EA Sports WRC: General Discussion

• Thread starter xX Jojje Xx
  • 2,880 comments
Official gameplay reveal this week. Hoping we see a mix or surfaces and camera angles. Especially would like to see tarmac as the physics have been improved there. Looking forward to seeing it in proper action.
Agreed - I am very keen to see some tarmac gameplay! Comments from the developers to date are promising but the proof is in the pudding.

Looking very much forward to it too and I sincerely hope they can get rid of that 'pivoting' look and feel when using the external cameras 👍 a more 'natural' mouvement would be very much appreciated 👌

Really like the look of the gameplay. Nice to see the rally1 car looks so planted and nimble on the tarmac. Very promising stuff the stages look good too, especially Japan from those clips.

Also worth remembering the driver was Jon Armstrong who is a pro driver and helped develop the physics so there’s more than an element of intimate knowledge in his driving.

Those transitions between seasons were very well edited in the video. Nothing against Jonathan's voice acting but I think I'll be picking Kirsty as co-driver since her voice is higher than the engine tone and I don't have a 7.1 setup. I miss Phil Mills though :(

Last edited:
Those transitions between seasons were very well edited in the video. Nothing against Jonathan's voice acting but I think I'll be picking Kirsty as co-driver since her voice is higher than the engine tone and I don't have a 7.1 setup. I miss Phil Mills though :(
The season changes look good and it brings a nice variation. The stages as well seem narrow and challenging. As you I miss the co-driver and in my case Nicky ;)

The graphics look way better in this gameplay footage than in any of the previews before which is a good sign.

I wonder how much this game will kick my ass and frustrate the hell out of me. Based on the tight stages and my rally skills I assume quite a bit haha

The graphics look way better in this gameplay footage than in any of the previews before which is a good sign.

I wonder how much this game will kick my ass and frustrate the hell out of me. Based on the tight stages and my rally skills I assume quite a bit haha

Yeah I thought it looked really good. The rain looked a little odd but overall very impressed.

Stages, environments, weather and cars look great. The tarmac physics also look a lot better, although force feedback will be key. If anything he was driving so hard he almost pushed the physics model beyond of its comfort zone a couple of times, but either way looks great.

Bring on 3 November!

i thought the female voice sounded a bit "canned"

i thought the female voice sounded a bit "canned"
Maybe a little compared to Phil but at least I can hear her better over the engine roar. I'll probably be trying both co-drivers to see which suits me best.

I'm sure these new co drivers will be fine but I wonder why Nicky or Phil's services weren't retained?

Nicky hasn’t been involved for a while, Dirt 4 I think which was quite basic calls anyway because of the generated stages. Phil it sounds like made a few too many mistakes with the pace notes for their liking? Don’t know how true it is but Jon Armstrong mentioned it in an interview.

I dread the answer to this but I have to ask anyway:

When they say "triple-monitor support" do they mean the usual EA type "support" like in F1 23? Because frankly that's not triple-monitor support. It's just stretching the image across the 3 screens, which can be done in almost any game regardless of whether or not "triple-monitor support" is listed as a feature. I'm going to call this "stretch support" going forward.

The proper/real type of triple-monitor support can be found in games such as iRacing, AC, ACC, AMS2, where we are able to both adjust the angle of the side-monitors and apply bezel correction.

So, will EA Sports WRC have proper triple-monitor support or just stretch support?
@PJTierney
----------------------
Will there be true triple-screen support, with three separate images rendered individually and allowing for tripartite FOV and line-up between screens in a larger rig?
Gowing: It will be possible to run with three screens, of course, just like in Dirt Rally and Dirt Rally 2.0, but it's a wide Ultra Wide image across all three screens rather than what you're referring to.
----------------------

There we go. So just lying-through-teeth and false marketing then.

I feel like this guy:

FYI, I spotted this video last night (and the reddit thread from last Friday) and passed them on to the relevant team(s), thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Really good car list, im sure lot of cool fun differently challenging cars in there.
Too bad the old Citroën isn't there, i kinda liked the change of pace, and the modern gt3 Porsche.

Obviously a must have, unless the feel is somehow screwed, although i still love dr2 and have a lot to do in it..

Only thing i notice is, stages seem really narrow, for me i prefer the opposite, makes it more a fun challenge pushing with the handling, room to push, as opposed to just follow perfectly the road arcade style.

Plus makes you have different ways to tackle a stage, depending on your set-up, style, car, conditions.
And to figure out the best lines.

Edit: in that latest Monday gameplay video, sound feels a little boring for me, maybe just the video and listening on my cell..

Some other complaints here i agree too, co-driver a bit bland, movement, we'll see i guess.

And hope roads are bumpy, have bumpy connecting different road surfaces, obstacles..

And feel is a lively challenge like in dr2.

In wrc10, the landing of jumps even in older cars is unchallenging, controlled.
Hope it's not closer to that in wrc..

Edit2: that gameplay is obviously with a gamepad, makes it look really less natural in movement, control, maybe has assists on too.

Did listen on my tv with headphones, its good but doesn't seem at the level of historic cars in dr2, i dont know.

The ue to me isn't a plus, hope no loading/streaming stutters and pop-ups.
Also really hope there's a good 60fps mode on ps5.

Last edited:
I didn't like the driving video... too much grip on wet gravel. Skid like in Dirt 4... an oversteer that is instantly corrected, making it easier. Are they really going to leave aside the most incredible loose field physics that the industry has seen and that DR 2.0 had? It would be a shame.

I didn't like the driving video... too much grip on wet gravel. Skid like in Dirt 4... an oversteer that is instantly corrected, making it easier. Are they really going to leave aside the most incredible loose field physics that the industry has seen and that DR 2.0 had? It would be a shame.
Have to say I'm not sure I agree with the too much grip thing from the video. The Skoda was getting plenty loose on the wet gravel, definitely nothing like Dirt 4. It is always worth remembering as well that these gameplay videos were driven by a professional rally driver and ERC3 champion who has consulted on the physics of the game, on presumably a pretty high end wheel rig, so there will always be an element of the driving looking pretty effortless owing to his skill. Plenty of looseness to my eyes.

It'll be interesting to compare it to controller gameplay played by someone who isn't intimate with the games physics and isn't a pro driver, I think that's when we'll start truly seeing the games physics get exposed. Or of course when we go hands on, videos can only convey so much.

Have to say I'm not sure I agree with the too much grip thing from the video. The Skoda was getting plenty loose on the wet gravel, definitely nothing like Dirt 4. It is always worth remembering as well that these gameplay videos were driven by a professional rally driver and ERC3 champion who has consulted on the physics of the game, on presumably a pretty high end wheel rig, so there will always be an element of the driving looking pretty effortless owing to his skill. Plenty of looseness to my eyes.

It'll be interesting to compare it to controller gameplay played by someone who isn't intimate with the games physics and isn't a pro driver, I think that's when we'll start truly seeing the games physics get exposed. Or of course when we go hands on, videos can only convey so much.
I agree with you on many points. The fact is that on wet gravel, DR 2.0 is so incredible and slides so much that in this video it seemed to me that it was too close to the ground. It is also true that cars in reality (and especially that new Skoda) are cars with incredible grip. Watching videos is not playing. I agree on that point.

With Dirt 4 they told us that it would be a worthy successor to DR and look what happened... I hope the same thing doesn't happen. The gravel and snow physics of DR and DR 2.0 are ahead of their time. Something unprecedented that should not be forgotten.

I agree with you on many points. The fact is that on wet gravel, DR 2.0 is so incredible and slides so much that in this video it seemed to me that it was too close to the ground. It is also true that cars in reality (and especially that new Skoda) are cars with incredible grip. Watching videos is not playing. I agree on that point.

With Dirt 4 they told us that it would be a worthy successor to DR and look what happened... I hope the same thing doesn't happen. The gravel and snow physics of DR and DR 2.0 are ahead of their time. Something unprecedented that should not be forgotten.
Are you playing some heavily modded version of DR 2.0? Because what you're describing sounds nothing like the DR2 I've played :lol:

I would've thought a game which was developed by the same team which made DiRT Rally 2.0 would be far more likely to be a worthy successor to that game than one like DiRT 4 which wasn't, so I don't think how 4 turned out is any kind of proof that EA Sports WRC won't deliver.

I wonder how much the assists affect how much the cars slide around on wet gravel and snow. Hopefully a lot.

Eh, RBR is 20 years old now, that game was surpassed years ago.
If I'm honest... I didn't even like it when it went on sale. It was (and is) a game with very difficult controls that someone said or interpreted that it was "simulation" and that urban legend spread like wildfire. Codemasters was always ahead of its time. But hey... my intention is not to dirty the thread with a Dirt vs RBR, far from it. Only for me, RBR is just a difficult but not realistic game.

If I'm honest... I didn't even like it when it went on sale. It was (and is) a game with very difficult controls that someone said or interpreted that it was "simulation" and that urban legend spread like wildfire. Codemasters was always ahead of its time. But hey... my intention is not to dirty the thread with a Dirt vs RBR, far from it. Only for me, RBR is just a difficult but not realistic game.
I think when you take it for it's time it was pretty dam realistic, in 2004 it had no equal really, aside from maybe Rally Trophy, although that was focussed purely on classic rally. I loved RBR, played it to death for years, had some fantastic stages as well which were all based on real roads and rallies.

I think nowadays it gets mentioned too often, see it over on the Dirt Rally Discord as well. I know it's been heavily modded now but modded games cannot be compared to retail games, especially when console players will never get to see or play the modded versions.

Back