Cappuccino Cup Racing (RM) - SEASON 1 COMPLETE!

• Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 1,431 comments

Best Race Day/Times (Top 2 Will Be Chosen)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I better get some practice laps logged. I haven't touch this car for a week and even then the few practice laps I got in were spent trying to remember how to drive this track. I do remember that none of the guys that were testing at GP/D were able to keep temperature in their tires so that could prove to be interesting. PonyStig ran a one-off flying lap that was obnoxiously fast so it seems that I might be chasing him this week.

I better get some practice laps logged. I haven't touch this car for a week and even then the few practice laps I got in were spent trying to remember how to drive this track. I do remember that none of the guys that were testing at GP/D were able to keep temperature in their tires so that could prove to be interesting. PonyStig ran a one-off flying lap that was obnoxiously fast so it seems that I might be chasing him this week.

Yeah, by his own words he's normally faster than you but he wasn't taking the Capp's too seriously and got jealous when everybody started praising your speed. Yes, I said jealous. He was crying into his cappuccino the other night, sobbing softly into his My Little Pony pillow.

Regarding the tire temperatures, that might have been because it was in a private lounge. I'll probably move it back to a public room tonight, see if that helps with the tire temps.

B

Just as a matter of interest (and to see just how out of my depth I am), what sort of laptimes are you guys running? Any hints for a noob to this track?

I think the fast guys were running about a 1:45 the other day after our race. I don't think the cars were fully dialed in for the track, but that gives you an idea. I haven't done much setup for mine on this track yet, so I can't be of much help.

B

StigsHero
Yeah, by his own words he's normally faster than you but he wasn't taking the Capp's too seriously and got jealous when everybody started praising your speed. Yes, I said jealous. He was crying into his cappuccino the other night, sobbing softly into his My Little Pony pillow.

Regarding the tire temperatures, that might have been because it was in a private lounge. I'll probably move it back to a public room tonight, see if that helps with the tire temps.

B

Hahahaha

I think the fast guys were running about a 1:45 the other day after our race. I don't think the cars were fully dialed in for the track, but that gives you an idea. I haven't done much setup for mine on this track yet, so I can't be of much help.

B

Thanks for this Brandon. Best I can manage is a mid 1.48 but I think my setup needs a bit of work. I'll try and watch the race tonight and see if I can get any tips!

Poor PonyStig, jealous of little slow me. :lol::lol: I've never really thought about who typically is the "faster" driver between the two of us as I have always just been trying to improve my own driving abilities. I know I am not the type of person who will go out and run a record-breaking time on Lap 1, rather, I need seat time to improve my laps. Racing with R1600Turbo, Wardez, and Egghead over the past six months has greatly improved my ability to get more from the car/track combination, as well as what I consider to be extremely important, my racecraft and consistency. PonyStig is probably justified in his feeling that he is "normally" faster than me but I think he would be one of the first to admit that his inconsistency is his greatest enemy. (@PonyStig - See FMSC Spec Miata Race 1 qualifying.)

Perhaps, but IIRC we experienced similar tire temp issues with our Spec Miatas during Season 1 when we were also running sport softs.

Last edited:
Don't feel bad, I'm around 1:48 too, but I've done very little practice or setup. In fact, I haven't done much setup to this car at all for the series other than transmission and downforce. I found a happy medium that seems to work well on most tracks and just use those 2 settings to dial it in for each track. I could probably be faster if I fine tuned some of the suspension settings, but I'm kinda "green" in that area so I usually just find something close and then adjust my driving to the car.

B

I smell a friendly rival brewing. Oh wait that's just 16 buzzing, gurgling Cappies. ;)

Rivals make for interesting racing. Seems it will always remain friendly. That's key to improving and having fun with a rival racer.

Just as a matter of interest (and to see just how out of my depth I am), what sort of laptimes are you guys running? Any hints for a noob to this track?

I am fairly certain I was running consistent low to mid 1:44s with my fastest being a 1:43.6xx with a botched Sector 1. If I am recalling my lap times correctly this would mean that PonyStig's obnoxiously fast time was a 1:43.1xx which I was promptly on the way to besting, as I was .2xx faster through Sector 1, when Yuritardid decided to accidentally start a new race, prohibiting me from finishing my lap which had me at .4xx faster through Sector 2.

Long story short, 1:42s are possible but probably unnecessary. Bottom 1:43s should ensure a grid spot that is far enough in front of the ensuing Turn 1 carnage.

As for tips, be sure to stay as far left on your Turn 3 exit to allow for Turn 4 to be taken flat out. Carrying as much speed through Turn 7 is very important as it is followed by the long run downhill to the best passing zone on the track, the chicane. However, don't push too hard through Turn 7 and risk getting the left side of the car onto the sand as it will suck you in and completely ruin your lap.

I am fairly certain I was running consistent low to mid 1:44s with my fastest being a 1:43.6xx with a botched Sector 1. If I am recalling my lap times correctly this would mean that PonyStig's obnoxiously fast time was a 1:43.1xx which I was promptly on the way to besting, as I was .2xx faster through Sector 1, when Yuritardid decided to accidentally start a new race, prohibiting me from finishing my lap which had me at .4xx faster through Sector 2.

Long story short, 1:42s are possible but probably unnecessary. Bottom 1:43s should ensure a grid spot that is far enough in front of the ensuing Turn 1 carnage.

As for tips, be sure to stay as far left on your Turn 3 exit to allow for Turn 4 to be taken flat out. Carrying as much speed through Turn 7 is very important as it is followed by the long run downhill to the best passing zone on the track, the chicane. However, don't push too hard through Turn 7 and risk getting the left side of the car onto the sand as it will suck you in and completely ruin your lap.

You think there'll be carnage at turn 1......on this track??? Nah..... lol

+1 about not getting the left side of your car into the sand, that stuff slows you down like you've deployed a parachute behind you! It will totally ruin a good lap but at least 1-2 seconds.

B

We better make sure we get this race completed before 9:45 EDT so we don't get disconnected:

Maintenance Notice

Hurray for updates!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, I was thinking that too. We should be done by 9pm so I don't think we have anything to worry about.

I'm really hoping the update brings some new options to online racing, like rolling start option for all tracks (not just ovals) and the option to do races by laps or time limit, to name a couple. The option to do a "host selected" grid line up would be great too, something where the host just clicks the drivers names in the order he/she wants them to start so we don't have to do the pull-on-track-and-stop nonsense. I've not heard any rumors of such things, those are just at the top of my wishlist. :)

B

Aaaaah people talking about poor little old me when I'm computerless :( If only I was CONSISTENTLY faster than brosif :P Time trials are more my things against brosif. That being said, I WILL NOT TAKE CAPPS SERIOUSLY :lol: Nurb GP is my favorite track though, so in my practice session last night I was running consistent mid to high 42's with a couple 42.2's.

Sadly I won't be there tonight :( So I guess this is my "worst finish" bye week.

Sadly I won't be there tonight :( So I guess this is my "worst finish" bye week.

If it makes any difference, you get a "bye" for every night so tonight will only apply to the Tuesday series. 👍

After some of our free-runs recently and a couple races at Lancer's Oval, I decided to take to the Course Maker and try to create some good oval's for the Capp's to run on. I came up with a few good results, onboard videos posted below. Cappy Speedway is posted for sharing right now if anybody wants to check it out. Let me know what you guys think!

Cappy Speedway

Mini Martinsville

B

BrosifDuder
:lol: In defense of Yuritardid, it was actually me who accidentally started a race while you were on that hot lap, though I can assure you I felt quite retarded for doing so. Seems your memory of lap times is quite sharp, but you mixed up my behavior with the eponymous GTP racer. ;)

Don't know if I can make it tonight, but I'll try because I have minimal experience on this track and I have a ton of time to find if I want to compete at the front. In that session you're recalling I was way back at a 1'44".8xx.

A disturbing trend is forming in the size of the gap as the Capp Cup progresses. From no gap at Tsukuba to .4 at Deep Forest to currently over a second at The Ring... Shockingly, there's a disturbing correlation between the widening gap and my lessening familiarity with each subsequent track! :dunce:

@Brandon: I'm definitely out for this Friday, but I'll try to make it tonight. If I don't, I'll be sure to peek in on the Livestream by ASRA! 👍

:lol: In defense of Yuritardid, it was actually me who accidentally started a race while you were on that hot lap, though I can assure you I felt quite retarded for doing so. Seems your memory of lap times is quite sharp, but you mixed up my behavior with the eponymous GTP racer. ;)

Don't know if I can make it tonight, but I'll try because I have minimal experience on this track and I have a ton of time to find if I want to compete at the front. In that session you're recalling I was way back at a 1'44".8xx.

A disturbing trend is forming in the size of the gap as the Capp Cup progresses. From no gap at Tsukuba to .4 at Deep Forest to currently over a second at The Ring... Shockingly, there's a disturbing correlation between the widening gap and my lessening familiarity with each subsequent track! :dunce:

@Brandon: I'm definitely out for this Friday, but I'll try to make it tonight. If I don't, I'll be sure to peek in on the Livestream by ASRA! 👍

I couldn't remember if it was you or Yuri so I guessed wrong. Sorry, Yuri!

You should definitely show up tonight. GP/D is one of my favorite courses and without PonyStig there I will need people to run with up front. That is, of course, if I am running up front tonight.

I'm really hoping the update brings some new options to online racing, like rolling start option for all tracks (not just ovals) and the option to do races by laps or time limit, to name a couple. The option to do a "host selected" grid line up would be great too, something where the host just clicks the drivers names in the order he/she wants them to start so we don't have to do the pull-on-track-and-stop nonsense. I've not heard any rumors of such things, those are just at the top of my wishlist. :)

B

Honestly, all I want is for them to fix the connectivity and lag issues on their side so they can offer rock-solid racing and I can run bumper to bumper with people and not worry about getting lag punted.

Dunno if somethin was off with the physics last night or what, but just ran a few laps and my best was a 42.8 with my average being low 43's. Anyway I'm hoping the update allows for more specific lobby restrictions along with improving the servers. Id really like to be able to participate in a spec series that I know is spec :P

Many thanks for this - I'll have a practise and follow your advice. Turn 4 is problematic to me so I'll see if I can get further left and get a decent speed up. I really appreciate you taking the time to give me some info.

Dunno if somethin was off with the physics last night or what, but just ran a few laps and my best was a 42.8 with my average being low 43's. Anyway I'm hoping the update allows for more specific lobby restrictions along with improving the servers. Id really like to be able to participate in a spec series that I know is spec :P

Were you in your lounge or in an open room? I've only been running in an open room (hoping to entice other cappuccino drivers to join me). I'll have a go in my lounge and see if there are any physics differences.

elginge
Were you in your lounge or in an open room? I've only been running in an open room (hoping to entice other cappuccino drivers to join me). I'll have a go in my lounge and see if there are any physics differences.

I was in my lounge both times...maybe I messed up with the room settings.....oooowell :)

Many thanks for this - I'll have a practise and follow your advice. Turn 4 is problematic to me so I'll see if I can get further left and get a decent speed up. I really appreciate you taking the time to give me some info.

You're welcome, dude! It's really not a problem.

Some more advice for Turn 3 & 4:

- Your entrance for Turn 3 should be wide enough to allow for a very late apex. Basically your apex should be at the exit of the corner and as far left as you can go (within reason - keep it on the pavement). Trail braking can really help rotate the car here and get it lined up for Turn 4.

- Once you have the wheels straight and have exited Turn 3 you should be able to get back fully on the throttle while continuing forward for about 25-50 feet before you start your entry for Turn 4.

-Turn 4 needs to be completed flat out while missing the inside kerb, if possible, as it upsets the car and causes oversteer. If you find yourself running wide on exit it is because you are either too far to the right when you exit Turn 3 or you are turning in too early. Either way you are too swallow at corner entry and you need to adjust accordingly.

Turn 4 is probably the one I have the most problem with. I rarely am able to go full throttle through there, but I can tell I should be. I think my car still understeers a tad too much, it might be time to head to the tuning shop. What's the best way to reduce understeer by just a tad? Soften the front sway bar or adjust the ride height?

B

Depends on where ur experiencing understeer. If its midcorner understeer, increasing the front toe out will greatly help. It also helps with turn in 👍

Depends on where ur experiencing understeer. If its midcorner understeer, increasing the front toe out will greatly help. It also helps with turn in 👍

Yes, mid-corner and exit, on throttle. And when you say increasing the front toe out you mean putting it at a positive instead of a negative number, right?

B

Don't think so...I think its making it more negative...you're experiencing understeer because the inside tire is losing grip, so increasing toe out increases the angle out on that inside tire. Hope that makes sense. On the other hand, you may want to experiment with softening those front sway bars and opening up the diff a bit.

I always like having a tight car, so I just usually try to keep my adjustments to camber, toe, and ride height :)

@StigsHero: PonyStig is right. More front toe out (higher negative toe value) will improve turn-in and mid-corner to exit grip, reducing understeer. For example, if your front toe angle is .10 right now, you might want to go down to 0, or even down to -.10 and see how it feels.

If somebody's able to check out the live video stream let me know how it looks/sounds. I was able to pull it up on my iPhone (free livestream app) and it seemed to be working pretty well! (Hint: if you're using the iPhone app, turn it landscape for full screen)

Let me know if you can hear what everyone's saying. I have a speaker right by the cam so it should be loud enough.

B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back