Creation vs. Evolution

• Thread starter ledhed
  • 9,687 comments
Swift
LOL, ok. right. So, you come up with answers to questions. And you KNOW that isn't an outside force giving you that thought?

If you define yourself as the thinker of your thoughts - you don't have to worry about that.

Swift are you saying that when you think of a question, when you finally get an answer, you think it's God giving you that answer?

EDIT

Thanks for clearing up that Moses question, it's a busy thread so I understand 👍

danoff
If you define yourself as the thinker of your thoughts - you don't have to worry about that.

I knew you were going to say that. :dopey: But that still doesn't mean that thoughts and ideas can't come from an outside source.

Swift are you saying that when you think of a question, when you finally get an answer, you think it's God giving you that answer?

Nope, not everytime. But for me to assume that I have the capcity to answer every question from the power of my own knowledge and wisdom is rather proud.

I just find it funny that people call a religious experience a mental problem and a rock concert normal. :dunce:

EDIT

Thanks for clearing up that Moses question, it's a busy thread so I understand

No problem mang! :)

JacktheHat
Are you saying that rock musicians don't exist?

No, I'm saying that when a musician gets "inspiration" for a song, that's ok. When a person gets "inspiration" for something to do in their life or a new direction, it's called schizophrenia.

Swift
No, I'm saying that when a musician gets "inspiration" for a song, that's ok. When a person gets "inspiration" for something to do in their life or a new direction, it's called schizophrenia.

Only if they thought a seperate entity, such as 'God', was providing it.

Well swift I guess me and you ask different questions to ourselves. If I asked myself a question like "Hey self, what is 2x4+66-23(3028-40938) = ?" I sure wouldn't know the answer off the bat, I would either have to figure it out my solving the question, researching and finding my answer, or etc. Now if something just popped into my head and said "Hey, the answer is 871930!", then I'd say to myself, "Holy crap! How did I know that!?", then I'd think someone was feeding me the answers.

Now If I ask myself, "Hey, where are my car keys?", I'd keep thinking about it until I thought of something or saw something that would remind me where I had left them. I would then realize, "Oh yea! I left them on the table!". I wouldn't then think someone told me that. I would have came to a realization, or a conclusion, of where I left my keys.

Swift
I knew you were going to say that. :dopey: But that still doesn't mean that thoughts and ideas can't come from an outside source.

Actually, it does. It means that you've defined yourself as the thinker of your thoughts - which means regardless of the source, it isn't outside... it's you.

JacktheHat
Only if they thought a seperate entity, such as 'God', was providing it.

It's the SAME thing. Exactly. Someone rights an incredible song and everyone things it's great. Another person says, "I've heard from God about what I should do with MY life" and everyone thinks they should be commited. Where did the song come from? Sure part of it was experiences, but there's some originality in there(unless you're P. Diddy). Actually, it's like almost any art form. It's original, so why do we accept that and throw away someone that says they heard from God?

It's not really original. Styles and art are in constant evolution. Orchestra eventually turned into Country. Country turned into Rock. Rock turned into Alternative.
Artists and musicians modify previous genres and songs to create new ones, and it's exactly the same with technology. The only new thing that occurs is something taken from another aspect of life.

Swift
Oh, it would actually be multiple personality disorder if you want to try and classify it as a mental sickness.
Not unless someone actually thinks they ARE God/Jesus/the flying spaggetti monster etc! Just having an imaginary friend and conversing with them doesn't mean you change persona. One's perception of 'self' is still a constant, despite you obviously a lot of other wacky stuff going on... just ask my imaginary friend Bill! (oh whoops didn't mean to tell you about him, you'll think I'm a nutter :scared: )

Jack's statement was a nice bit of sharp wit but was a little cruel - maybe cause its based in fact - its well known that many mental patients attribute the voice in their head to "God". Its certainly the most appealing notion - if its not God, well... you've just admitted to being insane! (having a relationship with God (in a Christian society) is considered OK (sane), but any other make-believe character is a no-no (insane)). You can see the reason why many schizophrenics like to think the voice in their head must be "God", its the only logical (for a Christian) explanation that doesn't automatically prove you're a total and verifiable nutjob.

Swift, by reacting in such an overblown way, its giving Jack exactly what he wants, it just validates his opinions... that religious types tend to be wound real tight. I think you just need to relax a little more, Jack's statement wasn't even a directed put down of any individual... well obviously I'm not really aware of jack's posting history, but yeah thats my 2 cents for what its worth (maybe only 1 cent?).

Swift

What if he's smoking pot ?

Grand Prix
It's not really original. Styles and art are in constant evolution. Orchestra eventually turned into Country. Country turned into Rock. Rock turned into Alternative.
Artists and musicians modify previous genres and songs to create new ones, and it's exactly the same with technology. The only new thing that occurs is something taken from another aspect of life.

Oh man...Country DID NOT come from Classical music. The "Blues" is the basis for most, if not all, of our rock and country music that we hear today. A lot of the slide work in blues originated from the influences of the early Hawaiians.

People attribute and give credit to their successes quite often to God. They speak of "God inspired songs and music". There are other inspirations such as drugs, personal hardships, and other emotional or intellectual stimulus ranging from new technologies to raw talent. All of these other forces, however, do not discount the existence of God's inspiration in music and song.

sicbeing
God gave them ideas maybe, but I wouldn't believe that God wrote a song then put it into the mind of hippe-rock-guy-001

Of course not. Why would he give a song to a person that it pretty much against what the word of God stands for?

But he would put it in the head of a gospel artist. I have a songwriter friend in church that has 4 cd's and at least 25 more songs on top of that. Most people would just say he's "talented" I say he's inspired by God.

James2097
Swift, by reacting in such an overblown way, its giving Jack exactly what he wants, it just validates his opinions... that religious types tend to be wound real tight. I think you just need to relax a little more, Jack's statement wasn't even a directed put down of any individual... well obviously I'm not really aware of jack's posting history, but yeah thats my 2 cents for what its worth (maybe only 1 cent?).

After some thought I've found you to be correct. But you know what I don't understand? If someone attacks anything that you care, people get upset. Your job, your sports team, your MOTHER. But if someone insults God and a believer gets upset, then he's wound to tight. I really don't get that.

Does God play favorites, Swift? Will he put a song into the mind of a good christian rather than a pot smoking "dood"?

And when I said hippe, I didn't exactly mean non-believer, or someone who doesn't accept God, I just meant a musician in my own funny way.

sicbeing
Does God play favorites, Swift? Will he put a song into the mind of a good christian rather than a pot smoking "dood"?

And when I said hippe, I didn't exactly mean non-believer, or someone who doesn't accept God, I just meant a musician in my own funny way.

God has no respect to persons when it comes to salvation. But when it comes to blessings, very much so.

sicbeing
I still disagree on that. I don't believe that being a christian gives you a better life, I've seen no definate proof of it.

That's ok. You wouldn't know it until you let God touch you. I thought my life was incredible. Then I found God. :)

Well, I don't know. My life isn't bad without God. I have a job, a life, a girlfriend, a family, what I have of my health. Every night I eat, every night I sleep on a big bed, everyday I get to work with computers, I like the life I have.

Now what would you think would happen if I found God and was born again?

sicbeing
Well, I don't know. My life isn't bad without God. I have a job, a life, a girlfriend, a family, what I have of my health. Every night I eat, every night I sleep on a big bed, everyday I get to work with computers, I like the life I have.

Now what would you think would happen if I found God and was born again?

If you think that's good by itself, wait till God gets a hold of it!

Right, God would make you rich and give you a beautiful wife for believing in Him. Sounds like God is luring people to Hell with Greed if you ask me.

Grand Prix
Right, God would make you rich and give you a beautiful wife for believing in Him. Sounds like God is luring people to Hell with Greed if you ask me.

Thank you very much for putting words in my mouth. I appreciate that.

Meanwhile, yet another court case starts about a school board trying to slip creationism into the science curriculum:

Same old crap...

I love the way creationists try to put their "theory" in a cheap tuxedo and call it something new. As if anybody is fooled. Heck, this trial isn't even drawing much of a crowd.

And where are the Flying Spaghetti Monster followers? They'd better get their butts to Harrisburg, and pronto!

Zardoz
Meanwhile, yet another court case starts about a school board trying to slip creationism into the science curriculum:

Same old crap...

I love the way creationists try to put their "theory" in a cheap tuxedo and call it something new. As if anybody is fooled. Heck, this trial isn't even drawing much of a crowd.

And where are the Flying Spaghetti Monster followers? They'd better get their butts to Harrisburg, and pronto!

I do think intelligent design should be shown to students just as the evolutionary theory is given as "fact". I don't however like how some "christian" groups have made it illegal to talk about evolution in any classroom settings. That's exaclty the kind of close mindedness that we need to avoid.

sicbeing
Please tell me that was either sarcasm, or a joke.

And that my friend, is exactly why you haven't and may never(unfortunately) see the proof that being a christian is great. I'm actually quite sorry you feel this way.

You forget I was once a chrsitian. Sure, I was young, but I made the exact opposite change you did. I did the trial during my highschool years to research, talk to people, read things see things, etc etc. I made the decision not choose sides, I didn't see the point in being either, an atheist or a christian, I am just going to live my life open minded and moral.

sicbeing
You forget I was once a chrsitian. Sure, I was young, but I made the exact opposite change you did. I did the trial during my highschool years to research, talk to people, read things see things, etc etc. I made the decision not choose sides, I didn't see the point in being either, an atheist or a christian, I am just going to live my life open minded and moral.

Thats the way to be, thats how I am. But I don't look at people who follow religion as wrong, they just have different views then I.

Back