Creation vs. Evolution

• Thread starter ledhed
  • 9,687 comments
sicbeing
God gave them ideas maybe, but I wouldn't believe that God wrote a song then put it into the mind of hippe-rock-guy-001

Some people when they are high say God speaks to them . is that looked at differently than the people who are are not high and say the same ?

I wasnt joking at all when I said musicians claim to get inspiration for songs when they smoke good herb to get " high "

Some people claim to talk to God when they are high also .

You can "see" the results or hear them in a musicians songs when he claims inspiration when high.

What about those who talk to God ?

sicbeing
You forget I was once a chrsitian. Sure, I was young, but I made the exact opposite change you did. I did the trial during my highschool years to research, talk to people, read things see things, etc etc. I made the decision not choose sides, I didn't see the point in being either, an atheist or a christian, I am just going to live my life open minded and moral.

Did you try to talk with God?

Out of curiousity...what would you say is evolution's best answer for the theory of the cambrian explosion?

Plus, do you guys consider evolution a hypothesis, theory, or fact?

Out of curiousity...what would you say is evolution's best answer for the theory of the cambrian explosion?

First off, thanks for asking an intelligent question! A rare thing in this thread. 👍

Cambrian quesion:

Environmental factors played a major role. By the start of the Cambrian, the supercontinent of land on Earth was breaking up into smaller bits. This increased the area of continental shelf and produced shallow seas, which contributed to the growth of more diverse ecosystems.

There's quite a bit of debate about whether the evolutionary "explosion" of the Cambrian was as sudden and spontaneous as it appears. Scientists long thought that rock deposits from the Cambrian held the first and oldest fossilized animals. Now, a growing body of pre-Cambrian fossils and other scientific evidence, such as genetic analysis, increasingly suggests that the developmental changes seen abundantly in the Cambrian were already underway much earlier.

National Geographic article

Is evolutionary theory fact?

Evolution has been proven to occur, so the general concept is certainly fact. Do we know everything about how it works? No. One important thing to realise is that for something to evolve, it doesn't neccessarily become more complex. It simply evolves in whatever way that creature can become more successful, including possibly becoming simpler (many GTPlanet members), staying the same (crocodiles, many insects), or becoming more complex and intelligent (most humans). Its also important to realise that evolution doesn't neccessarily happen at a linear rate, its quite dependent on the conditions and each individual species (as shown by human's evolution whilst crocodiles have remained successful and haven't needed to change much). There are quite a few intelligent assumptions regarding what happened really early on, so there's a bit of theorising (due to lack of evidence. More fossils are always being found however) still going on. But yes, the basic concept of evolution IS factual. How many times do creationists need to be told this?

Swift
So, I'm confused as how you could walk away from christianity without talking to Christ.

Wouldn't that be a reason for walking away? If you're told Christ will speak to you and he blatantly doesn't that would undermine everything that the church/bible/whomever was saying.

You seem to think that anybody who doesn't believe in God comes from a non-religious background, that they've been deprived so-to-speak.

[personal rant] Myself, and I'm sure many others here, came through a religious schooling system. Over here in the UK you had to (not sure if it is still compulsory) attend assembly at school and were forced to take part in prayers and hymns and listen to sermons from a variety of vicars (my school was C.O.E.) and even attend church for religious celebrations such as Easter and the harvest festival.

If you were from a different religion you were excused of this, however if you didn't believe in God at all you had no choice but to sit there and listen to it.

We had to study the bible but if we questioned anything in it we got into trouble.[/personal rant]

It may be possible to grow up without any religious influence but you would have to lead a very secluded life.

Well, welcome back Mr. XVII... 👍 Long time no see...

I think 'Evolution' is all of the above, just like all good science should be. Hypotheses are formulated and tested. If they are reliable and robust, then they are incorporated into the broader remit of the theory. And the theory is merely there to attempt to explain the observable facts.

About the 'Cambrian Explosion', I'm sure there is plenty of theories and textbooks about the subject... I found this on the web... http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/library/03/4/l_034_02.html
I'd guess that in pre-Cambrian era, life did exist, but was limited in growth and expansion potential by the conditions on the planet, producing a 'lag phase'. But at some point, conditions that are more conducive arose (over a long period of time), and from that point, an exponential growth in life occured... but to understand how the planet could change to become more conducive to the propogation of life is a question for geologists or planetary scientists really. But given the fact that life already did exist before the Cambrian explosion, the ingredients and conditions were already suitable, if not ideal, for life. So the changes in conditions required to kick start a major propogation period would presumably not have to be that severe or drastic at all. Even a minor change in global temperature could have had the desired effect. I guess it's analogous to bacterial growth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacterial_growth) but on a grand scale... lag phase, exponential growth phase, steady state, then death. Let's just hope we are not still around for part D... :scared:

On another note, does anyone have any views about this?
http://news.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=1975892005
I think I might read it... if not for any other reason that to see what I'm missing. :dopey:

James2097
I would shorten it even more and maybe get a comic book format happening (maybe even an interactive game) to get the kiddies in. I can see it now: "Yo! Jesus was a real dope homie, he tell yo what right an what is wrong! Aight!"

"Yo, Big J had a ho, the biatch's name was Mary. She helped him get away from da Romans dat was scary..."

What are you guys like?! Wash your mouths out with soap and water :sly: Irreverent humour aside for a second, as you probably know, I'm not likely to sit down and read the whole, unabridged Bible (not even the GT4 Bible!... well, it's in Japanese anyway, but I digress)... but I personally think it's a good idea to make the Bible more accessible. Science publications are often criticised for being too dense or inaccessible to the general public, but scientists frequently scoff at science that has been rewritten to make it more understandable. This is why I am a big fan of Richard Dawkins. Not only is he Professor of the public understanding of Science at Oxford, he is also capable of explaining some complex ideas in very simple and easily understandable language. By the same token, I think it is time there was an attempt to make the Bible a little less daunting to those who want to know 'the basics' rather than have to study the whole thing...

Touring Mars
:sly: very funny guys... as you'd probably know, I'm not likely to sit down and read the whole, unabridged Bible (not even the GT4 Bible!... well, it's in Japanese anyway, but I digress)... but I personally think it's a good idea to make the Bible more accessible. Science publications are often criticised for being too dense or inaccessible to the general public, but scientists frequently scoff at science that has been rewritten to make it more understandable. This is why I am a big fan of Richard Dawkins. Not only is he Professor of the public understanding of Science at Oxford, he is also capable of explaining some complex ideas in very simple and easily understandable language. By the same token, I think it is time there was an attempt to make the Bible a little less daunting to those who want to know 'the basics' rather than have to study the whole thing...

Making complex ideas easy to understand isn't the same as shortening the bible.

If someone re-wrote the bible taking into account the scientific knowledge we now have I would be very interested in reading it, but if it's just clap-trap condensed then no thanks...

JacktheHat
Making complex ideas easy to understand isn't the same as shortening the bible.

If someone re-wrote the bible taking into account the scientific knowledge we now have I would be very interested in reading it, but if it's just clap-trap condensed then no thanks...

That would be interesting indeed... for the record, have you read the Bible before?

Gil
At the risk of throwing a monkeywrench into things...
What if the "Benevolent Force" created the universe/world using evolution as a tool?

Good call. I think that is a possibility, but no one can know for sure...

crimson_menace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil

At the risk of throwing a monkeywrench into things...
What if the "Benevolent Force" created the universe/world using evolution as a tool?

Good call. I think that is a possibility, but no one can know for sure

That would make the bible, and therefore all forms of Christianity, a fallacy...

edit - though, I suppose, logic does that anyway.

No, I was just wondering if its just humans that can have souls. Like in the AI thread, if a computer got really intelligent and had human emotions, well could it go to heaven?

I'm serious! Don't mock my question Touring Mars. I'm wondering that if we know you don't need a physical body for a soul to "live" in, if you have a perfect version of a human mind with all emotions intact, in effect a real living human but missing an earthly body. Would this matter? Would this person still possess a soul?

James2097
No, I was just wondering if its just humans that can have souls. Like in the AI thread, if a computer got really intelligent and had human emotions, well could it go to heaven?
My shoes are not intellegent, but they still have a sole...

I would answer that question but it would be like feeding a baby steak. You need to start with applesauce.

Let me guess on something, when you were young, and asked your parents about how you got here, Did they say you were an accident? :lol::lol:

Back