Formula 1 Pirelli United States Grand Prix 2024Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 95 comments
In their defense, Max wasn't overtaking 😅
That part is important in this case.

Max did get a strike for track limits. Here is the document for the decision on Lando.

1729463401866.png

It was wrong for McLaren to tell Lando that he was ahead at the apex.

That part is important in this case.

Max did get a strike for track limits. Here is the document for the decision on Lando.

View attachment 1399151
It was wrong for McLaren to tell Lando that he was ahead at the apex.
The only reason Max was ahead at the apex is because he braked too late, as evidenced by him going off track with all 4 wheels and pushing Lando wide as a result; I suppose that’s a loophole

The only reason Max was ahead at the apex is because he braked too late, as evidenced by him going off track with all 4 wheels and pushing Lando wide as a result; I suppose that’s a loophole
From the heli shot, it actually looked like Verstappen eased off the brakes to be ahead at the apex. Button made the point in the post race that he likely did that knowing the rules and how it would be judged.

Hopefully Lando can win the WDC, cheaters really should not prosper. McLaren need to bring their floor upgrade as soon as possible. If Ferrari can take points of Red Bull, might open up chance for Lando if they can get ahead of Ferrari in terms of speed.

Investigation needs to go into FIA, why Max gets away with so much and why they nitpick his rivals on arbitrary reasoning to try and get them a penalty. Appeals of decisions should be allowed to stop corruption, FIA should at least apologise for bad decisions. It seemed very dodgy that Lando got investigated yesterday due to race director reporting him for erratic driving when there was nothing erratic about it. Max takes the lead temporarily forcing a driver off-track and potentially driving off-track to make it stick and it didn't seem to be investigated / reported to the stewards by the race director? Very dodgy again, maybe driver preference or nationality coming into play.

I think going by this, best not even brake for turn one, just go long aiming towards the apex and rejoin ahead. So what if you gain loads of positions, it is lap one, nothing to see there... May as well go off at the chicane in Monaco where track position is king. If at risk of getting overtaken, just take a strike for off-track and keep position as you will be the car ahead at the apex. If the other car avoids you and makes the move stick around you, they get the penalty. However, I think if your name is Max, he would get away with both without a penalty. They probably saw how close Oscar was and gave no penalty to Max for forcing a driver off-track so he would have ended up with a bigger points loss if rules were followed.

Mercedes let things stand in number of races in 2021 that even Adrian Newey called Max out about it. I think even one of them, stewards applied the wrong type of penalty to Max so should have been appealed. Lewis should have had a healthy lead if rules were followed going into the last race and would have made things easier as then Mercedes would not need to be as afraid of Max's and race director antics. Need Toto and the others to step up this time and force FIA to eradicate the clear bias towards one driver in racing situations. Wonder if we will see anything like 2021 again. They did not follow their rules and to have a message like what would be in plain English, only cars ahead of Max will not be able to race on the final lap and race restart procedure will begin once they have passed Lewis still seems ridiculous to this day. I understand Toto said he got the race director back up before the race by giving feedback and Jonathan Wheatley seems to know hypnosis but rules should not be changed so much just to suit one team and driver. Had Red Bull literally directing the race, even today Christian said the race director was on their side straightaway about the overtake by Lando.

It needs to be looked into and a process needs to be put in place that decisions can be challenged to people that their profession are being judges or in law so they understand what is meant by the rulebook. At least then, race director's or stewards will less likely feel they can get away with leniency towards one particular driver if they know they can be challenged internally and their reputation and position is at stake. I don't get why they don't just have the people who write up the rules as the people who judge the decisions instead. Seems silly not to have professionals doing the judging. Can't believe a sport that is valued in the tens of the billions have unpaid stewards doing the decision making and marshals who are in charge of safety and security are also unpaid. Is there any other sport where this happens? There is more than enough money in this sport to try and get the best people working in key areas on a permanent basis, that would create a certain standard and consistency that would be much appreciated.

To the letter of the law, the penalty to Lando was correct, but the law is flawed and racing quality will deteriorate if unchanged. What Max did was good defending based on the rules they've got to work with, and he's really done the same thing for a while now. It doesn't promote good race craft, as its just a matter of parking your car on the inside, knowing that you own the corner, and running the other wide because they have no other choice.

If it continues this way, passing with be confined to DRS straights.

Hopefully Lando can win the WDC, cheaters really should not prosper. McLaren need to bring their floor upgrade as soon as possible. If Ferrari can take points of Red Bull, might open up chance for Lando if they can get ahead of Ferrari in terms of speed.

Investigation needs to go into FIA, why Max gets away with so much and why they nitpick his rivals on arbitrary reasoning to try and get them a penalty. Appeals of decisions should be allowed to stop corruption, FIA should at least apologise for bad decisions. It seemed very dodgy that Lando got investigated yesterday due to race director reporting him for erratic driving when there was nothing erratic about it. Max takes the lead temporarily forcing a driver off-track and potentially driving off-track to make it stick and it didn't seem to be investigated / reported to the stewards by the race director? Very dodgy again, maybe driver preference or nationality coming into play.

I think going by this, best not even brake for turn one, just go long aiming towards the apex and rejoin ahead. So what if you gain loads of positions, it is lap one, nothing to see there... May as well go off at the chicane in Monaco where track position is king. If at risk of getting overtaken, just take a strike for off-track and keep position as you will be the car ahead at the apex. If the other car avoids you and makes the move stick around you, they get the penalty. However, I think if your name is Max, he would get away with both without a penalty. They probably saw how close Oscar was and gave no penalty to Max for forcing a driver off-track so he would have ended up with a bigger points loss if rules were followed.

Mercedes let things stand in number of races in 2021 that even Adrian Newey called Max out about it. I think even one of them, stewards applied the wrong type of penalty to Max so should have been appealed. Lewis should have had a healthy lead if rules were followed going into the last race and would have made things easier as then Mercedes would not need to be as afraid of Max's and race director antics. Need Toto and the others to step up this time and force FIA to eradicate the clear bias towards one driver in racing situations. Wonder if we will see anything like 2021 again. They did not follow their rules and to have a message like what would be in plain English, only cars ahead of Max will not be able to race on the final lap and race restart procedure will begin once they have passed Lewis still seems ridiculous to this day. I understand Toto said he got the race director back up before the race by giving feedback and Jonathan Wheatley seems to know hypnosis but rules should not be changed so much just to suit one team and driver. Had Red Bull literally directing the race, even today Christian said the race director was on their side straightaway about the overtake by Lando.

It needs to be looked into and a process needs to be put in place that decisions can be challenged to people that their profession are being judges or in law so they understand what is meant by the rulebook. At least then, race director's or stewards will less likely feel they can get away with leniency towards one particular driver if they know they can be challenged internally and their reputation and position is at stake. I don't get why they don't just have the people who write up the rules as the people who judge the decisions instead. Seems silly not to have professionals doing the judging. Can't believe a sport that is valued in the tens of the billions have unpaid stewards doing the decision making and marshals who are in charge of safety and security are also unpaid. Is there any other sport where this happens? There is more than enough money in this sport to try and get the best people working in key areas on a permanent basis, that would create a certain standard and consistency that would be much appreciated.
I didn't even know Verstappen owned an Xbox.

Back