Fanatec CSL Elite Racing Wheel Thread- officially licensed for PS4

• Thread starter PzR Slim
  • 2,901 comments
When will there be a V3 to be compatible with the PS4 and Xbox.

Personally I hope not too soon. I was very keen on the CSL PS4 but after finding out it is largely plastic have since changed my mind and ordered the CSW v2.5 and accessories this weekend and will use my PC more. Down side is I can see some extra expenses in a PC upgrade in the near future.

I will keep my T300 for GTS but all other sims will be PC for me for the time being.

If a v3 PS4/PC wheel eventuates one day I may change back to console.

Personally I hope not too soon. I was very keen on the CSL PS4 but after finding out it is largely plastic have since changed my mind and ordered the CSW v2.5 and accessories this weekend and will use my PC more. Down side is I can see some extra expenses in a PC upgrade in the near future.

I will keep my T300 for GTS but all other sims will be PC for me for the time being.

If a v3 PS4/PC wheel eventuates one day I may change back to console.
I'll be very interested in hearing your thoughts on that CSW2.5 when you get it. And how it compares to your T300.

Hmm.. Are you saying that the PS4 elite wheel base with the P1 rim or universal hub isn't good with Forza 6 and horizon 3 on the xbox? (One of the primary reasons of getting the fanatec set. I also own a PS4 pro)

As in the force feedback isn't great?
I'm primarily using it on consoles as I don't own a PC.

There will be some sort of E3 announcement with new TM models so just holding off on purchasing for the moment.

Cheers
James
Honestly I would not buy a wheel for Forza unless Forza 7 fixes the FFB. I actually like switching between different racing games and learning the different physics but it is so broken in Forza 6 and Horizon 3 that it's just not fun.

You get more feedback from a controller about what the car is doing than the wheel, it's hard to even describe. It's kind of floaty and dead and feels like it's inverted at times (inverting the FFB actually did nothing when I tried!), cornering can feel ok when you are getting FFB but then if you lose traction it instantly turns off like you've hit black ice.

Perhaps it's better with TCS and STM on but I didn't try because it felt fundamentally broken.

I will be sure to let you know. I am no expert but I am hoping there is a big enough difference that I don't have any buyers remorse on out laying so much money.

As far as my wife will ever know it will be sensational as it did not go down well when she saw the bank account this weekend.

Honestly I would not buy a wheel for Forza unless Forza 7 fixes the FFB. I actually like switching between different racing games and learning the different physics but it is so broken in Forza 6 and Horizon 3 that it's just not fun.

You get more feedback from a controller about what the car is doing than the wheel, it's hard to even describe. It's kind of floaty and dead and feels like it's inverted at times (inverting the FFB actually did nothing when I tried!), cornering can feel ok when you are getting FFB but then if you lose traction it instantly turns off like you've hit black ice.

Perhaps it's better with TCS and STM on but I didn't try because it felt fundamentally broken.

Thanks for your honest reply!

I once had the G29, played Project cars, and it was enjoyable despite the occasional ratcheting sounds when going over the railings. Sold it as I needed the funds for something else, though it wasn't expensive. Was hoping shelling out a lot more for the Fanatec would result in greater proportional experience.

I wonder if the V2.5 wheelbase would be a different experience? Or is it more Forza FFB team developers?

On the plus side, I'm immensely enjoying Forza 6 and Horizon 3 with the controller FFB, and fantasised the greater heights of realism with a wheel haha.

Thanks for your honest reply!

I once had the G29, played Project cars, and it was enjoyable despite the occasional ratcheting sounds when going over the railings. Sold it as I needed the funds for something else, though it wasn't expensive. Was hoping shelling out a lot more for the Fanatec would result in greater proportional experience.

I wonder if the V2.5 wheelbase would be a different experience? Or is it more Forza FFB team developers?

On the plus side, I'm immensely enjoying Forza 6 and Horizon 3 with the controller FFB, and fantasised the greater heights of realism with a wheel haha.
Pretty sure it's just Forza, feels great in evertything else, much better than any Logitech which I hated when turning against the motors when I could feel the cogs, felt like I was going to break it.

Hopefully its fixed in Forza 7, I just wouldn't buy a wheel just for that. If you play PCars 2, Dirt Rally, Assetto Corsa, GT Sport etc. too then I'd definitely recommend one!

Something I find odd... I'm going off of a rumor that Sony found the CSW V2.5 to be too expensive, so that's why the PS CSL wheel base came about. How does Sony explain Thusty's £699 price for the T-GT? And if price was such a concern, why didn't Sony allow a wheel rim solution? I'm a bit confused by Sony's stance on gaming wheels.

Sony having had a longer relationship with Thrustmaster probably knew that the new T-GT pricing would put it in direct (or near enough) competition with the CSW v2.5 yet would not be of equal quality. Probably wanted to keep Thrustmaster happy at the expense of customer satisfaction.

Who really knows but that is my conspiracy theory on it :)

I also have a theory that the reason the CSL Elite for PS4 isn't available in the US yet is because of the close collaboration between Thrustmaster and Polyphony digital. Sony probably wanted to make sure Thrustmaster had the marketing spotlight to themselves for E3 as the T-GT is the "official" Gran Turismo Sport wheel.

Last edited:
I like the fact that this guy has been banned since 2012.
Which guy lol?

Something I find odd... I'm going off of a rumor that Sony found the CSW V2.5 to be too expensive, so that's why the PS CSL wheel base came about. How does Sony explain Thusty's £699 price for the T-GT? And if price was such a concern, why didn't Sony allow a wheel rim solution? I'm a bit confused by Sony's stance on gaming wheels.
I read that that is why their 1st gen DD wheel won't be compatible with the PS4. As for why they allowed such an expensive Thrustmaster price tag, maybe that's down to being a GT wheel.

If Sony care so much about who makes what for whatever price, blar, blar, blar, conspiracy, my thought, etc, etc......

Why don't they just make a Sony branded wheel?

They make about a million other Sony branded products, including the PS4!

Surly in a dog eat dog world, that would be the obvious move, I expect Sony would rather ALL the profit from a wheel, rather that whatever deal they got going?

Maybe they do own part of (if not all!) TM LOL?!

I also have a theory that the reason the CSL Elite for PS4 isn't available in the US yet is because of the close collaboration between Thrustmaster and Polyphony digital. Sony probably wanted to make sure Thrustmaster had the marketing spotlight to themselves for E3 as the T-GT is the "official" Gran Turismo Sport wheel.
Why let them release it hear in Europe then though as it's the largest sales region for Motorsports (GT5 sold nearly 2x as much) and Sony is also far more popular.

The delayed launch in the US is really just a matter of standard procedures. One region is taking the lead in the approval process and the others follow but there is still some paperwork to do.
No conspiracy at all.

But perhaps we can get things sorted out quickly after E3.

There are two Fanatecs here.
Another one! :D
@Fanatec.

конкуренция.png

Sorry I could not resist :embarrassed:

Last edited:
Smart man! Only a fool would completely ignore the competition and how they are perceived by the general public...

Well, only a fool and our current Commander and Chief, that is. (Did I type that aloud? :lol: )

I've had it with this base. For sure kudos to Fanatec for supporting all three systems but i can't handle the clankiness of it.
Believe me, i've tried to like it but it just doesn't feel as solid or as quiet as my old V2.
I guess after selling the V2 i'm going to have to order the V2.5.....

biggest mistake i ever made...........

I haven't found any video reviews about this wheel yet, but some of the comments here has made me rethink..
500€ only for wheel and rim i wouldn't expect any plastic feel or clankiness.. What's the extra cost of led lights and rim's tuning menu which can be done in game aswell and does it work as it should on console?
Why wouldn't the T300rs Gt edition with TH8A shifter be better option for about the same price? A full set.
Does it hold it's price or are we expecting any price drop?

Last edited:
I've had it with this base. For sure kudos to Fanatec for supporting all three systems but i can't handle the clankiness of it.
Believe me, i've tried to like it but it just doesn't feel as solid or as quiet as my old V2.
I guess after selling the V2 i'm going to have to order the V2.5.....

biggest mistake i ever made...........

You never know...this time next year, you may see a CSL Elite "PS4" V2 to address the "solidness" feedback some have shared with Thomas. ;)

Being that I love my V2, I will have to still pick up a CSL ELite so I can finally play AC and the upcoming racing sim/games on my PS4.

I haven't found any video reviews about this wheel yet, but some of the comments here has made me rethink..
500€ only for wheel and rim i wouldn't expect any plastic feel or clankiness.. What's the extra cost of led lights and rim's tuning menu which can be done in game aswell and does it work as it should on console?
Why wouldn't the T300rs Gt edition with TH8A shifter be better option for about the same price? A full set.
I've read in the forum and listen from friends that the t300 has a lot of problems and failures. Most because the heat it gets.
I've just ordered the fanatec

The T300RS still having problems concerning reliability...

The T300RS still having problems concerning reliability...
So i've heard, but we don't know how reliable the CSL Elite Ps4 will be...
T300rs is very popular wheel, has lots of users... i've also heard good feedback about it.

So I received my wheel yesterday and mounted it to my Next Level gaming rig.(Had to drill a third hole for the front mount and use a flat head 6mm bolt to attach which was a little tricky but seems to be a rock solid attachment to the frame, no movement)

I'm upgrading from a G29 BTW, I'm still getting used to the wheel and only played around 2 hours of Project Cars and Dirt Rally. It seems smoother and has more FFB are my initial impressions.

I upgraded the firmware and installed the latest driver from the Fanatec site. I'm running the wheel on a PC.

If the wheel is in PC mode (Red light), the settings panel shows 2 wheels connected and also appear as 2 generic wheels in both Rally and Project cars with no menu support. I understand the wheel is a new model and probably not directly supported by the games but I don't understand why it is appearing as 2 wheels.

I then changed the mode to V2 compatible mode (purple) and it now appears as a single wheel controller and both Dirt Rally and Project Cars recognise the wheel correctly and can use the joystick to navigate.

So I will run the wheel in compatible mode and for newer games (Project Cars 2 etc) try PC mode. Hopefully the double wheel glitch is something which can be fixed by a driver update.

So I received my wheel yesterday and mounted it to my Next Level gaming rig.(Had to drill a third hole for the front mount and use a flat head 6mm bolt to attach which was a little tricky but seems to be a rock solid attachment to the frame, no movement)

I'm upgrading from a G29 BTW, I'm still getting used to the wheel and only played around 2 hours of Project Cars and Dirt Rally. It seems smoother and has more FFB are my initial impressions.

I upgraded the firmware and installed the latest driver from the Fanatec site. I'm running the wheel on a PC.

If the wheel is in PC mode (Red light), the settings panel shows 2 wheels connected and also appear as 2 generic wheels in both Rally and Project cars with no menu support. I understand the wheel is a new model and probably not directly supported by the games but I don't understand why it is appearing as 2 wheels.

I then changed the mode to V2 compatible mode (purple) and it now appears as a single wheel controller and both Dirt Rally and Project Cars recognise the wheel correctly and can use the joystick to navigate.

So I will run the wheel in compatible mode and for newer games (Project Cars 2 etc) try PC mode. Hopefully the double wheel glitch is something which can be fixed by a driver update.

Double wheel glitch is no glitch, its a feature!
Because of the enhanced electronics (e.g. Upgradable firmware and motor firmware) they needed to do that, see FAQ on the cse v2.5 which is also recognized two times.

https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/suppo...net&utm_campaign=General+Links&a_aid=gtplanet

In PC mode the wheel wont be recognized correctly in old unpatched games and project cars 1 is one of them which will never be updated again so no full compatibility, see FAQ.

Last edited:
Back