Creation vs. Evolution

• Thread starter ledhed
  • 9,687 comments
danoff
No, it's meant to say that science and religion will arrive at the same point down the line - which is gratefying to religion isn't it? Since it means the the religious got it right a long time before science did. It's awfully presumptive, since it assumes that both sides are correct. It also admits that the person who wrote that was not a scientist, or they would not have said that it is "too young to comprehend".

I restate my question, what kind of a background to you have in science to support a claim such as this?

(The message here is that you should not make such statements about things you don't understand... and neither should anyone on my side of the fence)

What statement that I made are you talking about?

PS
The way I see it, is that Creationists are expecting all the evidence in the world for Evolution, and Evolutionists getting irritated with having their facts thrown back at them and ignored.

And we're sick of the beyond redundant Noah's ark questions. But hey, who's counting.

We could really have a great discussion if people, incuding those on my side, would get their egos out of the way and just talk.

Why not believe in God? Why not want to believe? Why fight it? Why want to believe in and search for space aliens who could care less about you, but not search for or believe in a personal creator who does care about you?

For all who want to know about God, do this.

Honestly, sincerely pray to him, about whatever. Ask him to prove he is there. Ask anything. Just do so genuinely. You wont be dissapointed

PS
Prove it.

Not worth replying to

Earth
Why not believe in God? Why not want to believe? Why fight it?

I want to believe.

I do.

I wish I could believe in God. It's such a comforting notion. There is so much mental benefit to believing in God... but I can't. The fact that it is soothing to the mind, that it is comforting, makes it all the more likely that it is made up.

I don't fight it any more than I fight any other claim. It's just that I couldn't bring myself to believe it. Honestly, if I thought it was even likely to be true I would be there in a heartbeat. It would just be too good to pass up. Eternal life in bliss with your loved ones.... wow... who would pass that up? I really wish that were true... but it just sounds about as made up as can be. And the story doesn't check out.

Earth
Why not believe in God? Why not want to believe? Why fight it? Why want to believe in and search for space aliens who could care less about you, but not search for or believe in a personal creator who does care about you?

Honestly, sincerely pray to him, about whatever. Ask him to prove he is there. Ask anything. Just do so genuinely. You wont be dissapointed

Because I have no reason to. He has not shown his existence. Nothing in the Bible has been proven. Much of the Bible is hypocrisy. And besides, why believe in God when you can accept Evolution as truth? Why want to believe in and search for a God that could care less about you, but not search for or try to find the actual answers to the Universe? HMM?

Your post has completely disregarded 100% of the proof presented in this thread, and I fear I may no longer be able to consider your opinion credible if you keep looking at things from one side.

Earth

I tried to do that when I was bullied in elementary school. No one answered my prayers. I prayed for snow at Christmas. No one answered my prayers. I prayed that they wouldn't build an apartment building in front of mine. No one answered my prayers.

Grand Prix
I tried to do that when I was bullied in elementary school. No one answered my prayers. I prayed for snow at Christmas. No one answered my prayers. I prayed that they wouldn't build an apartment building in front of mine. No one answered my prayers.

You live Vancouver, what do you expect? :lol:

danoff
I want to believe.

I do.

I wish I could believe in God. It's such a comforting notion. There is so much mental benefit to believing in God... but I can't. The fact that it is soothing to the mind, that it is comforting, makes it all the more likely that it is made up.

I don't fight it any more than I fight any other claim. It's just that I couldn't bring myself to believe it. Honestly, if I thought it was even likely to be true I would be there in a heartbeat. It would just be too good to pass up. Eternal life in bliss with your loved ones.... wow... who would pass that up? I really wish that were true... but it just sounds about as made up as can be. And the story doesn't check out.

Why exactly do you not believe?

PS
He has not shown his existence.

God doesnt come to you. You must come to him.

"Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you"
-James 4:8

Who said God doesnt care about you? And I'm not the only one with a onesided opinion. Not fair to single me out.

Earth
"Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you"
-James 4:8

Who said God doesnt care about you? And I'm not the only one with a onesided opinion. Not fair to single me out.

That's just dandy. Now respond to the rest of my question.

Earth

Why should anyone ever bother to look for truths when lies are more comforting?

Because they're lies!

danoff
Not so much a statement you made, but your support of the quote that you posted.

So you're saying I'm not qualified to be self thinking and form the supported opinion that I did about that quote? Perhaps this should be in another thread on how everyone is entitled to your way of thinking in order to form opinions as long as it's your way of thinking to form the same opinion as yours?

Let me say it again, you took the quote the wrong way, but believe what you want...we're all entitled to that.

You know what, maybe your right. My personal weakness is to sometimes see things as they fit my world and how I perceive it. I heard a quote that I thought fit into everyone's beliefs here. Judging from the reaction of the evolution supporters here, I was most likely wrong.

PS
And besides, why believe in God when you can accept Evolution as truth? Why want to believe in and search for a God that could care less about you, but not search for or try to find the actual answers to the Universe? HMM?

You can accept evolution as truth. Thats your choice.

I believe in God, and that doesnt hold me back from thinking about and trying to understand the mysteries of the universe.

Famine
Why should anyone ever bother to look for truths when lies are more comforting?

Because they're lies!

If you think it's lies, than thats fine, it's your choice. Just remember, though, that God will always be there, and if you want to draw close to him, he will draw close to you.

Pako
So you're saying I'm not qualified to be self thinking and form the supported opinion that I did about that quote? Perhaps this should be in another thread on how everyone is entitled to your way of thinking in order to form opinions as long as it's your way of thinking to form the same opinion as yours?

Let me say it again, you took the quote the wrong way, but believe what you want...we're all entitled to that.

You know what, maybe your right. My personal weakness is to sometimes see things as they fit my world and how I perceive it. I heard a quote that I thought fit into everyone's beliefs here. Judging from the reaction of the evolution supporters here, I was most likely wrong.

It's ok. We were pretty hard on you. I apologize if I took it the wrong way, but what part did I get wrong?

Why exactly do you not believe?

Because the story doesn't check out. I'd have to THROW AWAY knowledge that we've accumulated to be able to swallow the bible. Plus, it reeks of human influence and social engineering.

danoff
Because the story doesn't check out. I'd have to THROW AWAY knowledge that we've accumulated to be able to swallow the bible. Plus, it reeks of human influence and social engineering.

You dont believe the miracles in the Bible?

danoff
...but something has to validate Jesus.

Something has to validate everything in the Bible, as far as I'm concerned.

Plus, with Swift dismissing the accounts of Genesis, I don't even see why I should take the bible seriously at all.

See? Hypocrisy.

Earth
You dont believe the miracles in the Bible?

If danoff had typed this, I'd be laughing myself silly.

But your version just makes me sad.

Grand Prix

If you were God, how would you answer those prayers?

Gees Earth I don’t know what to say to this! Sure parts of it are pure drivel but if you pull those out here is what you get:

Earth
You can accept evolution as truth. Thats your choice.
Yes, very true and I agree. It is the freedom of choice, right or wrong, good or evil, Evolution or Creation, and all other dichotomies not covered above.

Earth
I believe in God, and that doesnt hold me back from thinking about and trying to understand the mysteries of the universe.
Excellent, belief in a deity or not the feelings and thoughts expressed in this thread belong to each of us. Attempting to see it from another view does not mean having to agree; however, it certainly does mean taking a step forward to see another point of view. For some reason this step, more often than not, seems to be the hardest for most people.

Earth
If you think it's lies, than thats fine, it's your choice. Just remember, though, that God will always be there, and if you want to draw close to him, he will draw close to you.
I think that there have been plenty of us who have turned to religion and plenty more that have turned away. There have been many, many more who have stepped back and forth. The purity in this statement is that if you wish to believe (and not just in a deity) all you have to do is “draw close” and it “will draw close to you.” Simplistically said but oddly enough true, belief in anything is a matter of drawing close [accepting] that belief.

I think this thread shows how Evolution and Creationism have become dichotomies of a sort. This is truly sad since that is not how they should be. One is faith in science the other faith in a belief.

This is just my perspective, trying to look at this in the light of my training. Still I hope a few others can take a step back and appreciate this for what it is worth, a pure opinion [Earth’s] of a strong belief.

Earth

Then BANG you have to go and post something stupid!

You are going to answer the man with a question? Haven’t you picked up anything said here? Why does he have to answer your question to get another question? That is like a four year olds thinking!

Boy: Daddy why is the car red?
Dad: That is the color they painted it when it was made.
Boy: Daddy why is the hood red?
Dad: That is the color they painted it when it was made.
Boy: Daddy why is door red?

Earth stop now please!

If I pray to God hard enough I wonder if he will smite you!

DadtheWheel
You are going to answer the man with a question? Haven’t you picked up anything said here? Why does he have to answer your question to get another question?

First, my recent post was the first 'question'. I asked him to pray, he gave instances when his prayers weren't answered, than I asked him a question.

I did not reply to a question. He didnt reply to a question of mine.

Second, questions make people think. Illustrations make people think. If these are used wisely, they can be very powerful speech/conversation tools. Instead of me giving a dogmatic reply I would rather let him figure out on his own why his prayers weren't answered. That way his final conclusion is of his own origin, not mine.

Earth

Who knows? God is eternal, all-powerful, and everywhere. He could think up an infinete number of solutions. Let us not forget, that God has the ability to run faster than God, for He is all-powerful (which is impossible for us to comprehend; how can anything be greater than infinity?). Answering prayers for me (or anyone else for that matter) would be easier than easy. Now, of course He may have answered through my own actions, seeing as He knows my past, present, and future. It didn't happen. The in-crowd still treats me like garbage, Vancouver hasn't had a white Christmas in twenty years, and there is still a high-rise in front of my apartment. The first example is my responsibilty, but the latter two are beyond my control.

If you claim that God has answered ALL of your prayers (which I know you'll say that He hasn't), then perhaps you have filled in the blanks for yourself, eh? A few coincidences and conspiracy theories can explain anything. It's part of human nature. Without those traits the importance of past mistakes would never be fully appreciated.

If you find that praying helps you solve your problems then that's all well and good. A little bit of confidence from a 'higher being' can help in problem solving. However, I try to solve them on my own. Whether God is helping me, or not.

Grand Prix
"There is a scientific explanation for everything" - Kyle from 'South Park'

That was specifically addressed toward psychic events. So I wouldn't apply that particular statement.

the_undrtaker89
science...is the religion...of scientists.

Actually, I would say that passion is the religion of scientists. It takes a passionate person to put that kind of work and effort into something like evolution, DNA, Cancer, Aids, etc.

Back