F40 horrible!

• Thread starter Sydbom
  • 153 comments
I will detune the engine and its still going to be crap. Its not the power.

Haha well it actually did make it easier to drive on brands hatch with only 249bhp in it, but mostly because I now couldnt reach high enough speeds to trouble the chassie.
Still twitchy in a way I can asure everybody that it isnt in real life!

To bad for a car that has such fantastic turn in.

Personally, the car feels heavier then I remember on GT5, though I was racing it around stock on the London track. A good suspension tune will free it up a bit more.

Personally, the car feels heavier then I remember on GT5, though I was racing it around stock on the London track. A good suspension tune will free it up a bit more.

Playing around with the suspension now, actually got down to my crazy driving time just adjusting the torsion bars and brake bias.
But cant find the reason for the very bad behavior under weight transfer.
But have tamed it slightly.

Have no issues with it here...drives as expected. My favorite car is the McLaren F1, so taming the F40 felt very similiar, as it is with these 90's supercars.
Got a 9:17 lap on the ring now, only lost it once under turning and braking geeeently, almost lost it during turn in to the last righthander before the long straight.
Managed to survive the turn on the straight by just gently downshifting and letting it enginebreak like somebody said.
Well it was a very boring lap!

As a person who has owned and driven a porsche 944 turbo during cold snowy swedish winter, with winter tires, without any crashing or lift of oversteer and braking turning into slides, well, its not very realistic handling on this car.

Driving around between 100-150km/h is ok but anything over that and the car is like 90% front end and 10% backend!

An F40 doesnt act like this!
If it did, everybody who ever took it out on an ordinary highway would be dead now!

Have no issues with it here...drives as expected. My favorite car is the McLaren F1, so taming the F40 felt very similar. I, too, have driven in the Swedish winter. In fact, I was born and raised in Sweden (Hence my name) so I can vouch for the more difficult driving conditions. I think if people are constantly telling you "Oh that's just how difficult the car is to drive" then we aren't really helping you solve the issue. There are many other cars that require a great deal of skill, too. Have you encountered this oversteer issue with any other car?

The F40 is well known for its turbo lag, so you MUST be careful when giving it a bootfull. Learn to exercise the power accordingly and stay away from spooling those bad boys up and unleashing hell in one instance. When you put your foot down in the real F40, you'll have to give it some time as the lag is horrible (I've witnessed it first hand, but wasn't behind the wheel) so don't expect wonders right away. "Look honey, I'm beating a Ferrari!" was a common joke back when the car came out due to the lag being so aggressive that you could "beat a Ferrari" in acceleration. Once the power is unleashed, however, it's a sudden explosion of excitement as the car transforms into a V2 rocket and pushes your inner organs to your spine. That's when you might break loose the rear. Play around with the anti-roll bars, stiffen the front up a bit, the brake bias, weight balance, and tailor the gear ratios to your liking. See if it helps.

Cheers!

Have no issues with it here...drives as expected. My favorite car is the McLaren F1, so taming the F40 felt very similiar, as it is with these 90's supercars.

Have no issues with it here...drives as expected. My favorite car is the McLaren F1, so taming the F40 felt very similar. I, too, have driven in the Swedish winter. In fact, I was born and raised in Sweden (Hence my name) so I can vouch for the more difficult driving conditions. I think if people are constantly telling you "Oh that's just how difficult the car is to drive" then we aren't really helping you solve the issue. There are many other cars that require a great deal of skill, too. Have you encountered this oversteer issue with any other car?

The F40 is well known for its turbo lag, so you MUST be careful when giving it a bootfull. Learn to exercise the power accordingly and stay away from spooling those bad boys up and unleashing hell in one instance. When you put your foot down in the real F40, you'll have to give it some time as the lag is horrible (I've witnessed it first hand, but wasn't behind the wheel) so don't expect wonders right away. "Look honey, I'm beating a Ferrari!" was a common joke back when the car came out due to the lag being so aggressive that you could "beat a Ferrari" in acceleration. Once the power is unleashed, however, it's a sudden explosion of excitement as the car transforms into a V2 rocket and pushes your inner organs to your spine. That's when you might break loose the rear. Play around with the anti-roll bars, stiffen the front up a bit, the brake bias, weight balance, and tailor the gear ratios to your liking. See if it helps.

Cheers!

There is no trouble at all with the power delivery, in fact, thats what keeps the car stable most of the time. Its direction changes and slowing down thats the problem.
Tried a couple of settings from gt5, but nothing makes the car fun to drive or even driveable.

Cant stand it anymore. Its half past four in the morning and this crap car has ruined my nights sleep.

There is no trouble at all with the power delivery, in fact, thats what keeps the car stable most of the time. Its direction changes and slowing down thats the problem.
Tried a couple of settings from gt5, but nothing makes the car fun to drive or even driveable.

Cant stand it anymore. Its half past four in the morning and this crap car has ruined my nights sleep.

Haha, sorry to hear that. Hmm, I'm not sure what the culprit could be.
The direction changes? Are you referring to the weight transfer of the car? I'll hop onto GT6 when I get home and try out the F40 again. I really had no issues with it :/

F40 handled like crap in GT5 of course it will handle like crap in GT6. Buy the GT3 Z4 that will put a smile on your face & 100k less.

F40 handled like crap in GT5 of course it will handle like crap in GT6. Buy the GT3 Z4 that will put a smile on your face & 100k less.

I really wish I knew that a couple of hours ago :)

Did a last comparison between the f40, a miata touring car and pagani hyoyra ( cant bother to spell it right ) on sports soft.
And the hyuora really shows that there is something fundamentally wrong with the f40 in the game!
Its got grip!

Haha, sorry to hear that. Hmm, I'm not sure what the culprit could be.
The direction changes? Are you referring to the weight transfer of the car? I'll hop onto GT6 when I get home and try out the F40 again. I really had no issues with it :/

Drive it on brands hatch! The small one.
Yes, weight transfer seems to be bad.

Just read a little in the thread about the stratos.
That car is actually very driveable and fun compared to the F40.
Somebody there suggests to use leftfot braking, an old rally trick, and I tried that on the f40 a couple of hours ago and it didnt work!!!
Its a foolproof way of making a tailhappy car to calm down, but when that dont even work you know there is something very wrong here!
Gotta try if it works on the stratos tomorrow.

I really wish I knew that a couple of hours ago :)

Did a last comparison between the f40, a miata touring car and pagani hyoyra ( cant bother to spell it right ) on sports soft.
And the hyuora really shows that there is something fundamentally wrong with the f40 in the game!
Its got grip!
Huayra.

It's only what, some 20 years newer, with active aerodynamics, as well as a more advanced suspension set up. You can't expect a twin-turbo V8 straight out of hell to put it's power down as well as current top of the line machines.

You could try a tune, maybe try tweaking the LSD, rear suspension, and as someone else said, the brake bias.

Huayra.

It's only what, some 20 years newer, with active aerodynamics, as well as a more advanced suspension set up. You can't expect a twin-turbo V8 straight out of hell to put it's power down as well as current top of the line machines.

You could try a tune, maybe try tweaking the LSD, rear suspension, and as someone else said, the brake bias.

Its not power to the ground!

Its pure handling issue.
Tried lsd, and brake, and suspension tuning, but nothing makes it good.

It's a 90's supercar that's been force-fed pure power and literally held together with bathroom sealant. It doesn't even have electric windows. What were you expecting?
I found it quite enjoyable.
What Cosbuster said.

I drove it in the mission race and had no issues.

I did too, and absolutely loved the challenge it presents. It's quite fun fighting with this car!

Soft racing wheels!

I haven't got GT6 yet, but if it was GT5 I'd advice you to try sports, or even comfort tyres. Racing tyres have a lot of grip, but when you lose it you lose it all. With harder compounds, the difference between grip/no grip isn't as dramatic.

You'll be slower, of course, but you'll get a better feel for the car.

Watch your speed, the F40 has peculiar ratios and in GT5 it was hard to gauge the speed by ear, if that makes sense. You also need to give the tyres time to warm up - you can't throw it around so it takes a while for the them to come in.

Your really making me want to blow 450k to find out now! One of my favourite cars too!

I've been luckier enough to drive one on a track day and part of a photoshoot round Brands Indy and GP respectively and the car is tamed on the track compared to the road. The standard road tyres though had deep treads and you could feel the car dancing on the blocks of the tyres mid corner, especially round Paddock. First thoughts were it needs proper Sport tyres like a 911 GT3 (like Michelin cup sports or something?). The general feel of the car is a mini-group C car but with less everything (power, aero but more weight of course) but it has a lovely predictable chassis and under steers only a little.... all relatively flat. When I drove my Golf back home after I thought the engine had been removed!

It would be amazing if PD bring out the F40 LM! Lining up against the XJ220 LM would be quality!

She can be difficult, that's the beauty. Learn how to handle the temperaments and it will treat you well. Throw in some disrespect and she will throw you into the wall:)

5ed7w.jpg

adjust cambertoe
brake in straight lines
dont downshift too quick or else lift off oversteer.
mind your accelerator

one word: finesse

Its a brilliant car!

The way you describe trying to controll the F40 in game seems to reflect what the car would be like in real life, if we just jumped in and tried to force things.
I have only used it online in GT5, a few shuffle races I believe, and it certainly was a handful. It was a lot of fun. I hope I get a shot of it in GT6.

Edit. Note to Polyphony: please give us some seasonal events with the F40.

Last edited:
Your really making me want to blow 450k to find out now! One of my favourite cars too!

I've been luckier enough to drive one on a track day and part of a photoshoot round Brands Indy and GP respectively and the car is tamed on the track compared to the road. The standard road tyres though had deep treads and you could feel the car dancing on the blocks of the tyres mid corner, especially round Paddock. First thoughts were it needs proper Sport tyres like a 911 GT3 (like Michelin cup sports or something?). The general feel of the car is a mini-group C car but with less everything (power, aero but more weight of course) but it has a lovely predictable chassis and under steers only a little.... all relatively flat. When I drove my Golf back home after I thought the engine had been removed!

It would be amazing if PD bring out the F40 LM! Lining up against the XJ220 LM would be quality!

First, big kudus!
Well the car dont have any understeer what so ever in the game, the front is like on rails.
So first reality vs gt6 problem right there.

And please people, dont buy it! I feel this thread is going into a dark place.... You are supposed to shy away from it you know.... :)

Yes you can drive it, either with some tuning and taking it VERY easy, or like a total hoooligan if you have a wheel you can do VERY fast steering corrections on, and that is exiting and all but for me its going to break my wheel and probably dislocate my shoulders.

But that is not the point, the point is that the car handles wrong compared to what it should.
Its one of THE drivers cars in history and that does not mean its hard to drive and you are a hero just surviving it.
It means it got a chassie with grip, feedback, adjustability, poise, finesse, "depth".

This is not it.

Compare it with the ruf rgt, THAT behaves in a manner it should.

As you say in swedish:
Gör om, gör rätt
Do it again, do it right!

The F40 was great in GT5, and is more difficult in GT6. Not as difficult as the Stratos, though.

Whether or not it's realistic, I don't know. It's definitely drivable. Just brake before you turn, counter-steer just a bit on the entry if needed, and then use the throttle to control it through the corner. It's kind of like drifting. You use the same techniques, but instead of holding the car sideways, you are just holding it straight.

The f40 is harder to drive than most cars, but it's extremely fast and rewarding once you learn its behavior and tame it.

Shift pressure slightly towards the front tires, there you'll find the cornering sweet spot that few cars can match.

Try using it with steering sensitivity higher, I use 7 for everything.
I imagine 200 degree steering instead of 900 would help too.

I can pretty much say this car's steering is done through its brakes, lol.
If you can trail brake very well, you'll be fast in the f40.

Last edited:
I found the F40 a weird and very difficult car to drive in GT5. My first big issue wasn't necessarily with the weight transfer or the stopping; simply the act of driving fast in a straight line caused it to wallow around like a big old barge. Sure, this was stock and without tuning, but I can barely think of another sports car in the game that behaved as badly in a straight line.

Even with tuning I never got to grips with it and found it hugely frustrating. I was hoping the better physics in GT6 might flatter it a bit more but the couple of drives I have had in it suggests it is just as unwieldy in most circumstances.

Now I get that's it an old car now and not especially sophisticated compared with modern supercars, but so too is the 288GTO and I have found that a pleasure to drive by comparison. It's not got a dissimilar sort of power to weight ratio as the F40 and while it can be a handful, I at least found I could drive it on the front foot rather than on the back foot like the F40.

By front foot I mean broadly in control and able to attack corners with varying degrees of success. By back foot I mean fighting a car for the entire lap just to get it pointing roughly where I need it to go.

mine handles very bad, and i consider it glitched also, i do have the gt auto add ons and wheel upgrades I'm wonder if the op has it also, and you guys that don't are the ones who like it.

Love the game!

But, just threw away 450.000 in the game on the f40 only to spin out in the first few metres testdriving my new pride and joy!

Its basically totally undriveable!
Tried with a controller since the tailhappy cars are not really possible to drive with the 900 degree dfp, but it was WORSE with that!

Only real lap I could get out of it was with the wheel in 200 degree mode and almost breaking it wringing it out like a madman!!!
And that was also with mods for 70.000+! Soft racing wheels!

Is there any way to get it driveable?!
Turned on traction control and skid recovery but didnt help any!

No way to test a car before buying with my dearly payed time ( ingame money is my work time just like in real life ) makes me want to just stop playing this altogether!
I mean, whats the point?! Slaving away for nothing!
The f40 is now just a 450.000 statue that looks like an f40!

You are horrible for even suggesting that the F40 is the horrible one, and not your horrible driving.

In GT6 F40 has too high maximum speed. It reaches 360 km/h on a plain straight at Route X. In GT5 it reached approximately 320 km/h, which was quite accurate.

Back