Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 1,964 comments

Who will win the Driver's Championship?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah, it's not evidence that Hamilton is quitting, but it means that Hamilton having a contract can't be taken as a guarantee he's not quitting.

What Merc fans fail to realize is that the moment they refused to pit for softs under SC was the moment they lost the championship because it was obvious that such a title fight would never end under the SC. A red flag was another option but for some reason it didn't happen.
Now whether Masi let all lapped cars through or not wouldn't have changed anything either. When you consider this, all the anger is simply there because Lewis lost thanks to a lucky crash.

For all those saying that Lewis was robbed on the last lap because of the safety car call... no.
Lewis robbed himself earlier in the season, he should have already had enough points in the bag going into the final race that this situation shouldn't have mattered at all. He threw away plenty of points all on his own during the year, stop focusing on the final lap of the entire season.

it was obvious that such a title fight would never end under the SC
No it wasn't. Safety comes first. If they couldn't get the area cleared up in time, it would have to have ended under SC. Merc knew the rules and if they were followed to a tee it WOULD have ended under the SC, because it would have done an extra lap after the unlapping.

Like I said if the crash happened on the penultimate lap do you think they'd have finished under green, racing past the Williams? Of course not.

Yes, it was still a gamble but it would have equally been a gamble to pit. If VER didn't pit HAM would have been in 2nd and if it ended behind SC, how stupid would they have looked?
For all those saying that Lewis was robbed on the last lap because of the safety car call... no.
Lewis robbed himself earlier in the season, he should have already had enough points in the bag going into the final race that this situation shouldn't have mattered at all. He threw away plenty of points all on his own during the year, stop focusing on the final lap of the entire season.
Pretty sure everyone knows that, it's why 99% of people have no problem VER taking the title. He earned it over the season. It doesn't change the fact that it DID all came down to that last lap and the bad call from Masi though. What if's and could've beens are gone.

Last edited:
What Merc fans fail to realize is that the moment they refused to pit for softs under SC was the moment they lost the championship because it was obvious that such a title fight would never end under the SC. A red flag was another option but for some reason it didn't happen.
Now whether Masi let all lapped cars through or not wouldn't have changed anything either. When you consider this, all the anger is simply there because Lewis lost thanks to a lucky crash.
Quelle surprise. No doubt yet another Max fan who completely and utterly fails to grasp what the actual problem was.

It was nothing to do with Max. It was nothing to do with Lewis. It was nothing to do with Redbull. It was nothing to do with Mercedes.

But at least there's something to argue about. Having something winning the WDC's unchallenged year after year gets a bit boring.

But at least there's something to argue about. Having something winning the WDC's unchallenged year after year gets a bit boring.
Indeed. I don't think it's been a classic season in terms of the racing, given that a lot of the wins were one sided and theycouldn't race together cleanly most of the time, but it was certainly more interesting to watch on the whole.

So get ready for next season, new regs usually leads to one team nailing it and walking away with it.

Indeed. I don't think it's been a classic season in terms of the racing, given that a lot of the wins were one sided and theycouldn't race together cleanly most of the time, but it was certainly more interesting to watch on the whole.

So get ready for next season, new regs usually leads to one team nailing it and walking away with it.
😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

Button_Spain_2009.jpg

Edit: Yeah, yeah, I know they struggled the second half of the season and just about held on but... shush!! :lol:

Last edited:

Will be interesting to see what happens to the pecking order. I'm convinced there will be a surprise or 2. A team is gonna slide and a team is gonna rise. I put my money on those teams being Red Bull and Aston Martin respectively.

Will be interesting to see what happens to the pecking order. I'm convinced there will be a surprise or 2. A team is gonna slide and a team is gonna rise. I put my money on those teams being Red Bull and Aston Martin respectively.
RB it's mainly going to come down to how smooth the transition from factory Honda to Honda assisted has been I think. If it's been a cluster**** behind the scenes then we might see an underdeveloped car combined with a new engine that blows up every week.

With everyone else it really could be anyone. IIRC the 2022 cars have a lot less rake by the regulations which could indeed be good for AM and bad for Red Bull, but with so much else changing I really don't know.

I'm looking forward to seeing the differences they come up with though, because they're definitely not all gonna look like the sample FIA car.

😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

Button_Spain_2009.jpg

Edit: Yeah, yeah, I know they struggled the second half of the season and just about held on but... shush!! :lol:
They would've lost both titles that year if Vettel hadn't waited until the halfway mark to work out how not to crash.

Looks like they were too drunk to realise what actually went down.

Lowest common denominator wins in such situations.

Last edited:
[Brawn] would've won it easily if their budget for the season was more than £2.40 though, and they could develop it properly.
And (personal fanboying) Barrichello might would have beaten Button if he didn't have such an intimate relationship with his anti-stall.

Also the team bosses (except Ferrari who didn't vote) selected Max as the best F1 driver of 2021.

F1 teams principals' Top 10 drivers of 2021:​

PositionDriverPointsPrevious year
1Max Verstappen188Up 1
2Lewis Hamilton174Down 1
3Lando Norris100Up 4
4Carlos Sainz70Up 4
5Fernando Alonso63Re-entry
6Charles Leclerc58Down 3
7Pierre Gasly56Up 3
8George Russell44Down 2
9Valtteri Bottas43No change
10Esteban Ocon41Re-entry

Also the team bosses (except Ferrari who didn't vote) selected Max as the best F1 driver of 2021.

F1 teams principals' Top 10 drivers of 2021:​

PositionDriverPointsPrevious year
1Max Verstappen188Up 1
2Lewis Hamilton174Down 1
3Lando Norris100Up 4
4Carlos Sainz70Up 4
5Fernando Alonso63Re-entry
6Charles Leclerc58Down 3
7Pierre Gasly56Up 3
8George Russell44Down 2
9Valtteri Bottas43No change
10Esteban Ocon41Re-entry
I am stunned that Mazepin didn't finish top 10.

Mercedes has to decide if they want to be part of a corrupt organization who have fans, media, officials and all other teams united in rooting against them. Seems like pointless publicity.

If this is Bottas's send off, what will they do for Hamilton (when he leaves).

That's actually super sweet. I know that Bottas' tenure with Merc has been tumultuous at times, and that he considers the end result a failure, but I don't think anybody could claim that Mercedes doesn't care about him if they're going to give him that big of a send-off.
Merc will probably leave F1 when Hamilton retires.
Ehhh, I think that'll more come down to how Russell performs. If Lewis leaves and Russell ends up being a nothingburger (that is, relative to the likes of Verstappen, Leclerc and Norris), then I can see them pulling the plug at that point.

Back