Fanatec Announcements: CSW V2 Reviews Out

• Thread starter Crispy
  • 13,388 comments
I tried Grid for a little bit but did not like it. Been a while so I can't be specific but it just seemed very unrealistic in pretty much every way. It also seemed like there was something up with the AI cars like they had slowed down and waited or something because on my first race I had several major issues spun out a few times, hit the wall had to turn around and had long since been past by all the AI cars yet when I finally got the car under control I rounded a corner and there was some AI cars. I ended up with a second place finish in what should have been a dead last effort.

I will be getting GT6 for sure, NFS will have to prove themselves I'll just play the ones I have for now.

I may dig out my GT Legends disk and give that one a try I did not have a wheel when I played it but if memory serves it was not bad. Maybe be fun with my wheel setup.

Glad to see some of you guys finally starting to see the light. In all my time here at GT Planet, I always wondered what it would take for you guys to realize just how much better the PC is for racing games: I mean seriously...the benefits are simply endless. Among them.....

<..>

Honestly...the decision to come over to the PC should be a no-brainer for you guys. The advantages are just too many.
You are missing the benefits of the big console-only "sim"s though...
1) huge budget which no PC game can hope to compete with
2) first party console-seller, so massive advertising
3) huge amounts of licenses
4) gamer style progression, always something to do with an associated "reward"

I started sim racing on the PC, learned decent racing techniques on rFactor, iRacing and all of the Simbin sims. However, these days I race almost entirely with Forza or Gran Turismo. The reason is purely that I don't have the time for online league racing, and I enjoy racing road cars (which are very poorly represented in almost all PC sims).

And this generation of console "sim"s are not so far behind the PC sims, so the drawbacks are much less than a few years ago.

I am also a game dev and my PC sucks so this is why I like the user friendliness of consoles games. A decent PC is twice as expensive as a console and can of course do a lot of things. But I do not like online racing because I never know when I will have a free gaming hour so I want something that is fast and ready to go :)

But it is maybe because of my Q6600 2.4 ghz and GeForce 560ti, there is better CPU since 2008 ;)

I am also a game dev and my PC sucks so this is why I like the user friendliness of consoles games. A decent PC is twice as expensive as a console and can of course do a lot of things. But I do not like online racing because I never know when I will have a free gaming hour so I want something that is fast and ready to go :)

But it is maybe because of my Q6600 2.4 ghz and GeForce 560ti, there is better CPU since 2008 ;)

yeah a Q6600 is a bit out dated. I use a AMD P2 1100T 6 cores at 3.5 ghz and it rocks everything I throw at it. My video car is a bit old 9800GT but still is much more powerful than any console on the market and would not cost much take that up a few notches.

You can build a pretty good PC for a reasonable price yeah maybe double what you would play for a console but with 10,000 times the possibilities.

Not a fan of the privacy / selling of customers aspect:

http://translate.google.com/transla...-kritisiert-microsofts-xbox-one-a-901893.html

And&#8230;you cannot post this on the Forza forums or they'll delete it&#8230;why would that be exactly?

I am with you on the privacy thing. I felt like going back to the lifestyle I had prior to the introduction of the mobile phone, and felt like that for a while now.
So that means to remove/lessen on the 'social' aspect of what is known as our 'online life' today (including throwing the phone out the window).

I am sure you've seen this image too?

http://i.imgur.com/Wl512zG.jpg

Wl512zG.jpg

Your smart phones already do.

Yeah just a few years ago&#8230;a spy movie or novel might have someone planting a bug or tracker on the target. This was done at night through stealth means for the most part with the bugging devices paid for by some goverment or private entity.

NOW&#8230;the targets buy the device, and has it with them at all times.

I'm going to stick to PC gaming. At least I can control that to a certain extent.
Though every OS has its backdoors too, so if you want to live a worry free life you'd have to physically unplug the PC. And even than the stuff can be programmed in such a way that data is collected and stored until the PC goes online again, after which it gets send.

Even if you'd throw out the PC, as soon as you walk in a city or in a shop... you are being monitored again.

So I want to ask you all a question (although it's out of bounds with the topic of this thread).
What still remains of our privacy in todays day and age?

Privacy is not a fixed position, or objective term. An intensely guarded person like me may soon be overwhelmed by our increasingly "open book" society, and the ways that it may be exploited. Even that red "online now" bothers me sometimes, sensitive as I am.

Privacy is not a fixed position, or objective term. An intensely guarded person like me may soon be overwhelmed by our increasingly "open book" society, and the ways that it may be exploited. Even that red "online now" bothers me sometimes, sensitive as I am.
You can disable that by selecting Invisible mode on your settings page

There isn't as simple a program for PCs (AFAIK) but if you are a Mac guy like me&#8230;get "Little Snitch". And utilities like "Ghostery". I have any site ads blocked via other means. Ghostery found 3 trackers on this site in the forums. And "Cookie" shows 3 normal and 2 tracking cookies. Those autoclear as required.

Little Snitch is cool to watch. It catches all inbound and outbound data from any program or site. So for instance you might catch Msoft phoning home a couple times a day yet haven't used Office in say 3 days. Sorry Msoft, I have taken away your phone home priveleges. I can update manually and so forth. Lotta traffic comes outta shopping, news, and social media sites. You can turn all of that off with LS and adjust privacy settings too at different sites such as FB.

Long ago my family was a "Nielsen" family. So our TV usage was tracked and for this we received 40 dollars a month. Now *much* more is tracked including your mood and who you influence on what topics and you get zilch lol.

Is there anything that points to that current wheels do not work with PS4?

I have not read anything yet that confirms they will be guaranteed to work.
Of course it is still possible and some may say more likely it will be okay.

The current controllers are not meant to work, is that also with cable? they too could be connected via USB. So even though PS4 supports USB 3.0 as yet we do not know.

Drive Club was demonstrated using the DS4 controller and the devs have stated in some articles "tilt steering mode" on the controller is their preference. They never mentioned steering wheel and well maybe it is just to hype the DS4 but kinda worrying.

Read

This thread is seriously going off topic though...

E3 may have the answers and maybe lets not forget the 918SR rim.

Not completely off topic, when talking about what our Fanatec gear may or may not be able to function with.

Considering how easily the status quo could be achieved, Sony would surely need a financial motivation for not facilitating the current Fanatec/Logitech user base into the next generation.

It's very likely that current USB wheels (such as Fanatecs) will work on PS4 (using a good ol' USB cable). But there is no solid confirmation yet, so there's still a risk it won't be the case.

I would imagine the PS4 will support the current wheels to some extent. But we don´t know maybe they start to feel they need big license money. Logitech don´t produce the G27 anymore and maybe they will go out of the wheel peripheral business completly. That would mean the Fanatec wheels may not work. As for Thrustmaster they still seem to produce some wheels even if not the T500RS or TH8RS but I assume life is tough there as well.

As for Kinect latest is that you can at least shut it down completly. But we won´t know before it´s released they can still go back and forth with Kinect, DRM etc...

Considering how easily the status quo could be achieved, Sony would surely need a financial motivation for not facilitating the current Fanatec/Logitech user base into the next generation.

I hope so. Still something simple like adding or removing a controller button or implementing a different force feedback or rumble protocol might mess with current generation wheels.

If PS4 causes a problem for Logitech wheels, it will cause a problem for Fanatec wheels since Fanatec spoofs their wheels to the console as a Logitech wheel. If the Logitech wheels stop working for some unknown reason, but Sony allows HID on the PS4, Fanatec will (edit: will likely) just spoof whatever wheel works instead of paying for whatever licensing would otherwise be necessary.

So in short, you can keep your eyes open for info on if it's going to use HID and if the Logitech or Thrustmaster wheels work. Why? Because they are officially supported and the most likely items to be officially discussed.

Last edited:
Long aware of the "spoof" thing, but I am unsure about something else. Would it possible for a developer to provide official support for Fanatec wheels in a PS3 game? Project Cars for example will support Fanatec wheels directly on pc, does the current set up make it impossible to support the wheels directly on PS3?

My assumption would be that this is where the licensing issues come in? I used to think that the reason for entering under the guise of a G25 was because it was easier to reverse engineer a Logitech (and also to gain immediate software support) than create their own from scratch, but maybe it is purely licensing....?

I would guess only Fanatec knows their reasons for doing it.

Some time ago Sony released a patch which disallowed the use of many "unauthorized" controllers, though this was all wireless. (http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2010/09/25/do-you-have-a-counterfeit-ps3-controller/)

I think that says a little about Sony's position on the subject and probably comes closer to answering the real question you asked.

However, my original point was simply that paying attention to what is happening with the "official" controllers would be the best bet.

So recently we have had announcements that confirm X360 accessories will not be compatible.

Of course this would include any notions of USB connection being a possibility.
Posted this in the FM5 section:

Forza 5 Dev Video:
Looks to be MadCatz Xbox One wheel:

Edit: Update:
Their is a good possibility this is the standard X360 product with the "wheel clamp" and possible angle of the picture hiding the shifter.

DoE6MTHl.jpg

Here is the current Xbox 360 version with attached shifter and different base.
GDn5f2Al.jpg

MadCatz are among the first to announce "Xbox One" accessories.
While the product will indeed be a budget solution the company is renowned for backing popular franchises.

Logitech have said they are out of the console business. Thrustmaster have not made an announcement yet but who else is their for a new quality wheel?

Over to you Thomas. :)
Superman - Man Of Wheel?

Last edited:
Looks like they didn't even bother removing the ring of light. How lazy of them. In addition the start and back buttons have the old icons rather than the new icons.

The base looks similar to the old Sidewinder with the front clamping mechanism.

I was about to post the same picture, sad Turn 10 had to developp the next Forza with this kind of wheel...

Looks like they didn't even bother removing the ring of light. How lazy of them. In addition the start and back buttons have the old icons rather than the new icons.

The base looks similar to the old Sidewinder with the front clamping mechanism.

Well I guess we don't know if that is a finalized design but it seems certain some form of MadCatz wheel will be available.

Remember however that the X360 version of this wheel was shown at E3 2011 for FM4. It seems MadCatz clearly are focused on providing an entry level solution. This didn't stop Fanatec having 2 other options in 2011 though did it!

I don't think it necessarily means we wont see some USB wheel support.
Certainly no surprise seeing a MadCatz wheel as they're one of the largest 3rd party accessory manufacturers across all formats.

Back