Europe - The Official Thread

Voting is underway, looks like a massive yes.

Edit.

It's a yes.

Last edited:
@Dotini I think you can give me that $1 USD now... :P

Greece's capitulation/humiliation is almost complete... it just remains for the other EU states to agree to the bailout package now, which is almost certain - there are still a few rumblings from those who think that Greece should be kicked out of the euro, but I seriously doubt they will stand in the way of the EU juggernaut at this late stage.

That said, once the bailout is signed, sealed and delivered, it remains to be seen as to what Greece actually do. My guess is that Tsipras will quit, and Greece will fail to deliver on much of their end of the bargain - partially because they never intended to deliver on some/most of it, and partially because they may not be able to, or the measures that the EU have demanded simply won't be enough to prevent Greece from slipping into an even worse depression - the damage is already done.

Last edited:
I'm feeling quite anxious as to what my government's stance will be. At this point, all I want is for them to stay consistent with what has been said before and oppose the bailout packages even if the other states vote it through.

If the other EU states are then angered by this, well, maybe Greece doesn't need our money and we can just begin the process of backing out of this failed union ourselves and regain full sovereignty... ;)

Good news!

Athens' stock market is open again after 5 weeks!

And it dropped like a stone. - 20%

The creditors have agreed with the new plan, and another €86 billion goes towards Greece.

Let's see how long Greece stays on the right track now that the money starts flowing again.

The creditors have agreed with the new plan, and another €86 billion goes towards Greece.

Hooray! That means I get paid this month, at last!

*Our budgets/salaries/money come from a sister company in Greece

Although I do hope this goes some way to alleviating Greece's problems. With all the international pressure, exposure and comment, it's high time the knuckleheads on all sides of the argument get their noggins together and get fixing. Balls to your national pride, balls to your point scoring, balls to your partisan politics, balls to your egos, balls to saving face. Balls to all of that. Throw out your ideologies and take this situation as it is. Get it done.

Wishful thinking? I can only hope not.

What did I say? Greece becomes a German state!

And it starts today! Germany has bought 14 airports for 1.2 Billion!

:lol:

The Greek election will be on the 20th of September. I imagine this is about shoring up external confidence in Greece as much as anything else... there are few remaining internal options.

Is it wrong that I kind of want to see Germany say "screw this" and start annexing territory in Europe again? You know they know they can do it. It is effectively meant to be an has been for a hundred years or more but it takes the entire rest of the world to keep them in check.

Is it wrong that I kind of want to see Germany say "screw this" and start annexing territory in Europe again? You know they know they can do it. It is effectively meant to be an has been for a hundred years or more but it takes the entire rest of the world to keep them in check.

I believe that I read somewhere that the German army isn't so powerful anymore, and that the French can actually stop them from doing that 4th Reich thingy.

Torygraph: Portugal prohibits left-wing Euroskeptic parties from forming government

The left-wing coalition has 50.7% of the electorate. The current governing right-wing coalition has just 38.5%.

It's in the 'national interest'.

Portuguese President insists that conservatives should soldier on as a minority in order to satisfy Brussels and appease foreign financial markets

Not sure how the general atmosphere is in other countries, but the immigration crisis is definitely fueling anti-European sentiments in The Netherlands. The Netherlands will have a referendum on the upcoming treaty with Ukraine, and I don't think the population is going to vote in favor of it, despite of massive pro-EU/treaty propaganda in the media.

And I honestly don't get peoples infatuation with people like Verhofstadt, it's well-known (and well documented) that he's a sock-puppet for the oil industry who has a personal interest in getting Ukraine into the EU. People like him and Van Baalen are really scary, they would drive the EU into war with Russia for their own benefits. I wish more people would see through this, Russia/Putin is not our enemy, the enemy is right here in the EU.

Torygraph: Portugal prohibits left-wing Euroskeptic parties from forming government

The left-wing coalition has 50.7% of the electorate. The current governing right-wing coalition has just 38.5%.

It's in the 'national interest'.

Jesus. Is that really the case? Even I find it hard to believe the situation isn't more nuanced than that - and I'm not exactly drinking out of my "the EU is a rather splendid thing for democracy isn't it" mug these days.......

So the governing centre-right party got the most seats, yes? I think in the UK if the incumbents were the largest party the convention would be to allow them to remain, either to form a coalition or a minority govt, even if it was clear a minority would force another election. Does Portugal have the same precedent, if any?

Russia/Putin is not our enemy, the enemy is right here in the EU.

latest

Last night as I was whistling past the graveyard, I was emboldened by the mantra that, no matter the horrors and tragedy resulting from our actions, they are justified by our intent to do good.

It looks like the Dutch are giving a big ass middle finger to the EU with their proposed Ukraine treaty.

64% votes against it. And it looks like the referendum will meet the 30% turnout.

👍
They will probably ignore the results, but me and my girlfriend voted no :)

Back