Fanatec Announcements: CSW V2 Reviews Out

• Thread starter Crispy
  • 13,388 comments
Latte,

can you please specify the highlighted part? AFAIK Fanatec has a licence from Microsoft/Forza. But I don't know which other platform you refer to.

"Dual Licence" is perhaps not the proper description, it is not I believe a fully fledged PS licensed product.

The point being made was more regards compatibility and that to date only 1 manufacturer has product(s) that supports both major consoles with of course PC compatibility including proper FFB and 900 degrees on all systems.

This does not mean no other company will ever do the same but you have to question why they haven't done similar upto this stage.

As an example take the T500RS it is an official PS3 and GT licensced product, see both logos on that box yet for example some strange reason it never supported FFB in all games. I recall Shift 2 being launched not long after the wheel. Kinda funny isn't it.

Yet the Fanatec "compatible" wheel range could do FFB because of their design.

I like these times when new hardware is approaching and having fun with predictions but really I could be waay off so indeed all this is nothing more than estimating based on potential or likely scenarios.

I expect a PCB CSR Elite upgrade in order to keep my wheel without losing multiplatform compatibility.

It is not Fanatec fault if MS change everything with the mew XBO.

It's not a matter of whose fault it is (obviously MS is the main culprit here even if they may have extenuating circumstances). It's a matter of what will happen and what needs to be done in order to play FM5 with a wheel.

I expect a PCB CSR Elite upgrade in order to keep my wheel without losing multiplatform compatibility.

It is not Fanatec fault if MS change everything with the mew XBO.

Well thomas said he would do a pcb upgrade on his blog over a year ago and it wouldn't be the first time (See GT3RS V2). However, he also said the CSS would be $99.

For me there are 2 big issues. The biggest of course is the wheel support. There is no way I want to buy yet another wheel just to be able to play FM5 and I do not want to play it with a controller so no wheel support = no FM5=No Xbox One for me

The other issue is the Game-Profile thing. It sounds like that If I were to buy the game and install it under my profile that I would not be able to say lend the game to a friend for a few days to let them try it out or worse may not be able to load the game on my own system using a different profile. If that be the case then that is really just a shameless cash grab for MS that may very well come back and bite them hard.

The more I hear about the new Xbox the happier I am that GT6 is coming and on the PS3.

Sony must be happy right now ;)

It sounds like that If I were to buy the game and install it under my profile that I would not be able to say lend the game to a friend for a few days to let them try it out or worse may not be able to load the game on my own system using a different profile. If that be the case then that is really just a shameless cash grab for MS that may very well come back and bite them hard.

I'm primarily a PC gamer and I don't see a problem with this. On steam I just enter the key and forget the game box exists. On the 360 you can install a game but are forced to insert the game to play it off the hard drive. I think most consumers would rather have it be like Steam but core gamers want the ability to have used games. This is a tough balance because while core gamers are the minority they still buy more games per customer.

I'm primarily a PC gamer and I don't see a problem with this. On steam I just enter the key and forget the game box exists. On the 360 you can install a game but are forced to insert the game to play it off the hard drive. I think most consumers would rather have it be like Steam but core gamers want the ability to have used games. This is a tough balance because while core gamers are the minority they still buy more games per customer.
Don't get me started on Steam. I hate that with a passion and will not buy anything that uses it ever again,

Can we be sure the CSW (and a myriad of other wheels from Logitech - Thrustmaster) will work on PS4 or is it more of a hope at this point? Sony announced current accessories will not be compatible, does everybody expect this to be restricted to wireless controllers only?

Yea I would like to get a clear answer on whats going to happen with these Fanatec wheels.

I've had a G25 for a number of years but obviously it doesn't work with Forza. After weighing the chances that a Fanatec wheel would or wouldn't be compatible with a new Xbox, I decided to take the plunge and buy a CSR value pack about two months ago..

If its not going to work then I'm going to sell the damn thing out of frustration. I still have my G25 and I'm sure that will still work with the PS4 anyway. Sigh.. stupid greedy Microsoft.

I have many games on Steam, with no issue, what happened to you?
I just hate the whole concept of it. I buy a game that has no online component but before I can even install it I have to install steam and then connect to the servers and then register the game and then install the game. Then once installed anytime I reboot my computer it takes quite a bit longer to get ready than it otherwise would while it loads steam and connects to the server and then I get these very annoying pop up windows from steam with news or game ads or whatever. It takes up extra resources on the system even when you are not wanting to play a game, it uses extra bandwidth and of course it trys to control what you do with your game and forces you to connect to the internet even when the game does not use the internet.

Last edited:
There were a lot of speculation and comments in a forzamotorsport forum thread about the fact none of the current fanatec wheel will be compatible with the xbox one, but the thread is now closed. :)

There were a lot of speculation and comments in a forzamotorsport forum thread about the fact none of the current fanatec wheel will be compatible with the xbox one, but the thread is now closed. :)

Sounds about right for the folks at T10. They have a long history of blocking, deleting, banning any source of negative or critical posts on their forums.

I was banned for stating that their banning policy was unfair

Sounds about right for the folks at T10. They have a long history of blocking, deleting, banning any source of negative or critical posts on their forums.

I was banned for stating that their banning policy was unfair

Yes, same here. I witnessed and had many things deleted during FM2/FM3 times regarding wheel issues, especially during FM3 time and 900-degree linearity/buffer fiasco.

Just one of the reasons why I always lose my mind when someone uses Turn10 as example of the company with "great PR".

What a joke.

Been reading around and thinking...
Personally I do not see much hope in an upgrade fix guys for various reasons.
I tell you why:

First off, surely every Xbox One peripheral manufacturer must be granted a licence.
Microsoft we are led to believe have set strict requirements and this ensures any device must adopt their button layout and be approved etc. Current controllers and wheels may not meet this requirement. Potentially their are lots of technicalities and legal wranglings in the way.

So technically any current controller/wheel is not necessarily a "Xbox One" licensed product or able to be one. So if this scenario is anyway accurate it simply may be impossible that an official "fix" solution due to the other specific requirements they impose blocks such from happening.

In doing this Microsoft can be certain of a heap of money from potential partners wanting to produce accessories/hardware for the new console. You want in? Pay the NEW entrance fee!

Looking at it another way...
For a company like Fanatec to have a possible fix for say the Elite and to cover lets assume a new licence charge, then develop/manufacture the new upgrade/changes, implement these via an awkward return to base upgrade installation and cover shipping costs. I seriously doubt this is feasible or really worth while compared to simply selling a wheel and paying the difference in getting a new one.

The PS4 is maybe another headache for Fanatec but I am not as sure if an easier workaround is possible with it?

Thoughts welcomed?

Last edited:
All this makes me glad a jumped back to pc racing 1 1/2 years ago. Dont have any plan on going back, not even for GT6. M$ is being way to greedy and who knows what Sony have to announce. And to think pc racing use to be the headache, keeping up with tech.

PC is the way forward.
Three xbox one's and a new wheel at god know's what price for a game like Forza 5 really isn't worth it.
At a guess possibly £400 per console and going by what the Elite was last on sale at 600 euro's. Plus three copies of the game my guess it will be about £50. Rough estimate £1850.
Money that would be much better spent on two Titans lol

PC is the way forward.

Agree with that 100%, will always be grateful, to GT1,2,3,4 and 5 for introducing me to SIM racing. Might even buy gt5.5 for sentimental reasons and because it plays on my last console ever.
but the future path is clear, PC all the way. Welcome to the 21st century.👍

I would really love to see a game similar to Forza or GT for the PC. I would be all over that in a heart beat if it were any good.

NFS has tried but really I haven't cared much for most of their offerings. Porsche Unleashed was awesome in it's time and is still unmatched in any other NFS title.

I am hoping that there is a fix for the Fanatec wheel on XBox One but will not hold my breath for it.

As for the PS4 they have been using USB interface and I really can't think of any reason why they would change it so I fully expect all 3 of my wheels to continue to work with the PS4 just as they do with the PS3 and PS2 and all my PCs

Let's assume that E3 will bring booths with GT6, Drive Club and Forza 5.

We already know GT6 works fine with the T500, since it was demoed with it. We just have to wait and see if Drive Club or Forza 5 are being demoed solely with controllers / Kinect, or whether there are wheels being used.

Potentially Fanatec could be gearing up for an E3 reveal of the official Forza 5 wheel, or even Thrustmaster. Either way we'll have more info soon.

I admit that rFactor2 is way more realistic, FFB impressive than GT5 or FM4 BUT consoles are more gamers mechanisms related. I mean I have spent hours trying to get gold rewards, a nice cars collection, etc... I haven't found the sim that bring the diversity of GT and the realism of rFactor2. So I play/drive a little bit of everything. If my CSR would be XBox One compatible, I surely would buy one and play FM5. I will enjoy GT6 (I am sure that a PS3 and a good tire/suspension physic model is possible). I will play Assetto Corsa and if it will be available on next gen console, I would probably prefer the console version to the PC one because I prefer my 46 inches Tv than my cheap 24 inches monitor.

But for sure some have amazing PC setup that are far more immersive than a wheel and a big TV :)

I admit that rFactor2 is way more realistic, FFB impressive than GT5 or FM4 BUT consoles are more gamers mechanisms related. I mean I have spent hours trying to get gold rewards, a nice cars collection, etc... I haven't found the sim that bring the diversity of GT and the realism of rFactor2. So I play/drive a little bit of everything. If my CSR would be XBox One compatible, I surely would buy one and play FM5. I will enjoy GT6 (I am sure that a PS3 and a good tire/suspension physic model is possible). I will play Assetto Corsa and if it will be available on next gen console, I would probably prefer the console version to the PC one because I prefer my 46 inches Tv than my cheap 24 inches monitor.

But for sure some have amazing PC setup that are far more immersive than a wheel and a big TV :)

My setup is the same for both consoles and PC. 40" Plasma TV XBox360 PS3 and PC all connected to it with a custom cockpit featuring a CSR Elite Wheel and Club Sport Pedals.

I would much prefer any game be on the PC for several different reasons but mostly because there are more options when writing for a PC more power and often web sites set up to allow the download of user created content when allowed.

I have yet to see any game that had a PC version that was not better on the PC than on any console.

I have yet to see any d a PC version that was not better on the PC than on any console.
Same here, even physics and FBB feel better, not just the graphic.
As if developers have to simplify the game for the console to be able to run it.
Once your pc is plugged to your HD big screen TV, there is no turning back

Glad to see some of you guys finally starting to see the light. In all my time here at GT Planet, I always wondered what it would take for you guys to realize just how much better the PC is for racing games: I mean seriously...the benefits are simply endless. Among them.....

1)Better graphics and smoother framerate(duh!)

2)Being able to use multiple USB controllers at once.

3)Being able to use ANY steering wheel or pedals that are USB HID compliant and not having your PC complain that it doesn't recognize the device.

4)Steam: Giving the player the luxury of having all their games neatly categorized into one place and letting you access them any time with just a simple click of a mouse. Yes, that even means non-Steam games, like those from MAME, and other emulators. It's a wonderful thing when I can go from playing Pole Position to Need for Speed Shift to rFactor to Ridge Racer 4 in a matter of seconds with just a few easy clicks. Convenience is the name of the game :)

5)Third party utilities created by the Windows community that allow you to tweak things with your hardware...ie button remapping, axis calibrating, etc. Can't tell you how beneficial these apps have been for my setup. Being able to do things like adjust the sensitivity and range in your steering wheel in ANY game ON THE FLY with a Windows app like UJR is a blessing indeed. Being able to map keyboard key to any button on my wheel or even on my shifter is fantastic.

6)Emulation...giving us the ability to play soooo many classic racing games from the golden days of the 80's, 90's and early 00's. Daytona USA, OutRun, Virtua Racing, Super GT, Sega Rally Championship, Ridge Racer 1-5, Crazy Taxi, Pole Position, and of Gran Tursimo 1-4, all on one machine! This is the main reason I came over to PC. I love old arcade racing games and the PC provides me with hours on enjoyment and lets me relive the good old days!

7)Custom soundtracks: Yes I know you can have custom soundtracks on your Xbox 360 but the functionality is very limited, and CS is simply not possible on the PS3. On PC however, I can launch any of my software music players and have my favorite tunes playing while enjoying my racing games. The advantage on here is the amount of customizability a software player gives you such as Foobar2000. With F2K I can setup up hotkeys and assign them to any button on my steering wheel to do things like repeat a track, fast forward, increase volume of the music, skip to another playlist, etc. And everything works perfectly with no glitches! I never race without listening to music so this is a Godsend for someone like me.

Honestly...the decision to come over to the PC should be a no-brainer for you guys. The advantages are just too many.

Glad to see some of you guys finally starting to see the light. In all my time here at GT Planet, I always wondered what it would take for you guys to realize just how much better the PC is for racing games: I mean seriously...the benefits are simply endless. Among them.....
PC is better for just about everything but then I am a PC developer so maybe I am a bit bias.

I have heard a lot of talk over the years about how powerful this console is or that one but it has been many years since a console could come close to a PC.

Back in the early 80s the console beat the PC for gaming. Atari 2600, 5200 especially where PCs were using Mono or CGA graphics there was no contest but once we got EGA they were about equal and then with VGA the PC left them in the dust.

My brother was a big Madden NFL fan and played on a PS2 for years. At the time that was as good as it gets on a console then he came to my house one day and saw me playing on my PC. He is like Wow!!! same game but the PC with HD or semi HD long before consoles or TVs plus the networking ability to play across local pcs with 0 lag and the ability to create your own team logos and such.

Suddenly he did not like it much of the PS2 ;)
He began coming to my house to play after that.

HBR-Roadhog
I would really love to see a game similar to Forza or GT for the PC. I would be all over that in a heart beat if it were any good.

NFS has tried but really I haven't cared much for most of their offerings. Porsche Unleashed was awesome in it's time and is still unmatched in any other NFS title.

I am hoping that there is a fix for the Fanatec wheel on XBox One but will not hold my breath for it.

As for the PS4 they have been using USB interface and I really can't think of any reason why they would change it so I fully expect all 3 of my wheels to continue to work with the PS4 just as they do with the PS3 and PS2 and all my PCs

Not sure what the community thinks but Grid 2 for pc might be good in GT 6 abscence & NFS disapointment.

Back