EA Sports WRC: General Discussion

• Thread starter xX Jojje Xx
  • 3,149 comments
They've really ruined the game with the 1.4 update for me, on PS5.
Pre 1.4, I was in love with this game. Only problem I encountered was the choppy camera pan of the car before and after a stage. Nothing major.

Now on 1.4, its unplayable on PS5.
Drops frames left and right, it stutters, and the screen tearing is SO bad. Its headache inducing, and sometimes you cant even see where to go anymore.

All of these problems weren't there for me before 1.4 (have logged about 60 hours pre 1.4) but now its downright horrible.

Such a shame we live in a world where a product can get worse after purchase and after you've been enjoying it a month and a half.
Hopefully they'll fix these major issues pretty quickly

I must be lucky with my update on PS5 as it has been running fine for me, had a few frame drops in the village section of Corsica but other than that it has been pretty much fine
Have ran various clubs and stages in many different locations and conditions
I did get the career mode crash though when loading my save, though I'm not too bothered, barely have enough time to keep up with just clubs and moments anyway

Unfortunately, the timing just sucks and it's not a quick fix either 😥

Better to be transparent about it now (considering it's a game-breaking issue) than leave people hanging, but it's not a good situation to be in, I agree.

This doesn't diminish the importance of the game's other core issues (surrounding performance), but widespread crashes and save wipes are a tier above those, which is why this hotfix is being worked on.

Also, to clarify: a hotfix in Codemasters language means an unplanned patch.

Most patches are planned several months in advance and refined as deadlines get closer.

A hotfix on the other-hand is a "what is the fastest possible time we can do to deal with a specific, critical issue", essentially.

This is not v1.5.0 or an opportunity to throw in as many fixes as possible, it's to fix these two specific issues.

It does not mean that other issues are being ignored.

Last edited:
Very glad to see some good clear communication and transparency. Especially when it's rough enough news that it won't be fixed till mid January.
Very disappointing (especially for ps5 owners) but understandable.
I just hope in the end the game will be out for a good long time and end up being really polished and live up to its potential.

It’s a shame it feels so far away, but I guess with Christmas and new year, that’s just how it goes, they couldn’t plan for this issue happening and it just sucks for them that it happened when it did. Easy to understand the frustration though.

Plus the console patch certification, it isn’t a helpful system for developers at a normal time of year, I bet at this time of year it’ll be nigh on impossible.

Yeah, I suspect the console certification is the big obstacle here - assuming it still takes two working weeks or so, that process is only going to start at the beginning of next year as the people who certify it won't be working over Xmas. If anything, estimating mid-January says to me that Codies more or less have the fix in place already and are now just crunching to get it submitted to be certified first thing in the new year. It's a shame we can't get a beta branch on Steam as soon as it's done, but I think that would just annoy EA and the many console players who would prefer feature parity!

I have the career problem, sucks to know that I guess the career mode progress is gone. Since the patch I started a new season in Championship mode for WRC2. Actually been enjoying it quite a bit. Honestly didn't notice a whole lot of difference in performance. Maybe I am used to the periodic stuttering on PC.

Just ran through the long Chile stage for the first time and man that was a chore. I think my concentration peaked like 8 mins in and I looked at my dash and it said like 27% complete or something and my heart just sank...I think I ended up spinning or ran off the road at least 3 times and actually missed a call and ran into a fence once. But didn't want to restart and just kept going. Nearing the last 30% I think I was definitely not concentrated anymore and the tires are not working as they did in the beginning and it was just about surviving the rest...That was a lot...

Last edited:
This is probably a daft question but I’m going to ask anyway - can this patch not just be reversed? I know it’s tricky because it would probably mean removing the CER again but I’m sure most people would rather just be able to enjoy playing it over Christmas, then re-release the patch/fixes/CER when it’s actually in a fit state to release without screwing the game up.

This patch has ruined people’s career games, brought back nasty performance issues and for what? I couldn’t care less about foliage density or 30km of new road, personally.

Last edited:

Better to be transparent about it now (considering it's a game-breaking issue) than leave people hanging, but it's not a good situation to be in, I agree.

This doesn't diminish the importance of the game's other core issues (surrounding performance), but widespread crashes and save wipes are a tier above those, which is why this hotfix is being worked on.

Also, to clarify: a hotfix in Codemasters language means an unplanned patch.

Most patches are planned several months in advance and refined as deadlines get closer.

A hotfix on the other-hand is a "what is the fastest possible time we can do to deal with a specific, critical issue", essentially.

This is not v1.5.0 or an opportunity to throw in as many fixes as possible, it's to fix these two specific issues.

It does not mean that other issues are being ignored.
Well, kudos for listening, taking feedback seriously and generally being on the ball at least. That means a lot.

Certainly miles better than Bethesda's approach of gaslighting people's Steam reviews. :lol:

This is probably a daft question but I’m going to ask anyway - can this patch not just be reversed? I know it’s tricky because it would probably mean removing the CER again but I’m sure most people would rather just be able to enjoy playing it over Christmas, then re-release the patch/fixes/CER when it’s actually in a fit state to release without screwing the game up.

This patch has ruined people’s career games, brought back nasty performance issues and for what? I couldn’t care less about foliage density or 30km of new road, personally.
Unfortunately not that easy, as servers and peoples' save games etc. are all tied to 1.4.

Also, rolling back a patch would also likely take a few weeks on a few platforms given the time of year it is.

Speaking of timing that sucks, I'm officially on annual leave now for the next 4 weeks.

Grinded myself pretty hard this year on F1, WRC and NFS, so am taking almost my entire year of PTO in one big chunk.

EA forums team is still around of course and always will be, and I come to GTP in my spare time for fun, so it's not like I'm ghosting the place.

I don't "officially" work when I'm here anyway, I'm just one of those guys that grew up on forums and can't leave :)

Last edited:
Speaking of timing that sucks, I'm officially on annual leave now for the next 4 weeks.

Grinded myself pretty hard this year on F1, WRC and NFS, so am taking almost my entire year of PTO in one big chunk.

EA forums team is still around of course and always will be, and I come to GTP in my spare time for fun, so it's not like I'm ghosting the place.

I don't "officially" work when I'm here anyway, I'm just one of those guys that grew up on forums and can't leave :)
Well deserved 👏🏻. And thanks for everything you do and have done in your work capacity.

It is a very nice feeling to have a good chunk of time off this time of year. I’ll be off until around the 10th/11th January after today.

It’s a shame it feels so far away, but I guess with Christmas and new year, that’s just how it goes, they couldn’t plan for this issue happening and it just sucks for them that it happened when it did. Easy to understand the frustration though.

Plus the console patch certification, it isn’t a helpful system for developers at a normal time of year, I bet at this time of year it’ll be nigh on impossible.

On the selfish side of things, my Xbox experience hasn’t suffered like PS5 users seem to have suffered, my career didn’t break and the clubs are strong. Plus I get my new glasses early January so I’ll be able to see the game properly by the time the fix comes as well which will be nice.
They couldn’t plan for this issue happening? Don’t they test their patches before they release them? It’s kinda hard to miss.

Agreed. There is no urgency to release a patch if it just breaks other prominent aspects. Why didn’t they just wait and make sure it’s an improvement? It seems companies have such a huge disconnect from their customers or even reality sometimes.

They couldn’t plan for this issue happening? Don’t they test their patches before they release them? It’s kinda hard to miss.
Of course they can’t plan for an unforeseen issue. It also hasn’t affected everyone which makes it tougher to test. It didn’t affect me for example.

Of course they can’t plan for an unforeseen issue. It also hasn’t affected everyone which makes it tougher to test. It didn’t affect me for example.
It did affect you, (the career breaking bug) but you just didn’t care about it. Does EA just have one Xbox in their QA department to test bugs? It seems a little strange don’t you think? A huge company with no way to test their consumer products.

Last edited:
It did affect you, (the career breaking bug) but you just didn’t care about it. Does EA just have one Xbox in their QA department to test bugs? It seems a little strange don’t you think? A huge company with no way to test their consumer products.
It really didn’t affect me, I do care because I play career and have been able to continue doing so since the patch 👍🏻.

I guess it makes sense why you’re so positive about the game then. Just understand you’re in the tiny minority.
The career bug is the only thing that's affecting me at the moment. Clubs, moments and championships all work fine for me so I don't feel like having a go at the devs right now. All I asked for was official confirmation, and we got it. I'm not expecting them to cancel their Christmas just to get it fixed two weeks quicker.

Last edited:
40% off on PSN:

Screenshot_20231220-124305.png

Received a notice upon booting up the game acknowledging the recent Career issues with a fix planned. So basically an advisement to Career mode users to proceed at their own risk. I’m not touching Career until the patch.

Also interestingly, my level number (located in top right of main menu screen) was reset today. Was 16, now it’s back to 2 after today’s session.

Just for clarity, according to the news posts from Codemasters, the bug is with certain benefactor objectives in later career seasons, so it requires the player to be in the second season or later, and it sounds like the chance of being affected is different depending on the major championship that the player has entered. There are a lot of players who won't have encountered the bug when 1.4 was released, but may end up being caught by it in later seasons of their career.

It does sound like a pain to test for as it would require testers to complete multiple seasons to reproduce. It's also worth noting that EA recently laid off a number of staff at Codemasters after the release of WRC, most of whom were reportedly QA, which I'm sure hasn't helped the situation.

I haven't even looked at career mode yet, so not been affected. Tbh I'm having a blast on series X and apart from the occasional audio stutter and some sketchy Rwd tarmac handling it's been a great experience so far

Latest Posts

Back