Creation vs. Evolution

• Thread starter ledhed
  • 9,687 comments
No, that is not what I was trying to say there Dan. What I am saying is the "facts" of science change with the times. 100 years from now science might conclude the world is nothing more than an illusion of dimensional interactions and overlaps. We don't know as much as we claim to know. Thats all I am saying.

No, that is not what I was trying to say there Dan. What I am saying is the "facts" of science change with the times. 100 years from now science might conclude the world is nothing more than an illusion of dimensional interactions and overlaps. We don't know as much as we claim to know. Thats all I am saying.

Maybe so but one thing that ive noticed over history is, as our knowlegde and science methods increase/get better the less stable "creation" becomes and the more stable "evolution" becomes. 100 years from now we could have the entire evolution theory proved beyond reasonable doubt. Science has disproved many religions in the past so why should it stop now?

Do you still belive a guy in a chariet makes the sun come up in the morning? Just because they couldnt explain it back then they said "god did it", just the same with the issue to do with the origin of mankind now. Because we cant prove it, people automatically jump to "god did it". So many things you can list that have once been thought of "supernatural" but have had proper explinations once our understanding and knowledge improved.

No, that is not what I was trying to say there Dan. What I am saying is the "facts" of science change with the times. 100 years from now science might conclude the world is nothing more than an illusion of dimensional interactions and overlaps.

I'm not going to disagree with that.

But i already had sin in me when i made that decision. I wasnt facing eternal life with a naked chic or dieing and causing my entire human race to be doomed.

For the record, ive turned down smoking cigarettes, smoking pot, being a hoon, hopping in cars with friends and many other "temptations" simply because i had teh ability to see the concsequences and decide it was not worth it. Sometimes ive made the wrong choice yet willing to deal with the consequences because i wanted to "experience" it. eg.. the 1st time i got drunk.. was the wrong decision but i was willing to do any punishment i would get if i got caught. (for the record i didnt get caught)

Thank you for proving my point.

Thank you for proving my point.

Indeed, but i for me the consequences play a major role in my decision making. I highly doubt i would indeed eat the apple since the concequences would be very bad.

Anyway adam couldnt possible grasp the full extent of the concequences from the apple since he never had the knowledge to understood them properly until after he ate it.

Correct?

Indeed, but i for me the consequences play a major role in my decision making. I highly doubt i would indeed eat the apple since the concequences would be very bad.

Anyway adam couldnt possible grasp the full extent of the concequences from the apple since he never had the knowledge to understood them properly until after he ate it.

Correct?

Do you grasp the full extent of the consequences the FIRST time you did something wrong?

There was not death in the garden BEFORE Adam sinned. He didn't comprehend death much like you don't fully comprehend how the consequences will effect the rest of your life.

So... seriously... I didn't smoke pot. So maybe I wouldn't have eaten the apple.

The only woman, excuse me, the only naked woman on the planet was telling you to eat the apple and you wouldn't do it? Some how I doubt it. ;)

I'm not going to disagree with that.

Thank you. That was what I was trying to say all along.

So the follow up I have to this is that right now Evolution is strongly supported by the current evidence we have. It is a great explanation no doubt (I strongly believed it till just a year ago) but the fact is it has the potentiol to be wrong. Something could come up later that tosses a wrench into the whole theory, which could lead to redoing this or that. Stuff like that has happened with other theories before, just look at theories regarding how electromagnetic radiation works.

Thank you. That was what I was trying to say all along.

So the follow up I have to this is that right now Evolution is strongly supported by the current evidence we have. It is a great explanation no doubt (I strongly believed it till just a year ago) but the fact is it has the potentiol to be wrong. Something could come up later that tosses a wrench into the whole theory, which could lead to redoing this or that. Stuff like that has happened with other theories before, just look at theories regarding how electromagnetic radiation works.
So the best response to incomplete scientific information (no matter how well supported) is to simply chuck the whole system out the window in favor of something that is static, unchanging, and conveniently defined as unknowable?

Nope, I never said chuck it out. I use it myself quite a bit in physics and engineering. Would make life kinda difficult if I did chuck it.

What I am saying is don't put all you chips in one thing.

My view, being religious, is that science is missing something as of yet, or mis connected something. And don't say science has never done that before.

On the other hand, those that believe in evolution are waiting for more pieces to fit into the puzzle. But if some pieces don't fit in, they try to write them off as freak incidents and such.

And when I say evolution, I mean macro evolution.

Good discussion today, guys. 👍

I wanted to share my take on the sub-topic Fryz brought up.

First of all, I wouldn't have touched the apple, but you know what they say about the hindsight. :D
But god made us with the desire to go against his word so strong.

The way we make decisions effects what we choose. God could have simply altered our reasoning and the way we make decisions so that we would indeed realise how stupid this was to do and thus, not choose it. On our own free will.
I understand how you feel. However, way I look at it, we are either free, or we aren't. If God is going to program our behavior, how we think, we are not completely free. I'm not saying that Bible is truth or anything like that, but according to the book, every unfortunate events that we experienced are the results of our doing. God created us, but he isn't the one that made us eat the apple(IMO, of course, this is arguable), deal with diseases, murderers, etc.
Then shouldn't we all have the choice of wether to eat the apple or not? Doesnt seem proper to let the action of 1 wreck the entire human race..
We kind of do. Just not exactly the same. As you've stated, we are all born with sin that carried over from Adam and Eve, supposedly. Because of this, we are not "perfect" like Jesus, Adam or Eve. My personal belief here is that we are not held to the high standard of Adam, since us, our society, are not perfect like Adam and the Garden of Eden. God expects us to do our best to lead good, clean life, but at the same time, he won't doom us for smaller mistakes we make in our lives.

That's just my take on that. :)

We kind of do. Just not exactly the same. As you've stated, we are all born with sin that carried over from Adam and Eve, supposedly. Because of this, we are not "perfect" like Jesus, Adam or Eve. My personal belief here is that we are not held to the high standard of Adam, since us, our society, are not perfect like Adam and the Garden of Eden. God expects us to do our best to lead good, clean life, but at the same time, he won't doom us for smaller mistakes we make in our lives.

That's just my take on that. :)

This depends on your denomination. My belief with the LDS Church is that man is free from Adam's transgression, as you are accountable for your own actions, not anothers. In this way, every man is responsible for his own sins, but not Adam's. So that to me the idea of orginal sin from Adam is incorrect.

But that again is my belief with the LDS Church, which is not as mainstream as say, the Catholics.

This depends on your denomination. My belief with the LDS Church is that man is free from Adam's transgression, as you are accountable for your own actions, not anothers. In this way, every man is responsible for his own sins, but not Adam's. So that to me the idea of orginal sin from Adam is incorrect.

But that again is my belief with the LDS Church, which is not as mainstream as say, the Catholics.

Like I said, that was "my" take.

I'm not saying that we will be punished for Adam's sin. It just made us imperfect(we get sick, we don't walk around naked, etc., etc.). Also, what I believe is required of us sounds just like your belief.

I don't belong in any churches, so I can respect most interpretation of the Bible. Basically, I belive that if you are good, I don't think God will turn you away for which Church you were with, or not with. Just like with countries or races, there are good and bad in every Churches, or religion. Of course, many Christians will not agree with this.

Can ask a question? Where did this thing about Adam eating an apple come from? In the Bible it just says fruit of the tree but it doesn't say what kind of fruit. Anyway let me throw this out here: Has anybody read Darwin's Black Box? or Rare Earth? Darwin's Black Box explains how at the level of mcirobiology macro evolution just doesn't hold up. Also doesn't evolution violate the Law o Entropy(3rd Law of Thermodynamics)? Doesn't it state systems go from ordered to disordered? Correct me if I'm wrong. Also I have taken time to go through all 200 pages.

kjb
Anyway let me throw this out here: Has anybody read Darwin's Black Box? or Rare Earth? Darwin's Black Box explains how at the level of mcirobiology macro evolution just doesn't hold up.
I have Behe's book, and have read most of it, but quite simply he is wrong. His concept of 'irreducible complexity' and his (in)famous example of bacterial flagellum being 'irreducibly complex' has been thoroughly shot to pieces - not just by his critics, but in a US Federal Court... Behe's assertion was that this organelle is 'irreducibly complex' - that it could not work without all of it's constituent parts all being present, and that those constituent parts don't work without all the other parts. That's simply not true, and even Behe now concedes that he made a collossal mistake by saying that. The fact that the subunits that make up the whole organelle are individually functional in a myriad of other organelles is just the tip of the iceberg. For a proper critique of Behe's work, try reading some of Richard Dawkins' work or Niall Shanks' 'God, The Devil and Darwin'

On a more general note, Behe doesn't explain how evolution doesn't hold up. He merely 'explains' that he cannot see how it's possible or how it works. He goes out of his way to show how 'this can't be so' but then offers no better alternative explanation than 'it must have been Intelligently Designed'... :rolleyes: Atleast Behe has made a genuine attempt, albeit slightly biased by his Creationist leanings, to address some of the problems with evolution theory at the molecular level, but some of his scientific shortcomings (and plain errors) are really shocking. This is why scientists typically do not convey their science through the medium of the popular press - basically because in a book, you can say whatever you like without the all-important process of peer-review. At best, Behe's book should be read with this firmly in mind - at worst, it should probably be best forgotten.

kjb
Also doesn't evolution violate the Law o Entropy(3rd Law of Thermodynamics)? Doesn't it state systems go from ordered to disordered? Correct me if I'm wrong. Also I have taken time to go through all 200 pages.

No, it doesn't violate the Third Law of Thermodynamics... there are plenty other examples of 'order arising from disorder' which also do not violate the TLOT - because we're not talking about closed systems. Whenever energy can be put into a system, we have an open system - some everyday examples of order arising from disorder are: Hurricanes - they draw energy from the sea and a 'complex' system is created where one did not previously exist. Amyloid fibril formation in Alzheimer's Disease - random, unstructured sections of soluble protein (peptides) which self-assemble to form highly ordered, insoluble fibres in the brain (the hallmark of Alzheimer's). The formation of a baby from an embryo - again, this wouldn't be 'possible' according to someone who misunderstood the TLOT in the same way as it has been applied to evolution. Crystallisation - crystals form from the self-assembly of molecules, which provide a template for further self-assembly. All these processes require energy input from their environments - in a more abstract way, so does evolution. The contention that 'order cannot arise from disorder because it violates the third law of thermodynamics' is incorrect.

No-one has ever said that hurricane formation is 'impossible' because, clearly, it isn't impossible. It does happen somehow, we just took a while figuring out exactly how it does happen. Similarly, the contention that evolution is impossible is incorrect, especially given that the basis for it's so-called impossibility is completely wrong.

kjb
Can ask a question? Where did this thing about Adam eating an apple come from? In the Bible it just says fruit of the tree but it doesn't say what kind of fruit.
I'll leave that one for the experts... ;)

I have Behe's book, and have read most of it, but quite simply he is wrong. His concept of 'irreducible complexity' and his (in)famous example of bacterial flagellum being 'irreducibly complex' has been thoroughly shot to pieces - not just by his critics, but in a US Federal Court... Behe's assertion was that this organelle is 'irreducibly complex' - that it could not work without all of it's constituent parts all being present, and that those constituent parts don't work without all the other parts. That's simply not true, and even Behe now concedes that he made a collossal mistake by saying that. The fact that the subunits that make up the whole organelle are individually functional in a myriad of other organelles is just the tip of the iceberg. For a proper critique of Behe's work, try reading some of Richard Dawkins' work or Niall Shanks' 'God, The Devil and Darwin'

On a more general note, Behe doesn't explain how evolution doesn't hold up. He merely 'explains' that he cannot see how it's possible or how it works. He goes out of his way to show how 'this can't be so' but then offers no better alternative explanation than 'it must have been Intelligently Designed'... :rolleyes: Atleast Behe has made a genuine attempt, albeit slightly biased by his Creationist leanings, to address some of the problems with evolution theory at the molecular level, but some of his scientific shortcomings (and plain errors) are really shocking. This is why scientists typically do not convey their science through the medium of the popular press - basically because in a book, you can say whatever you like without the all-important process of peer-review. At best, Behe's book should be read with this firmly in mind - at worst, it should probably be best forgotten.

No, it doesn't violate the Third Law of Thermodynamics... there are plenty other examples of 'order arising from disorder' which also do not violate the TLOT - because we're not talking about closed systems. Whenever energy can be put into a system, we have an open system - some everyday examples of order arising from disorder are: Hurricanes - they draw energy from the sea and a 'complex' system is created where one did not previously exist. Amyloid fibril formation in Alzheimer's Disease - random, unstructured sections of soluble protein (peptides) which self-assemble to form highly ordered, insoluble fibres in the brain (the hallmark of Alzheimer's). The formation of a baby from an embryo - again, this wouldn't be 'possible' according to someone who misunderstood the TLOT in the same way as it has been applied to evolution. Crystallisation - crystals form from the self-assembly of molecules, which provide a template for further self-assembly. All these processes require energy input from their environments - in a more abstract way, so does evolution. The contention that 'order cannot arise from disorder because it violates the third law of thermodynamics' is incorrect.

No-one has ever said that hurricane formation is 'impossible' because, clearly, it isn't impossible. It does happen somehow, we just took a while figuring out exactly how it does happen. Similarly, the contention that evolution is impossible is incorrect, especially given that the basis for it's so-called impossibility is completely wrong.

I'll leave that one for the experts... ;)

Well thank you for pointing that out for me. I need to do better research :dopey: Anyway I have read some of Richard Dawkins critiques on on creationism. Interesting to say the least. When did Behe admit to making a mistake? Have you read the Case for the Creator by Hank Stroebel(sp?)? It is a good read. Also there is a book I read I think it called God and Science? where the author uses the theory of relativity to prove the world was created in six days and 15 billiion years. It is very interesting book.

kjb
Well thank you for pointing that out for me. I need to do better research :dopey: Anyway I have read some of Richard Dawkins critiques on on creationism. Interesting to say the least. When did Behe admit to making a mistake?
No probs - it's ironic, because I actually 'found' Behe's book in my old office (which is now occupied by an evolutionary biologist!), and read it quite some time before I really got into the Intelligent Design debate... Behe was pretty much forced to concede that he had made mistakes in his testimony in the 'Dover' trial - pertinent points here. His only really big mistake was to circumvent and/or ignore the (peer-reviewed) literature. No amount of eloquence or skill (which Behe undoubtedly has in spades) is substitute for the rigour of peer-review.

kjb
Have you read the Case for the Creator by Hank Stroebel(sp?)? It is a good read. Also there is a book I read I think it called God and Science? where the author uses the theory of relativity to prove the world was created in six days and 15 billiion years. It is very interesting book.
Sounds it, I'll see if I can get my hands on it. From what I've seen in the few books I have read on the subject, I tend to put more stock in books that offer an explanation rather than books that do the opposite, which is to say that there is no explanation and that our true origins will always remain mysterious. There is something deeply unsatisfying about being told that 'we'll never know' or that 'we already know the answer, and that answer is God'... that said, I'd be genuinely interested to read a really well written and well-reasoned book that properly challenges evolution. Funny thing is, however, they are pretty hard to find.

I can understand what you are saying. I have read a few books about about Intelligent Design but I have found most of them lacking. There is a another book I've read by to astronomers can't remember the name right now but I have it written down somewhere but anywhere it argues for creation from a teological (Sp?) view. Their contention is that the Universe has been fine tuned for our existence. It is the same contention that is made in Rare Earth ( which ironically is from an evolutionist point of view) but I recommend reading both books. When I find the name of the other book I will post it.

kjb
I can understand what you are saying. I have read a few books about about Intelligent Design but I have found most of them lacking. There is a another book I've read by to astronomers can't remember the name right now but I have it written down somewhere but anywhere it argues for creation from a teological (Sp?) view. Their contention is that the Universe has been fine tuned for our existence. It is the same contention that is made in Rare Earth ( which ironically is from an evolutionist point of view) but I recommend reading both books. When I find the name of the other book I will post it.
Cool, please do 👍

I'm reading a book at the moment called 'The Goldilocks Enigma: Why Is The Universe Just Right For Life?' by Paul Davies - which, amongst other things, is about the so-called 'anthropic coincidences' (which are also discussed in the book by Niall Shanks I mentioned earlier...) It is really interesting stuff, and I always thought that these anthropic coincidences were a far more compelling argument for design than any misguided attack on evolution ever was or ever could be...

kjb
Can ask a question? Where did this thing about Adam eating an apple come from? In the Bible it just says fruit of the tree but it doesn't say what kind of fruit.

Same place as the animals going in two-by-two (hurrah! hurrah!) comes from.

Good morning (afternoon and evening to others).... Yep, no "apple"..., no 2x2, and no Christmas tree in the bible.

kjb
Their contention is that the Universe has been fine tuned for our existence.

The universe has not been fine tuned for our existence. We arose on one of the very few rocks (percentage-wise) that's suitable for life. There are countless others that are not suitable for life. However, given the size of the universe and the number of rocks, it was practically inevitable that life would arise on one of them - that's us. We then named our rock.

In general, we're suited to our environment, not the other way around.

Also, thanks TM for explaining why order from chaos does not violate the first law of thermodynamics. That's a particularly irritating argument having taken thermo and seeing it misused so blatantly.

I found the name of the book. It is called Priveleged Planet by Guillermo Gonzalez and another author. Rare Earth is by Peter Ward. Also in Privileged Planet the authors contend that the earth was designed with observation of the cosmos in mind. Danoff you might try reading these books also. It probably won't change your mind but maybe they will give you something to think about.

The universe has not been fine tuned for our existence. We arose on one of the very few rocks (percentage-wise) that's suitable for life. There are countless others that are not suitable for life. However, given the size of the universe and the number of rocks, it was practically inevitable that life would arise on one of them - that's us. We then named our rock.

In general, we're suited to our environment, not the other way around.

Maybe God was just looking around the universe for the right planet. He thought that the blue one over there looks like a good place to start my experiments.

kjb
Also in Privileged Planet the authors contend that the earth was designed with observation of the cosmos in mind.
If the Earth was designed for observation of the cosmos, we wouldn't need the Hubble space telescope, let alone the next several generations that will replace it.

Short of living under the surface like Morlocks or with perpetual cloudcover like Venus, I'd be hard put to say how it could be harder to accurately observe the cosmos than from the platform of Earth.

Back