Engine Swap / Drivetrain Swap

• Thread starter Brainhulk
  • 466 comments

Should engine/drivetrain swaps be in included in GT55?

• include both engine and drivetrain swaps

Votes: 406 61.9%
  • engine swap only

Votes: 88 13.4%
  • drivetrain swap only

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • Neither, just release the game already

Votes: 52 7.9%
  • I don't want engine or drivetrain swaps at all, they do not belong in Gran Turismo series heritage a

Votes: 103 15.7%

• Total voters
Why don't they just throw in a car builder while there at it. I've had fun with them in Forza but I would much prefer them left out. If you don't like the stock engine buy a different car, there are plenty to choose from.

Yay and neh.

AWD Vipers dominated R3 in Forza (I didn't race online much-just tag mostly).

BUT I say if it's a manufacturer option or if the car can sport it, then yes, allow certain options.

I would like to see both but with reasonable limitations. I mean, they can't allow you to fit a V8 in a VW beetle :lol:

>_> I'd prefer if they were going to introduce something like this they'd keep it simple and allow some of the popular swaps people do. No RB26DETTs in Mustangs if you know what I mean...

>_> I'd prefer if they were going to introduce something like this they'd keep it simple and allow some of the popular swaps people do. No RB26DETTs in Mustangs if you know what I mean...

Yeah I can agree with that. The more common swaps would be cool and pretty realistic, but major swaps that change the location of the motor or changing the transmissions layout would be too much. It would eventually blur the lines between each distinct vehicle and we would be left with all cars being oddly fast and somewhat bastardized.

Seeing as GT is a car museum of sorts I dont imagine they'll include swaps.

It's over the top for me.

In GT4 most of my tuned cars were tuned with suspension (to allow for adjustments), gearbox (to allow for adjustments), maybe a stage 1 weight reduction and a little engine tuning if a little more 'oomph' was desireable.
Only in rare cases did I go for a full tuning.

It would only make sense if there were engine failures to have engine and tansmission changes otherwise at this stage where the full game is about to be released there is really no point in suggesting such a thing, but maybe for GT6 if Kaz decides to do so.

In that case let's get rid of all the tuning, at the end of the day your only interested in the simulation of the car and it's only ever simulated best when it's stock.

Sure, infact I love play with a little tune up, and sometimes with no change. If I want to tuning something I play with NFS, engien swap in real world in possible only out of races.

To all of those who say it's unrealistic or doesn't have a place within a simulator like GT, here's prove it's done in real life on road cars.
Not only by a "crazy amateur build in a shed" but by professional tuning firms.
It's a question of perception I guess, do you only want the ability you have in real life when playing GT ( assuming most here don't own a professional tuning firm ) or can you, like me, imagine adopting the role of a professional tuner in a game like GT ( it's still foremost just a game ) just like GT5 is offering to adopt the role of team owner/manager in the new B-spec mode ( which most here probably also aren't in real life ).

Here's a BMW Z4 tuned by Hartge which has its engine swapped for a V10 from the M5.

hartge-bmw-z4-v10-001_100190946_m.jpg

Here's the C-class based Brabus Bullit with the Brabus tuned V12 engine they put in almost any Mercedes-Benz if the engine bay is large enough.

brabus_bullit_3.jpg

Whether you would desire a V10 or V12 into a much smaller car not designed for this option is up to you but don't claim it's unrealistic or doesn't have a place in a simulator.

Last edited:
I'd like to see engine swaps in there, not sure about 'drivetrain swaps' though. Assuming that the OP means changing the basic layout (FWD to RWD etc.) then I'm not keen on that. I know that it's possible to do in real life (done it myself a couple of times and considering doing another at the moment) but it's a massive job which is generally only really done as an engineering exercise, not for motorsport. I would only like to see drivetrain swaps where they involve improvements with the current layout (limited slip diff's, uprated/sequential 'boxes etc).

Sure, infact I love play with a little tune up, and sometimes with no change. If I want to tuning something I play with NFS, engien swap in real world in possible only out of races.

No there are various classes of races that allow it with capacity and aspiration limits.

Hi, first time poster, been lurking around these forums since March or so, decided to join up last month as the release date was finally nearly upon us.

Out of curiosity, I wonder how many of the people who are totally against the idea of engine swaps, and say they are unrealistic, have actually had any first hand experience with modifying cars?

Engine swaps are a wonderful thing in real life, why would you not want to experience that in-game? Many of my friends (myself included) have an interest in modifying cars, and I'm not just talking about a set of alloys and lowering springs, I'm talking the full works, engine swaps, turbo conversions etc. Now, not many of them are interested in games, but I asked them what they would think of being able to transfer what they did to their cars in real life, into a game. They though it would be a great idea.

So if real modifiers are all for the idea, why are these armchair modifiers* so against it?

I understand that people are afraid of it turning into Forza, where the AWD swapped cars are King of the leaderboards. I had as much fun as anybody on that game doing fantasy swaps that couldn't happen in real life, but it did get quite tiresome from the AWD cars having a huge advantage online. But if it is limited to realistic/drivetrain swaps only in GT5, I don't see the problem. For example, swapping a K20a engine and gearbox into my crx, changing AWD Skylines to only run RWD, these are the sort of thing that would be welcome to the game IMO. If people want to race in standard tune cars online, allow them to customise the lobby so as forbid modifications.

Or is this problem more to do with the fact that Forza has it, leading to people just flat out dismissing it. Same as the Livery Editor, I feel the main reason people don't want it is because Forza has it and they are too blinded by loyalty/fanboyism that they want nothing to do with it, saying that it's "un-pure", yet are still happy to drive cars like the Blitz ER34 Skyline which is plastered in decals.

* By saying "armchair modifiers", I don't mean any malice, I just couldn't think of anyway to describe people who have no experience of modifying a car outside of a game. No harm intended.

I think drivetrain swaps and engine swaps are very realistic and should be added.
I'm a fan of VW so both swaps are heard of quite common in the VW community.
HPA, a well known VW tuning company swaps the 3.6L VR6 engine in to the new Scirocco and adds twin turbo chargers and the AWD drivetrain from an R32 4motion golf.
I've met a person with a GTI that swapped the R32 drivetrain in to it to change it from FWD to AWD. There is also a tuning company in Quebec that does AWD and R32 engine swaps into all generations of VW jetta's and golf's.
Its very common among the MK2 and MK3 vw's to have VR6's from newer generations swapped in.

Even outside of Volkswagen, Lots of people swap Nissan's RB26DETT and SR20DET engines into other Nissans that didnt come with them. In my city there is an old 300z with an RB26DETT swapped in to it. People with Skyline GTS-T's can also use the drivetrain from a Skyline GTR to make it AWD.

I love the Gran Turismo series very much, but engine swaps were one of the features i've always felt we were missing out on.

A big yes please to this. Adding the Focus ST lump to a Fiesta in FM3 was a lot of fun. With ever-decreasing engine sizes, it's great that gaming could let us continue to experience big engines in small cars, or different engines in cars with one set engine type (V6 S2000 for example), even if it is only virtually. Considering the transplants created in the real world, I'd argue with time and effort, anything could be done. MG managed to create a RWD Mustang in the body of a Rover 75 on an absolute shoestring in production terms, and that doesn't account for one-offs created in garages across the globe.

Best Motoring's test of the E36 with the F20C is one of my favourites, just for the concept.

EDIT: As for drivetrain swaps and the physical nature, more and more FWD cars are being built with trans tunnels, simply because platforms are being used for more applications worldwide. GM's Epsilon had a trans tunnel, despite only the Saab 93 spin-off having used 4WD and the chassis used for the Opel/Vauxhall Astra G of '98 appears to have one too and I'm not aware of that chassis having been used for a 4WD application.

Last edited:
IMHO it should be in the game but kept realistically. You can only do whats been done before or whats logical. The 1st 2 forzas were more realistic with it then than the 3rd.

Yeah, the 110s is in GT4 so it should be in GT5 as a standard at least.

But the 110S is only a 2-rotor 10A / 10B (?).

I think he mentioned the Cosmo because later models had that glorious 3-rotor :dopey:

EDIT: found where that image came from (accidentally...) It's an FD! So, somebody stole a 3-rotor from somewhere... (wink wink, nudge nudge)

But the 110S is only a 2-rotor 10A / 10B (?).

I think he mentioned the Cosmo because later models had that glorious 3-rotor :dopey:

EDIT: found where that image came from (accidentally...) It's an FD! So, somebody stole a 3-rotor from somewhere... (wink wink, nudge nudge)

The 110 is the only "cosmo" I think we've seen in previous games. Doubt we'll see others.

Latest Posts

Back