Derek Speare Designs - Button Boxes - Shifters - Great Gear

• Thread starter derekspeare
  • 1,567 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Derek, I hope you're considering making a "VR" button box before the Oculus Rift consumer version hits. The development really has advanced, technically, to where it's going to be an absolute game changer for sim racing when it finally hits.

What's a VR box? Something that has some safety toggles for the more sensitive items (Pit Limiter, etc). But also something you can memorize and navigate by touch (since you're blind). I envision a non-symmetrical button layout. You don't want everything to feel the same. You need variety to know where your hand is. Not only that, but quite a few size buttons/toggles. Maybe even a diamond shaped layout for 4 buttons (to navigate menus with.)

Maybe I'm nuts and only I find this attractive. But I'll definitely be going this route with a DIY mode if there aren't any pre-mades. Just a thought.

EDIT: Great Scott! The pedals, they're alive!

Last edited:
UPDATE - here are some photos showing the DSD Parts we've developed which attach to the Wilwood rack (customer pedals will have black parts, the red ones are so you can see them :)):

HPIM2018.jpg

HPIM2022.jpg

HPIM2021.jpg

HPIM2019.jpg

HPIM2017.jpg

HPIM2020.jpg

REMINDER: These are made so folks can see how it comes together. The baseplate is the baseplate to ship with every set. It's 0.75"/19mm antistatic UHMW. It's predrilled with its own mounting holes, and there are holes matching the G27's mounting holes as well for those who want to use them; our holes are recommended.

NB - the brake parts have been purposely left off so the other bits may be seen easier.

Changing gears...with the "Smooth Action" DSD Clutch, here's a photo of the tester about 95% finished:

HPIM2023.jpg

Keep in mind that we have parts on hand to build a small run without issue and that this Wilwood rack just came in from the factory to us yesterday. Other than the throttle spring catch and tidying the wires, this rack is ready for prime time and could be shipped Monday morning to a customer if needed.

Let's summarize:

• 100kg Load Cell
  • 21 day delivery time
  • Million Life Cycle Pots on throttle and cltuch
  • Heavy duty throttle return spring added
  • "Smooth Action", ultra reliable clutch pedal
  • 3/4" Antistatic UHMW baseplate - ultra stiff, ZERO flex
  • DSD 12 Bit Controller with variable sensitivity brake pedal control
  • Wilwood Racing Pedals - real world pedals for real world racing cars
  • DSD Customer Commitment - Lifetime enjoyment built into each set
  • Shooting for 695 USD final price plus shipping - pretty likely
  • Original, proprietary design
  • "Race Feel" brake pedal - firm and gives perfect control for threshold braking
  • Releasing by Spring or I head for cover :mrgreen:
d

Wait. So you're shooting for 695 for the clutch version? The post on Wednesday said 795. For some reason 695 makes a psychological difference for me.

When you say "smooth action" clutch, I assume it means it's got that real clutch feel?

Here's an update for January 30th - all orders promised for January 31st shipping have either shipped or will ship on time tomorrow. Thank you :)

Hi all,

Some folks may remember the Race King 300 event organized by Trading Paints and US back in the Summer of 2011. At that time it was one of the biggest hosted events in history. The winner of that race, Dave Swindell won one of two of the original Race King button boxes. Dave's still hauling ass, from what I've heard ;)

The revised and thoroughly updated DSD Race King for 2014 has been rewroked from the ground up, but takes with it the original essence of its predecessor. I think the new version looks quite nice, and with 32 total functions, it's sure to keep you in button nirvana.

1851635.jpg

2439988_orig.jpg

1960074_orig.jpg

9666214_orig.jpg

It's HUGE, too and measures approximately 7.5" x 10.25" x 4" or 190mm x 260mm x 100mm. It will be the component to make your sim racing setup the King of the Race!

Features:

• 32 total functions
  • 7 on/off toggles
  • 10 pushbuttons
  • Lighted FVS button
  • 2 two way toggles
  • 5 two way rotary encoders

It's offered at 139.75 US plus shipping. You have your choice of black or red buttons/toggle covers and a choice of several colors for the center, FVS button. New orders ship on or before February 17th.

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/2014-race-king.html

They're going to go fast!

Thank you for the opportunity to serve the racing sim community :)

d

Here are two files. Both are the same content, but different formats. The files show the base plate for the DSD Wilwood Load Cell Pedals we're planning to /release soonest. The entire assembly fits within a 12" x 12" square. We use our own mounting holes in addition to the base having holes to accommodate mounting points.

Attachments

• DSD Wilwood Load Cell - Base Plate Dimensions.zip
    96.9 KB · Views: 27
Here are two files. Both are the same content, but different formats. The files show the base plate for the DSD Wilwood Load Cell Pedals we're planning to /release soonest. The entire assembly fits within a 12" x 12" square. We use our own mounting holes in addition to the base having holes to accommodate mounting points.
At 12 x 12, the DSD pedals are actually have a smaller footprint than, say, a set of G27 pedals correct?

EDIT: They are..

And is there a way to turn down the resistance of the brake pedal to something really manageable?

Last edited:
At 12 x 12, the DSD pedals are actually have a smaller footprint than, say, a set of G27 pedals correct?

EDIT: They are..

And is there a way to turn down the resistance of the brake pedal to something really manageable?

The brake pedal will be stiff and require effort to use, and everyone needs to recognize this fact; you'd not find anything less in a modern, real world racing car. The pedal may be too much for some, and I understand that.

However, we of course use the DSD 12 bit controller with integrated load cell amp using variable gain so you can adjust your relative maximum as you wish. With variable gain - think, "Variable Sensitivity" - you can set the pedal to your preferred maximum force (your, "Relative Maximum") and turn the dial to adjust the output to the limit. That way you get 4096 steps of resolution at your own "Relative Max".

The brake pedal will be stiff and require effort to use, and everyone needs to recognize this fact; you'd not find anything less in a modern, real world racing car. The pedal may be too much for some, and I understand that.

However, we of course use the DSD 12 bit controller with integrated load cell amp using variable gain so you can adjust your relative maximum as you wish. With variable gain - think, "Variable Sensitivity" - you can set the pedal to your preferred maximum force (your, "Relative Maximum") and turn the dial to adjust the output to the limit. That way you get 4096 steps of resolution at your own "Relative Max".
Are there plans to offer a 2 pedal version or is the 3 pedal formula the only configuration you'll sell?

Just ordered my P1 button controller. So many different models to choose from. Looking forward to adding this to my ever growing rig.

Love your work Derek.

Derek what you have created there is unequaled to anything out there and ever will be. It is a master piece and I want one. Postage will probably kill my budget but I just want one!

Last edited:
Hi Derek.

Is the clutch like a real car with a bite point? Or is it just the same spring pressure all the way?

Hi Derek.

Is the clutch like a real car with a bite point? Or is it just the same spring pressure all the way?

There is no "bite" to a clutch that's felt at the pedal. It's possible to feel the vibration between a pressure plate and disk pack, but that varies from car to car. Moreover, modern racing cars use hydraulic clutches with little feedback. Since any possible feel would vary from car to car it's antithetical to try to create some one size fits all solution, especially when the basis giving rise to it is dubious as best.

Besides, do you go faster with a clutch - any clutch? To charge the customer more money for such a thing with no material gain is not something I can do. The brake pedal - the heart of any pedal system for road racers - is the relevant one. You will go faster, have better control and more fun with a pedal system reproducing with the greatest fidelity the same feel you'd find in any modern racing machine. I've spent three years developing just that.

@nipzon - thank you :)

@derekspeare What would be the preferred height of the pedals relative to your seating position or does it not matter. In real life racing I presume it to be closer to F1 style compared to desktop chair position.

I found that raising my CSP's about three inches in front and four in the rear made it a lot easier for pedal control.

I just resubscribed to iracing and saw the forums there. A select few were quick enough to get OMG pricing of 495 (with shipping). I would have bit so hard at that. It sounds like it sold out almost instantaneously, so I won't kick myself too hard. Probably wouldn't have gotten in even if I'd known.

I just resubscribed to iracing and saw the forums there. A select few were quick enough to get OMG pricing of 495 (with shipping). I would have bit so hard at that. It sounds like it sold out almost instantaneously, so I won't kick myself too hard. Probably wouldn't have gotten in even if I'd known.
I heard it was an iRacing forums thing, so he probably wanted to get the pedals into the hands of some iRacers and get opinions out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back