Creation vs. Evolution

• Thread starter ledhed
  • 9,687 comments
Aaaand to bump it up again...
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17162341-13762,00.html
THE Vatican has issued a stout defence of Charles Darwin, voicing strong criticism of Christian fundamentalists who reject his theory of evolution and interpret the biblical account of creation literally.
Cardinal Paul Poupard, head of the Pontifical Council for Culture, said the Genesis description of how God created the universe and Darwin's theory of evolution were "perfectly compatible" if the Bible were read correctly.

His statement was a clear attack on creationist campaigners in the US, who see evolution and the Genesis account as mutually exclusive.

"The fundamentalists want to give a scientific meaning to words that had no scientific aim," he said at a Vatican press conference. He said the real message in Genesis was that "the universe didn't make itself and had a creator".

This idea was part of theology, Cardinal Poupard emphasised, while the precise details of how creation and the development of the species came about belonged to a different realm - science. Cardinal Poupard said that it was important for Catholic believers to know how science saw things so as to "understand things better".

His statements were interpreted in Italy as a rejection of the "intelligent design" view, which says the universe is so complex that some higher being must have designed every detail.

emad

THE Vatican has issued a stout defence of Charles Darwin, voicing strong criticism of Christian fundamentalists who reject his theory of evolution and interpret the biblical account of creation literally.
Cardinal Paul Poupard, head of the Pontifical Council for Culture, said the Genesis description of how God created the universe and Darwin's theory of evolution were "perfectly compatible" if the Bible were read correctly.

His statement was a clear attack on creationist campaigners in the US, who see evolution and the Genesis account as mutually exclusive.

"The fundamentalists want to give a scientific meaning to words that had no scientific aim," he said at a Vatican press conference. He said the real message in Genesis was that "the universe didn't make itself and had a creator".

This idea was part of theology, Cardinal Poupard emphasised, while the precise details of how creation and the development of the species came about belonged to a different realm - science. Cardinal Poupard said that it was important for Catholic believers to know how science saw things so as to "understand things better".

His statements were interpreted in Italy as a rejection of the "intelligent design" view, which says the universe is so complex that some higher being must have designed every detail.

:lol: Jeezus, if that doesn't end the debate... who knows what will... It's what I've been telling friends (and the random evangelist... they won't leave me alone... I should shave more often, people think I'm Muslim! :lol: ) for years... the Bible shouldn't be taken as literal!

Oh, wait... are most Fundamentalists stout Roman Catholic? Or are some from Protestant movements? As Protestant movements are reactionary splinter groups opposed to some of the dogma of the Roman Catholic sect, I sincerely doubt it, but you never know.

niky
Oh, wait... are most Fundamentalists stout Roman Catholic?...

No, not at all. The blanket umbrella name most use is "Evangelical Christian". That covers a lot of denominations, but Catholic is not one of them.

There are, of course, some Catholics who take things very literally and are in fact part of the creationist camp, in spite of the official position of The Church.

So the pope is saying that a creator made the universe yet we did evolve from other lifeforms to become what we are today?

James2097
There doesn't seem to be ANYONE who has changed their views, as the whole nature of a belief system is that... its a belief system.

I have.

I dont belive in a creator anymore.

While i do think their is something that we do not know of. Maybe a higher being? but not a creator, that pulls a few strings here and their.

Some things happen we cannot explain. I shouldnt be alive but I am.

Their is something out there, another factor or varible that we do not understand.

I used to belive in God, but after reading a lot of this thread i just cant seem to walk blind anymore. I can not simply belive things with no proof and not be allowed to question it at all, just to make me feel loved and have hope for when i die, that i will live on. How much more conforting is it to belive you will have life after death and this uber powerful being is looking after you.

Religion has great morals and many who belive in it are wonderful happy people, but I can not go around saying i have an open mind if i wont even listen to the blatent facts provided in this thread.

Something is out their we dont know about, what that is i dont know, higher being? maybe. But no creator. Do we live after death? or do we go to another place? who knows. And I'm in no hurry to find out ;).

This thread has been very informative and a real eye opener.

Zardoz
Tough to reconcile, huh?

Now that point of veiw is extremly hard to debate.

1) God always was, then ~10,000 years ago God created the universe and man, and we never evolved like famine says.
2)God has always been, then one day God created the universe and we evolved just like famine says
3) The universe created its self and we evolved just like famine says
4) the universe has always and will always be and we evolved just like famine says

Personally option 4 makes the most sense. Things happen in cycles and always have and always will. Though this goes against all we are, as everything in our life has a beginning a middle and an end. Hard to think that something never started, yet will also never end. It just always is.

Small Fryz
Things happen in cycles and always have and always will. Though this goes against all we are, as everything in our life has a beginning a middle and an end. Hard to think that something never started, yet will also never end. It just always is.
This is a nice way to end the thread. Oh wait, I just posted something. Damn.

If one person (small fryz) has become more evolutionary minded than religious minded, does it mean that the evolutionists have "won" in the context of this debate? :sly:

Small_Fryz
1) God always was, then ~10,000 years ago God created the universe and man, and we never evolved like famine says.
2)God has always been, then one day God created the universe and we evolved just like famine says
3) The universe created its self and we evolved just like famine says
4) the universe has always and will always be and we evolved just like famine says

Personally option 4 makes the most sense. Things happen in cycles and always have and always will. Though this goes against all we are, as everything in our life has a beginning a middle and an end. Hard to think that something never started, yet will also never end. It just always is.

Indeed. I've always felt that it is neverending as well. We are just too stupid to understand it. We always try to measure what what can't be measured, like space. We always try to time what can't be timed. Distance and time can change.

Math and Science usually go together, actually. A problem in one or the other usually reflects on both.

Zardoz
They did it:

Ah, Kansas...

And not a single word about the FSM. It just isn't fair.

...and from the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4419796.stm

I think it is now necessary to expose intelligent design/creation theory to the same level of scrutiny and skepticism as evolution. Kansas has decided that teachers must say that evolution is 'unproven', and yet the theories underlying intelligent design have no basis in scientific fact yet are allowed to go unchallenged because they are a 'matter of faith'. Matters fo faith should not be discussed as part of science class.... by all means discuss it elsewhere, but to actively teach children that ID is a plausible alternative to evolution theory is, in my opinion, plain wrong. Of course there are aspects of evolution theory which remain controversial, and there is plenty of constructive and intelligent debate about those aspects, but generally speaking, the scientific community is overwhelmingly agreed on the fact that evolution theory is a much more plausible explanation for the origin of species than creationism theory. If ID/creation theory is to be taken seriously in science class, then atleast some of the (pseudo)scientific arguments that support it should be strong enough to hold water - but they don't.

If teachers are obliged to say that evolution is 'just a theory' and 'unproven', then they should also be obliged to explain the subject properly, and, more importantly, apply the same level of objectivity to their explanations of intelligent design theory... By skimming over the difficulties with ID/creationism, and failing to explain evolution theory with clarity and accuracy, children in US classrooms are being given a raw deal...

Mars invades..its not all the little chill'un just the ones in the boonys with the bible thumpers . Still going backwards is a trip..I always thought you were supposed to move forward with education and science not go back to the time of Aristotle...ummm wait that would be good for Kansas ...they are back in the witch burning days. Some crazy stuff going on .

If they do include ID in the curriculum, it should be systematic. The history of intelligent design, ancient theories of ID as well as all relevant viewpoints of ID...

The Intelligent Design Curriculum

I. History of Intelligent Design

Defunct Theories of Intelligent Design: Babylonian, Egyptian, Incan, Greek, American Native, Polynesian/Asian? (as these cultural groups now prescribe to more modern religions) etc... creation myths, their origins and folklore associated with.

II. Current Intelligent Design Theories

Buddhist, Hindu, Judeo-Christian/Muslim, Shinto(?), their scope and current practicioners/supporters. Historical sources and similarities, etc.

III. Modern/Postmodern Theories

FSM, Aliens, unspecified, etc.

IV. Scientific Proofs/Supports for all/any ID Theories

I have no idea what we'd put here. Probably philosophical discussion of ID.

If the Kansas board really did approve ID for the classroom, I'd be disappointed if they didn't implement a curriculum like this.

niky
If the Kansas board really did approve ID for the classroom, I'd be disappointed if they didn't implement a curriculum like this.
Prepare to be disappointed.

niky
I know. :(

Know any good Hindu lobbying groups in Kansas? 💡
LOL, we could get every religious story regarding the dawn of time in schools!

Australian indigenous "Dream Time" with huge "rainbow serpent" snakes that weave around and create all the land and animals anyone?

James2097
...Australian indigenous "Dream Time" with huge "rainbow serpent" snakes that weave around and create all the land and animals anyone?

Makes absolutely as much sense as the crap they'll be exposing kids to at the "Creationist Museum" when it opens.

^^ They just voted on something right? Are they gone then? Does this undo all of their crap or is ID still being taught?

This is the PA. case . Its fallout from the Harrisburg case ...they threw the bums out .

DOVER, Pa. - Voters came down hard Tuesday on school board members who backed a statement on intelligent design being read in biology class, ousting eight Republicans and replacing them with Democrats who want the concept stripped from the science curriculum

Note the part that says DOVER , Pa. ...Kansas is further to the right .

ledhed
This is the PA. case . Its fallout from the Harrisburg case ...they threw the bums out...Note the part that says DOVER , Pa. ...Kansas is further to the right .

Doh! Didn't realize I typed in "Kansas". Brain fade!!!

Corrected the post. Sorry.

niky
Aww... ****! I'm glad I don't live in Kansas....

And it's now unfortunate that I do. :( Just because someone doesn't agree with a theory doesn't mean it can't be taught. Granted, I know some schools will still teach evolution, but it won't be tested.
This imbecile schoolboard president has got to go. He wasn't even involved in education, and he got the job. The problem of the schoolboard can be solved with a little thermite... :dopey:

We are too far right, in this case. I might have to go to Missouri. (nah, our roads are 100 times better)

James2097
LOL, we could get every religious story regarding the dawn of time in schools!

Australian indigenous "Dream Time" with huge "rainbow serpent" snakes that weave around and create all the land and animals anyone?

Yeah, really. I mean, it's only fair, right?

Zardoz
They did it:

Ah, Kansas...

And not a single word about the FSM. It just isn't fair.

Wow. This is pretty ****ing unreal, I can't say that I'm surprised, though.

CNN.com
Supporters of the standards said they will promote academic freedom. "It gets rid of a lot of dogma that's being taught in the classroom today," said board member John Bacon, an Olathe Republican.

Hahaha.

Zardoz
Nice find Wizard Oz 👍

article
"My kids believe in God. I believe in God. But I don’t think it belongs in the science curriculum the way the school district is presenting it,”

My thoughts exactly (except I don't have kids... or believe in God...)... but for those who do, I think it's important to make the distinction between science and non-science. This woman (quoted in the article) clearly appreciates the importance of keeping religious dogma out of science class. Teaching intelligent design in science class because it is an 'equal and opposing theory to counterbalance evolution theory' is a bit like telling kids to eat supersized Big Macs in gym class as an equal and opposing counterbalance to staying fit and healthy...

Back