Fanatec Announcements: CSW V2 Reviews Out

• Thread starter Crispy
  • 13,388 comments
Hmm, it would be good to have a link to the rest of the discussion, that message is out of context, so we don't know what it really means or what he's referring to.
Here is the post from the blog.
Xbox One versus PlayStation 4

Submitted by Thomas on Wed, 06/12/2013 - 08:25.

I am currently here at E3 and a lot of things are going on. It is exciting to see a new console generation coming up.

At the moment we still did not get a final confirmation whether our Xbox 360 wheels will work on Xbox One natively (USB) or with an adaper or upgrade kit or not at all. Therefore we cannot promise you anything other than that we are trying to find a solution and if MS allows it then we would certainly support any solution which increases the compatibility of your XBox 360 wheels.

You can be sure that we are working to make our wheels compatible with the next gen consoles or develop solutions which will provide compatibility but at this point it is too early to discuss it.

In any case our wheels will work with GT6 and after playing it, I am quite excited about the improvements of the physics.

So what is your opinion?

Xbox One or PS4?

Forza Motorsport 5 or GT6?

The part referenced in the post above is in the comments under this blog entry. You can read it in full here http://www.911wheel.de/?q=node/10006

Cool, thanks.

Edit: so basically it was a guy who works in marketing berating Thomas a bit for what he considers missteps and offering to meet up with Thomas to discuss suggestions for improvements. (He apparently lives in Munich). Apparently he feels that Thomas is having difficulty communicating with Microsoft and Sony because Thomas hasn't posted the exact details of his discussions with those companies. I can't imagine that it would even be possible for him to do so, since there are probably NDA-type agreements out the wazoo.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks.

Edit: so basically it was a guy who works in marketing berating Thomas a bit for what he considers missteps and offering to meet up with Thomas to discuss suggestions for improvements. (He apparently lives in Munich). Apparently he feels that Thomas is having difficulty communicating with Microsoft and Sony because Thomas hasn't posted the exact details of his discussions with those companies. I can't imagine that it would even be possible for him to do so, since there are probably NDA-type agreements out the wazoo.

Yes, some people obviously really struggle with perspective. My perspective is: I cannot even imagine what what hoops there are to jump through, dances there are to do, and "exits" there are to pucker up for. I am sure that it must be a strange and scary alternate universe that one must enter.

Just do not buy any wheel until we know. How hard can it be?
That is fine for those who do not already have a wheel and are thinking about buying one. Most of my friends who play Forza do have a wheel already and most of those have Fanatec wheels.

The thing is we need to know if the XB1 will work with these, if it can be made to work or if it can not before we decide to buy a XB1. My wheel setup cost more than the XB1 does so I am not real keen on the idea of having to replace it on top of the cost of the XB1. If my wheel would work then I would be more likely to purchase the XB1 at some point.

My main issue is : Keep or sell my CSR Elite

If you want to play safe, sell now before values possibly decrease if it won't work with XB1. My wheel is so old that there is no much value in selling and I mainly play only GT series which supports my turbo s also with the next game, GT6.

That's a keeper :-)

It definately is if you have only one wheel, but i also own a CSW with 2 rims.
I have to admit though that sometimes i prefer the CSR Elite above the CSW with BMW rim. It's must faster and delivers better FFB.

If you want to play safe, sell now before values possibly decrease if it won't work with XB1. My wheel is so old that there is no much value in selling and I mainly play only GT series which supports my turbo s also with the next game, GT6.

I'm still in doubt. :confused:

The CSR Elite will still be a awesome backup wheel for my CSW. I still love Forza 4 and Forza Horizon.

My wheel is in perfect state and will always be worth the money for xbox360/PS3/PS4 and PC owners.The release of the GT6 will probably boost the value of the CSR Elite since they are out of stock world wide.

The only high end fanatec alternative is a new CSW + BMW rim which is still around €750,- plus shipping. The good thing about the rim of the CSR Elite is the "allround rim". Driving a F1 car or a GT car feels natural with the CSR Elite.

Driving a F1 car with the BMW rim feels strange.

Last edited:

I would consider modifying as a backup with a light weight rim like the popular Sparco P310 at under 2KG.
With all the failures of motors, is the weight of the GT rim a considered factor?
Just curious if most that have had issues with the CSW found it happened more with the GT rim or why does it seem it has happened less with Elite?

I am shocked that E3 has come and went with no Fanatec preview of hardware.
Has to be the first in a long time and considering Xbox has been a big part of their sales since the Turbo S and FM3.

Realistically I do not see any potential upgrade being a feasible solution in the limited time-frame..

Even if it is possible technically and via licensing (a bigger issue I believe) if talks are only in progress now. How long is needed for Fanatec to have such ready with upgraded wheels being shipped out? To me this means missing the FM5 launch window hype and realistically what else will Xbox One have in a racing games that really warrants such an upgrade? When hype of FM5 cools down how many will really still want such several months later?

Curious guys to read and see just how many people buy into the new Thrustmaster and a new console for FM5. Then again it may replace the elite as the multiplatform wheel to have for the next gen?

What is interesting is that none of the hardware companies have announced a steering wheel for PS4. So is this to be seen as a clue that USB with it has more chance of working? Such would also help to sell the PS4 over the Xbox One just as the X360 required it's own wheel.

I like the idea of a modified Elite or CSW for GT6/PC and something like Drive Club on PS4.
Fingers crossed but for me FM5 would have to be an amazing racing game (not just a beautiful car show piece) with so much competition in the racing genre across all the formats.

Future:
Perhaps Fanatec are better concentrating on PC products until sales of the new consoles and library of games have really warranted a new wheel for them. Will lots of people pass on FM5 and the idea of playing it with a new expensive console including a new wheel combination and the prospect it isn't really much better experience (graphics aside) or worth it over GT6?

I can see the battle of GT/Forza being an issue in a whole new light in the not too distant future as which is best game to enjoy/play? Thomas making a point of GT6 physics has perhaps indeed some factors as not to forget the PS3 just yet.

Want to continue enjoying your wheels guys, well if you own an Elite/CSW the best upgrade idea might actually be playing GT6 and future PC games.

Last edited:
Sony has stated that wheel makers need to submit thier wheel drivers to the developers for ps3 wheels to be compatiable with the ps4. :)

2 KG seems like a really heavy rim?

Anyway I believe people run with higher ffb settings with the larger rims. I do the same on my T500RS. 320 mm give more leverage then the smaller F1 integral rim so you may want to run a bit higher because you can. You also turn it more then a F1 rim where most settle for 360 or less I imagine.

The F1 rim for the CSW is a lot smaller then the F1 integral rim so the difference would be even greater. Weight matters to of course but I imagine it´s primarily the size of them. My 320 mm rim and F1 integral RIM weight just about exactly the same. Perhaps a bit more then 1 KG but could only measure with wii fit. Not sure how accurate it is.

If you want to sell it, now is the time. People are paying new money for used wheels because the supply is so low. I also don't think as we get closer to the new XBOX system launching that old systems wheels will hold value unless it by some miracle turns out that M$ decides to let the Elite work on the ONE.

2 KG seems like a really heavy rim?

Anyway I believe people run with higher ffb settings with the larger rims. I do the same on my T500RS. 320 mm give more leverage then the smaller F1 integral rim so you may want to run a bit higher because you can. You also turn it more then a F1 rim where most settle for 360 or less I imagine.

The F1 rim for the CSW is a lot smaller then the F1 integral rim so the difference would be even greater. Weight matters to of course but I imagine it´s primarily the size of them. My 320 mm rim and F1 integral RIM weight just about exactly the same. Perhaps a bit more then 1 KG but could only measure with wii fit. Not sure how accurate it is.

Sorry I seen a site list it at approx 4lbs (1.8kg may of included box)
Not sure the true weight of it but it is really light and seems already a popular model for modding. AT least a couple of guys here have one for T500RS I think so could be a good option for Elite as well.

Sony has stated that wheel makers need to submit thier wheel drivers to the developers for ps3 wheels to be compatible with the ps4. :)

Great news indeed!

If you want to sell it, now is the time. People are paying new money for used wheels because the supply is so low. I also don't think as we get closer to the new XBOX system launching that old systems wheels will hold value unless it by some miracle turns out that M$ decides to let the Elite work on the ONE.

I think a lot of the value is due to it being a very high quality wheel rather than solely its 360 support. I hardly ever use mine with my 360. I just don't see the value plummeting because of a console. Since I don't have a worthy backup I'm just going to wait for the replacement to exist.

Seems logical seeing as it can be used in H or Seq modes.......covers both potential customers

Agreed on that. Though I think Basher wonders about if there is a difference in feel of the H-pattern mode and such due to the extra linkage coming into play on the more expensive model. Because we all know that the more moving parts come into play, the more movement there can be in between parts. Thus could potentially change the feel. Not saying that it will.

I might have misinterperted/incorrectly assumed basher though. So appologies if that is the case.

@Simracer92:
Darn you tease. I must confess the sequential looks nice.

There are two shifters, H and H/Sequential. The only videos I have seen or comments made are regarding using the shifter in sequential mode. (with the exception of the video Thomas posted some time ago) There are tons of sequential shifters out there already. I suppose I should have been more clear in my question, so: "Where is the talk/video of the 'SQ' being used in H mode?" Given that it's likely the larger draw...

There are two shifters, H and H/Sequential. The only videos I have seen or comments made are regarding using the shifter in sequential mode. (with the exception of the video Thomas posted some time ago) There are tons of sequential shifters out there already. I suppose I should have been more clear in my question, so: "Where is the talk/video of the 'SQ' being used in H mode?" Given that it's likely the larger draw...

Hi Jon.
here is a video for those in the know.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CvuRltjsVhM

Okay, I have to admit here. From what it looks in the video and sounds... this thing easily defeats the TH8 for sure in terms of feel I reckon. 👍

Simracer's SQ vid and now your's Novadave... I am confinced it's better. Still it's at a higher price point for the H+SQ one, so you would expect it money wise at least.

Edit:
Will I get one? Well... I just said to myself not to buy any sim gear in the next year and spend it on going out and doing fun stuff, but... it's tempting to get one as a Christmas present for myself I must say.

Edit Edit:
This preview might be better to show how it works:

Last edited:
Ah thanks Dave. It's hard to tell for sure from that video but I don't see a remedy for the lack of "taught ness" I see some complain about with the TH8RS. At least, not enough to replace it given then price points. I guess we will have to wait until it's actually available to the general public. The sound and feel looks/sounds similar I suppose.

Edit Edit:
This preview might be better to show how it works:

I have to admit, that video *ALMOST* has me convinced that this shifter offers more stiffness and resistance in H-Pattern mode than the TH8RS. The sounds when he was going through the gates made a nice loud "thunk" that is absent on my TH8. I am also very curious as to how Fanatec's method of strengthening the tension using a screw differs from how Thrustmaster does it.

Well anyway it's currently only for Fanatec products and isn't a stand alone USB device so no point in getting one since I don't own one of their wheels.

Back