DiRT Rally Thread

I love the game already.
As my wheel is broken, i've played with an Xbox 360 controller. And to my surprise, it's very playable, even without any driving aid. You need to stay focus, but that the point of rallying.
It also works very well in 3D Vision, once shadows reduced (not a problem), even during night stages which look gorgeous :)

Overall the content is scarce, but the driving bring so much fun that i could drive the whole day on a single stage.

Accuforce owners are loving being able to have Sim Commander 4 generate the ffb, completely bypassing the game's very primitive in-built ffb.

My impressions of the game so far are very positive, I have done the FFB change detailed above and found it certainly helped matters.

The whole game feels very polished for something so early in development, its not without its niggles but as far as just jumping on and playing its great; a lot of fun, immersive and challenging.

I would like to see more obvious career progression, I did a few rallies yesterday and spotted that I was in Clubman Class rather than open, no idea how or when this happened (could have been when I won a rally in open) but it would be nice for this to be more clear in future. I also rather stumbled across the team management aspect of the game, I knew it existed and went looking for it but there was no prompt to say the team could be improved or things like that.

Overall I think the core of the game is excellent and I am very encouraged by it!

Interesting post on Codies blog about pacenotes: http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/04/co-driver-calls-explained/

I now realize why I have so much trouble adapting to RBR at first. RBR uses terms (flat/easy/medium) to describe corners, which is ambiguous and quite inaccurate a lot of the time. The Dirt system uses numbers (1=tight, 6=shallow) which is a lot more concrete and easier to remember when you're flying by trees at 100mph!

I would like to see more obvious career progression, I did a few rallies yesterday and spotted that I was in Clubman Class rather than open, no idea how or when this happened (could have been when I won a rally in open) but it would

You get promoted if you finish in top three

You get promoted if you finish in top three

Ahh right ok, is that over a whole championship or a single event?

I just think it would be good if the game made it more obvious going forward, maybe a quick cutscene or something that says congrats on the promotion.

It's the end position over the whole championship. You can get away with some slips, but otherwise you have to remain quite consistent.

A championship consists in only 3 events, so you can be promoted quite fast.
I didn't notice improved difficulty, as my own improvement seems to be higher, the game feels easier to me (but still challenging enough, i didn't win an event yet)

I like the daily competitions - you get one try! You won't have racers repeat over and over until they get a fast time, you just better be good and consistent to begin with (not me). I also like how they limit restarts (mulligans, do-overs, ...), it puts more importance on driving fast but carefully as IRL.

It doesn't take a IRL rally racer to kick my *ss :crazy: Actually, I am having some problems getting use to clutch and H-pattern in DR, constantly missing shifts and destroying my times. I need a lot of practice, I don't have nearly as many problems shifting in some of my other sims.
Sequential here, and i mapped the right paddle as the handbrake as it's relatively easy to reach. But yeah... also crashing a couple of times each stage and way of the pace :D

Just keep practicing! :P

I had the day off yesterday, so I woke up, raced for three hours straight by accident, and then had breakfast at around 2PM. :lol:
Indeed, game is quite addictive as the cars, courses and graphics are so great. Gives you the urge to practice a lot more and become better, which is great for a limited game like the early access we have here. Imagine if more content get's added we will have our work cut out for us :dopey:

Damn he's good :bowdown:, and here I am 20+ seconds off the pace on the lowest difficulty crashing almost everywhere I go, still having an absolute blast though.
But he also knows perfectly the stage to put wheels slightly off-track where he knows he can. He even cut a turn the drirty way @ 4:14 on the video.

I whish Codemasters could generate (at least partly) random stages, Daily Events still allow a player to train hours on a given stage before starting its try.

Interesting post on Codies blog about pacenotes: http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/04/co-driver-calls-explained/

I now realize why I have so much trouble adapting to RBR at first. RBR uses terms (flat/easy/medium) to describe corners, which is ambiguous and quite inaccurate a lot of the time. The Dirt system uses numbers (1=tight, 6=shallow) which is a lot more concrete and easier to remember when you're flying by trees at 100mph!

Yeah, RBR's pacenotes were bad. But there was a mod which allowed you to change to the number method. You got 2 (tightest) to 6 (shallowest), and you could make it go the other way around. But even then, they could be a bit iffy. At separate parts of the stages, I could honestly swear a 3 right would become more of a 2 right compared to the start of the stage.

Yeah, RBR's pacenotes were bad. But there was a mod which allowed you to change to the number method. You got 2 (tightest) to 6 (shallowest), and you could make it go the other way around. But even then, they could be a bit iffy. At separate parts of the stages, I could honestly swear a 3 right would become more of a 2 right compared to the start of the stage.
I've noticed that the forwards/backwards or uphill/downhill versions of each stage have different callouts for numbers to make up for how much faster you're going downhill than uphill.

Okay, I'm having some really annoying issues with the game.

I got the DS4 to work with running DS4Windows, but there is no throttle or brake variation with the Triggers, it's just On/Off. And it feels like the brakes are nonexistent.

Is it just me sucking and not being used to Dirt or what?

Okay, I'm having some really annoying issues with the game.

I got the DS4 to work with running DS4Windows, but there is no throttle or brake variation with the Triggers, it's just On/Off. And it feels like the brakes are nonexistent.

Is it just me sucking and not being used to Dirt or what?
I'd like to just recommend DS4Tool. Tricks 360 controller software into thinking the Ps4 controller isn't one.

I'd like to just recommend DS4Tool. Tricks 360 controller software into thinking the Ps4 controller isn't one.
I used DS3Tool before and hated it. Using DS4Windows now with my DS4, been using it with GTAV with flawless results. It may or may not be plug and play with Dirt Rally, some settings may need to be adjusted in the DS4Windows software.

Yeah, good point. I guess I am used to the modded stages that are much longer. The orig RBR stages were pretty short.

And yet nobody complained about those. I think we've got some double standards going on (just generally speaking) since this isn't Richard Burns Rally.

For the record, I find RBR baby easy modo (insano damage model aside) rally game in comparison to this. Yes, even on gamepad.

I wouldn't be throwing out recommendations like that, willy nilly. DS3/4Tool are seriously pervasive and potentially destructive drivers. I speak from experience.

Anything that requires anything to do with motioninjoy at any point is a dangerous proposition. I found it impossible to properly rid my system of motioninjoy when I used it merely as a means to an end (betterDS3 being that end). It corrupted the force feedback to wheels, and in the end I had to start my system from scratch to get my ffb to functiuon normally.

Until Sony controllers have first party support (if that ever happens), just bite the bullet and buy a 360 or X1 pad. Who knows what else motioninjoy may be doing to your system.

I wouldn't be throwing out recommendations like that, willy nilly. DS3/4Tool are seriously pervasive and potentially destructive drivers. I speak from experience.

Anything that requires anything to do with motioninjoy at any point is a dangerous proposition. I found it impossible to properly rid my system of motioninjoy when I used it merely as a means to an end (betterDS3 being that end). It corrupted the force feedback to wheels, and in the end I had to start my system from scratch to get my ffb to functiuon normally.

Until Sony controllers have first party support (if that ever happens), just bite the bullet and buy a 360 or X1 pad. Who knows what else motioninjoy may be doing to your system.
DS4 Tool is an XInput Wrapper and doesn't need MotionInJoy. You can even use the touchpad for the mouse, really neat tool: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4-To-XInput-Wrapper

Back