Flight Simulator

• Thread starter PzR Slim
  • 967 comments
As mentioned in the Horizon 5 General thread, I get my Series X tomorrow, and I'm wondering what sort of photo options are available for console?

Is it a free camera that you can compose with and does it actually have a dedicated mode?

All settings now on a mix of high and ultra and it’s buttery smooth and looking stunning, London is still not as good as other major cities like NY or Tokyo when it comes to photogrammetry but it’s smooth flying whereas before it was basically a slide show..it’s been acknowledged that it’s not up to par and it will be redone properly although not sure when, but hey..got the whole world to explore anyway :D
5880999E-C763-4F49-B3A2-2E0A3AE694F6.jpeg
C124E8C9-895F-4147-9580-7FDA1C8DB128.jpeg
1625BAF9-3CA8-42CF-86FD-A7FCAA4EE8CD.jpeg

VXR
As mentioned in the Horizon 5 General thread, I get my Series X tomorrow, and I'm wondering what sort of photo options are available for console?

Is it a free camera that you can compose with and does it actually have a dedicated mode?
This article explains it better than what could be summarized in a post:

Played Assetto Corsa Competizione last week and no Flight Sim, so maybe the ****** work week I've had is punishment hahaha?

So I've given myself leave for the rest of rhe week and will use that time to play a bit of FS. Well, after replacing the flat tyre I picked up on the weekend. Joy.

So Copenhagen is lovely.... The game seems to be smoother. But weirdly, I seem to be flying 'faster' and the game sound seems louder.

Just took the plunge with this finally on my PC, I was worried about 24 hour download.
Took 2.3 hours.
So far so good.... did a bit of training.
Had set it on non data streaming at first, did the Rio flight and was blown away...
So turned on the data streaming thing.... did the bora bora flight....

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simply utterly stunning piece of witchcraft. I can't quite beleive what i am seeing to be honest.
Sorry to hijack a console thread....but i needed to share it.

I am only on medium preset locked to 30fps for gods sakes!

My plans tomorow once the wife takes to kids to London is to take a flight around my old stomping grounds, where i was born. Leicester!!
The little airport there is next to a kart track and its only present in the game isn't it!
From there i'll head to Donington Park and Mallory Park...

I am in love...

Has anyone on Xbox been able to tell any benefit in changing the rolling cache size? I actually think the game seems to perform best when left at the default 8 GB rolling cache.

Yesterday I tried increasing it to 100 GB, but afterwards the game started to feel sluggish. Then I deleted the cache file entirely and restored the default 8 GB cache. After a system reboot the game was smooth again. It seems weird but that’s what I noticed.

Sorry to hijack a console thread....but i needed to share it.

I’m quite sure this is thread is for both PC and Xbox players.

Has anyone on Xbox been able to tell any benefit in changing the rolling cache size? I actually think the game seems to perform best when left at the default 8 GB rolling cache.

Yesterday I tried increasing it to 100 GB, but afterwards the game started to feel sluggish. Then I deleted the cache file entirely and restored the default 8 GB cache. After a system reboot the game was smooth again. It seems weird but that’s what I noticed.
Will give it a try...

Copenhagen city areas seemed great, but the countryside was doing this last night...

Last edited:
If you have a fast internet connection then there really is no need to use rolling cache, unless you only fly in the same area over and over again which is ok for some but kinda defeats the purpose of having the entire planet to explore.
Having said that though I do fly ALOT around the Mach Loop in VR 😁

So now my flights (4 in a row) end in a collision with nothing there. I'm 1500ft above the ground over Dublin and boom, "You collided with an object. Do you want to restart"..

Also, when I went to settings, data it says something like "your Xbox settings won't allow you to play multiplayer."

Annoyed, I deleted the game and doing the long slog download.

Last edited:
So now my flights (4 in a row) end in a collision with nothing there. I'm 1500ft above the ground over Dublin and boom, "You collided with an object. Do you want to restart"..

Also, when I went to settings, data it says something like "your Xbox settings won't allow you to play multiplayer."

Annoyed, I deleted the game and doing the long slog download.
That would be bloody annoying....

Did the obligatory flight(s) over NY today.

I wonder if there's any other place or date which will gather this much people flying at the same time. Incredible.

With the mechanics set to easy and the flight model resembling GTAV, I've turned off the HUD and now I'm just gracefully soaring above South Devon and my hometown in awe of the technology.

Sad to see the lighthouse on Plymouth Hoe has been replaced with a small cottage by AI, though.

Last edited:
Am I missing something or do you have to stay on the Contents screen while downloading the world updates etc?

If I go to xbox dash, it seems to stop. If I try watch YouTube on xbox while it's downloading, it stops.

Bloody stupid download system if true, or bloody stupid me if I'm missing something obvious.

Tried flying around Johannesburg and about 1/3rd of the city is 2D drawings on the ground, buildings not rendering.

I know it's Africa but the highways are not made of dirt hahaha

Getting mighty frustrated.

Last edited:
Yeah also in other cities. Normal houses are fine in most cases but everything a bit more complex is really crappy. Same for Lighthouses, TV-Towers, Churches, etc. But I hope they keep improving it since it is a long term project, also the algorythm creating procedual buildings will improve over time.

Not touched one of my driving sims all weekend.
Done so much, but also so little.
Just within 100 miles each way of my house is a game in itself...madness.
First shot is Asfordby in Melton Mowbray (bros area)
Rest are Stainmore in Cumbria, mum and dads old cottage is nestled in one of the pics...

20210912163305_1.jpg
20210912165507_1.jpg
20210912170256_1.jpg
20210912170418_1.jpg
20210912165859_1.jpg

How hard is this game for controller? I recently got an S and am thinking about getting this just for fun. Can you have simple settings so you don't have to click all those buttons in the cockpit?

Back