Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 12,864 comments

How will you vote in the 2024 UK General Election?

• Conservative Party

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Green Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Liberal Democrats

• Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

• Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can't help but think that the impact of the swing to Labour in Scotland is perhaps more significant than in many English seats.

Last edited:
One bright spot. It now looks like the Greens could end up with 4 seats, and Reform may only get a couple more than that. A welcome balance of left and right.

Jeremy Hunt barely held on and I’m glad. Talked to some friends who live in his area and they say he’s actually a great local representative.

My area still to declare. Being 2 billion in debt the local council probably had to cut back on facilities. I expect it’s one poor soul counting in a shed now. The area is changing though - Guildford & Surrey Heath have gone LD, Aldershot has gone red (the Cons have lost the army!).

Last edited:
Well, I was expecting Daventry to be called at about 4:30... so I'm now out of Jager, and on the coffee.

1720155746660.png

One bright spot. It now looks like the Greens could end up with 4 seats, and Reform may only get a couple more than that. A welcome balance of left and right.

Jeremy Hunt barely held on and I’m glad. Talked to some friends who live in his area and they say he’s actually a great local representative.

My area still to declare. Being 2 billion in debt the local council probably had to cut back on facilities. I expect it’s one poor soul counting in a shed now. The area is changing though - Guildford & Surrey Heath have gone LD, Aldershot has gone red (the Cons have lost the army!).

My area just declared - 50% voted LibDem in a seat held by the Tories since 1950. It’ll probably switch back at the next election but for now that’s worth a drink.

Reform standing down wouldn’t have saved the Tories here, unlike a lot of areas.

Let’s play PR - based on current vote share a Labour/LD/Green coalition would govern with 53%. I’d sign up for that. Would not need a deal with any of the regional independence parties.

Last edited:
THE LETTUCE IS OUT!

I should clarify... the economy crashing waste of atoms failed to win against the labour candidate.

Not by much though.

edit:

Oh Man... looks like my constituency result is going long...

Last edited:
I fell asleep and had to concede defeat at around 12.30 pm last night, so I'm just seeing the results now.

A massive win for Labour, a rout for the Tories - but also a rout for the SNP in Scotland.

A great result for the Lib Dems as well, but with a lower share of the vote than Reform...

Very interesting, however, to see that Labour only have 34% of the popular vote, the very lowest end of the projections from pre-election polls.

Great to see that Truss and Rees-Mogg are gone - let's hope they take the hint and quit politics, both in public and in their private lives... they are exactly the kind of people, however, that I can see hanging around like a bad smell for a long while yet.

Unfortunately my area and those immediately around me are still Con, however some Lib Dems presence has increased massively even to the point that we now have an orange ring around us

What the Conservatives have been taking from this is that they aren't far-right enough...
The number of votes for Reform suggest that there really are that many unpleasant people in Britain.

Last edited:
The number of votes for Reform suggest that there really are that many unpleasant people in Britain.
They came 2nd in my home town and I'm very disappointed. The kind of small minded, ghoulish attitude you have to have towards other humans in order to vote for such a hateful party absolutely boggles my mind.

BBC/ITV/Sky exit poll:

Lab 410, Con 131, LD 61, Ref 13 , SNP 10

170 majority, not super, 9 less than 97 TB
Current:

Lab 411, Con 120, LD 71, Ref 4, SNP 9

Lab majority of 176 with 4 seats left to declare.

Pretty accurate exit poll, but glad Reform didn't get 13 seats.

-

Percentages:

Labour - 33.8% (+ 1.7%)
Cons - 23.7% (- 19.9%)
Reform - 14.3% (+ 12.3%)
Lib Dems - 12.2% (+ 0.6%)
Green - 6.8% (+ 4.2%)
SNP - 2.4% (- 1.5%)
Others - 6.8%

But at least that number doesn't appear to be rising a great deal. In the 2015 election UKIP received 3.88 million votes. Reform (as of now with 5 seats left to declare) have received 4.08 million votes.

As if we didn't already know that.

High overall number of votes for Reform, but they've fell well short of the Exit Poll predicted 13(?) seats with only 4. Two of those look to have been very close too. Low 60% turnout though.

Nice to see no Tory presence in Wales any more.

Last edited:
Current:

Lab 411, Con 120, LD 71, Ref 4, SNP 9

Lab majority of 176 with 4 seats left to declare.

Pretty accurate exit poll, but glad Reform didn't get 13 seats.
412 now for Labour. Reform may pick up one more, there's a recount later for one in Essex where they are provisionally ahead.

Updated fantasy PR totals (based on the 650 seat HofC):

LAB 221, CON 156, REF 91, LD 78, GR 46, SNP 13, SF 5, WPB 5, PC 5, DUP 4, ALL 3, SDLP 2, UUP 2.

Don't know how to account for the independents like Corbyn. I suspect that standing on his own nationally he'd very very easily get the 1-2% needed for a seat.

Last edited:
Can't work in a representative democracy; you can't foist 87 additional Nazis onto areas that didn't vote for them to represent their interests in Parliament.

AV is the only viable replacement for FPTP. And I'd argue for a threshold 50% of the electorate (not the vote cast) for a candidate to be returned too.

I just found out that a friend of mine voted Reform because he "likes Nigel Farage". His sister is married to an immigrant. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at their family dinners right now.

Can't work in a representative democracy; you can't foist 87 additional Nazis onto areas that didn't vote for them to represent their interests in Parliament.

AV is the only viable replacement for FPTP. And I'd argue for a threshold 50% of the electorate (not the vote cast) for a candidate to be returned too.
If the country as a whole votes for that many of the bellends then frankly it should get what it wants and we share the pain around. It would also mean about 40 extra Greens and I'd take that deal. Make Parliament truly representative of how people vote, not dependant on where they vote.

Someone get Larry an umbrella!

b9d67760-9b27-4722-834e-bd78f2924b48.jpg

Last edited:
Make Parliament truly representative of how people vote, not dependant on where they vote.
Then you'd remove the "representative" part, and that has... myriad issues, but one big one.

MPs represent their area in Parliament. By removing that you leave huge regions unrepresented at a national level as parties focus on population centres (primarily London and the south-east, and the M4 corridor) to get their votes.

AV is the only way to go in a representative democracy, and it'd mitigate the effects of morons and protest votes.

Well we’re red again after going blue. It’s about sodding time.

More worryingly is the amount of dumb people we have floating about. Like other constituencies the shift to red was not really a gain by much, but Reform picked up a bigger percentage, so unless Labour makes big inroads to appease the racists and dummies then it could be a reform win next time.

IMG_0482.jpeg

Last edited:
AV is the only way to go in a representative democracy
A pity and a mystery then why so few actually use it. I shall have to consult my Aussie friends on how they feel about it. Of course it's a non-starter for the UK - can't be going around re-running referendums, might give people ideas 🇪🇺

Back