Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 13,093 comments

How will you vote in the 2024 UK General Election?

• Conservative Party

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Green Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Liberal Democrats

• Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

• Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I had to switch it off when he started going on about how good his weapons were as if he were part of a sales meeting. :banghead:

I was listening to Trump answering questions earlier and I heard this gem: "I think they like me a lot in the UK".

Who gave him that idea?

I'll take a guess, someone else who oversaw snooping in on phone calls and texts, whose first name rhymes with "sneers".

If Trump doesn't at least get egged I will be surprised.
There is no way anything is getting thrown at him. Think about how much security is around the US president, if anyone even raised an arm to look like they where going to throw something (and where in range to do so) they'd be shot before it even left their hand

If Trump doesn't at least get egged I will be surprised.

There is no way anything is getting thrown at him ... ... they'd be shot before it even left their hand

Uuunnnnless....

shade3.jpg

Perhaps he was recollecting from the past when men had higher testosterone levels in Britain, but not now.
Well, get you, sweetie... :lol:

Kowtowing and knuckling under to our would be new master may be a pastime reserved for real men only but the rest of us reserve our right to peaceful protest if that's okay with you.

Last edited:
Well, get you, sweetie...

Kowtowingand knuckling under to our would be new master may be reserved for real men only but the rest of us reserve our right to peaceful protest if that's okay with you.

That's fine, but it will be good to see what his achievements/failures at the end of his term will be just to see if he really is all that bad. So far, he seems to get things done (N Korea, who would have thought!) and his crimes have been a tiny fraction of his predecessors with regards to stiring up trouble in the ME, yet no one on the left seemed unhappy about that because there were good intentions in spreading "democracy".

That's fine, but it will be good to see what his achievements/failures at the end of his term will be just to see if he really is all that bad. So far, he seems to get things done (N Korea, who would have thought!) and his crimes have been a tiny fraction of his predecessors with regards to stiring up trouble in the ME, yet no one on the left seemed unhappy about that because there were good intentions in spreading "democracy".
That topic already has its own thread and healthy debate. You don’t need to defend your celebrity president here.

So far, he seems to get things done (N Korea, who would have thought!) .

He got nothing other than a repeat of NK's agreement. In the last 20 years there are fewer years when they haven't made that agreement to somebody than years when they have.

his crimes have been a tiny fraction of his predecessors with regards to stiring up trouble in the ME, yet no one on the left seemed unhappy about that because there were good intentions in spreading "democracy".

Utter rubbish. In the UK there was meltdown from the lefter edges of the (then) centre-left government around the time of the War on Terror. The actions have been condemned since the by antagonists of all persuasions. Take those blinkers off! :D

I was listening to Trump answering questions earlier and I heard this gem: "I think they like me a lot in the UK".

Who gave him that idea?
I saw him on the news today, he looked like he was wearing uniform from my primary school. *Nostalgia*

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people actually do, probably most accurate thing he has said recently given some of the 🤬 he comes out with. :lol:

That topic already has its own thread and healthy debate. You don’t need to defend your celebrity president here.
So it's ok to insult Trump and hope he gets assaulted in this thread but not say anything positive about him? Where is this rule written?

Looks like Trump will continue our ‘special’ relationship with the US, which is a relief.

:lol:
"I told Theresa May how to do it but she didn't agree, she didn't listen to me... Deals that take too long are never good ones," he said.

It’s impressive, given his business backgrown, how little he actually knows about brokering deals :lol:

But the killer is that, he’s literally ruling out the US trading with the U.K. on any basis, if we leave;

"If they do a deal like that, we would be dealing with the European Union instead of dealing with the UK, so it will probably kill the deal."

Another fun part of The Sun interview with Trump;

Oh and this is pretty funny news; an artist/group created a "**** Trump" crop circle, in Russian

And the last update to this now blog-post;

Sadiq Khan addresses Trumps' criticism of him and London, via;
London Mayor Sadiq Khan has told Sky News the US president needs to explain why he attacked him for a rise in crime in the capital during an interview with The Sun overnight.

"We as a city are grappling with the evils of terrorism, like other cities around the world, we've had terror attacks here last year, and in Manchester," Mr Khan said.

"Paris, Nice Brussels, Berlin, cities in America have had terrorist attacks.

"It's for President Trump to explain why he singled out me as the Mayor of London out and not other leaders of other cities.

"He's also linking immigration in Europe with the rise in crime in England and Wales. Crime has been going up for the past four years, including in London.

"South Yorkshire has seen a rise in crime of 61%, Manchester has seen a rise of more than 60%.

"It's for President Trump to explain why he's blaming immigration and why he thinks I'm responsible for immigration to Europe or the UK - I don't have a say over these things."

SOMEONE STOP ME

Last edited:
But the killer is that, he’s literally ruling out the US trading with the U.K. on any basis, if we leave;
I don't think that is the case - he is saying that a US-UK free trade agreement won't happen if the UK is still bound by EU rules (i.e. soft Brexit).

-

It is a rather unfortunate coincidence that the Brexit white paper was published on the same day that Trump arrived in the UK - and he hasn't wasted any time in trashing it.

A free trade deal between the US and the UK should be a top priority for a post-Brexit Britain, but Trump being in charge has totally changed what this entails. Ironically, although Trump dismisses the idea that the UK and the EU ought to have a common rulebook, customs alignment etc. in order for a trade agreement to be reached, I bet he will be expecting just as many concessions from the UK than the EU will for any trade deal to happen between the US and the UK. Compared to Trump, negotiating with the EU will seem like a walk in the park.

I don't think that is the case - he is saying that a US-UK free trade agreement won't happen if the UK is still bound by EU rules (i.e. soft Brexit).

-

It is a rather unfortunate coincidence that the Brexit white paper was published on the same day that Trump arrived in the UK - and he hasn't wasted any time in trashing it.

A free trade deal between the US and the UK should be a top priority for a post-Brexit Britain, but Trump being in charge has totally changed what this entails. Ironically, although Trump dismisses the idea that the UK and the EU ought to have a common rulebook, customs alignment etc. in order for a trade agreement to be reached, I bet he will be expecting just as many concessions from the UK than the EU will for any trade deal to happen between the US and the UK. Compared to Trump, negotiating with the EU will seem like a walk in the park.

In the past he/The White House had stated that the US would trade with the EU over the UK, suggesting that if the UK wasn't beholden to EU trading laws, the US still wasn't interested in trading with us. Sorry I probably should have included that with my original post ^^

In the past he/The White House had stated that the US would trade with the EU over the UK, suggesting that if the UK wasn't beholden to EU trading laws, the US still wasn't interested in trading with us. Sorry I probably should have included that with my original post ^^
I reckon the confusion stems from Trump's incoherent and contradictory statements more than anything else.

But when it comes to a trade deal between the UK and the US, it is right to some extent that a deal could be made much harder to reach if the UK is still a part of the EU regulatory framework, but I don't see why the US would not want a trade deal with a completely independent UK as well as the EU... it's more a question of priority and content, and arguably the UK would have substantially more leeway to negotiate independently as opposed to say Germany who can only agree to a deal as part of the EU.

I reckon the confusion stems from Trump's incoherent and contradictory statements more than anything else.
Indeed

But when it comes to a trade deal between the UK and the US, it is right to some extent that a deal could be made much harder to reach if the UK is still a part of the EU regulatory framework, but I don't see why the US would not want a trade deal with a completely independent UK as well as the EU... it's more a question of priority and content, and arguably the UK would have substantially more leeway to negotiate independently as opposed to say Germany who can only agree to a deal as part of the EU.
You'd have thought, but then it's fair to assume no one thought Trump would start a trade war with the EU and China while screwing over trade with Canada! :lol:
The idea that the UK can trust/hope for good trade relations with the US seems to be a fallacy.

So far, he seems to get things done (N Korea, who would have thought!)

US intelligence suggests otherwise

I hear this argument a lot about Trump; "he gets things done", but I never see any actual examples other than overturning anything Obama introduced which, if anything, just proves that Obama was just as good at "getting things done".

Perhaps he was recollecting from the past when men had higher testosterone levels in Britain, but not now.

You got a source on that? Not that it has anything at all to do with politics.

Back