Formula 1 2021-2022 Off-Season and Mid-season break threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 767 comments
Bahrain's exclusivity on 2022's first test is F1's equivalent of an NFT bro taking a massive L.

Barcelona just right-clicked and saved as the 🤬 out of it.

I hope they go to the social media and talk about a wonderful first test session.

I'm looking forward to seeing the McLaren, that definitely didn't have a shakedown yesterday, have the first of 3 long shakedowns this week from tomorrow.

Last edited:
90 minutes to go on day 1 of TeShakedown. When it's over, let's see what kind of massive conclusions are made by everyone from one day of unknown running.

No wonder Red Bull didn't show their car. There's some madness going on there.

Praise be to Yevon Newey

Last edited:
Apparently Hamilton set some fastest sectors but backed off in others. Norris fastest when they gave him C4s, before that Ferrari was on top on C3s with Merc not far behind. Alfa and Haas had issues with parts and didn’t get much running, but despite that Bottas was only a few tenths off verstappen.

No wonder Red Bull didn't show their car. There's some madness going on there.

Praise be to Yevon Newey

That Red Bull looks nuts. Look at how much forward their floor starts, relative to where the driver is sitting and to the front wheels. And look at how crazy wide the floor is at front relative to the rest of the bodywork. That thing looks like it will be stuck to the ground like it's glued down. And the design at the rear is equally crazy. Amazing looking car. Makes the Ferrari look like a box on wheels in comparison lol.
I also think that a lot of teams are gonna copy that radiator inlet part stat. Cause that's just brilliant.

Attachments

• 2022-Red-Bull-RB18-pre-season-test-Day-1-Barcelona-February-22-sidepod-area-undercut-Photo-Red...jpg
    2022-Red-Bull-RB18-pre-season-test-Day-1-Barcelona-February-22-sidepod-area-undercut-Photo-Red...jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 2022-Red-Bull-RB18-shakedown-Barcelona-February-22-side-shot-Photo-Red-Bull.jpg
    2022-Red-Bull-RB18-shakedown-Barcelona-February-22-side-shot-Photo-Red-Bull.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 14
  • XPB_1127179_HiRes.jpg
    XPB_1127179_HiRes.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 15
  • 62160130d4079c9ae002f27cb393e6bc0bf7c761fa56c.jpg
    62160130d4079c9ae002f27cb393e6bc0bf7c761fa56c.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
That Red Bull looks nuts. Look at how much forward their floor starts, relative to where the driver is sitting and to the front wheels. And look at how crazy wide the floor is at front relative to the rest of the bodywork. That thing looks like it will be stuck to the ground like it's glued down. And the design at the rear is equally crazy. Amazing looking car. Makes the Ferrari look like a box on wheels in comparison lol.
I also think that a lot of teams are gonna copy that radiator inlet part stat. Cause that's just brilliant.

I'm not jumping on the Newey bandwagon just yet. They took until the last season to get on par with Merc with the last regs. And that was helped by the rule trimming the rear section of the floor handing the advantage to the high rake concept.

Newey has made some great cars, but he has made some real duds and tricky beasts as well. Radical doesn't always mean fast. Remember the stillborn MP4-18?

Couple of interesting quotes from todays press conferences...

Verstappen says it is "very unfair" that Masi has been removed and that he has been "thrown under the bus"."To have sacked him, I find it incredible," he said. "I feel very sorry for Michael because he was very capable and good."

& from someone just a teeny weeny bit more selfless.... (re: Ukraine / Russian GP)

Four-time champion Sebastian Vettel has just said: "I should not go, I will not go. We should not race in the country. I am sorry for the innocent people who are being killed for stupid reasons."

Quite the contrast im sure you will agree, in a way Verstappen's alternate reality does have some parallels with Putin's rhetoric. I have a lot of respect Sebastien Vettel's fine words.

Last edited:

Verstappen says it is "very unfair" that Masi has been removed and that he has been "thrown under the bus"."To have sacked him, I find it incredible," he said. "I feel very sorry for Michael because he was very capable and good."

& from someone just a teeny weeny bit more selfless.... (re: Ukraine / Russian GP)

Four-time champion Sebastian Vettel has just said: "I should not go, I will not go. We should not race in the country. I am sorry for the innocent people who are being killed for stupid reasons."

Quite the contrast im sure you will agree, in a way Verstappen's alternate reality does have some parallels with Putin's rhetoric. I have a lot of respect Sebastien Vettel's fine words.
Christian "F1 misses Charlie Whiting" Horner said the same a couple days ago.

Season must have officially started for Red Bull to already be making questionable statements.

It seems odd we're talking about cancelling/boycotting Russia for invading Ukraine, when the calls to cancel Azerbaijan after they invaded Armenia last year were pretty quiet.
I suppose if we want to go down that rabbit hole they've never cancelled a GP in UK or the US despite our own false flagged oil wars...

Christian "F1 misses Charlie Whiting" Horner said the same a couple days ago.

Season must have officially started for Red Bull to already be making questionable statements.
Verstappen joined Vettel in his decision to not go to Russia as long as this is on going.

I doubt Liberty will do anything because it will affect money, but they should strongly consider banning any livery on the Haas team that resembles last year's.

I doubt Liberty will do anything because it will affect money, but they should strongly consider banning any livery on the Haas team that resembles last year's.
Binotto, I believe, made a comment that the teams/drivers will holding a meeting tonight to discuss it.

That will surely be awkward for you-know-who.

That I give him all the credit for. It's joining Horner in his comments over Masi that come across silly.
But he also criticized both Horner and Wolff for being allowed to scream into Masi's ears. He compared it to allowing football managers to scream directly in the ears of the referee.

But he also criticized both Horner and Wolff for being allowed to scream into Masi's ears. He compared it to allowing football managers to scream directly in the ears of the referee.
If that's the case, I'll turn & give him credit. That wasn't included in the post I responded to, but it didn't come across as surprising given how Horner has been in his ear at times.

If that's the case, I'll turn & give him credit. That wasn't included in the post I responded to, but it didn't come across as surprising given how Horner has been in his ear at times.
From Nu.nl through Google translate:

Max Verstappen has Thursday at a press conference at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya fiercely spoken out about the dismissal of Michael Masi as race director in Formula 1. According to the reigning world champion, the Australian has been "thrown in front of the bus" by the FIA. Masi had to leave the field as a result of the controversial final stage of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, in which Verstappen eventually took his first world title at the expense of Lewis Hamilton.

"It's not the right decision," Verstappen said. "He suddenly had to take over after the death of Charlie Whiting, who was very experienced. And even he had help around him. Michael might have used that too. But they threw him in front of the bus." "I sent him a message after it had become known," said the Limburger, who was particularly bothered by the way team bosses such as Toto Wolff of Mercedes, but also his own team boss Christian Horner of Red Bull could talk directly to Masi.

"It was unfair what happened to him. Imagine that a referee on a football field constantly has the coaches screaming in his ear. That Formula 1 allowed the team bosses to do that with him was already wrong. That way he could not make good decisions," Verstappen was clear. "The people who allowed that, have now fired him. I think that's incredible." The Dutchman always thought Masi was a good race leader. "That doesn't mean I have anything against the new people, they are probably also very good. But I have to deal with Michael."

'Masi always tried to protect us' The reigning world champion received support from Fernando Alonso, who sat next to him at the press conference. "Yes, I don't have much to add," said the Spaniard winkingly as Verstappen finished his lashing out at the FIA. "Michael always tried to protect us," he praised. "Of course, decisions don't always work out in your favor. That happened to me too. But I also remember the Belgian GP, when he didn't send us onto the wet track despite pressure from outside." Alonso stressed that it was Masi's job to make firm decisions. "That was asked of him. And you will never succeed in making everyone happy."

From Nu.nl through Google translate:

Max Verstappen has Thursday at a press conference at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya fiercely spoken out about the dismissal of Michael Masi as race director in Formula 1. According to the reigning world champion, the Australian has been "thrown in front of the bus" by the FIA. Masi had to leave the field as a result of the controversial final stage of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, in which Verstappen eventually took his first world title at the expense of Lewis Hamilton.

"It's not the right decision," Verstappen said. "He suddenly had to take over after the death of Charlie Whiting, who was very experienced. And even he had help around him. Michael might have used that too. But they threw him in front of the bus." "I sent him a message after it had become known," said the Limburger, who was particularly bothered by the way team bosses such as Toto Wolff of Mercedes, but also his own team boss Christian Horner of Red Bull could talk directly to Masi.

"It was unfair what happened to him. Imagine that a referee on a football field constantly has the coaches screaming in his ear. That Formula 1 allowed the team bosses to do that with him was already wrong. That way he could not make good decisions," Verstappen was clear. "The people who allowed that, have now fired him. I think that's incredible." The Dutchman always thought Masi was a good race leader. "That doesn't mean I have anything against the new people, they are probably also very good. But I have to deal with Michael."

'Masi always tried to protect us' The reigning world champion received support from Fernando Alonso, who sat next to him at the press conference. "Yes, I don't have much to add," said the Spaniard winkingly as Verstappen finished his lashing out at the FIA. "Michael always tried to protect us," he praised. "Of course, decisions don't always work out in your favor. That happened to me too. But I also remember the Belgian GP, when he didn't send us onto the wet track despite pressure from outside." Alonso stressed that it was Masi's job to make firm decisions. "That was asked of him. And you will never succeed in making everyone happy."
The only thing I'll say in contrast to Max is that Masi was criticized quite a lot throughout the season for questionable decisions, regardless of who it benefited. The Belgian GP comment springs to mind b/c they ended up being sent out & then immediately brought back in just to put the race in the books.

I think Masi's firing can be seen as justified based on the entire season than what everyone clearly still has fresh on their minds.

I think Masi's firing can be seen as justified based on the entire season than what everyone clearly still has fresh on their minds.
Oh definitely, he wasn't up for the task at all. He could have used some experienced aides to help in the decision making.

Back