DeadNutsEven - Where anyone can win!!

• Thread starter Johnnypenso
  • 2,278 comments
Yes, that's my PSN. The colour doesn't matter, you can pick.
Thanks.

Car sent, might not drive well, and you may need to tweak a little here and there, I managed mid 1:44 with the car. The twin spark needs precise braking and steering to hit those lines and reach great exit speeds. A little mistake or late braking/steering will cost a lot of time. If you are using wheel, the rear might be too loose even in straight line, it's a trade off to get better turn in. Don't be afraid to stab the brake harder than usual to bring the nose into the apex :)

Oh, I have posted my Countryman tune on page 81, now this Mini simply in another league, very responsive, nimble and forgiving, unlike the Alfa TS.

So has anyone organized a Saturday race yet for this week?

Cote suggested that if we do a Saturday race this week we move on from TM-R so we don't see a repeat of the wild lap times we saw on Monday. I don't think anything was decided about whether there would actually be a Saturday race but I am certainly up for it.

Cote suggested that if we do a Saturday race this week we move on from TM-R so we don't see a repeat of the wild lap times we saw on Monday. I don't think anything was decided about whether there would actually be a Saturday race but I am certainly up for it.

Sounds good to me. I think by now about everyone has a car sorted out for Monday, so if there are no objections we will use the FF's at Laguna Seca. I'd be willing to host again, usual 10:00am EST (15:00 UTC) start time.

Post here if interested.

1. NCemtB

Saturday, March 9, 10:00am EST (15:00 UTC) start time.

Post here if interested.

1. NCemtB
2. BrandonW77

Thought I would share this with my fellow DNE racer

Overtaking_Legal.jpg

Particularly the part about : Only attempt an overtake if you can safely and properly pass the other car.

To me it is clear that if you have to contact the other car to pass, it does not qualify as properly.

I hope every one in our group share my opinion.:)

Particularly the part about : Only attempt an overtake if you can safely and properly pass the other car.

To me it is clear that if you have to contact the other car to pass, it does not qualify as properly.

This would have been particularly useful prior to Autumn Ring Reverse, I recall several times people going all four in the grass to pass in the chicane prior to the loop and in the esses.

Saturday, March 9, 10:00am EST (15:00 UTC) start time.

Post here if interested.

1. NCemtB
2. BrandonW77
3. xNikodemusx

(Just have to tune a car.. but should have a couple of hours to do that)

I'm taking off for the weekend...good luck tomorrow with the race:tup:👍 I should be back Sunday night.:)

Overtaking_Legal.jpg

If I may play devil's advocate, it is also the responsibility of the red driver to realize that the blue driver is not on the "ideal line" and may not be able to keep his car tucked low and out of trouble. There have been times where I was the blue driver and though I tried my hardest to avoid contact my momentum carried me up and unfortunateness occurred. Because of this I often practice driving around the track on non-typical lines so when I find myself in this position during a race I might be more prepared for what's required to keep the car low and tight.

It takes two to pull off a clean pass. 👍

(puts on flame suit)
Flame%20Suit.jpg

Last edited:

Overtaking_Legal.jpg

If I may play devil's advocate, it is also the responsibility of the red driver to realize that the blue driver is not on the "ideal line" and may not be able to keep his car tucked low and out of trouble. There have been times where I was the blue driver and though I tried my hardest to avoid contact my momentum carried me up and unfortunateness occurred. Because of this I often practice driving around the track on non-typical lines so when I find myself in this position during a race I might be more prepared for what's required to keep the car low and tight.

It takes two to pull off a clean pass. 👍

But in this image, the red car should have already started to turn into the corner, in which case the blue car would have to react before this point. My point is there isn't enough "sufficient overlap" for the blue car to take the corner first, his line is far from ideal anyway, so he should pull back and tuck in. Just my opinion, correct me if I'm wrong though.

My understanding of the rules (may be different for this group) is that the blue car has more than sufficient overlap on the red car, so it is the red car's responsibility to lift and tuck in behind the blue car. This is basically what I was referring to in my comments, often times the red driver feels he doesn't have to relinquish the position and holds his line which causes the blue car to crash into him.

Although your analysis is actually correct, the diagram is not showing the proper driving line through the turn. In the first picture the red car would be turning-in at that point, not further up the track as the diagram suggests. But I think that's beside the point as it is trying to illustrate what should happen when the drivers are in the turn, not as they are entering it. Without knowing the position of the cars 20-30 yards before the first diagram we can't really say which driver had the right to the line. If the cars had been in that exact position for the previous 20-30 yards the blue car has the right to the line, but if the blue car just now arrived at that position then the red car would likely have the right to the line.

My understanding of the rules (may be different for this group) is that the blue car has more than sufficient overlap on the red car, so it is the red car's responsibility to lift and tuck in behind the blue car. This is basically what I was referring to in my comments, often times the red driver feels he doesn't have to relinquish the position and holds his line which causes the blue car to crash into him.

Although your analysis is actually correct, the diagram is not showing the proper driving line through the turn. In the first picture the red car would be turning-in at that point, not further up the track as the diagram suggests. But I think that's beside the point as it is trying to illustrate what should happen when the drivers are in the turn, not as they are entering it.

Right, I agree now - it would be the red cars fault if he continued on his line and there was a collision. But both drivers have to be aware of the situation, the blue car could allow room for them to both take the corner two abreast, but it would slow them both down, or the red car to lift and tuck back in allowing the overtake.

As for the last part you've added before I finished typing, yes I agree with you there - if they've been like that for a bit before the corner then it is the red cars duty to give way for the blue car. But if I was the blue car and I had just gotten parallel with the red car, I would have to allow room and take the corner a bit slower because it was too late for a safe overtake and I would try again after the corner. If I moved over a bit the red car would still have the best line, from that diagram.

But if I was the blue car and I had just gotten parallel with the red car, I would have to allow room and take the corner a bit slower because it was too late for a safe overtake and I would try again after the corner. .

And I think that's exactly the point JP was making with some of his photo illustrations: yes it's possible and yes it can be done cleanly but you both will have to lift which means it's a losing proposition for both drivers.

In many corners it is completely possible for the red car to keep going and end up on the inside of the blue car in the second part of the S, getting corner rights. Just because the blue car is on the inside does not mean that the red car has to give up an tuck in behind. Being in an OLR-legal position gives you the right to the line of your choosing, BUT requires leaving sufficient space for the other car, not running them off the road like pictured.

In corners sharper than pictured you can try braking deeper and slowing down more than normal, while keeping an eye on the red car on the outside of the corner, making sure you're level with him. After that you'd have much better trajectory to make sure that the red car can't stay level with you for the next corner. In a corner like the one pictured you can be a dick and start your turn-in for the first part of the S very late, leaving just a car-width for the red car, but you still have to leave it, and you can't just expect that the red car will tuck-in.

Now, IRL, it's best to tuck-in because the alternative is race-ending, life-threatening and expensive.

Last edited:
VOLKSWAGEN GOLF Mk V GTI '05
Tuned for Mazda Laguna Seca on Sports Hard tires, 1:44

8540174607_88abcbbcfc_c_d.jpg

Specs

Horsepower: 194 hp at 5800 RPM
Torque: 208 ft-lb at 3200 RPM
Power/weight Raio : 6.64 kg/HP
Displacement : 1,998 cc
Drivetrain layout : FF
Power Limiter at : 90.8 %
Weight: 1308 kg
Ballast : 196
Ballast Position : -8
Weight Distribution : 61/39 - as stock
Distance Travelled : 17 miles
Performance Points: 405
Top Speed : 108 mph / 174 kmh

GT AUTO
Paint : Lime Green Metallic
Wheel : Motegi Racing Touge in Red

Tuning Parts Installed :
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Window Weight Reduction
Chassis Reinforcement ( must have )
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Fully Customizable Transmission
Clutch : Twin Plate
Flywheel : Semi Racing
Suspension Fully Customizable Kit
Adjustable LSD

LSD
Initial Torque : 7
Acceleration Sensitivity: 12
Braking Sensitivity: 7

Suspension :
Front, Rear
Ride Height: -10 5
Spring Rate: 11.5 6
Dampers Extension: 4 6
Dampers Compression : 2 3
Anti-Roll Bars: 4 6
Camber Angle: 1.4 2.4
Toe Angle: 0.15 -0.17

Transmission
Reset to default, set top speed slider to 168 mph, move final to 4.279, then adjust each gear accordingly :
1st : 2.850
2nd : 2.013
3rd : 1.514
4th : 1.200
5th : 1.000
6th : 0.875
Final : 4.279
Top speed next to the graph at the top : 155mph

Brake Balance :
5/4 or for wheel user : 4/3 - if good at trail braking ( no ABS ), for ABS 1 : 5/4 or your own BB.

Notes :
For standing start launch, hold rpm just above 5000rpm, then full throttle, relax, the 1st gear has been tuned to launch hard, shift to 2nd when close to 40 mph. Shift point for 2nd gear onwards is just over 6000rpm. Easy 1:44s consistently, the last half after the corkscrew can be taken in higher speed than most FF with SH, the downhill left can be taken above 81 mph and the next right above 75 mph at the apexes, reach just over 90mph before braking for last corner apex at 40 mph. A good run would have high 26s 1st sector, low/mid 52s 2nd sector, and low/mid 1:13s last sector.

What can I say, the Golf just hug the apexes and haul out of the corner like a bat of out hell :) Very sharp turn in with proper trail braking and can be pushed hard out of almost any corner, even the 1st corner, enjoy one of the best FF in the world !!

8540174593_d7986cd2a2_c_d.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be jumping into the lounge here shortly for some FF's at Laguna Seca... Racing starts at 10:00am EST, come on out!

Naptown I'm sorry but I won't be able to make it today.. thought I would be but there simply isn't time. Hope you find some companions to race with anyway.

Well... Only Brandon, Cote and myself showed up today so no official racing.

We did a couple practice races and hung it up for the day. After the few races I've done between Thursday and today, I think things will be pretty good come Monday.

I wanted to race this morning, but I stayed up to late last nite and and didnt even hear my alarm at 9:30. I should be in the lounge some time today.

Have been testing various FF's, I've come to the conclusion that I can't race on Monday. No matter what I do, they're miserable to drive. I've got work to do on Monday anyways... see you guys next week.

...unless anybody has a Trial Celica I could try...

Last edited:
Have been testing various FF's, I've come to the conclusion that I can't race on Monday. No matter what I do, they're miserable to drive. I've got work to do on Monday anyways... see you guys next week.

Race an NSX in reverse? 💡

And I have a Trial Celica... Standby

...unless anybody has a Trial Celica I could try...

I'll PM you the tune for my Atenza, it grips and grips, easy to drive ... 410PP 1:44.008 PB.

Okay, we're back in business, the Celica is definitely the car for me. 2 laps in on SH @ 220HP and I demolished the time by 3 seconds. Thanks NC, and thanks Orido, its definitely my backup if the Celica is too slow in a straight line.

EDIT: Driving the Celica, isn't it pretty? :sly: :lol:
2WpAa.jpg

Ferraridude308/Celica SS-II (ZZT231) '03/405/Spec/SH/ABS Off/106mph

Last edited:
Okay, we're back in business, the Celica is definitely the car for me. 2 laps in on SH @ 220HP and I demolished the time by 3 seconds. Thanks NC, and thanks Orido, its definitely my backup if the Celica is too slow in a straight line.

EDIT: Driving the Celica, isn't it pretty? :sly: :lol:
2WpAa.jpg

Ferraridude308/Celica SS-II (ZZT231) '03/405/Spec/SH/ABS Off/106mph

So you're using that turd with the pink wheels? I thought you were using the Trial Celica... :lol:

Back