Fanatec Announcements: CSW V2 Reviews Out

• Thread starter Crispy
  • 13,388 comments
I have to admit, that video *ALMOST* has me convinced that this shifter offers more stiffness and resistance in H-Pattern mode than the TH8RS. The sounds when he was going through the gates made a nice loud "thunk" that is absent on my TH8.

The "thunk" sounds good to me also, but I am thinking that most of those frequencies would be generated by the timber that it is mounted on. Looks to be a fantastic shifter though.

Edit: Did I read somewhere that the throw is adjustable? SQ mode looked a little long for my taste.

Hi friends. A pair of questions:

- Does it work as a stand alone USB device (with PC games)?

- And will it work in PS3 with GT5 - GT6, as the TH8 Shifter?

Thanks in advice.

I think I am going to have to send other email for support. :grumpy: My wheel keeps losing center. Not by much 7 to the right in wheel profile is the worse its been. It normally ony goes off by 3, but if I hit a wall or something it will go off to 7. Is that the pcb going bad or something else?

I think I am going to have to send other email for support. :grumpy: My wheel keeps losing center. Not by much 7 to the right in wheel profile is the worse its been. It normally ony goes off by 3, but if I hit a wall or something it will go off to 7. Is that the pcb going bad or something else?

what fanatec wheel have you got because my pwts has done that since day1, i think it optical sensor related as when i changed that it dissapeared, however it did come back a couple of times after a month or so, im fairly sure that after time i will be back to square one.

Double check your wheel mounting bolts inside the QR adapter on both the wheel and the base. If they are loose it could make your center move a tiny bit from the slop in the bolt holes. If those are good, check the position sensor inside the wheel to see if it has loosened. If you've still found nothing after that you'll have to contact Fanatec.

Double check your wheel mounting bolts inside the QR adapter on both the wheel and the base. If they are loose it could make your center move a tiny bit from the slop in the bolt holes. If those are good, check the position sensor inside the wheel to see if it has loosened. If you've still found nothing after that you'll have to contact Fanatec.

Ok thanks. I know its not inside the quick release I check them pretty regular. Ill have to give the position sensor a look. I assume Ill be able to tell what it is easy enough. Just look for something pointed at the code wheel and check if its tight.

No luck with it just being something loose. Sent off a email.

Last edited:
This was waiting for me when I got home from work...

B5F16437-CFA4-428B-BB47-55E21C48209C-11020-00000C8EB49E99AA.jpg

C0757C07-FFF7-4AC4-B192-9A5E9B3D4317-11020-00000C8EF0A5FCF0.jpg

FCF3BD48-A8DB-4290-8564-58AE0101016A-11020-00000C8F2C244114.jpg

Comes with a tool, new hardware and shim as well...

027C3A6C-0B1C-43A8-AE27-9474C54D8E96-11020-00000C8ED3ACA5DE.jpg

I wouldn't say that's a quirk with the Formula rim but a quirk with the Elite. I never even noticed that the collar on the Elite was threaded as well.....that's an odd choice made there as usually this type of assembly method would have a tight tolerance unthreaded hole for the bolt to pass through into the threaded holes of the receiver on the rim.

With that said mine went together with no problems. I think it's imperative that when people assemble their Formula rim on their Elite base to assemble it as I did. I noticed when I first assembled it that if I tightened the 1st bolt the 2nd felt like it wasn't going in properly so I immediately stopped....backed it out and then loosened the 1st bolt quite a bit. I then went back and installed the second bolt and it went in with no problem and then I alternated between the two as I tightened them down until both were snugged down. But I can definitely see how some people could have some problems if they're not careful.

The rim though is certainly awesome. The build quality befits the quality of the Elite base SO much better than the stock rim. Everything about it is far better....all the buttons, the metal construction, the joysticks, the paddles (VERY good), LED display, the leather grips feel very good and are super comfy, even the mounting collar is better as its a CNC machined piece vs the cast one on the stock rim. And it's very light.....it doesn't feel a whole lot heavier than the stock rim at all

This was waiting for me when I got home from work...

Very pretty, but if used on a PS3 with GT5 the same probably applies to the comments about GT6:

From the Developer Interview section of the SimHQ Motorsports E3 2013 Recap: Part 1 - GranTurismo 6

When asked about supported wheels, Taku (Taku Imasaki, the North American Producer for Sony and GT6) listed off the usual suspects from Logitech and Thrustmaster. When asked about Fanatec wheels, Taku reminded us that sadly Fanatec doesn’t have an SDK, so that company’s wheels are interpreted by the game in a generic manner similar to a game pad. Fanatec wheels will work, but not as well as they could if specifically tailored to the game.

= probably not getting your $ worth, unless you do Forza 4 or PC sims.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, the issue certainly lies with the base. I just quoted the picture to help grab the attention of Elite owners.

Reading your thoughts on the new rim, I began to wonder..... Is there any chance that someone might consider fashioning an addition to the formula rim to "circlify" it? May kill a few birds with one stone to be able to switch back and forth between gt and formula set up, using only the formula rim. I am sure it could be done, and the original CSR rims were hardly well respected.

I do not understand lack of support thing with fanatec. My fanatec wheel works as good as my G25 ever did with GT5. What more there could be, and what is missing other than fancy menus?

Very pretty, but if used on a PS3 with GT5 the same probably applies to the comments about GT6:

From the Developer Interview section of the SimHQ Motorsports E3 2013 Recap: Part 1 - GranTurismo 6

= probably not getting your $ worth, unless you do Forza 4 or PC sims.
Fanatec "PS3 mode" actually is a G25 emulation mode. So as long as the game supports G25 wheels, Fanatec wheels should work as a G25.

Having native Fanatec support (i.e. Fanatec "PC mode") would be nice as some of the Fanatec wheels features (such as wheel vibration motors) cannot be used in "PS3 mode" (as G25 wheels have no such motors, obviously).

But Fanatec wheels already work wonders in GT5 and will probably still work wonders in GT6 as long as PD doesn't try to detect that you are not using a legacy G25 but a Fanatec wheel in G25 emulation mode instead, in order to try to lock them out or something like that.

Last edited:
HBK
Fanatec "PS3 mode" actually is a G25 emulation mode. So as long as the game supports G25 wheels, Fanatec wheels should work as a G25.

Having native Fanatec support (i.e. Fanatec "PC mode") would be nice as some of the Fanatec wheels features (such as wheel vibration motors) cannot be used in "PS3 mode" (as G25 wheels have no such motors, obviously).

But Fanatec wheels already work wonders in GT5 and will probably still work wonders in GT6 as long as PD doesn't try to detect that you are not using a legacy G25 but a Fanatec wheel in G25 emulation mode instead, in order to try to lock them out or something like that.

G27 emulation on CSW these days. ;)

I was thinking about fanatec and using logitech emulation. For the ps4 wheel makers need to submit drivers for their wheels. Logitech is out of the console market. Does this mean no drivers for the ps4? If so then that will also mean no fanatec wheels on the ps4 along with logitech wheels, unless fanatec finally get their own ps4 drivers.

HBK
If you say so. I'm not even sure if there's a difference between the two protocols.

Products you mean? I am sure you know the difference between the two. Else look up the product specs.
The G27 uses rev leds, so the CSW now emulates the G27 so the rev leds work.

Also the only thing that's called a protocol would be the communication protocol. Which is HID for the PS3.

Products you mean? I am sure you know the difference between the two. Else look up the product specs.
The G27 uses rev leds, so the CSW now emulates the G27 so the rev leds work.

Also the only thing that's called a protocol would be the communication protocol. Which is HID for the PS3.
Yeah, my bad, forgot about the rev lights.

What I meant is that I'm pretty sure that HID commands (or whatever they're called, probably "packets") are pretty much the same for G25 and G27, meaning both wheels are basically interchangeable.

Comes with a tool, new hardware and shim as well...

Hawk, where was the shim in your package? I don't remember seeing one with mine. I'll have to make sure to reuse the existing shim.

Now, regarding the new Formula Rim itself: hoooooolyyyyyy crap. I did not realize the quality difference between the stock CSR Elite rim and the Formula rim was going to be so huge. I'm one of the people who doesn't have any issues with the stock rim, but now I'm seriously envious of CSW owners. This is what they've had access to for months. I'd love something like the CSW BMW GT2 wheel rim for the Elite.

Hawk, where was the shim in your package? I don't remember seeing one with mine. I'll have to make sure to reuse the existing shim.

Mine was in a bag with the bolts at the bottom of the box. Mind you......the bag wasn't sealed so I could see how the shim could fall out of the bag during shipping. Check under the flaps of the bottom of the box to see if it slipped under there

$550/$600 gear emulates $250 gear on PS3. Inverse bang for the buck. :sly:

Oh come on. Physically the thing is a lot better in terms of performance, and you know it.
The firmware based deadzone and rattling of those Logitechs just sucks.

If Fanatec would make an SDK and remove the emulation, you would lose compatibility with older games which did not incorporate a Fanatec SDK into their games.

I know you hate Fanatec and have your valid reasons, though please stay a bit reasonable.

Logi, that you are in "bean counter mood" today was obvious some posts above. But what about your ability to notice irony? Is it on vacation today? ;-)

Back