Complete American Car List

• Thread starter Jedi2016
  • 299 comments
im just happy that im in good health and in a good enough country and in good enough wealth to be ABLE to post on this forum and comment about gran turismo 4...and to be able to play the game like that and to understand whats going on and be able to have fun at that...while a ton of other people in this world dont even know of the existence of this game...lets not take what we get for granted

i do agree there should be more american cars, but BE HAPPY WITH WHAT YOU GET since yer at least ABLE to play...

I think the reason PD didn't include a ton of American cars is that there isn't a ton of them worth driving, and neither are there all that many of them that are historic. Face it, ladder-frame chassis and pushrod engines are old news. In addition; most American performance cars are all about the numbers with little consideration to nuance-- read evo's review of the C6. Its all grip, not handling. Same with the Viper, the STS/CTS/XLR, hell even the vibe has the same problems. And as for pushrod engines having good torque, true, but cast iron is heavy. A Vette engine weighs like 500 lbs; a Lancer engine is more like 300. American drivetrains are usually heavier given a power output than a fancyschmancy import. They develop a car to a price and most americans want reliablity and comfort. I won't get dragged into saying they're bad cars, they're just friggen boring. witness the fact that almost every manufacture makes the NA market cars more luxo and softer and heavier.
Other than the Vette and maybe an SRT-4 so you can see a Cooper S corners around it, what current American car (that isn't in the game, all you GTO/Mustang/Focus/etc. lovers) does anyone in this forum care about? The Cobalt? Magnum? Ok sure, but what about all the German/Swedish/English/French cars they left out? I'd much rather they put in a 944/Corrado/Volvo P1800/Morgan/Venturi than a C6. It's a C5 with a bunch of progress in the suspension and a smaller body. Gimme a nice rear transaxle car or another choice under 2000 lbs. This is a racing sim, right?
I guess while im wishing for some cars i'll wish for some more: any CanAm/GT from the 60's/70's-917/512M/Mclaren/AlfaTipo/i don't care! A 93 mazda MX3-- not with the stock 1.8, but like my car--- 2.5 v6 from a MX6. Hell an MX-6 or Probe GT (ugly!) would be cool (see, an American car! I'm with you guys!) Maybe some Speed World Challenge cars or ETCC/BTCC cars. How about a '99 Champ car? Or a FFord, or a FBMW, or a FHayabusa, or a FMazda... any open wheel car that's under an F1 (so my buddies and I can have a slow open wheel class)... 60's cars!!! there are so many that need to be in the game-- more muscle cars (AMX, Boss, Fairlane 500, Monte Carlo SS), More britsh sports cars (C/D type Jag, any of the Aston Project 215 type coupes, TR3-TR6, MGs A and B(and GT), Marcos, Austin Healy, Lotus 23, Capri) and I'd like some pre WWII cars... Bug 35, Merc(I forget the type), Alfa 2.8, ERA, that sort of thing. And if possible MORE group C stuff... maybe they could get Dauer to sign on as a Tuner/Manufacturer so we could bet the EB110SS and 962LM road cars, not to mention the car that won lemans in '95(?) Oh, and Macca F1 road car, Koenigsegg, and Cerbera LM (fastest car in GT2!) They need Ferrari/Lambo/Porsche, too, and frankly I don't give a toss about EA. Those are arguably the three most important manufacturers of entertaining cars in the world, and their absence is silly. I can think of at least 20 models from each marque that would be my favorite car.

Of course none of this will matter if they left 2P screwed up for NA. What the heck were they thinking? That's the game, pure and simple. Me and a friend racing cars that are tuned like we like em. It was so fun in GT3 coming up with a bunch of classes; you could get a class that was w/in .2 secs around almost any track that had extremely diverse members. For example my "orange/yellow" class (yeah i color coded them, so what? makes it easy to know that you're in the right car) does 1:10s easily around Deep Forest with super softs (my fav track; im most consistent there and Trial Mountain) and includes: Cobra(maxHP), mosport elise(Max turbo), Clio race car (450hp), RGT(512hp, NA), Zonda C12(460), CTR 2 (alot of power in that one), GT300 Silvia (i forget the damn name, has like 430 HP) and 206. They're all within half a second, and have VASTLY different strengths/weaknesses. That's just one class; I have others, and they all hinge on being able to fine tune suspension/engine/tranny/downforce. I may cry for months if I cant get at my garage in GT4 2P. And to those who say they let you modify tires and power and final drive, let me say that the Cobra/CTR2/Elise would be totally out classed without the abilty to tune roll bars camber and toe at the least.

Hope i didn't piss off TOO many people; I'm just talkin here

You make a good point, though, godislex. Everyone's so bothered about this one car that's missing, when any one of us could name off a hundred cars that aren't in the game.

You did mention one I'd like to see.. Morgan. I would have LOVED driving a Morgan.

Omologato
So the NSX must use Lucky Charms to get all its power, same with the 350z, seeing as how they dont have a TT setup;)

LUCKY CHARMS ALL THE WAY

Neither car is a "supercar" in my opinion. Neither even have 300 hp of the production line. Now I know HP isn't the end all be all of a car, but it's a major point.

The NSX is very slick. I'm not sure why people keep mentioning the 350Z, it's cool, but again, not too big on power.

Swift
Neither car is a "supercar" in my opinion. Neither even have 300 hp of the production line. .

I think that they only come off the production line with under 300 is because japan has a 276hp cap on production cars. So ive heard anyways.

Not to mention the stock C6 engine has three times the displacement of a 4G63. Cast iron? The Vette's engine's all-alloy, the Mitsu's engine is heavy iron. The LS1/2 are actually both pretty lightweight when you look at horsepower-per-pound. The huge mod V8s from Ford are the heavyweights. You can keep complaining about Lamborscherarri all you want, but it's been covered endless times; PD probably needed a huge sum of money to get them in, and is it really worth it? They're going to sell millions of the game regardless. The return probably doesn't match up with the hefty investment.

I..... I dont understand how they can leave out the new COrvette Z06 and the new C6? But they have the Nike 1 in the game? wtf :grumpy:

The list includes:

53 Skylines
25 NSXs
21 Lancers
19 Imprezas
17 RX-7s
12 Silvias

The developers have filled the list with cars they've owned, their friends' cars, their girlfriends' cars, their parents' cars, their children's cars, their co-workers' cars, their neighbors' cars, and their wives' cars.

I repeat: This is a self-indulgent list. They knew they could get away with it because GT4 will sell tens of millions of copies no matter what cars are in it. The point is that they put in what they wanted, not what we paying customers all over the world wanted.

Yeah, you bet I'm steamed about it. I expected better. A lot of other people did, too.

wow....53 skylines in one game :indiff: i really wish i could have a 1 on one converation with the developer. i might have been able to convince him to put a few cars in the game.

Zardoz
The list includes:

53 Skylines
25 NSXs
21 Lancers
19 Imprezas
17 RX-7s
12 Silvias

The developers have filled the list with cars they've owned, their friends' cars, their girlfriends' cars, their parents' cars, their children's cars, their co-workers' cars, their neighbors' cars, and their wives' cars.

I repeat: This is a self-indulgent list. They knew they could get away with it because GT4 will sell tens of millions of copies no matter what cars are in it. The point is that they put in what they wanted, not what we paying customers all over the world wanted.

Yeah, you bet I'm steamed about it. I expected better. A lot of other people did, too.

WRONG.
KY has stated VERY publically that he built this game for HIMSELF. He put the cars that HE wanted in the game. Cars that HE liked.
If you happen to buy the game and share in his joy, he's all that much happier.
However, never did he state that he was making this game for anyone else and as such, it's unfair of you to judge his game when he did not have your best interests in mind. He's not even trying to please you. If you are pleased as a result of his work on HIS game.....so be it.

I for one hope he continues to do it like that. So I miss a few extra American muscle cars. Yeah I'm dissapointed they aren't there, but I think that the reason why the GT series is so good is because KY puts his heart and soul into it. The day he stops doing that...........is the day Need for Speed Underground 3 will become a better game because GT5 wasn't loved enough by it's creators to be done right.

SP33D
These lists can be soo redundant!

lol, couldnt agree more. :)

Speaking of redundant, the posts in these threads...are you people who argue about cars not being in the game that thick-headed? Give me a break. It looks so ridiculous..you make it seem like the developers avoided these on purpose..when I read some of this crap it only makes me shake my head. You suppose development took the time to say "hey, lets not put the new Corvette in the game and put in a '98-spec Daihatsu Whatever XX-TR.." I think not, it all comes down to liscensing, availability... I'm sure PD would have loved to stock as many more cars as they could.

Oh, and one other thing, some people have summed it up pretty well, it is a Japanese game...get over it. :ill:

Zardoz
The list includes:

53 Skylines
25 NSXs
21 Lancers
19 Imprezas
17 RX-7s
12 Silvias

I've not played GT4 yet (waiting for resolution of 2p issue in NA) but i suspect i'll be disappointed with it as well, but not because there are too many variants of a few japanese coupes-- which i agree there are! for the love of god 25 skylines would be too many-- and not because i can think offhand of 100 cars that are in it, but because of obvious features omissions, almost all in the interface surrounding the game, not the actual simulation itself. It's been the history of the game that GT1's interface was (IMHO obviously) the best out of the group, and it got crappier as the series progressed. As examples, who here misses the torque/HP graphs in the setup screen? how about an actual RPM/MPH graph in the gear ratios set? Sector and lap times for every lap in a run? the ability to turn the bosst level down w/o changing kits? or the car list from GT2 that you could read and not have to recognize a 20 pixel high shot of your car? and of course the stuff that should be there like separate setups/track selectable when you start a race, corner scales, tire temps reading... and maybe a few sim features like tire pressure and castor to make the alignment trifecta complete. Like I said, I haven;t played, so I don't know what Tire wear is like in GT4, but in GT3, once I had my car aligned and suspended the way I like, even Super Slicks only lasted 14-20 laps. That's crap.

is the list self-indulgent? You betcha. But I suspect marketing pressure from automakers determined the list as much as the developers desires-- GT is big business nowadays... most car nuts, gamer or not, at least know about GT, and from the sales and articles in many car mags, the industry realises that GT has changed things. I credit PD for getting the WRX and Evo into the states (partially anyhoo); i know GT was the first time I'd ever seen or heard of a TVR or a Skyline. There are 147 cars in your list there, truly a mind boggling amount of models to cover 6 cars. But on the other hand, there are still 550 or so totally unique cars to drive around 50+ tracks, and I just see the extensive japanese coupe coverage as a history of the rice rocket thrown in for free because PD is into it. Doesn't passion count for something? Its obvious the guys at PD love cars. I'd say I'll wind up having close to 500 cars in my garage when all is said and done. That's alot of suspensions to have tweeked, alot of cool cars of all kinds. I just wish I could scroll through a nice textual list to find both the car and pick a suspension setup for it.

SlipZtrEm
Not to mention the stock C6 engine has three times the displacement of a 4G63. Cast iron? The Vette's engine's all-alloy, the Mitsu's engine is heavy iron. The LS1/2 are actually both pretty lightweight when you look at horsepower-per-pound. The huge mod V8s from Ford are the heavyweights. You can keep complaining about Lamborscherarri all you want, but it's been covered endless times; PD probably needed a huge sum of money to get them in, and is it really worth it? They're going to sell millions of the game regardless. The return probably doesn't match up with the hefty investment.

You're right, crappy comparison, and yet... the lancer's engne is still lighter than the Vette's while putting out (in the FQ400 anyway) the same power. And the result is that the Lancer's lighter. Does the Lancer's lighter weight and 4wd get cancelled out by the vette's torque and throttle response? yeah probably. But while they both have the interior of a $30k car, only one of them is... Just buy a C5, give it 400 HP, a nice tweaked suspension and squint! (I'm sorry I just don't like the idea of a $50K "flagship" that has frame rails, leaf springs, and a crappy interior. I acknowledge the Vette's capable, it's just either 10K too expensive or 10K too cheap if it was put together like a Porsche or NSX. If it was nice inside of one, or was truly cheap to justify the low tech, GM would worry the German/japanese Makers)
and yeah I know the money it would take to get "Lamborscherarri" (rather like that) in the game is ridiculous, I'd argue that it would probably be worth it-- GT is all about vicarious experience, and driving historic exotics is a hell of a thing to emulate. The absence of the C6 is but a pinprick compared to the gaping hole left by those marques' not being there. (hmmm C6 or 2.7 RS? C6 or Muira? C6 or freakin Enzo? -- the vette's nice, I guess, but there are so many cars I'd rather see in game)

And please, please, please don't think I wont be playing and freaking loving GT4 like it was a child of mine. GT3 is the best driving game ever. Its physics are among the best, and any game that has had better physics has always had a much tighter focus on what cars you can drive, and lets face it, GPL is not as fun as GT3 when you're a bit intoxicated. When you overlook the interface, and if you can find a car that you like (make mine BTR please) the game is great. I learned to drive playing GT, and as i have gotten better as a driver, my GT has improved, and vice versa.

The point of both of my posts here was that it is pretty silly to moan the absence (or over abundance) of any particular car; There are literally hundreds that could be in the game that I'd like to see, but there's only 9GB of space on a DVD. I think they did a decent job of picking around 500 of the cars, and they filled in the history of many of japan's more entertaining models to drive. If there's one thing I wish for it's that they realise that they could sell me a Historic(as in 1886-1950), a Classic(1950-1975), a modern(1976-) and a general compilation(to compare between eras) version of GT5 each with very different car/track lists. Maybe GT5 is the compilation and then a "historic collectors edition" 3 disc set? bam! that's $150 that i'd be glad to give them. They could do an open wheel version, and a sports car version, and... so on. None of that really matters, cause Japan would be the only country that got them!! no i am not bitter sir.
I guess that I really wish they'd just hire someone else to do the interface of the game. Papyrus did it right. Sports Car GT did better than PD. I could do better. But every time I play GT3 I say "Crap this game sucks to set up" and then I drive around Trial Mountain or Deep Forest and I say "Oh god I forgive you I just got giddy from an emulated thrill", and I'm sure GT4 is a bit more immersive. I just hope 2P battle includes my freaking garage. There's nothing I hate more than understeery, traction controlled factory tunings, especially when I already have a good setup for 1p.

To get back on thread, can we confirm that the Audi V16, the Chaparrals, the Jag XJR9 and Pugeot 905B are in the NA version? And hey any confirmation that 2P is as it should be would be good for my stomach.

S31Ender
WRONG.
KY has stated VERY publically that he built this game for HIMSELF. He put the cars that HE wanted in the game. Cars that HE liked.

I missed that interview. I'd love to see it. It explains everything.

It makes the introduction on the official Sony site even more outrageous, doesn't it? Let's look at it again:

"Gran Turismo 4 is a journey to discover cars - the history of the automobile and its evolution to modern day vehicles. From the Model T Ford to today's state-of-the-art Formula 1 racers, the vast expanse of automotive racing is at your fingertips."

We'd better try another re-write of it, in the interest of truth in advertising. In light of what you've just pointed out to us, it should read as follows:

"Gran Turismo 4 is a journey to discover Kazunori Yamauchi's personal passion for Japanese automobiles - the history of Kaz' fascination with the Japanese automobile industry and his great admiration of how good it is at producing countless variations of the same car. From the Model T Ford to today's state-of-the-art Formula 1 racers, you will have at your fingertips a comprehensive study of Kaz' great enthusiasm for the tight little world of the JGTC series while he demonstrates again and again his complete lack of respect for any form of automobile racing that does not feature Japanese cars or Japanese engines, with the possible exception of the German Touring Car Championship."

Sony really needs to edit that paragraph on their site.

Zardoz
I missed that interview. I'd love to see it. It explains everything.

It makes the introduction on the official Sony site even more outrageous, doesn't it? Let's look at it again:

"Gran Turismo 4 is a journey to discover cars - the history of the automobile and its evolution to modern day vehicles. From the Model T Ford to today's state-of-the-art Formula 1 racers, the vast expanse of automotive racing is at your fingertips."

We'd better try another re-write of it, in the interest of truth in advertising. In light of what you've just pointed out to us, it should read as follows:

"Gran Turismo 4 is a journey to discover Kazunori Yamauchi's personal passion for Japanese automobiles - the history of Kaz' fascination with the Japanese automobile industry and his great admiration of how good it is at producing countless variations of the same car. From the Model T Ford to today's state-of-the-art Formula 1 racers, you will have at your fingertips a comprehensive study of Kaz' great enthusiasm for the tight little world of the JGTC series while he demonstrates again and again his complete lack of respect for any form of automobile racing that does not feature Japanese cars or Japanese engines, with the possible exception of the German Touring Car Championship."

Sony really needs to edit that paragraph on their site.

Things always seem or sound better than they really are, don't you think?

godislex
You're right, crappy comparison, and yet... the lancer's engne is still lighter than the Vette's while putting out (in the FQ400 anyway) the same power. And the result is that the Lancer's lighter.
Actually I think the vettes is either a little lighter or right about the same weight.

But while they both have the interior of a $30k car
acutally the evo's interior is more like $15K car.

Just buy a C5, give it 400 HP, a nice tweaked suspension and squint! (I'm sorry I just don't like the idea of a $50K "flagship" that has frame rails, leaf springs, and a crappy interior.
The interiors of the C6 is not that bad. No porsche, but it's not bad. And whats wrong with leaf springs? They seem to be working pretty good as the new z06 is going to pull over a G on the skidpad, stock.

I acknowledge the Vette's capable, it's just either 10K too expensive or 10K too cheap if it was put together like a Porsche or NSX. If it was nice inside of one, or was truly cheap to justify the low tech, GM would worry the German/japanese Makers
Base vette's only $45K. I think it's right where it belongs

GT is all about vicarious experience, and driving historic exotics is a hell of a thing to emulate. The absence of the C6 is but a pinprick compared to the gaping hole left by those marques' not being there. (hmmm C6 or 2.7 RS? C6 or Muira? C6 or freakin Enzo?
Guess I agree with you there. But woulnd't it be better to lose, say, 25 skylines and have them both?

Swift
Neither car is a "supercar" in my opinion. Neither even have 300 hp of the production line. Now I know HP isn't the end all be all of a car, but it's a major point.

The NSX is very slick. I'm not sure why people keep mentioning the 350Z, it's cool, but again, not too big on power.

Have ya seen their HP ratings for 2005, for both cars? Google and then report back to me.

godislex
....But I suspect marketing pressure from automakers determined the list as much as the developers desires-- GT is big business nowadays... most car nuts, gamer or not, at least know about GT, and from the sales and articles in many car mags, the industry realises that GT has changed things.

Actually, you're quite correct there. KY himself said in an interview (it's over on IGN, video interview), that roughly HALF of the cars in the game are a result of direct manufacturer request. For all you know, that could be why there's so many Skylines. If Nissan came to you, handed you a list of Skylines and five million dollars, you bet your ass you'd put every single one of 'em in there.

He also mentioned something about how there's only a few manufacturers in Japan, but that they make a great many cars that you see on the road every day, and he wanted a place where you could drive them all. And yes, he's aiming squarely at Japanese audiences. As mentioned previously, a great many Japanese people don't drive. This game is their chance to do so. That's the main reason why the game is so insanely popular in Japan. You think it's big here? GT in Japan > GTA:SA+MGS3+Halo2 in America. GT has never been, and will never be, aimed at an American audience. For the simple reason that in America, we all drive cars every day, we don't need the game to let us drive.

Back