Car drawings

• Thread starter Pebb
  • 3,548 comments
I'm planning to own a custom car shop in the future. I've been designing cars since I was 10 or so (I'm almost 15 now), and since then my designs have really been improved. I'll draw and post a few of my latest designs after school (I'll draw them during school, of course :dopey:.

Oh, and I read the first few posts in this thread. TVR&FF, that guy that put you down in the second page did have a somewhat valid point about there being rough competition in the field of car design for the big companies. That's one of the reasons I decided on opening a custom car shop instead of trying to apply for the big places. My other reason to not go for the big leagues is that the market is very harsh. One bad review for your car could mean a few bad consequences. With a somewhat small custom car company, the customer decides on what he wants and is less likely to hate the car. Anyway, if you really want to be working for Lotus or other big companies, it's still worth a try.

Love the drawing in the center, Trico. You should try a super-detailed version some time, like your other drawings.

Here's one of my 'highly detailed' drawings from about 8-9 years ago. I was very proud of it back then (also one of my own designs)... but today I'm not expecting any comments on it. :lol:

p1020378qu8.jpg

I'd like to show you guys my latest drawing to compare with my last one. I think I'll have it up by tomorrow.
How do you guys do those "concept" style drawings that I see people like ATP doing? I've always wanted to do those, but when I'm drawing, I can never get lines without weird squiggles in them.

Were those wheels supposed to be round? :lol:
They were round... when I was 11. But they've eventually turned into a set of pears since then. Maybe I got my inspiration from the Flinstones. :)

I'd like to show you guys my latest drawing to compare with my last one. I think I'll have it up by tomorrow.
How do you guys do those "concept" style drawings that I see people like ATP doing? I've always wanted to do those, but when I'm drawing, I can never get lines without weird squiggles in them.
I haven't sussed that one out yet. Everytime I try to do a concept sketch like Picos, they always have a real bad perspective. Or I think it looks like crap half way through, so I thow it in the bin.
I sometimes have ideas, but getting exactly what you want onto paper is frustratingly difficult.

Edit: Some minor additions to my (now old) drawing: http://jacoja06.deviantart.com/art/Red-Bull-98581310

Last edited:
@ Patrik: Very nice challenger you've finished drawing... It ended up looking very accurate, too. What type of pencils were you using btw? Maybe you could try using a 2B pencil for some of the more darker parts of the car (like the blue). Could end up with better contrast 👍
I'm going to pick a little on the rear wheel also. It looks to be facing towards the camera more then the wheel in the actual photograph... like it has more camber angle. Otherwise, thats really about it. Looks brilliant 👍

Yeah, I agree about the rear tire..

Last edited:
I'm...not that great, but I figure I might as well show my five most recent...I've been on a Wangan MidNight craze, lately.

Maximum_Tune__BlueBird_by_Jim_Prower.jpg

BlueBird, a "Cursed" Plymouth Superbird. (Think Devil Z)

Maximum_Tune__Howler_by_Jim_Prower.jpg

Howler, Part Prowler, Part 787B, Part Formula 1 car.

Maximum_Tune__Mallard_by_Jim_Prower.jpg

Mallard, Based on the famous LNER A4 locomotive. Yes, it's steam powered.

Jim Prower, What I recommend for you to improve the quality of those images is to either get better colouring mediums or don't colour it. The Colour job (Don't take this the wrong way), is childish and IMHO shows that the artist didn't put out their full potential. Anyone can colour really good, it's a matter of how much effort you put into it. Why I say this is because your drawing lacks a lot of contrast. the colour job is very flat, and it's not fully coloured in. In doing this, even the pencil work is almost too hard to see. Are you looking at a photo when drawing these? If you are, study the reflections on the car, draw those in too, input an overall highlight and shadow of the body. When simulating chrome (your rims esp.) try not to saturate the colours too much as it takes away the effect. "Less is more". Before Colouring, If you have a Black Fine tip marker or a Black Pen, Do a single stroke outline on your pencil work, a thicker outline around the entire car, the doorlines, surface seperations will be more defined, making your work more interesting to viewers.

You'd be amazed how nice plain line drawings can be. Seen mine?

Try these tutorials below, they will help if you try.

Styles 4 Cars - Car Proportions This will help you improve understanding of proportions, esp. profile images. Then take that skill and apply it to this:
Hector Realubit - Pen Drawing

Last edited:
Jim Prower, What I recommend for you to improve the quality of those images is to either get better colouring mediums or don't colour it. The Colour job (Don't take this the wrong way), is childish and IMHO shows that the artist didn't put out their full potential. Anyone can colour really good, it's a matter of how much effort you put into it. Why I say this is because your drawing lacks a lot of contrast. the colour job is very flat, and it's not fully coloured in. In doing this, even the pencil work is almost too hard to see. Are you looking at a photo when drawing these? If you are, study the reflections on the car, draw those in too, input an overall highlight and shadow of the body. When simulating chrome (your rims esp.) try not to saturate the colours too much as it takes away the effect. "Less is more". Before Colouring, If you have a Black Fine tip marker or a Black Pen, Do a single stroke outline on your pencil work, a thicker outline around the entire car, the doorlines, surface seperations will be more defined, making your work more interesting to viewers.

You'd be amazed how nice plain line drawings can be. Seen mine?

Try these tutorials below, they will help if you try.

Styles 4 Cars - Car Proportions This will help you improve understanding of proportions, esp. profile images. Then take that skill and apply it to this:
Hector Realubit - Pen Drawing

I typically don't have a reflection reference when I color, and...for the reference purposes of others...I like to at least show what colors the vehicle is. The other problem is that I don't have a very steady hand. Look at the linework. It's horrible. Now, Imagine what would happen If I couldn't erase that.

I hate using a pen, because every mistake is permanent: I end up with a cramp because I'm holding the pen so tightly. I do have a .01 and.05 mm pen, but it still comes out very wavy and crude, particularly on long continuous lines.

Charger_C1_1_by_Jim_Prower.jpg

Does that really look better?

Last edited:
Don't expect yourself to be perfect, as much as I think i can draw a straight line i still can't even til today...
-Practice makes perfect.
-For drawings like yours, rulers and templates are extremely useful.
-and when you are using pen do light strokes, you don't have to make a dark stroke everytime.
-and Don't think proving me wrong means anything... You jsut need more experience

Well, I was miffed, I apologize. You weren't being a jerk, but there's been someone on another site who has been, and I'm a little jumpy.

I...really don't understand how to make the strokes vary. How's that done?

The amount of pressure with make your stroke vary. for pen I belive it depends on the pen that you're using. Also speed can determine a little. Pencil can be angle and pressure.

An easy way to start out is say, use a light touch with a ball point and then get another pen with a thicker MM and use it.

I wouldn't worry too much about your lines, it just takes practice and it's one I'm still dealing with as well.

I've wanted to draw something these past few days, but I'm just way to busy. :indiff:

i dont recommend those for doing any sketching because they simply bleed on your page at full opacity.. use them for finishing touches.

those aren't pens either they're markers with a super thin tip.
A regular Bic Pen is good for sketching, i use those as they are cheap and easy to get.

-> Here mine again, nothing much really, all bunch of squbbles and baubles. I'm as good as what most guys contributed here. :indiff: :dunce::scared:

Attachments

• 2007-01-29-0508-39.jpg
    2007-01-29-0508-39.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 2007-01-29-0559-17.jpg
    2007-01-29-0559-17.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 2007-01-29-0600-14.jpg
    2007-01-29-0600-14.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 37
  • 2007-01-29-0511-58.jpg
    2007-01-29-0511-58.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 45
I am speaking to you now from BayConRong's computer, as his is the only computer in the family that can take XD cards.

It's been a while since I posted one of my car drawings, so I figure I'll show you one to show off my improvements over the last year or so. It's still a work in progress, so I'll be adding shading soon. I'll show it to you then.
PB260351.jpg

Yes, I know that the front is very R8-ish, I took the design cues from it, and I know the whole page is yellow, which it shouldn't be.

Stig, when did you change your name? Try looking at them sexy car sketches people do on DeviantART, the works of (for example); TonyWck, HusseinDesign, HusmenDesign, and of course mine:sly: no i'm just kidding :lol:. Study the way they do it, and copy their style. That should help you and other car drawing newbies here improve a lot.
on Top of that, use a scanner if you got one.

EJ, that's pretty sick, i think'd it'd be even greater with a cartoonish backdrop.

I took art in High School :D. These where made about 6 months ago(and yes I'm left handed):D

Attachments

• PB290001.jpg
    PB290001.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 67
  • PB290002.jpg
    PB290002.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 59
  • PB290003.jpg
    PB290003.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 63
  • PC020003.jpg
    PC020003.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Nice drawings^^, But nothing for 3 months?

I'll post a WIP of my Harvey two-face drawing I'm currently working on. This is the first drawing of a person (in detail) I've attempted... and it's going pretty good. Need to correct a few shadows on the left of his face though.

Not really a car... but he's sitting IN a car. 👍

p1030374l.jpg

"You're a lucky man... but he isn't." "Who?" "The driver." *snaps on seat belt* screech, car flips Bang!

that looks sick, where'd you get such a panoramic sized paper?

lol, some scary good drawings in here :)

Anyway now I present the Venom Sparrow uber hot hatch:

*EDIT*
And another car, this one a 2+2 GT supercar...
Venom Tomcat:

Last edited:
Nice designs, Venom. :)
"You're a lucky man... but he isn't." "Who?" "The driver." *snaps on seat belt* screech, car flips Bang!

that looks sick, where'd you get such a panoramic sized paper?

Haha, yeah. One of my favourite parts of the movie. 👍

The paper (Australian 'A2' size) is from an art store called Jacksons. Took me a long time to find half-decent paper like it in Perth. It's texture and depth is great to work with... so you can always manage to include more detail in your drawing then standard printing paper. 👍

By the way, (I think) I've asked before, but I'll ask again. Have you ever considered drawing real detailed renders of the concepts you create? Your ideas look great... and they'll look amazing if they appeared to be real.

Nice designs, Venom. :)

By the way, (I think) I've asked before, but I'll ask again. Have you ever considered drawing real detailed renders of the concepts you create? Your ideas look great... and they'll look amazing if they appeared to be real.

render? in what way traditional or digital? 2D or 3D? I don't know a 3D program well enough to render let alone even having a program.

However that GoKart I drew, I am currently rendering that with pencil, sorta like what you do, however I ain't drawing from a photo reference.

There's a lot of the concepts i drew that I dont want to render because either the sketch was too messy to go over with the pen tool, or it wasn't drawn to correct perspective. I look at all m past works most of them had some perspective error and I don't know why I can't seem to make the surfaces seem more 3-dimensional than some flat crappy work.

Back