COVID-19/Coronavirus Information and Support Thread (see OP for useful links)

• Thread starter baldgye
  • 13,259 comments
But couldn't it be seen as improving the companies ability to create a cure, by funding it that much more?
That is something I fully agree with, which is why I don't fully understand the backlash to what Joey said in the first place, although it depends on perspective. His justification and elaboration of his mindset is what I completely disagree with personally.

So I guess Apple is offering $1,000 to workers to come back to work after being shut down with concerns over Coronavirus.

Foxxcon is still taking necessary precautions to ensure employee safety from the virus.

I see that all of us need new iPhones still.

The great thing is, we can rely on the media to spread fear around the globe. Headline on the CBC website this morning looks like a still from a zombie movie:

italy-coronavirus.JPG

The great thing is, we can rely on the media to spread fear around the globe. Headline on the CBC website this morning looks like a still from a zombie movie:

View attachment 894561

Fear levels are absurd right now. I was just told a story by someone who was pulled off of a plane because she had a stomach cramp and asked to be seated near a bathroom. No cough, no shortness of breath, no fever... deboard the plane miss. They almost didn't let her on any subsequent flights either. Eventually she got rescheduled when she convinced them she did not have coronavirus.

Cleared Customs this morning, nobody taking temperatures, health checks, or in-depth questions about my travel. It was literally, "Have you been to China in the last 2 weeks" & "Have you been around livestock overseas". No & no, cleared back immediately. Granted it was Japan, but they are one of the highest infected countries and right next door to China.

Straw poll for UK members: if you had a holiday booked to Europe next week, would you go without an EHIC card? Is insurance enough?

Straw poll for UK members: if you had a holiday booked to Europe next week, would you go without an EHIC card? Is insurance enough?
The EHIC is free no?
I would go with that. Outbreaks are happening all over Europe now and while I’m personally not worried about dying, I also don’t want to have to worry about potential hospital bills.

Fun fact, I’ve got a christening in Rome happening in a couple of months and the families have postponed it indefinitely as the church is currently closed!

I love my wife but despite the fact that she is very intelligent, she can be a bit gullible at times.

So she sends me a WaPo article about Corona viraus followed quickly after by a preparation guide. So, naturally I couldn't resist...

Me-Ok I am starting the construction of our bunker this weekend

W- Awesome, I like the idea!

Me- Need to check the HOA rules and file for a Builder's permit in King County first. (that'll only take a year, King County, Seattle area, is absolutely abysmal for application processing time )

W- Ok

Me-We will need to pack some non-perishable food like canned goods, fruit snacks, etc.

Me- You should give serious consideration to dusting off your DVD collection of Friends to place it in our bunker. I plan on installing a solar powered connection with battery backup to power and operate a 13" TV/DVD player combo unit (will save space in the bunker). We will need some entertainment since we will have nothing to do

W- Now you are just making fun of it when your were serious about it last night (?) Glad I have a box of masks

....eventually she'll figure it out. It just takes time.

I wonder that gave it away? Was it the...

friends_box_set_dvd-300x224.jpg

Or was it the...

L923507.jpg

Government officials were on TV today, and they warned it was only a matter of time before sustained breakouts are occurring in the US. Thus, mitigation will become the plan of the day rather than containment. We are woefully unprepared. But the good news is vaccines for both prevention and treatment are in work. They may be in human testing within 3 months. But widespread manufacture and use will be over a year away.

Given the market closing today, it seems clear that economic recession is not terribly far away. Supply and demand are both withering. Supply-chain problems including vital pharmaceuticals will very soon become a problem. Only about 30% of the Chinese have gone back to work. This hopefully will rapidly improve, but maybe not - they face major problems. Probably the rest of the world will face unexpected but soon to be clear problems. There will be shortages of fun stuff like Apple iPhones, but maybe also shortages of more serious items like food.

I predict 2020 will be the most interesting year in 100 years, as almost every aspect of civilization will be tested in some way.

Crap, my mom is in Italy right now. Says that **** is no joke.

In the airport, everyone arriving was checked by staff wearing protection clothes. One woman with fever was detained but released shortly after.

This I don't understand, I have seen this several times now, are the tests for this virus that fast?

@Touring Mars
Unfortunately, what you and I may consider a 'proper' test for the virus (i.e. a blood test that can detect specific viruses) is not what is happening in the vast majority of cases here. Rather, screening techniques such as temperature checks etc. (which are non-specific) are being employed and a reliance on people observing recommended containment strategies (like self-isolation) to limit the spread of the virus.

To be fair, it is not feasible to test absolutely everybody with highly accurate, lab-based testing techniques in a timely manner i.e. to do so would require every single person coming in and out of the country to be subjected to a delay depending on how long the test takes... but while sporadic testing might take minutes/hours for a single individual, that corresponds to a wait of days or weeks to test everyone coming through somewhere like Heathrow Airport - hence it is not going to happen that way. So, there's either non-specific testing and ports remain open or... ports will have to close.

Only about 30% of the Chinese have gone back to work. This hopefully will rapidly improve, but maybe not - they face major problems. Probably the rest of the world will face unexpected but soon to be clear problems. There will be shortages of fun stuff like Apple iPhones, but maybe also shortages of more serious items like food.

Foxxcon is incentive 1,000$ for employees to return to work.
Which means if there is any delay with iPhones it may not happen or it'll be very small.
Since we all know that people need their new iPhones.

My in-laws are Chinese and based in China, they have their own business/factory there, they haven't been able to produce anything for what seems like a long time now. Everyone on lockdown, no workers, no one getting paid or any income from the factory...Very stressful for everyone, not good times. Really hope something or anything changes soon, or I really dont know what will happen to my family over there.

Also my kids only great grandparents are in China, so hoping and praying they can stay safe. We were planning on going back to China in April so the kids can see the great/grandparents again, thankfully we didn't book anything..but yeah everything is just worrying all round.

This is also starting to affect my work here in NZ, I'm a estimator in the electrical trade, so many quotes are coming back from my suppliers saying that there will be massive lead times on their products now because of the virus. Not good when I will have almost finished buildings with no light fittings in them.

Almost sick of 2020 already.

I know companies like Co-diagnostics in Utah are developing rapid detection devices for the Corona Virus and others. The CDC has their own test they developed and are using in-house that they will make public soon. The technology to rapidly detect viruses is already here. It just needs to be mass produced and distributed.

US Senators attended a top secret coronavirus briefing this morning in a secure room. It is likely economic impacts were discussed.
https://kiwaradio.com/local-news/gr...briefing-on-coronavirus-its-worldwide-impact/

From the wiki on the 1918 Spanish flu:
To maintain morale, wartime censors minimized early reports of illness and mortality in Germany, the United Kingdom, France, and the United States.

In an effort to minimize panic, hoarding and people not reporting to work, I expect the Trump administration will attempt breathtaking levels of media censorship in addition to other Draconian measures to enforce control of ports of entry. IMHO, medical triage, distribution of medical supplies, food and drugs and numerous other measures may come under Federal scrutiny and control. Trump will spare no effort in order to maintain authority, social order, enforce quarantines and assure his reelection. Something like martial law could take place. Conceivably even the election could be rescheduled or cancelled.

From wiki:
Martial law in the United States refers to several periods in United States history wherein a region or the United States as whole are placed under the control of a military body. On a federal level, only the president has the power to impose martial law. In each state the governor has the right to impose martial law within the borders of the state. In the United States, martial law has been used in a limited number of circumstances, such as directly after a foreign attack, as in Hawaii after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor or New Orleans during the Battle of New Orleans; after major disasters, such as the Great Chicago Fire of 1871 or the San Francisco earthquake of 1906; local leaders declared martial law to protect themselves from mob violence, such as Nauvoo, Illinois, during the Illinois Mormon War, or Utah during the Utah War; or in response to chaos associated with protests and rioting, such as the 1934 West Coast waterfront strike and during the Civil Rights Movement in response to the Cambridge riot of 1963.

The martial law concept in the United States is closely tied with the right of habeas corpus, which is in essence the right to a hearing on lawful imprisonment, or more broadly, the supervision of law enforcement by the judiciary. The ability to suspend habeas corpus is related to the imposition of martial law.[1] Article 1, Section 9 of the US Constitution states, "The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it." There have been many instances of the use of the military within the borders of the United States, such as during the Whiskey Rebellion and in the South during the Civil Rights Movement, but these acts are not tantamount to a declaration of martial law. The distinction must be made as clear as that between martial law and military justice: deployment of troops does not necessarily mean that the civil courts cannot function, and that is one of the keys, as the Supreme Court noted, to martial law.

In United States law, martial law is limited by several court decisions that were handed down between the American Civil War and World War II. In 1878, Congress passed the Posse Comitatus Act, which forbids military involvement in domestic law enforcement without congressional approval.

Throughout United States history are several examples of the imposition of martial law, aside from that during the Civil War.

I know companies like Co-diagnostics in Utah are developing rapid detection devices for the Corona Virus and others. The CDC has their own test they developed and are using in-house that they will make public soon. The technology to rapidly detect viruses is already here. It just needs to be mass produced and distributed.

Co-Diagnostics is a pretty interesting company. I got the press release in my e-mail today that they got their CE Mark for the CORVID-19 test yesterday. That's a big hurdle cleared and I know they're stepping up plans for large scale production as we speak.

I expect the Trump administration will attempt breathtaking levels of media censorship in addition to other Draconian measures to enforce control of ports of entry.

The Trump administration can't legally do this. They will get sued into oblivion over First Amendment violations by any news outlet that they attempt to censor. Even Fox News wouldn't put up with this. As stupid as Trump is about the Constitution, I'm guessing even he understands this. Plus the info will just leak out regardless.

The best thing the Trump administration can do it minimize panic and head off any sensationalized reports with facts and figures. I don't hold out a ton of hope for this because Trump couldn't find facts if they were painted Day-Glo yellow with flashing lights around them while sitting on his desk.

Just curious, but why are you so convinced the world is going to fall apart because of Coronavirus? The world doesn't fall apart every winter when flu season hits and tens of thousands of people die with millions ending up sick and missing school and work in the US alone. Martial law isn't going to happen anytime soon, nor is the government going to suddenly take over everything. It could get to that point in the future, but we're still a really long way away from that.

The WHO, if anyone believes them, seems to think we've seen the peak of the Corona Virus.
Do you have a link for this? I've seen reports that believe China may have peaked but none were from the WHO. I'd like to share your source with a friend who is being over-dramatic on social media with picking and choosing what information to share. He's in his mid-30's with no health issues & doesn't seem to realize he's not at some severe risk of dying as soon as he gets it.

San Francisco has declared a state of emergency. There are no confirmed cases in San Francisco.

Back