Votes: 254 27.6%
  • 120-140 mph

Votes: 240 26.1%
  • 140+ mph (WHOA!)

Votes: 274 29.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
2 - 3 Years ago there was a Ferrari day at Haynes Motor Meseum in Yeovil - England, we went around 90 in a Ferrari Dino and around 110 Mph in a 550 Maralleno

Just discovered something very odd with my dad's tribute, driving the thing over 70mph with the rear windows fully down creates a very weird effect with the way it drives. It starts to vibrate very oddly. Very aggressively, but it goes away when the windows are back up.

The airflow over the back is different with the window open, and the added turbulence probably messes with the back end.

kylehnat
The airflow over the back is different with the window open, and the added turbulence probably messes with the back end.
I just find it odd. I mean our old car, which was a 99 Mazda protegé was fine with the back windows down at over 70. Must have something to do with the boxy structure the tribute has.

I recently drove a BMW 320si (the new one), with 2.0 I-4 with 173 HP on an empty stretch of Autobahn......and managed to reach around 235 kmh on the speedo, in a (slight) corner, and then hit a ... not bump, but a ondulation (sp?) of the road, it was pretty scary, but nothing happened :) Luckily !! When you see the speedo zip 160 180 200 220 230 ....it's pure adrenaline rush, combined with a (small) bit of fear, I HAVE to admit (who doesn't admit this ...... is a liar :D )

The nicest feeling is going in the same gear (makes sense in a diesel) say from 100 kmh to 200 kmh (60-125-ish mph), you just put your foot down......and feel the thrust from behind....you are doing nothing, but are being pushed forward ....it's such an incredible feeling.....OK....it's not recommended, but once in a while you gotta let go on the Autobahn.....

Allthough these experiences may sound really tempting, and they are, we just have to stay within our limits, especially with other cars around....that's what I'd say 👍 235 would be enough for me, even for 3-5 seconds.......

speedo indicated 96 mph from my little 1.2 1996 clio on a motorway. around 80 in my dads 2.5tdi audi a6 on an A road when he let me drive it home lol. and about 60 in a 1966 i think? rover p4 110 (2.6 or 2.4? straight 6) when i had insurance for it, again my dads but i've been in it when it's done just under 90 which aint bad for a car which weighs way over a ton, the wing mirrors start folding in from the resistancethough. Some of you guys have hit crazy speeds, the clio had a little left but i was pretty scared as it went so light on the rear as its about as aerodynamic as the moon. anyway....

A7X

I've also been 110 Mph in a Dodge Viper from a track day in the same museum

A7X
speedo indicated 96 mph from my little 1.2 1996 clio on a motorway. around 80 in my dads 2.5tdi audi a6 on an A road when he let me drive it home lol. and about 60 in a 1966 i think? rover p4 110 (2.6 or 2.4? straight 6) when i had insurance for it, again my dads but i've been in it when it's done just under 90 which aint bad for a car which weighs way over a ton, the wing mirrors start folding in from the resistancethough. Some of you guys have hit crazy speeds, the clio had a little left but i was pretty scared as it went so light on the rear as its about as aerodynamic as the moon. anyway....

A7X

Post #666 :scared:

In all seriousness, probably 105mph in my Mum's TT.

Okay so I discovered the 180km/h speed limiter last night, it feels like a giant hand came down from the sky and grabbed the spoiler.

It sucked, indicated 190km/h so the speedo is off that amount.

But now I know my car needs a wheel balance and alignment.

Taurine
Okay so I discovered the 180km/h speed limiter last night, it feels like a giant hand came down from the sky and grabbed the spoiler.

It sucked, indicated 190km/h so the speedo is off that amount.

But now I know my car needs a wheel balance and alignment.
Just FYI, a wheel balance and alignment won't adjust you're speedometer. Speedometer's take readings off of the transaxle, and send the reading to the computer, which adjusts speedo accordingly. Wheels/Tires in an ever-so-slightly smaller size than stock, will, however, cause the error you describe.

Honestly, going 130 in the WRX wasn't scary except for the worry of police, mostly because it was a completely empty, smooth, highway.

What was scary was riding in an M3 at over 100 on a twisty mountain road. Anywhere else, 100 would be nothing in the car, but this guy was flying through a straightaway at full throttle at night! (Well, not quite a straightaway... the section has curves, but they're smooth enough that you can hit the apexes of either side while going in a straight line.)

The guy knows the road really well, though, he's run it back and forth in that car hundreds of times. It was scary, but I wasn't really worried, because I knew that he knows what he's doing.

top speed really means nothing its how fast you get there counts :) ive done 115 in my old tercel and 115 in my camaro just took alot longer and was kinda scary in the 1.5 tercel

It's amazing how far top speeds have come in only a short time.

My WRX, a car that costs about $23,000 US new, will do 155 with enough road and the limiter removed. Only 15 or so years ago, that wouldn't be seen in much of anything below a Porsche or a Corvette! It seems that anything these days does at least 130, again, something that only sports cars could do a short time ago.

We hit 142 once, on the M5 in England. Jeezus, that was fast. Especially as we were in a twitchy car. (Xantia 2 litre I think).

You sure? A Xantia 2-litre should have struggled at the 125mph barrier.

Been 85mph in a land rover discovery...dam scary...specially when he swerved it, nearly toppled over..

Fastest on roads with me driving, 15mph:D same car, but on an off road trail..

benny456
We hit 142 once, on the M5 in England. Jeezus, that was fast. Especially as we were in a twitchy car. (Xantia 2 litre I think).

ultrabeat
You sure? A Xantia 2-litre should have struggled at the 125mph barrier.

if it was this one

Citroen Xantia 2.0i Turbo Activa 5d 96 (1998 / 4 - CC & Cylinders) 150bhp 132mph(top speed) 9.2(0-60) 28(mpg)

Then i would maybe believe him, i mean my 1.4 civic has a top speed of 111mph in the manual and i've had it at roughly 130 (that was when i had the 14" alloys on it right enough) got a pic of it doing 127mph cos it slowed down as i put it into 5th gear from 130 (and yes the gear ratio allows 130 in fourth and no i dont know why). Oh and i had gps sat-nav for a while and my speedo is only out by 1mph!

I was actually in a Civic VTi hatch the other nite, standard except an induction kit and it was off the clock, 145mph on the dials, but fastest car i've been in (whilst driving fast) is a Fiat Coupe Turbo with a larger turbo installed, 165+ as it was off the clock, going down the M8 (which is very bumpy at eurocentral ind est) i absolutely crapped myself that nite) couldnt believe a front wheel drive car was capable of that speed, two weeks later the turbo sucked up oil and the impalers shattered well so i was told!

104MPH in my mum's Opel Corsa with 75HP, but my brother said that he has driven the Corsa to nearly 113MPH, so i have something to test *gg*

but the fastest i've ever felt was nearly 135MPH in a Golf III GTI. a friend of my brother picked me up for a ride, damn that was fast....

viper

Has anyone noticed how many people have claimed to go over 140 mph? Can we make this one an open poll? I'd really love to know who they are. I need some ammo for my resume. I'm applying to be a traffic cop. :lol:

It isn't a car, but I just brushed 100mph on my Kawasaki today. It can do a bit more, too.

100mph is much more exhilirating on a bike, let me tell you. :lol:

LeadSlead#2
Just FYI, a wheel balance and alignment won't adjust you're speedometer. Speedometer's take readings off of the transaxle, and send the reading to the computer, which adjusts speedo accordingly. Wheels/Tires in an ever-so-slightly smaller size than stock, will, however, cause the error you describe.

Wow, didn't notice this but thank you for your advice, but I was referring to the massive pull to the left and the vibrating at 140km/h which I failed to mention so I forgive you for making that assumption.

I also managed to trap 146km/h at my local drag strip.

My dad once reached the dizzying heights of 20mph through a caravan park a while ago.

How many people can say they gone double the speed limit?

ultrabeat
How many people can say they gone double the speed limit?

Considering most max speed limits are around 70mph and most people voted for 140mph+, so I guess most people would say they have. :)

In my younger days for driving I got caught by police doing over double the speed limit, how many people can say that?

niky
Has anyone noticed how many people have claimed to go over 140 mph? Can we make this one an open poll? I'd really love to know who they are. I need some ammo for my resume. I'm applying to be a traffic cop. :lol:

You don't really need that much power or space to reach 140mph. My car has between 130 and 140hp, depending on who you read and has a maximum geared speed of 141mph. At the 138hp it should be, it has an aero-limited speed of 141mph. I only need about a mile to reach it, if I'm already moving.

Seeing as you can buy an earlier version of my for not much more than £1000, you're looking at not much money, not that much power and an attainable 140mph in not a lot of space.

140mph is only illegal on public roads in territories where there is a maxmium set limit of less than this. I've done an indicated 141mph - but, without reference (*cough* nige *cough*) to where I did it, you cannot assume I was breaking any law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back