Engine Swaps in Gran Turismo 7? New Screenshots Raise New Questions

• Thread starter Famine
  • 461 comments
I’ve yet to see what happens when you select “buy new engine”, is it solely a reset engine, or does it somehow put an engine in your inventory?

This is just the "new engine" car part. The thing that restores the car's engine to its original unmodified state. Engine swaps aren't part of the game yet, even though I did just see (hear) two 4-rotor RX-7's in a race, along with that fast Beetle.

They might be part of the "new tuning parts" update.

Last edited:
Seems an unfinished feature.

Relax, enjoy the ton of content we have already and wait for an update.
technically.. We have no idea how many cars have engine swops... maybe that's what PD wants, that we don't know it's an unfinished feature lol

So make them unlockable by winning 100 races, or by golding all licenses and driving missions, or by owning all 424 cars. Or whatever.

Make them rare by achievement and progression, not by random luck.
I always liked Tokyo Xtreme Racer's approach of driving a certain amount of miles to unlock them, but only for that car.

This is just the "new engine" car part. The thing that restores the car's engine to its original unmodified state. Engine swaps aren't part of the game yet, even though I did just see (hear) two 4-rotor RX-7's in a race, along with that fast Beetle.

They might be part of the "new tuning parts" update.
They are. That's what we're talking about. You can only win them in roulettes.

Last edited:
Engine replacement is only to restore the car's own factory engine. For example, if you get a new Viper engine, you can only replace it in another Viper. That's how I understood it. Apparently, the engines wear out. The Porsche-powered Beetle must be a special model.

Roulettes are just a way for you to win a new part or new engine for free, which can only be used on the specific car. That's what I understood.

Last edited:
Engine replacement is only to restore the car's own factory engine. For example, if you get a new Viper engine, you can only replace it in another Viper. That's how I understood it. Apparently, the engines wear out. The Porsche-powered Beetle must be a special model.

Roulettes are just a way for you to win a new part or new engine for free, which can only be used on the specific car. That's what I understood.
No, you can win certain engines (full part) that are compatible with certain cars... That's the way it is, and why those RX7 sounded different on that event

tbh.....

I'd like if they had like a wrecking yard or a section of GT Auto with a rotating inventory of parts, engines, etc. I don't mind having scarcity in the game (it makes things a little more interesting than say, GT6) but I do think there's more better ways of doing it than the roulette system.

What the hell....

Please someone needs to tell Kaz we'd even pay a million credits for an engine swop, if it meant we can click on it in the parts section :/
This would just end up with them making more money from the microtransactions credit packs as people desperate for that engine swap will pay them cash.

*Also breaks the economic immersion if a 911 cost $150k while it's engine for a swap cost around a million 😏

Am I the only one who thinks it's kinda cool how you can only get an engine through the roulette? It makes the whole thing feel more unique and special. And you don't really need to swap engines at all, it's not like not having any engines to swap blocks you from going through the game. I like when games have some rare content which may take a while to get.
I don't think its cool, its annoying and the odds are stupid for anything you want. I would rather grind to pay for 50,000+ credit engine swaps than to grind for tickets that give you a high chance of little money. PD are very capable of let you buying new ideas directly like the Interior Gauges in GT6 (I bet a lot of people forgot that was a feature and should brought back).

At least it's not like, you'd have to use the engine right away on your current car after you earned it such as, you use a compartible car you have to change its engine right away or the engine disappears, or that you use a non-compartible car and the engine disappears as you can't use it.

The engine can be stored and used anytime.
Looked in the extreme part of tuning and there was a engine for the Nissan siviai i was using so I think you guys are missing a trick

Jesus christ, it's the single-use paint chip nonsense all over again. While PD clearly has a deep understanding of cars, it seems they have very little idea of the concept of 'fun'.

I was already off the train thanks to the F2P microtransaction implementation and the single player progression being locked behind an always-online requirement; this just adds to the reasons not to come back. PD's game design ethos is flawed to say the least; you would have thought they'd have learned something by now, as these aren't exactly mistakes they haven't made before.

Unfortunately it's unlikely that enough of the fanbase is going to stand up and complain in order to get this changed, given that virtually no-one is complaining about F2P mechanics and arbitrary locks as it is.

Time to find a new way to scratch my racing itch.

Jesus christ, it's the single-use paint chip nonsense all over again. While PD clearly has a deep understanding of cars, it seems they have very little idea of the concept of 'fun'.

I was already off the train thanks to the F2P microtransaction implementation and the single player progression being locked behind an always-online requirement; this just adds to the reasons not to come back. PD's game design ethos is flawed to say the least; you would have thought they'd have learned something by now, as these aren't exactly mistakes they haven't made before.

Unfortunately it's unlikely that enough of the fanbase is going to stand up and complain in order to get this changed, given that virtually no-one is complaining about F2P mechanics and arbitrary locks as it is.

Time to find a new way to scratch my racing itch.
If you don't like the paint chip then just use the Select Colour option (or even better, Colour Picker) in Livery Editor? (the paint chip is in the Special Color menu)
1646556335829.png

1646556415732.png

Paint chip isn't the only way to paint your car in this game, this is just a lie (stand up and complain for what? spreading false info?) and senseless (irrational) negativity.

Last edited:
If you don't like the paint chip then just use the Select Colour option (or even better, Colour Picker) in Livery Editor? (the paint chip is in the Special Color menu)
View attachment 1120515
View attachment 1120517
Paint chip isn't the only way to paint your car in this game, this is just a lie (stand up and complain for what? spreading false info?) and senseless (irrational) negativity.
I was talking about when they were first implemented, in GT5. Your post does show that PD can learn from their mistakes; it's just a shame they keep repeating them with other aspects of the game.

[e] As for my negativity, it's neither senseless nor irrational. This is a game selling for £15 more than other top titles, that uses F2P monetization tactics and tricks, has the single player locked behind an always-online requirement, and the multiplayer locked behind a subscription to another service (PS+). One or two of these things might be ok (we all accept that a PS+ subscription is required, for example) but when considered together it really shows just how far the series has fallen.

That there's not been more of a kickback from the fanbase astounds me.

Last edited:
Wonder if PD will add drivetrain swaps or disable 4WD. Maybe a torque split 100% front or rear. Not so much as start seeing Coyote swapped Focus RS rear wheel drive projects. Just thinking since PD have thought of adding these conversions, drivetrain tuning should be on the menu. Look at the four wheel steering upgrades. Are those really needed?

Paint chip isn't the only way to paint your car in this game,
It was in GT5, which is obviously what he was referring to; and PD charged for the pleasure of it then too.

and senseless (irrational) negativity.
"Microtransactions are good, actually"

Remember when having a livery editor would be against the Gran Turismo heritage and philosophy?
They can't put a livery editor in because all of the cars online will be covered with penises.

Last edited:
Absurd way to lock up a hugely desirable feature. So if you want to swap the LS1 into four different cars you've got to get lucky that firstly that specific engine even appears in a roulette and secondly that you actually win it four times, neither of which seem particularly likely odds.

Why do PD persist with silly ideas that bring down otherwise good ideas.
This,in a nutshell.its literally a lottery if you can do an engine swap in game!Hopefully they will address it in an update maybe?
For now this gets a big 💩 from me.

[e] As for my negativity, it's neither senseless nor irrational. This is a game selling for £15 more than other top titles, that uses F2P monetization tactics and tricks, has the single player locked behind an always-online requirement, and the multiplayer locked behind a subscription to another service (PS+). One or two of these things might be ok (we all accept that a PS+ subscription is required, for example) but when considered together it really shows just how far the series has fallen.

That there's not been more of a kickback from the fanbase astounds me.
To be specific I was refering to the paint chip part here. The reason for always online is said to avoid people from modifying and cheating with the save data for the game, but that can be implemented better true, like present liveries for Livery Editor.
It was in GT5, which is obviously what he was referring to; and PD charged for the pleasure of it then too.
He started the post with "it's the single-use paint chip nonsense all over again" so by the 3 last words I thought he was talking about GT7.
"Microtransactions are good, actually"
Strawman. :irked:

I think winning an engine from a ticket would be really cool, but having that be the only way to acquire them permanently would be utter madness, an engine shop had better be in the works.

In general, I see a lot of problems with acquisition so far. I've only just completed the Pan-American championship, mind you, but I don't see how anyone's expected to get, say, the F50. It's sitting in the Legend Cars dealership for 3,300,000 (and Hagerty says it's going up). If it's not a prize car, and I am supposed to win the spicy Mini race (or hopefully something else) until I have that money, it almost certainly won't even be there when I have it!

It's like they wanted to add a certain sense of deflating realism to looking at nice things and being reminded you'll probably never have them.

So.. we have to win the engine... and then? Can we use it one time or multiple /infinite times in compatible cars (like with the alloy wheels)?

Back