this point, lost every single one declared so far :lol:
UKIP has, so far, taken one seat from Labour but lost every single one it has defended - totalling 130 seats lost.

You could argue it's a fitting sign of both their success and their failure. All the seats they're losing are the ones they took in 2013, the unexpected triumph that came from their surge in the polls through the previous year...........the surge that prompted Dave to promise the referendum to help him win in 2015..........the referendum that gave us Brexit........the Brexit that's caused voters to happily abandon UKIP today.

I don't care about fox hunting. Nobody I know or have ever known has cared about fox hunting (and I grew up on the edge of the Peak District, with many farms a mere stone's throw away). I would literally struggle to find anyone who has even an opinion of fox hunting - I might, with a heavy canvas, establish that some people I know think it's a bit cruel to kill foxes that way/at all, some who think it's a posh sport and have heard tales of horses and hounds marauding through suburban gardens at will, and some who think it keeps niche businesses going.

So why in the hell was it a priority for Labour to ban when they got into power in 1997, and why in the hell is it now a priority for Theresa May to overturn the ban after the next election?

Why do MPs and political parties care so much about fox hunting when, as far as I can make out, no other bugger does?

Why do MPs and political parties care so much about fox hunting when, as far as I can make out, no other bugger does?
Because it's a classic us versus them debate that is a great distraction.

I grew up semi-rural and once or twice a year a hunt would come past the house, hounds would go up the driveway a bit and then follow the horses up the lane to a farm. Didn't bother us.

But the way it seems to seperate country folk from townies is the real kicker. For country folk it's just part of the scenery, the fox has to die one way or another so what difference does it make if there's a bit of sport to it. To the townie it's a barbaric ritual done by people who must be rich because they have a horse (semi misconception).

What I find ironic is that I'm sure many people that oppose fox hunting also oppose the likely alternative, guns.

But the way it seems to seperate country folk from townies is the real kicker.
But that's the thing. I've lived in places where town is on one side and country is on the other (still do) and no-one gives a crap about it.

It's like an entirely invented wedge... bring up fox-hunting and the poor/city-but-not-the-rich-bit-of-London are supposed to think "Bloody rich kids being cruel to animals because they inherited loads of land" and the rich/countrysiders are supposed to think "Bloody townies telling us how to live on the land when they don't even come here", but I don't get why anyone is supposed to think that when no-one actually cares.

It just doesn't make any actual sense. It's like banning gout.

I'm more concerned with how Theresa May's cult of no personality is going. People, political pundits and journalists, are often saying that you can only ask her pre-approved questions at her public appearances with miserable and uninterested workers at whatever factory or locale she's at.

The whole standard of "politicians are there to be held to account by us and are not here to rule us" is not looking particularly evident by the ruling powers. Which is no surprise but always worth pointing out.

There's also been a heavy backlash to the front page advertisements the Tories have taken out with Trinity Mirror Group; it's appeared in all of that company's local and regional newspapers. What irks me is that whether you like the voting system or not, most people cannot vote for Theresa May or Jeremy Corbyn or Tim Farrow or Leanne Wood or Caroline Lucas because they're not standing in that constituency.

If you were looking at the Flintshire Evening Leader, saw that advert and through some oxygen-starved brain damage decided that you did want to vote for Theresa May, you wouldn't be doing so; you'd be voting for Laura Knightley, the Conservative candidate for the Alyn & Deeside constituency.

A big problem with how people approach or don't approach general elections is that people love to vote on a national basis even though their vote only counts locally.

The true mark of a great politician is how well they can not answer the most basic of questions.

As the EU Referendum is over, have a new poll.

The old one finished like this:

howwilleuvote.jpg

I don't care about fox hunting as a self-contained spectacle but I care about animal cruelty which overlaps somewhat.

Fox hunting is cruel & barbaric - just look what happened to the Turkish ambassador's son after taking part in the hunt ... KARMA.

... though not a bad way to go, I suppose.

But that's the thing. I've lived in places where town is on one side and country is on the other (still do) and no-one gives a crap about it.

It's like an entirely invented wedge... bring up fox-hunting and the poor/city-but-not-the-rich-bit-of-London are supposed to think "Bloody rich kids being cruel to animals because they inherited loads of land" and the rich/countrysiders are supposed to think "Bloody townies telling us how to live on the land when they don't even come here", but I don't get why anyone is supposed to think that when no-one actually cares.

It just doesn't make any actual sense. It's like banning gout.
It wasn't a hot topic where I lived, but people did care. Certainly with the divide between Swansea and Gower, coastal towns and the valleys.

Liquid
I don't care about fox hunting as a self-contained spectacle but I care about animal cruelty which overlaps somewhat.
And I guess that's part of the issue, it's an extremely targeted issue. There are plenty of aspects of animal cruelty that's embraced in British society like intensive farming, ritual slaughter and in-bred pets. But "townies" seem to not care about this whilst eating their barn-laid omelette with halal chicken whilst cuddling their semi-suffocating pug.

Latest Posts

Back