Formula 1 Hungarian Grand Prix 2024Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 250 comments
I think Lando’s original plan was to let him through after the final corner on the final lap a la Barrichello at the 2002 Austrian GP. The idea that this race could still potentially end under a safety car probably caused him to cede the lead earlier

I think he thought “I’m 6 seconds clear, leading in the championship and with a real shot of winning the championship this year, McLaren will come to their senses”. He was wrong. What a colossal **** up.

Verstappen is very lucky McLaren decided to go for the sentimental move as opposed to the logical move. All the same, Red Bull has a problem on their hands.

Same old Verstappen - doesn't know any other way of overtaking him other than dive bombing Hamilton. It's been very cringe hearing him on the radio today.
That was more out of frustration, accumulated through strategy disagreements with the team and GP not exactly trying to appease him

The radio messages were the most exciting part of the day, especially Max's. 😅

Race left a bad taste in my mouth. I should be stoked with a McLaren 1-2. 😤

SVgKToBLI6S6DUye1Y.webp

Congrats to Oscar. McLaren can suck a butt for their pit calls... they did it to themselves. I get wanting maximum points for Lando. I get it. I want him up there fighting for the WDC, but c'mon. It's like they were actively trying to scuttle Oscar's race. Bleh. Nice WCC points. 😤

Glad Lewis and Charles were able to take points out of Max and Red Bull.

Not sure what was more awkward... Lewis, Lando, or Oscar forcing a smile talking to Nico. 😅

That was more out of frustration, accumulated through strategy disagreements with the team and GP not exactly trying to appease him
Frustration or not, I think one thing that hasn't changed is his aggression level whenever he's racing against Lewis. Lewis not backing down either means there's always going to be sparks between those 2 guys. Today though, Max was just very childish.

Whatever. The Team asked him and he did it. Semantics don't change that.

It's an absolutely stupid decision by McLaren and clearly shows the lack of mentality you need to win championships.

Lando did the smart thing of waiting until he was sure that there was no danger from behind because Oscar was slow on his last stint as always.

Only after Lewis and Max crashed he waited 6 (!) seconds for Oscar to catch up.

Really dumb decision from McLaren, but in all fairness it's time for Lando to learn how to start.

Aside from the aforementioned Hamilton/Rosberg, I'd also suggest Vettel/Webber and Hamilton/Alonso since the start of the millenium, then yeah probably Prost/Senna in 89, although Mansell and Patrese for Williams '92 were never exactly fond of each other, but Nigel was so far ahead of Riccardo, there wasn't really any competition.
Vettel/Leclerc with teaching the world what Bockmist means

1721574924751.png

"Lambiase told Verstappen that the medical delegate should check him again.

Verstappen: 'Let them send that medical delegate to the stewards to see if they are okay. I'm completely fine.' #F1 "
Season 9 Reaction GIF by The Office

For McLaren's sake, I hope they don't lose the WDC by 7 or less points.

Max is leading by 76 points. They could have closed the gap by roughly 10%!

How can you let such an opportunity pass?

Seeing them screw up consistently for like 7 races in a row has been painful.

I'm rooting for McLaren to beat Red Bull for the WCC (considering Perez position) but the way they went about it today is just odd considering they have a driver that is clearly P2 in the WDC and should be supported (although Lando has also underperform to some extent)

I get it they were trying to cover Lewis, but was that even necessary considering their pace advantage? They shot themselves in the foot and Lando made them look like they are not ready to fight for a championship.

That was the most bush league 1-2 I've seen in 17 years of watching F1. The McLaren pitwall are a joke.

Max is leading by 76 points. They could have closed the gap by roughly 10%!

How can you let such an opportunity pass?

Seeing them screw up consistently for like 7 races in a row has been painful.
I’m guessing they must have had some kind of a pre-race agreement that probably dictated whoever led out of turn 1 or by the end of lap 1 would be prioritised to win. That would explain why they asked Lando to let Oscar through from the moment both had made their final stop.

Latest Posts

Back