Cars You're Tired of Seeing

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 243 comments
Honda HR-V

Unofficially the most common vehicle on suburban NJ roads, dethroning the Rogue, CRV, and Equinox. HRV's are literally everywhere. For such a small CUV, these things sell far more than I ever expected. To be fair, the HRV is fairly good-looking for a subcompact crossover, but the fact that I see one basically at every stoplight makes me not care at all how it looks. Still, I'd much rather see these everywhere than the funky-looking Toyota CH-R.​
Things haven't changed here in SE Indiana / SW Ohio. Still Equinoxes EVERYWHERE. And if it's not an Equinox, then it's a CR-V. I have seen very few HR-V's. It would actually be a nice change of pace here. :lol:

This may shock you, but I don't think I'm mentioning any new ideas here:

Four adults don't want to travel in a Yaris, Fit, or Versa. Maybe on short trips, but that's it.

The average US family consists of four people. They carry things.

Couples go out together. (See above.)

People buy stuff and have to fit it inside the vehicle.

The gas tank range stinks on compact cars.

Good luck easily fitting and removing two full-size pieces of luggage in many sub-compacts.

Average United Statesian doesn't pay much more for entry-level mid-sized car, and licensing, insurance, or registration taxes/fees aren't much greater (if at all). Probably sees larger car as prestigious, more comfortable, and safer, doesn't care as much about being more nimble or having better fuel economy.

Now, a couple or single person doesn't really need that much vehicle (half of the country could literally get by with a subcompact) but maybe their ubiquity and sales figures tells you that the mid-size it's just about right for many.

...Yes, I still Drive this small car on weekends Disclaimer

Totally agree. Not everyone in the States drives a Suburban. In further shocking news, I can tell you from personal experience that a base-trim 2015 Chevy Mailbu LS Eco is a surprisingly nice ride. Decent power, plenty of room, quiet, and 40-plus mpg on the highway. Cabin and trunk space to take myself, Mrs. WMS, and our 14 and 17 yo boys on a week's vaca 200+ miles away without being cramped. Used, it was $5-$6k less than any comparable CUV. Interestingly, it is VASTLY more solidly put together and the interior materials are much nicer than my 2012 Mazda3 S Touring. The Malibu replaced a 2002(!) Olds Intrigue GL we bought new in June of 2002 and drove until August of 2018, 180k miles or so. Buyers in the states who not shopping American brands are misinformed, I think. (For the record, I've run a variety of GM products into the high 100K mile ranges, typically keeping them 10-11 years. I bought the Mazda because I wanted a high-trim hatch with a little bit of motor and a stick, something the domestic guys didn't offer at the time. (Focus ST was just out, and pricey...(and a Ford...)))
One observation for those who maybe don't understand the USA- we have an incredible network of roadways, and not much rail service. Air travel is expensive, and gas is cheap. We think nothing of taking a multi-hundred mile trip by car. I go from coastal Virginia to Michigan on a regular basis, and it's a 2.5-tank trip in either of our vehicles, vs. the hassles and expense of flying.

Volkswagens. Just, all of the damn things. The new ones, at least - they're all the damn same. You can throw in Audi, Seat and Skoda too!

The VW Golf - hmm, let's make it look just like it did 10 years ago, with a nice, cheap, nasty interior and sell it for thousands more than all the other hatchbacks with cheap, nasty interiors!

Minis. People are just asking too much for these cars. Yes, yes it's an automotive icon that I adore, but Australian prices are silly. Plus, there are more than enough here, for this small market. When I see one for sale, it's like that Grandpa Simpson gif.

Ford Fiesta Zetec
Vauxhall Corsa ‘07 - Present
Fiat 500 1.2 ‘08
Audi Q3

It’s all you see here in the UK. Boring cars.
Yep the Fiestas with the ST bodykit are everywhere. Wonder how many head gaskets have gone.
It's a shame it's not the previous shape Corsa that's common (the one that was actually decent...)
Like my previous post I'd say literally anything V.A.G makes is too common on UK roads, not just the Q3.

I’m fed up of seeing massive 4x4 SUVs, great big hunks of metal and glass, being driven around by a single commuter or shopper.

We are told they are the biggest seller sector now in the UK... fashion eh?

The ‘higher than thee’ driving position backs up the “I’m important and I’m coming through” mentality of a number of drivers who buy these cars (note I didn’t say all here)...

Car parks burst at the seems as 10 foot wide super SUVs sit jammed together door to door in spaces created/ painted for the mini metro and Vauxhall corsa sized cars of the past...

And in my tiny lightweight Mazda MX5 (Miata) I just about come up to their wheel arch top of...so I often need to brake sharply as the SUV driver forces their way in front of me at roundabouts etc... as I am ‘inconsequential’ in my lightweight efficient two seater sports car, and shouldn’t be in their way...in my environmentally friendly, made out of very little metal and glass as possible... sipping fuel like a little cat :) car...

Whilst I do understand there is a need for such vehicles, they are not a requirement for everyone, unfortunately fashion has now dictated they are a must!

These are everywhere. I can't take a 5 minute drive without seeing four.

2017-Tesla-Model-S-P100D-V8-1080.jpg

Tesla-Model-X-1.jpg

I'm not sick of the Model 3 yet - it's just recently started popping up. Probably won't be long though.

Also these:

2011-nissan-leaf_100327937_l.jpg

2018_Nissan_LEAF_US_09.jpg

I've nothing against EVs, it's just that they're everywhere around these parts.

I do find the design style language of EVs interesting though.

You can see the mind of the designers, in that-

it needs to look futuristic, to back up the whole electric vehicle thing...

I needs to be very low drag, with no gaping holes, or superfluous aero tomfoolery to get the mileage range required.

And the hardest one it needs to look ‘different’ but not that different that no one will buy it.... “the leading the pack but no leading it so far in front that your out on a limb” type of thing...

Most of the above is also true of an ICE car too, but it’s more visible on an EV car today.

You can actually see the designers minds working on al, the above points on almost any EV car currently on the road

Yep the Fiestas with the ST bodykit are everywhere. Wonder how many head gaskets have gone.

Literally saw this yesterday on the M4 near Swindon. 68 plate, Enterprise rental car. Boy, that renter must have been gutted.

Minis. People are just asking too much for these cars. Yes, yes it's an automotive icon that I adore, but Australian prices are silly. Plus, there are more than enough here, for this small market. When I see one for sale, it's like that Grandpa Simpson gif.
The prices are even more outrageous in the United States since they are rare cars here.

Chevrolet Trailblazer

These have been out of production for nine years now, yet there still everywhere, at least where I live. The Trailblazer has always been a depressing looking vehicle, falling behind cars like the Highlander, Pilot, Explorer and even Durango in both the exterior and interior, yet I see more of these than any of the aforementioned SUVS. They seem to be the vehicle of choice for families to want/need a large SUV but can't afford a new one and don't want the Tahoe image. I kind of wish they'd just die out already...

Even it's predecessor, the "normal" Blazer is still relatively common despite their age, but I don't mind seeing them, as not only did they look less awkward, but there are far more trims and colors available on the Blazer which can make things interesting. These Blazers seem to be pretty reliable, from what I understand.

Ah the new Polo... that looks just like the old Polo... that looks just like the new Golf... and the old Golf... and the older Golf... oh wait, I'm starting to see a pattern here.

I happen to think that the new Polo is actually fairly ugly.

I'm tired of seeing these:
O1MNGEE1.jpg

Why on earth do people buy them? We sell a surprising number of used ones and I just don't get it. They're not nice to drive, they're not cheap to buy or run, they're not practical or spacious, and they're not luxurious. The only reason to get one is appearance, and I don't like the way they look.

I happen to think that the new Polo is actually fairly ugly.

I'm tired of seeing these:
O1MNGEE1.jpg

Why on earth do people buy them? We sell a surprising number of used ones and I just don't get it. They're not nice to drive, they're not cheap to buy or run, they're not practical or spacious, and they're not luxurious. The only reason to get one is appearance, and I don't like the way they look.
I myself have wondered why these disgusting, overpriced pieces of cow excretion with wheels bolted on sell so well.
The thing that most gets me is the sheer size. How can you possibly call it 'Mini'?

2013- Volkswagen Golf GTI

Can't believe I'm putting a sporty car in this thread, but I am. The Mk. VII Golf (in USA, at least) must be the only car in history in which the performance variant is a much more common sight than the regular car! Where I live, these are everywhere, definitely the most common sporty car, and sadly driven by the worst type of drivers: people who drive these often cut you off, not use their turn signals, and go far above the speed limit, many of which are "bros". That being said, I don't dislike the new GTI, it certainly isn't a bad car by any means and rather good looking, but I see so many that they become stale.

2013- Volkswagen Golf GTI

Can't believe I'm putting a sporty car in this thread, but I am. The Mk. VII Golf (in USA, at least) must be the only car in history in which the performance variant is a much more common sight than the regular car! Where I live, these are everywhere, definitely the most common sporty car, and sadly driven by the worst type of drivers: people who drive these often cut you off, not use their turn signals, and go far above the speed limit, many of which are "bros". That being said, I don't dislike the new GTI, it certainly isn't a bad car by any means and rather good looking, but I see so many that they become stale.

Funny enough I used to think that with GTIs in my area. But they've all kind of disappeared and now all I see are middle aged or older folks driving them around and not so aggressively. Amusingly enough that I bought one and haven't gotten any waves from older owners. On a very rare occasion, I've come across a few people who wave back.

I know we've brought up full sized trucks plenty of times. But the Ford F-150 Raptor has become more and more of an unwanted sight. The truck is great fun, capable, and looks cool, but the owners seem to be some of the most aggressive people on the road. A large majority of the owners I come across on the road are tailgating, weaving through traffic, and generally being absolute jerks to everyone else on the road. I loathe it anytime I see one come flying up behind me in the rear view mirror.... Most of the time, you barely see a spec of dirt on them.
cq5dam.web.1440.1440.jpeg

I don't mind Raptors as they blend in with every other truck on the road fairly well.

Most of the time, you barely see a spec of dirt on them.

I know how it is, just the other day I saw a Lamborghini that wasn't even going ridiculous speeds!

Seriously, of all the arguments against off-road vehicles, this one will never make sense to me. Firstly, vehicles of any type rarely get used to the full extent of their capabilities. Secondly, if I spent 50k+ on a vehicle, I'm sure as hell not driving around with a dirty truck just to prove I go off-road with it.

I don't mind Raptors as they blend in with every other truck on the road fairly well.

I know how it is, just the other day I saw a Lamborghini that wasn't even going ridiculous speeds!

Seriously, of all the arguments against off-road vehicles, this one will never make sense to me. Firstly, vehicles of any type rarely get used to the full extent of their capabilities. Secondly, if I spent 50k+ on a vehicle, I'm sure as hell not driving around with a dirty truck just to prove I go off-road with it.

Understandable. There are plenty of Jeeps that drive around covered in mud trying to tell everyone how rugged they are. It just feels like Raptor owners have more of a power trip than other truck owners...

I was in Miami Beach in late December, and it felt like there was a Toyota C-HR almost every block. But funny enough, I do like the way it looks, so I didn’t mind much. It’s nuts how a racing version has appeared at the Nurburgring 24h - maybe that car, alongside the N24 Lexus LF-A, would make for good Gr.4 cars.

But for a more relevant answer, I’m a bit bored of the Jeeps with “angry eyes.” It seems a bit cringey.

Back