COVID-19/Coronavirus Information and Support Thread (see OP for useful links)

• Thread starter baldgye
  • 13,259 comments

I mean I get it, it's not a popular way to make money. I want to retire though and the best way to do that is to invest your money where it can turn into more money. I'm not sure what the European system is like, but here in the US we have social security that the Boomer generation is ruining for everyone under them. The government also wildly misappropriates the money in the social security fund. I fully expect it not to be there when I turn 67 and thus I'm planning now so I don't end up stuck working until the day I die. If that means investing in things I don't agree with, then that's what I'm going to have to do. For example, I am staunchly anti-war but every time the US goes all Team America I invest in defense stocks.

Ideally, I would never invest in pharmaceuticals, defense, natural resources, or marijuana farming, but that's where the money is and I'm going to follow it. When the direct changes, I'll follow suit to keep on building on my wealth up to the magic figure my financial guy set of $2.5 million. I have roughly 35 years to make up more than 90% of that figure, plus save for some sort of post-secondary education for my son.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what drug companies are working on CoV-19 treatments. I feel like that might be a good place to invest if the virus really becomes a worldwide issue. As far as I know, the drug they're using to treat the illness are mostly generics so there's no real investment opportunity there. If someone comes up with a vaccine though, I wouldn't mind riding that wave for a couple of months.
Really hope you don’t have to pay taxes on any of those investments...

On a totally unrelated note, it’s now clear, to me at least as to why your so against social healthcare...

A guy told me on Friday that the WHO has a "cure" for this virus for 3 years. Is this guy nuts or does he know something most of us don't?

I mean I get it, it's not a popular way to make money. I want to retire though and the best way to do that is to invest your money where it can turn into more money. I'm not sure what the European system is like, but here in the US we have social security that the Boomer generation is ruining for everyone under them. The government also wildly misappropriates the money in the social security fund. I fully expect it not to be there when I turn 67 and thus I'm planning now so I don't end up stuck working until the day I die. If that means investing in things I don't agree with, then that's what I'm going to have to do. For example, I am staunchly anti-war but every time the US goes all Team America I invest in defense stocks.

Ideally, I would never invest in pharmaceuticals, defense, natural resources, or marijuana farming, but that's where the money is and I'm going to follow it. When the direct changes, I'll follow suit to keep on building on my wealth up to the magic figure my financial guy set of $2.5 million. I have roughly 35 years to make up more than 90% of that figure, plus save for some sort of post-secondary education for my son.
The boomer generation is ruining social security? Dude your 32. How many years have you worked? I've been working for 40 years and paid enough taxes to fill a battle ship. Yeah guess what,I'm retiring in 2 years at 60 and spending every damn cent I contributed to the pension plan us boomers paid into. Enjoy the stuff us boomers created that you use every day.

The Brexit dream, making money of the misfortune of others, I can’t wait!

The boomer generation is ruining social security? Dude your 32. How many years have you worked? I've been working for 40 years and paid enough taxes to fill a battle ship. Yeah guess what,I'm retiring in 2 years at 60 and spending every damn cent I contributed to the pension plan us boomers paid into. Enjoy the stuff us boomers created that you use every day.
I don't think the people who paid in are the problem. I think it's the fact that it's been expanded to cover everyone over a certain age, regardless of whether they paid in or not (this may or may not have been Joey's point), and of course the re-appropriate of the funds for other things by Congress. Say, what's the average age of those in Congress and the Senate?

I don't think the people who paid in are the problem. I think it's the fact that it's been expanded to cover everyone over a certain age, regardless of whether they paid in or not (this may or may not have been Joey's point), and of course the re-appropriate of the funds for other things by Congress. Say, what's the average age of those in Congress and the Senate?
Yeah blame the boomers. The ones that have paid into it for 40 years or more. Perhaps you should blame the politicians who have turned my pension plan that I paid into for 40 years into the biggest Ponzi scam on the planet. You know the politicians who "work" for 4 years and get a indexed pension for life. I don't know the age of American politicians. I'm Canadian and our PM is pretty young and already increased our debt ten fold. Yeah I get it. Perhaps he can enjoy the next 30 years of work.

Update from ITALY .. 283 cases and 7 deaths (one shouldn't be related to the virus).

IR

Yeah blame the boomers. The ones that have paid into it for 40 years or more. Perhaps you should blame the politicians who have turned my pension plan that I paid into for 40 years into the biggest Ponzi scam on the planet. You know the politicians who "work" for 4 years and get a indexed pension for life. I don't know the age of American politicians. I'm Canadian and our PM is pretty young and already increased our debt ten fold. Yeah I get it. Perhaps he can enjoy the next 30 years of work.

If I'm up to date, there is no known origin of the Italian series of cases. No known connection to Wuhan. But must there be?

If I'm up to date, there is no known origin of the Italian series of cases. No known connection to Wuhan. But must there be?
With an outbreak of this nature, it is all but impossible to trace every single case.

Unfortunately, I think we are already well past the point where monitoring individuals is possible in several countries.

-

On a related note, my 77-y.o. Dad is jetting off to Spain next week... and I'm told he does not have an EHIC card (European health insurance card). Of course, he is not the kind of person to be particularly bothered by minutiae like that (:rolleyes:) and I know that my Mum and sister (who see him much more often than I do) are quite frustrated (and very worried) at his apparent blasé attitude to his safety and well-being in general. I am on the verge of messaging him to ask him if he has sorted his insurance properly.

Of course, typically, nothing will happen and my Dad will return from his holiday and say 'what was all that fuss about?'... but I must admit that I am not comfortable with the thought of him going on holiday without adequate insurance when a virus outbreak could occur in Spain at any time.

On a related note, my 77-y.o. Dad is jetting off to Spain next week... and I'm told he does not have an EHIC card (European health insurance card). Of course, he is not the kind of person to be particularly bothered by minutiae like that (:rolleyes:) and I know that my Mum and sister (who see him much more often than I do) are quite frustrated (and very worried) at his apparent blasé attitude to his safety and well-being in general. I am on the verge of messaging him to ask him if he has sorted his insurance properly.

Of course, typically, nothing will happen and my Dad will return from his holiday and say 'what was all that fuss about?'... but I must admit that I am not comfortable with the thought of him going on holiday without adequate insurance when a virus outbreak could occur in Spain at any time.

Would he even be covered in Spain? I've heard stories that insurance wont cover it if you go to these sorts of nations that are not on 'danger lists' or something of that kind

Would he even be covered in Spain? I've heard stories that insurance wont cover it if you go to these sorts of nations that are not on 'danger lists' or something of that kind
AFAIK, insurance policies can be invalidated if you knowingly travel to a country against FCO advice unless it is deemed as essential.

There is currently no advice against traveling to Spain (and indeed, even travelling to Italy is not advised against) so there is no reason to believe that any insurance he may have would be voided. I don't know what happens, however, if FCO advice were to change while he was away or, worse, if he were to be taken ill.

I think there must be a connection, traceable or not, to Wuhan. For if there is not, then we must face the possibility of multiple independent and unrelated breakouts of this virus on multiple continents.

The Brexit dream, making money of the misfortune of others, I can’t wait!

As I've explained, I invest in things whether I agree with them or not. I'm trying to develop a retirement account and sometimes that means investing in things that go against you're own personal beliefs.

Still, with Coronavirus, it's going to generate money for people regardless of me investing or not. So I might as well attempt to bolster my retirement account if that's an industry that's going to make money. I get it, it's not a popular opinion among some people, but if I want to retire theirs not much of a choice, especially with our politicians ruining the market.

I think there must be a connection, traceable or not, to Wuhan.
Unless it is a different strain of the virus, then there is no evidence to suggest separate outbreaks/it will not be possible to determine whether or not it is 'unconnected'.

The chances of an undetected transfer are, IMO, infinitely higher than the chances of a completely separate outbreak of the same virus in two or more geographically separate regions.

Unless it is a different strain of the virus, then there is no evidence to suggest separate outbreaks/it will not be possible to determine whether or not it is 'unconnected'.

The chances of an undetected transfer are, IMO, infinitely higher than the chances of a completely separate outbreak of the same virus in two or more geographically separate regions.
Does the seasonal flu originate from a singular source? Or is it present in the environment everywhere, hibernating and mutating?

:rolleyes: Right because of course I want Coronavirus to turn into a global pandemic just it make money. I'd rather it not exist in the first place and I'd rather it be something simple to cure. It's not though.

:rolleyes: Right because of course I want Coronavirus to turn into a global pandemic just it make money. I'd rather it not exist in the first place and I'd rather it be something simple to cure. It's not though.
In what respect isn't it already a global pandemic? Simply because WHO in its wisdom has decided not to?

In what respect isn't it already a global pandemic? Simply because WHO in its wisdom has decided not to?

I don't think enough people have been affected yet for it to be a pandemic. It's certainly well on its way but I don't think it's there yet. Going by the WHO levels, I think we're in the pandemic alert period.

Unless of course China is completely lying about everything, which is pretty believable considering they're not exactly trustworthy.

Xi Warns China Can’t Stay On Pause For Much Longer
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2020/02/24/xi-warns-china-cant-stay-on-pause-for-much-longer/

No, what you want and what you've 'advocated for' on this forum is a sustained private health system that you can make bank off 👍

And that's fine, but I chortle at the idea that people with morals are happy to financially benefit of of something that fundamentally goes against their personal belief system... but maybe that's just me /shrug

Xi Warns China Can’t Stay On Pause For Much Longer
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2020/02/24/xi-warns-china-cant-stay-on-pause-for-much-longer/

No, what you want and what you've 'advocated for' on this forum is a sustained private health system that you can make bank off 👍

And that's fine, but I chortle at the idea that people with morals are happy to financially benefit of of something that fundamentally goes against their personal belief system... but maybe that's just me /shrug
I think its even worse than that: its helping to fund things that you morally object to for financial gain. Thats, like... corrupt.

But couldn't it be seen as improving the companies ability to create a cure, by funding it that much more?

Japan warns of rapid coronavirus spread after global market sell-off
https://www.stockwatch.com.cy/en/ar...d-coronavirus-spread-after-global-market-sell

This could have serious implications for Japan and the Olympics. With the first decline in daily infections since the outbreak this could be a turning point, but with Italy exploding with cases, maybe it's just the virus moving and China's lock-down of millions of people... who, could go back to work in the not to distant future...

Latest Posts

Back