Votes: 254 27.6%
  • 120-140 mph

Votes: 240 26.1%
  • 140+ mph (WHOA!)

Votes: 274 29.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
well the fastest I have driven is 95MPH in an 91' Mercury Topaz and well lets just say I NEVER WANT TO DO THAT AGAIN!!! :scared: but I was with my dad and we where on our way home and there was this chick in a Honda (she though that she was hot s**t because she had a coffee can on it) and was tailgating us then would pull out to the side move back and forth and then get behind us so my dad punched it (we where in our hopped up ZX3 Focus) and we hit 150 then he let off and the Honda was no where to be found and there where 2 other people in the car (my little brother and little sister who where a sleep) but I have been faster in a 700HP Cobra Mustang but I was to small to see the speed odometer but I asked my dad later and he said that we where going about 175 MPH ( I about killed him when I heard that ) but I was hella fun :D

140 in my 300ZX, chickened out and let off. I haven't taken either one of my Miatas (97 Miata, 04 Mazdaspeed Miata) over 110, I guess I finally grew up and realized how stupid it is to excessively speed on public roads.

Oddly enough, someone just started this same poll on Supraforums. One guy mentioned 220 (GPS verified) on his street car. :embarrassed: Stock tranny FTW! So far there's 6 people who chose "over 190" in the poll!

Oddly enough, someone just started this same poll on Supraforums. One guy mentioned 220 (GPS verified) on his street car. :embarrassed: Stock tranny FTW! So far there's 6 people who chose "over 190" in the poll!

Impressive, what is the theoretical gearing top speed of the Supra? (realistic rev limit)

Stock tires (which are undersized, and look "stretched" on the stock wheels), give exactly 204MPH at stock 6800 redline. Most owners are running 18s these days, or at least larger tires (275/40/17s are better/more common for stock wheels, which puts the redline at about 208MPH), and a raised rev limiter isn't uncommon, either. There have been quite a few publications that say you can hit 180 in stock form, with limiter removed. That's nuts for only 325HP!

^Um, I'm not sure that's possible. My friend ran his mom's '83 300D at the trac, ran a 21.xx second 1/4, I don't think it can even get up to 120.

1.If it's the Cobra (W123) version, please ignore my post :ouch:

2.If it's the W124, I think that's possible....... I reached 209 kmh with a 200e with 118 hp (EXACTLY 130mph) after 2 mins of acceleration :) And my driving instructor said that he got his Mercedes 190D 2.5 (with 90hp) up to 200 kmh (125 mph) on the Autobahn (in the early 90s), so I think a 300TD is capable of 120 :sly:

EDIT: when was the model change, W123 Cobra to----> W124 ? I presume it was 1985 ? Or 1983 ? I could be wrong:idea:

'83 is the 123 and it should be possible, my friend used to own a 300CD (coupe version of the 300D) and we had it steady at 120 exactly, the sedan is only slightly less aerodynamic and has the same 120hp engine so I'm sure that one in good running order could do it (my friends had low compression on 1 and 5 cylinders and a messed up tranny)
The 124 300D is apparently capable of over 130 mph.
EDIT: and 300TD is the wagon not the turbo version, all 300Ds are turbo after 1982 or something like that.

Slightly off topic : I was dissapointed when BMW dropped the 525tds and presented the 520d, 525d and 530d. I thought ........what, no turbo :scared: ? (Hey, I was 12 I think back then:sly: )

45mph......

please be kidding:scared:

I was kinda surprised that our extra car a '99 Taurus could peg the speedometer at 120 mph, it even felt stable though the front was a little light

EDIT: last night I had my girlfriends 240D up to 85 and I think thats all that its got, I doubt that even with the extra cylinder (her car was originally a non-turbo 300D but the engine was replaced) that the car would ever be able to peg its 120 mph speedo
EDIT#2 I just noticed your post puri, the 123 stopped production in 1985 when the 124 came out in Europe, the 124 came to the US in 1986. I've never heard the term "cobra" applied to the 123 before, where does that come from?

-> Here's my list:

1. [T] Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII GSR '04 = 167 mph
2. Subaru Impreza WRX Sport Wagon '06 = 158 mph
3. Acura Integra GS-R '92= 143 mph
4. Subaru Impreza WRX Sport Wagon '04 = 140 mph
5. Mazda 3 S 5-Door '04 = 128 mph
6. Mazda Protege5 '03 = 123 mph
7. Mazda 323 Familia Sedan {Philippines} '96 = 203 km/h
8. Honda Fit Sport '07= 115 mph
9. Honda Ridgeline RT '06 = 112 mph
10. Nissan Sentra 1.4L EX Saloon {Philippines} '93 = 182 km/h

(:

land sea air, you might want to know that I've had 3 driving lessons....

oh well in that case :)
has anyone ever been behind the wheel of a 190 16v? I'm curious as to what they can do as I think the speedo goes to 170!!

I got up to 120 in a 1983 Mercedes 300D Turbo diesel. It has no mods or anything and the speed was limited. I had all the windows down too. It was pretty thrilling.

Ye Gods... has everyone here thrashed an 80's 300D? :lol: I think we got one up to 120 mph (around 190 km/h, I think) once or twice. Word is it'd do 130, but we didn't have the opportunity at the time. Great torque on that thing, but being a diesel, it does take a while to get to those speeds.

Too bad it's on blocks right now (cracked engine block... stupid ****ing mechanics)... it was a really, really swell car.

I just noticed your post puri, the 123 stopped production in 1985 when the 124 came out in Europe, the 124 came to the US in 1986. I've never heard the term "cobra" applied to the 123 before, where does that come from?

Well it's a little hard to explain.....I come from Romania where the people don't use things like W123, W124, W201, E46, E30 and so on......so since I was a kid, everyone called the 123 the "Cobra" (has nothing to do with the "real" Cobra :sly: ). To be honest, I don't know where this came from, sadly.....I don't think people in Germany use "Cobra", but in Romania, when you say Cobra, almost everybody knows it's the W123 Benz :)

Edit: other "names" given by enthusiast-wannabes
E28 : shark
E30 : little bear
E36 : cat
W140 : tank / whale
W123 : cobra

SORRY FOR THE OFF-TOPIC :D

To be honest, I don't know where this came from, sadly.....I don't think people in Germany use "Cobra", but in Romania, when you say Cobra, almost everybody knows it's the W123 Benz :)

Thats very interesting puri, I got the 240 up to 90 today (though it wasn't because of this thread:) actually my friend bet me 10$ it couldn't do it and thats like a week and a halfs gas so what the hell. I think that makes the only cars I've ever topped out her 240 (90mph), taurus (120mph), Mazda Rx8 auto (140mph screaming:nervous: ). the last one was at lime rock speedway in connecticut before the new england gran prix two years ago. 👍 👍

Italian Tune Up... rev the nuts out of the engine (on the road, under load, mind you, not in your garage) to clear the cobwebs out. Notice this every track day... the car feels ten years younger for about a week or two afterwards. :lol:

oh lol yer :dopey: well i was doin a 5 hour trip across the country had to do something to keep me awake :lol: tho im very paranoid i wont go over the limit unless there is no other car in sight :scared: and no bridges lol
it felt a lot better when i pulled the bird off my radiator too :dopey:

I think this pollcould stand to be restarted with some higher numbers. Over 140 isn't saying a whole lot...

well sure its not a lot if you're car has real power and modern aerodynamics silly :) for those of us who don't have those 140 is plenty:dopey:
Italian tune up stems from the fact that the Webers in old Italian exotics tend to run rich at idle and over time carbon builds up in the cylinder and can affect performance. Running at high speed under load can actually blow most of this carbon out and make the car run better as niki stated.

Italian tunups are lots of fun... I do them every couple weeks (or more) on my car...

And I agree that we should reset the poll. I think the results are a wee bit outdated. I, for one, voted before I got my drivers license. It's been a few years since that...

Yeah, and there's a lot of votes for over 140, no telling how high they go. What's the max poll options you're allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back