• 120-140 mph

Votes: 240 26.1%
  • 140+ mph (WHOA!)

Votes: 274 29.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aw... c'mon, I wouldn't rat on you... (takes screenshot). :lol:

Obviously, if you're sure the car can do it, and it's gear limited at that speed, and you've reached the gear limiter, then you know you've gone that far. But how do others know (without the aid of a certified speedometer and/or a GPS device)?

Originally Posted by cardude2004
You guys are crazy. You do this on a highway. The fastest you could go on a highway in this state is about 80mph. Above that and you get a speeding ticket. The average speed on the highway here is about 75 mph and the speed limit is 65mph. Once above the 75mph you are very likely to get caught. There is never even a large open stretch of highway to race on, even in the dark of night.

What???:confused: First its called a radar detector and it lets you go as fast as you want on the interstate. The speed limits around here are 65 in city, 70 in rural and you can do 85 easy. Second, where do you live? At 2 in the morning the interstates where I live are as dark as a piece of black paper.

Sorry, didn't get back in here until now.

It is a Feb 1988 Holden VL Commodore, built at the Salisbury plant near Adelaide, South Australia, and i am the third owner. The guy I bought it off in Feb 2005, got it for his 18th birthday from his grandfather in 2003, who bought it new in 1988. It is soon to get a set of VN SS Rims, as they will look better than the mock Centrelines, and have better airflow past the brakes. Oh, and they will be slightly more legal, I had to pump the rear guards about 30mm to fit the current tyres under them.

3,0L NA RB30DE
Bog stock (except the washable pod filter, and very slightly modified exhaust)
4-speed Auto (incl. Overdrive)

If you guys really need a pic with a sign, I can get you one, but I honestly didn't see the point...

-edit-
So you don't need tpo go hunting, my top speed in this POS is 174km/h, with plenty to spare, but it was on the speed limiter.

looks like a ford mustang and i cant drive yet so :(

Hey gOoSeTeR, one of my mates has a VL just like that, auto and everything. His has about 170 million ks on it (376,00km actually but you get the idea) and he says that he doesn't want to go too fast (above 90-100kph) in it because it gets rediculously floaty above those speeds. How does yours handle at higher speeds?

You don't really need that much power or space to reach 140mph. My car has between 130 and 140hp, depending on who you read and has a maximum geared speed of 141mph. At the 138hp it should be, it has an aero-limited speed of 141mph. I only need about a mile to reach it, if I'm already moving.

Seeing as you can buy an earlier version of my for not much more than £1000, you're looking at not much money, not that much power and an attainable 140mph in not a lot of space.

140mph is only illegal on public roads in territories where there is a maxmium set limit of less than this. I've done an indicated 141mph - but, without reference (*cough* nige *cough*) to where I did it, you cannot assume I was breaking any law.

Could you please tell me what this means? I don't need to prove to you or anybody else in relation to the speed I go in my car. So Famine, leave out the snide comments next time.
nige

The last part of that post means exactly the same as this from last week:

I'd just like to point out that knowing how fast you went is enough. We don't need to know ANY more than that. Remember that "discussion of illegal activities" is a bannable offence.

You say you've done 140mph, I will automatically assume that was on a private road or race track.

TO which, I'll add, you replied:

Castle Combe is a FAST circuit!!!!!!!!!!!
nige

Because you'd stated where you done your top speed previously.

The first part was explaining to people that though 140mph might seem fast, you can get there very easily, very cheaply.

You see, niky had asked - and I quoted that in my post - how come so many people had done 140mph+ and that he was applying to be a traffic cop. My post was pointing out that 140mph is easily attainable and not automatically illegal (unless you post on a forum that you've done it on public roads in a territory where the legal maximum for that type of road is lower than 140mph - just as you, in fact, did)

Not seeing where "snide comments" come into it.

The last part of that post means exactly the same as this from last week:

TO which, I'll add, you replied:

Because you'd stated where you done your top speed previously.

The first part was explaining to people that though 140mph might seem fast, you can get there very easily, very cheaply.

You see, niky had asked - and I quoted that in my post - how come so many people had done 140mph+ and that he was applying to be a traffic cop. My post was pointing out that 140mph is easily attainable and not automatically illegal (unless you post on a forum that you've done it on public roads in a territory where the legal maximum for that type of road is lower than 140mph - just as you, in fact, did)

Not seeing where "snide comments" come into it.

I am just trying to point out that it can be done in a relatively safe and controlled environment, ie Castle Combe in my case. Yes, you are right, 140mph on a public road is not safe or legal ( atleast in the UK). I was just responding to the thread. Actually,thinking back on it, it wasn't on the M4 but I think nearer to your neck of the woods. Atleast I don't go out of my way to advertise vast speeds by videoing the fact, as I have seen elsewhere in GTPlanet.
BMW M3 E30 VS Porsche Carrera GTthread for example
nige

Fastest You've Ever Gone in Your Car

There is one problem, it wasnt my car, the friend of my sister let me drive it with him as passenger.
It was our holiday at sweden; we drove at a long highway, they had almost no traffic there, the car was a Volvo s 60 (T5?) sport.

There was no chance to get it any faster, the engine was at its peak, about 5 kilometres later he said I shouldnt overheat the engine and I got down to 90.:guilty:

That was the ride of my live. (So far)

I've done 115 in my ten year old Plymouth Grand Voyager (minivan). I could have gone faster, there were just cars coming up and I was running out of road quick. besides, the way cops are around here, it was definately russian roulette.

rock. :cool:

I've hit 145mph on my brother sYamaha R1. There is a Budweiser plant close by that has very long and wide roads that go on for about 2 miles. Local street racers meet up out there and do their thing. It was quite an experiance.

One time I went about 95 in my 1994 Mercury Tracer. Sure, It could have at least made it to 110, but at 95 everything was shaking and I stopped it. Besides, there was a corner approaching.

One time I went about 95 in my 1994 Mercury Tracer. Sure, It could have at least made it to 110, but at 95 everything was shaking and I stopped it. Besides, there was a corner approaching.

You know why everything was shaking right? Your wheels are out of balance, if it was quite a large shake you should have it checked out.

Wow! this thread is pretty old now. :P

All legally obtained...
'98 Cadillac STS: 113mph (with ease)
'98 Toyota Camry: 113mph (killed to see it top there after having already done 113mph in the caddy... I mean, come on! just one mph more!)
'06 Toyota Corolla: 100mph (just the other day and for the first time in that specific car).

Based on the feel, the caddy was smoothest and strongest.

how exactly do you achieve 113 mph legally? Track day?

I think I've gone about 122 in my Mondeo

I used to own an '81 Mustang, reached about 170 kph in it... 205 (or so) in a '69 Mustang 428CJ (3 gears, didn't dare take it further since I was redlining it at around 190 kph already).

Track day, "private road", "unadopted" road. All's good.

As I said, the important thing with this thread, to prevent it from having to be locked for discussion of illegal activities, is to say WHAT your fastest is, not WHERE you did it.

Track day, "private road", "unadopted" road. All's good.

As I said, the important thing with this thread, to prevent it from having to be locked for discussion of illegal activities, is to say WHAT your fastest is, not WHERE you did it.

ahh... gotcha

Fastest I've gone was (exactly) 89 in my dad's Fleetwood (love them digital speedometers). That car pulls REALLY strong but the TCS just WON'T let you break it loose.

Recently i went 120+mph in a police crusier, yes a police crusier. I was following around a police officer for a carrers class . We had to respond to a call on the highway and we ended up topping out at about 120+mph. I was thrilled and it was totally legal. (it was a late model ford crown victoria with the 4.7L v8 commonly found in the mustang GT)

i once had a qvale mangusta for a couple of days and drove it to about 140 mph (220 kph) on a normal dutch road (insane but what can you do). the top was up cos otherwise my hair would be off ...
the engine was a chevy v8 with 320hp (or din pk?) and that eastern weekend was one of the best of my life.

Attachments

• qvale mangusta.jpg
    qvale mangusta.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 14
I'm such a coward!

I got up to 80mph once. Although at that speed my car starting feeling floaty, and the worlds worst tyres will probably blow up. My car has an apparent top speed of 120mph, but that would be like death to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back