Votes: 254 27.6%
  • 120-140 mph

Votes: 240 26.1%
  • 140+ mph (WHOA!)

Votes: 274 29.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
well, if my 1.9 Turbodiesel VW Bora (read Jetta) brought me @ 130 mph (210 kph) why shouldn't we believe that many people can pass the 140?
Almost all new TDI engines can easily pass slightly over 140 mph, think to all turbodiesel cars with a + 2.5 litres displacement and a pump injection system or common rail injection (MJET)... A6 TDI, BMW 330d, Mercedes 270 CDI, Alfa 159, and so on.

...and all of this with a diesel car. try imagine with a over 3lt gasoline engine...

And here in Italy you can see people speeding til doubling the speed limit...

managed 165kph or 105mph in a 2000 rav4 in a back road. So much wind noise and the car doesnt feel the best on the narrow road plus i had a corner coming so thats about it. In a decent straight smooth and wide and no fear of other cars coming from nowhere + no cops then im sure it would maybe do 180.

My speedometer read 120mph, but I believe that it reads about 5 mph fast, at least according to the "Your Speed Is:" police boxes, so it was probably more like 115.

I'd like to try for the 130 limiter, but I always get nervous on public roads and only try when I have a long view of empty road ahead of me.

If I get a chance in a safe environment I will really push it then.

well my old vauxhall astra 1.4 had 115mph, going downhill with the wind behind me, and that was the fastest that little sucker ever went!

My new car, 1.6 MKI Renault Megane can do 120mph on a much shorter road, if i ever travel that same stretch my astra sped down with less than a car for every few seconds i might open her up, see what we can get. I'll check the speed rating of my tyres first though.

When you think the Astra had tyres rated at 120mph, 115mph suddenly sounds dangerous!

Sadly theres no real safe place to test the length of my cars mechanics around here, might need to take a road trip sometime.

My speedometer read 120mph, but I believe that it reads about 5 mph fast, at least according to the "Your Speed Is:" police boxes, so it was probably more like 115.

Is that something that Volkswagen does? I somehow remember my speedo being two or three off. Rather odd I find:odd:.

Speedometers are usually out by a percentage, not a fixed speed. If you're 5mph fast at 30mph, then you'll probably be 10mph fast at 60mph, and so on.

Speedometers are usually out by a percentage, not a fixed speed. If you're 5mph fast at 30mph, then you'll probably be 10mph fast at 60mph, and so on.

Usually the percentage is around 4% and the law (in Italy, but i suppose it is worldwide) says that it must be positive (100 mph on the tachimeter, 96 mph real).

you can find precision devices on the market but they are very expensive.

More, if you use wheels with a different diameter compared to the original equipment (on which the device is calibrated), this percentace may change, since speed is not measured on the wheel but somewhere between gearbox and the wheel hub. this means i.e. that with a larger wheel, traced speed would be 100 but you are going a bit faster, due to the higher circumference of the wheel (and vice-versa).

They're always under to stop the manufacture being sued if you get speeding tickets because the speedo says 5mph under what you're actually traveling.

From what I had read, here in Australia the Australia Design Rules (ADR) state that a legal speedo can be inaccurate upto 10% out of the factory, yet in Victoria (AU) you can get a speeding ticket for less than that.....

Well the fastest I've gone is about 105-108MPH, Zipping up and down I-94 at about 2am in my Ford Probe GT (V6). I would drive faster but thats pretty much all that car had, and I've never had any car that could go any faster. But one day I WILL have my Vette!!!

Well, my max is 120 in the I-90 tunnel. But I slowed down to 45 before that run, so I could probably hit the 130 limiter if I started from 80.

In a Corvette we were at 250km so I think that is like 156mp unless I did the math wrong, we looked down at the speedo then looked up at the road and the cars ahead of us were fast approaching so let it off.

over the summer my dad and i were on the blue route, if you have ever been to Philadelphia/Chester/the hood/Philadelphia Airport you may know what the blue route is like. anyway, we were cruising at around 70 and some teenage girl in dady's Acura ran us onto the shoulder of the highway, we were about 2feet from the grass. she acted like we weren't even there, WE WERE DRIVING IN A FLAME RED DODGE RAM! so, my dad decided to freak her out so he chased her, he floored it and we went flying. i watched the speedo go up the gas gauge go down:). we were up around 110 and she freaked out and started weaving in and out of traffic and we lost her. i know it sounds dangerous and mean, but this lady just pissed my dad off so much had to do something.

managed 165kph or 105mph in a 2000 rav4 in a back road. So much wind noise and the car doesnt feel the best on the narrow road plus i had a corner coming so thats about it. In a decent straight smooth and wide and no fear of other cars coming from nowhere + no cops then im sure it would maybe do 180.

I'd like to try for the 130 limiter, but I always get nervous on public roads and only try when I have a long view of empty road ahead of me.

If I get a chance in a safe environment I will really push it then.

Well the fastest I've gone is about 105-108MPH, Zipping up and down I-94 at about 2am in my Ford Probe GT (V6). I would drive faster but thats pretty much all that car had, and I've never had any car that could go any faster. But one day I WILL have my Vette!!!

Please, folks, can we remember the rule about not discussing illegal activities on GTPlanet?

All we need to know in this thread is how fast you've gone in your car, not where you did it. Unless you did it on an Autobahn/derestricted road/private road/track/airfield, it's not going to be legal. So don't bring the location into it.

Incidentally, GrumpEone, the Probe V6 has 167hp and is capable of 135mph.

^Finally, someone being 100% honest in this thread.

It (My Vega) might have 75 in it somewhere...

But that means tires that aren't square. It's downright scary anywhere above 45 right now. (It sat for 6 years before I got it, so they're pretty well screwed)

Bah. It'll do 120+ in a quarter of a mile from zero in a bit here.

Incidentally, GrumpEone, the Probe V6 has 167hp and is capable of 135mph.

I bought mine used, and it was not capable of any more. Not to mention it was the first car I paid more than $2,000 for, and I got rear-ended within two weeks of owning it, and the engine block cracked within two months, and it went to the junk-yard after 3 months. Worst experience of any car I've had.

the engine block cracked within two months

That must have been a badly-abused little pup. The Mazda K-series V6 can run well into 300,000 miles with nothing more than scheduled oil changes (and a cambelt every 60,000 - though it's a non-interference engine so cambelt failure isn't terminal) and still generate near-original power and torque.

Thank GOD it's not an interference engine, eh?

I'll bet most people give up on them the instant the cambelt goes.

All we need to know in this thread is how fast you've gone in your car, not where you did it. Unless you did it on an Autobahn/derestricted road/private road/track/airfield, it's not going to be legal. So don't bring the location into it.
With all due respect, Famine, this thread has lasted 6 years and really hasn't changed its tune. I'm sure a few people lied, but let's face it, most of us were probably in excess of speed limits at the time anyhow.

What we don't need are people saying: "It was on this day at such-and-such time on this section of road with my Color Year Brand Model. For obvious reasons.

It's best if people admit they were on a restricted/limited-access, wide, isolated, and straight road with a high posted speed limit, rather than a residential neighborhood or normally busy street with traffic signals, for which you should be beaten into a pulp for trying.

Thank GOD it's not an interference engine, eh?

I'll bet most people give up on them the instant the cambelt goes.

Well... a cambelt change on a K-series V6 isn't a simple task :lol:

With all due respect, Famine, this thread has lasted 6 years and really hasn't changed its tune.

It's no real reason to let it go to the dogs.

Notwithstanding the fact that people have been successfully prosecuted for details of speeding offences posted on the internet. And, in fact, in forums too.

In my car, '92 Golf GTi, with light mods, - 134/135mph.

As a passenger, Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo, seriously modified, - 158mph...
...and it scared the crap out of me! :scared:

While on my way to Kansas City, I did a 0-100 run in my E320 in South Dakota at 4 AM. That's the fastest I've driven in that particular vehicle. And the M104 sang a beautiful song. :dopey:

80km/h... and that was in a driving school car :dunce:

In the family car I've done 50km/h (I got my licence in January, and haven't really driven since). Mind you, 1.5L 1990 Ford Laser automatics struggle to top 100 :lol:

One day, when I get my own car, I'll do more... just wait :sly:

I decided to vote, my dad pegged 90-ish MPH the other day in his TL.

Are Ford Lasers really that common down there? Turbo Lag had one of those I think.

Are Ford Lasers really that common down there? Turbo Lag had one of those I think.
New Zealand, not Australia :grumpy:

But yeah, they're as common as bread at the supermarket. Being based on the Mazda 323 and all.

Not as common as Japanese stuff with (aftermarket) exhausts the size of Jupiter, mind you :indiff:

I have went 138MPH in my uncle's 5.0 mustang, it wasn't stock though, he always worked on the inside of his car, not the outside. In other words his car is a sleeper. I also did 115MPH in a b..... ahh who cares about that. lol.

1996 Volvo 850 Turbo:
agd-128mph.jpg

2001 Audi A4 2.8:
a4_127mph-120607-2.jpg

1996 Volvo 850 Turbo:

:ill: There is so much wrong with that.

It's a Volvo. I get scared in ours at anything over freeway speeds.
You took a picture.

I just hope your parents or whoever don't get a hold on that.

ha, nice M5. i had a volvo 850. mine didnt have a turbo though. i think i may have done 100 mph in it once. but then it started to smell like burning engine parts, so i eased off.

the fastest i have ever gone in a car was 120 mph in my fathers S4. i wasnt driving though. i was shotgun. i let my friend drive it. i wasnt expecting him to wring it out through fourth gear. funny thing it i havent even gone faster than 80 in it myself :ill:

I have went 138MPH in my uncle's 5.0 mustang, it wasn't stock though, he always worked on the inside of his car, not the outside. In other words his car is a sleeper. I also did 115MPH in a b..... ahh who cares about that. lol.

I call BS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back