Did You See Anything Good Today? [Read First Post]

• Thread starter GilesGuthrie
  • 46,853 comments
What type of person puts that on public roads!

The kind of person who can afford to, and I'm glad they do, cars should be driven, not garaged. People who keep their cars in garages are not my kind of car people.

cars should be driven, not garaged.

Clap.gif

I agree with you but there should be a line somewhere.

Disagree. It's a car. It was meant to be driven and enjoyed. It doesn't matter if you own a 500$ car or a $5 million dollar masterpiece. You go out and enjoy it. What's the fun of just looking at a car you own in your garage and not driving it because it's expensive or rare? You go out, drive it, enjoy the sounds and smells and let car people like yourself adore the car and hell, maybe you just turned that little kid that pointed at your car at a red-light into a gearhead for life. At the end of the day you'll be glad you went out and drove the car instead of having it sit in the garage.

If I had the money to replace a £5 million pound masterpiece, I would always drive it, but if I didn't then I wouldn't. Every single one of us would be paranoid even if we did have the money to replace it.

I disagree with this statement. If Mercedes-Benz didn't want the 300SL to be driven, then they wouldn't have made it drive-able. A car just can't be garaged all of the time. I honestly think it's wrong to keep any car garaged and off the road; no matter how valuable it is.

I disagree with this statement. If Mercedes-Benz didn't want the 300SL to be driven, then they wouldn't have made it drive-able. A car just can't be garaged all of the time. I honestly think it's wrong to keep any car garaged and off the road; no matter how valuable it is.

I agree that every car was built to be driven but I also agree that a line has to be drawn sometimes. I know this may sound stereotypical but I wouldn't go driving my 300SL around South London because I would be paranoid what might happen. If I was rich enough to own a 300SL I would build my own track to drive it on. It would also be sensible to keep it off the road because imagine the insurance premium on that thing!

I really don't think you understand where I live. Lets just say it's not South London. I know the owner because I've seen him drive some of his other cars and I've sparked conversation about them. He only drives them in the gated community we live in. That spot ,where the car is, is a valet to a restaurant so it's safe to park there. See you can drive these cars a lot(he does), you just have to be careful on where you drive them.

I agree that every car was built to be driven but I also agree that a line has to be drawn sometimes. I know this may sound stereotypical but I wouldn't go driving my 300SL around South London because I would be paranoid what might happen. If I was rich enough to own a 300SL I would build my own track to drive it on. It would also be sensible to keep it off the road because imagine the insurance premium on that thing!

Oh yeah, of course it's risky to drive them there. I thought he meant that they shouldn't be driven at all or something.

I know you don't live in South London, obviously. I was just using that as an example as I know that area can be bad.

EDIT: I wasn't suggesting you lived in a bad area, like I said earlier, I was just using it as an example.

Disagree. It's a car. It was meant to be driven and enjoyed. It doesn't matter if you own a 500$ car or a $5 million dollar masterpiece. You go out and enjoy it. What's the fun of just looking at a car you own in your garage and not driving it because it's expensive or rare? You go out, drive it, enjoy the sounds and smells and let car people like yourself adore the car and hell, maybe you just turned that little kid that pointed at your car at a red-light into a gearhead for life. At the end of the day you'll be glad you went out and drove the car instead of having it sit in the garage.
This argument could be made against anything collectable; toys, coca-cola machines, guns, etc., but funny how it never is.

The reason is the same as those items. It's ok to use them every once & a while, but anything more than that potentially lowers the value of them.

This argument could be made against anything collectable; toys, coca-cola machines, guns, etc., but funny how it never is.

The reason is the same as those items. It's ok to use them every once & a while, but anything more than that potentially lowers the value of them.

I guess it really depends on why someone bought the car. If the car was purchased solely as an investment, then it makes sense to drive it as little as possible. If the car was purchased solely for its enjoyment, then it makes sense to drive it as much as possible, value be damned. Of course, the motivation is likely somewhere in the middle for most people, so we see them every once in a while only, but there are people who are at either ends of the spectrum.

Saw quite a bit during a trip to the mall today:
GT500:
CAM00531.jpg

Chevy Pickup and an SRT-4:
CAM00540.jpg

SRT8 Jeep Grand Cherokee:
CAM00514.jpg

And one that I'd really like some help identifying:
CAM00525.jpg

I have no idea what this is, all I know is that it's gorgeous.

We were slowing down for a light right there. The idol sound was loud, but even when he just went light on the throttle you could almost feel it. Funny thing was I was actually talking about the fact I'd never seen one in person just that morning. :D

And one that I'd really like some help identifying:
CAM00525.jpg

I have no idea what this is, all I know is that it's gorgeous.

I'm on my phone so I'm probably wrong... but it looks like the rear bumper is custom/aftermarket. Logo on left side looks like it's in cursive and starts with C. As in cutlass?
But, again, I'm on my phone and the pic is very small

We were slowing down for a light right there. The idol sound was loud, but even when he just went light on the throttle you could almost feel it. Funny thing was I was actually talking about the fact I'd never seen one in person just that morning. :D

That thing unless it was modded is really quiet at idle :lol: Even then....not like straight pipes like I'm used to.

Agreed. I don't like to see cars stuffed in garages, but it's worse seeing them torn apart and treated like crap. Example: rallying Enzo, Ford GT v. Carrera GT tug of war, Shelby 427 being daily driven, etc...

As long as the driver takes care and isn't an idiot, it's fine to drive. But if they drive it like they stole it, sure they can because it's their car, but 🤬 them because they are ruining a very rare or expensive car.

Agreed. I don't like to see cars stuffed in garages, but it's worse seeing them torn apart and treated like crap. Example: rallying Enzo, Ford GT v. Carrera GT tug of war, Shelby 427 being daily driven, etc...

As long as the driver takes care and isn't an idiot, it's fine to drive. But if they drive it like they stole it, sure they can because it's their car, but 🤬 them because they are ruining a very rare or expensive car.

Rallying an Enzo?

How about an FXX? And then crashing it?

I don't see a huge problem with using a Cobra as a daily either, if you're somewhere sunny.

Edit:
And an actual Enzo getting it's tires dirt, many thanks to CallmeDan for the link.👍

Last edited:
Because our city only has I think 5 of them and I absolutely love them. The very cute officer let me take some photo's of it and we had a little chat about them and photography. I think I have a bit of a crush haha.

DSC_0737 by JeffC6_R, on Flickr

Back