Car drawings

• Thread starter Pebb
  • 3,548 comments
I posted in this thread before (supposedly in 2008 though I can't find it and don't really care to), but I'm assuming that when I did it was from when I didn't know how to do anything other than side and possibly top views (I'm sure my designs have evolved much more as well), so I think I may need to redeem myself here. I still don't shade yet, but I'm an (aspiring) engineer, not an artist.

I'll start with some real or real-based cars:
Mazda 787B - Based on an image of a scale model. my first decent perspective drawing. The wheels are bad because I didn't develop a good technique to do them at the time. I guess it is a bit long too.
Mazda787B.png

Generic Open Wheel Car - First try at open wheel, and it turned out okay. Wheel's aren't bad because I had more space to do them in, but they still took a day's worth of open time in class (so maybe an hour to an hour and a half) to get to where they are.
CART-resized.png

Now the imagination starts: some of my own designs. I'll start with what I feel are the worst and move forward.

Untitled 2 - no name for this particular model yet. The first untitled doesn't have a 3D picture at the moment. Usually I'll design a car with 2D side and top views, and then do the perspective drawings from there. I really like the muscle car look and I often find myself thinking of different variations of this particular style (for example, I have a drawing with a more stylized hood with raised wheel arches and stuff).
untitled2-3D-resized.png

Volume (Untitled 3) - This model was untitled 3, but I considered how close it was to the "Volume" that I only had 2D views for, that I moved the name over. Reminds me of Lamborghinis. Not the most creative design, but it's something to say the least. This is where I started drawing wheels/tires before the rest of the car, and I think it ends up with a much better result. Don't mind the tiny side mirrors.
untitled3.jpg

Untitled 5 - I was given some useful criticism by a substitute teacher in one of my classes that my cars resembled 80's/early 90's cars and that in today's market they may not sell as well. He noted that they are boxy and pointy, and that nowadays cars are more bubbly and rounded. So I tried my hand at a new style. I'm still trying to decide if I like it or not.
untitled5.png

Untitled 4 - Something new. I had considered tail pipes sticking out of the top of the rear of the car for a while, and I think this ended up really nice. There's a difference in the spoiler because when I designed it from the side it looked like it would block the rear window's view. Supposed to be a front engine car, though I'll admit a bigger engine would fit in the rear and would make the pipes more useful where they are. I'm liking the front but starting to wonder about the rear. Maybe a wing would work better?
untitled4.png

Some of you are fantastic at drawing, I haven't really drawn anything in 2 years. I plan to start again.

EDIT - Found this I drew on MS paint when I was about 8

13858_105091766169688_100000065949323_135850_8360338_n.jpg

Last edited:
Some of you are fantastic at drawing, I haven't really drawn anything in 2 years. I plan to start again.

EDIT - Found this I drew on MS paint when I was about 8

13858_105091766169688_100000065949323_135850_8360338_n.jpg

Well, at least its better than gt5 damage ;).

That's pretty good for an 8 y.o. The fact that you can imagine visual damage on a car at that age is pretty fantastic. I remember I used to draw big rounded edge rectangles and 2 circles creating profiles of a transit bus back when I was 4 or 5.

Here's something i did on Monday.
032511sketch.png

Since I can't come up with anything original, I looked at an old design of mine and tried to restyle it to look more feasible.

Some Angry GT5 Complaining member said Take pokemon and turn it into cars, World of Warcraft characters into Drivers, and you'd have GT5..
I did exactly that and I got this.

pokemoncarpikachu.png

Last edited:
If you go back and see my post with Project Spectrum, you'll notice I don't color my work. AOS, you have some great work. Everytime I try to colour my work I mess it up. How do you not mess up your work when colouring?

I'm going to try drawing a car on MS Paint, I haven't done it for a long time though.

I want to learn how to draw using pencil. But being at school all the time whenever I even touch one my hand hurts.

EDIT: Well here ya go, threw it up in 10 minutes.

190785_211224685556395_100000065949323_874468_4090679_n.jpg

Last edited:
Woe, some of these drawings are great. Being an aspiring Automotive (or aeronautical) designer of engineer, I may as well see what I can do with a pencil and paper... I might attempt 2 drawings tomorrow: A BMW 3-Series concept with styling features from the i3 and i8, and a modern day Mustang fastback. Oh and maybe a modern day F40 or McLaren F1. And... etc. It's unlikely you'll see the results, since I don't have a decent camera right now, and it'll probaly be in the bin.

Sorry for the double post, however I just finished my best MS Paint Drawing yet.

What do you think?

5605414193_1c4b4da57e_b.jpg

Last edited:
Back