Forza Horizon 5: General Discussion

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 18,967 comments
If you think it`s needed yeah, if not save it for a lighter flywheel;)
Flywheels are essentially useless, for the most part they don't add enough to choose it over better handling. In fact, I only ever select a flywheel when I need to fill a 1-2 point PI gap to max out a class. They've never seemed necessary, especially when you start using manual w/ clutch.

The problem I have with locking all those cars everyone wants behind seasonal/series points isn’t so much the difficulty to me, it’s that it’s such a blah-blah monotonous thing each week. It’s like “Well I’ll guess I’ll do all of this pretty-much-the-same stuff again this week so I can get the car” type of thing.

I get that they want to keep people engaged, and they also want to make it feel like a reward to get some of those cars. After a while though, it feels more and more like work instead of fun. I don’t really have any answers on how to do it all different, but the season/series thing is starting to feel a bit stale.
Being the delivery vector for exclusive cars or other desirable rewards makes the playlist too important. It should be something you can ignore without losing out on so much. It is filler by design. That's what dailies/weeklies/monthlies are. Extended tasks for players who have seen and done about everything already, and a carrot for participating in online things. It works well for that.

I don't mind putting in the miles to acquire a car like the 22B or AE86, but the playlist isn't fun and is heavy-handed for that kind of reward. Since my save data loss, I've put more energy into the damned playlists than the races and modes they draw from. Like...there's already a whole game here. I just wanted my first-gen Impreza and tofumobile.

Incentives and rewards are messy across the whole game, IMHO. I just don't really get what they're going for.

Last edited:
Flywheels are essentially useless, for the most part they don't add enough to choose it over better handling. In fact, I only ever select a flywheel when I need to fill a 1-2 point PI gap to max out a class. They've never seemed necessary, especially when you start using manual w/ clutch.
Definetly not in my book, but how important will depend on the project. It`s no point in a faster shifting gearbox if the engine revs up slow. And if your shifting is slow you`ll loose momentum..

Last edited:
Definetly not in my book, but how important will depend on the project. It`s no point in a faster shifting gearbox if the engine revs up slow. And if your shifting is slow you`ll losse momentum..
Eh, I myself never found any importance out of the flywheel or clutch changes. It just isn't beneficial enough over, well, anything else in my opinion. Better handling, or more horsepower was always more helpful than shifting ever so slightly faster - and again, with manual clutch it practically becomes useless at that point.

On the subject of manual clutch, it bothers me that on Forza Horizon there isn't enough buttons to be able to set it up on a standard Xbox pad. If I want to use it I have to lose the ability to change views. Which is stupid. FM doesn't have the same issue because it doesn't have things that are required to be locked in like FH does, like the map for instance, or the stupid text chat things you send to players.

Last edited:
Imarobot; I know most "tuners" does not understand this part of tuning, that`s why I brought it up :rolleyes:
Well I do, and simply offered my opinion on the matter. So thanks for the attitude.

Last edited:
I did get the no headlights problem on Series X a few times but it takes a while to happen. The first few rounds of Horizon Open is usually fine but by the 4th or 5th round the races are just dark and no headlights. If you quit Horizon Open and the open world is night time, the headlights remain broken until you do something else.
This just happened again. And as soon as I quit back to free roam the lights illuminated the road and surroundings.

I took a video here just to prove to any sceptics (if there are any) that my brightness isn't turned down. It's on the default of 50.

Last edited:
This just happened again. And as soon as I quit back to free roam the lights illuminated the road and surroundings.

I took a video here just to prove to any sceptics (if there are any) that my brightness isn't turned down. It's on the default of 50.

The other weird thing here is the taillights randomly changing from red to white and back again.

Why would installing drift suspension give me a +0.5 advantage in handling compared to race suspension? I was building a Lotus Elan for C Class rivals and noticed this but I thought the suspension options were basically just tuning presets, with no fundamental differences.

Does tuning a car now affect the numbers displayed for things like handling?
The PI rating is calculated based on the default settings for the part - this is why transmission upgrades vary wildly in added PI from car to car. For a 4-speed muscle car with a limited top speed, a 5-speed overdrive box is a big PI jump, but for a way over-geared Cayman retaining the same 7 gears it's barely an upgrade.

This in theory makes the upgrades for some cars a little overpowered, for example tuning the final drive in the Cayman to be much shorter for better acceleration, but keeping the PI from the original long ratio as initially equipped.

The PI rating is calculated based on the default settings for the part - this is why transmission upgrades vary wildly in added PI from car to car. For a 4-speed muscle car with a limited top speed, a 5-speed overdrive box is a big PI jump, but for a way over-geared Cayman retaining the same 7 gears it's barely an upgrade.

This in theory makes the upgrades for some cars a little overpowered, for example tuning the final drive in the Cayman to be much shorter for better acceleration, but keeping the PI from the original long ratio as initially equipped.
Thanks for actually being helpful. I have noticed that the drift springs don't change much for all the other cars I've tried. This was actually the first time it gave a better handling stat than the race springs, so I found it odd.

Thought the game doesn't actually let you get rid of barn finds to combat exploits?

You're right. I think I was thinking of other offline stuff you can only unlock once.... Accolades maybe?

How to win the Eliminator: Step one
FF_JxUPWUAIQLaw

I still remember the one time I immediately found a lv.8 car right at the start... and still finished 46th.

Last edited:
I still remember the one time I immediately found a lv.8 car right at the start... and still finished 46th.
I was working on the "collect 7 car drops in one session of the Eliminator" accolade today when I came up on a Level 9 Andretti GRC Beetle. "Well screw that" I thought. "I'm going to win this mother." I came in fourth and I didn't get the accolade.

I was working on the "collect 7 car drops in one session of the Eliminator" accolade today when I came up on a Level 9 Andretti GRC Beetle. "Well screw that" I thought. "I'm going to win this mother." I came in fourth and I didn't get the accolade.
The best I've managed is a level 8 GTR Skyline. I challenged someone in a level 3 car and proceeded to drive into a rock that I got stuck on. I sat there for an age like a seesaw until the other player eventually eliminated me. Didn't get the accolade either to rub salt into the wound.

The problem I have with locking all those cars everyone wants behind seasonal/series points isn’t so much the difficulty to me, it’s that it’s such a blah-blah monotonous thing each week. It’s like “Well I’ll guess I’ll do all of this pretty-much-the-same stuff again this week so I can get the car” type of thing.

I get that they want to keep people engaged, and they also want to make it feel like a reward to get some of those cars. After a while though, it feels more and more like work instead of fun. I don’t really have any answers on how to do it all different, but the season/series thing is starting to feel a bit stale.
Very much this. It burned me out in FH4, and while I have been enjoying FH5, it's burning me out in FH5 now too as I hate turning on the game to feel like I have to do stuff I don't want to do just to earn a time-limited reward, instead of just doing stuff I actually want to do.

My suggestion for how to do it different would be to keep the playlist almost as it is, but make 2 changes:

1. Offer bonus points for doing better in the selected events/challenges. For example, you only have to beat "Highly Skilled" AI for your 3pts, but if you can beat "Pro" or whatever is next you get an extra 2pts, and if you can beat "Unbeatable" you get an extra 3pts or something. You only have to set a clean lap in Rivals for your 4pts, but if you can set one in the top 50% you get an extra 2pts, top 25% gets you an extra 4pts, and so on.

It would offer an incentive to improve and a chance for people to knock the list out a bit quicker and get back to doing things they want to do, but it wouldn't impact people who are happy with the list as it is, and you could have some freedom to earn the cars slower but easier, or work a bit to earn them faster.

2. Offer repeatable bonuses for doing basically everything else in the game. That way if you want to to earn the new cars the fastest way you can still just do the higher scoring playlist events, but if you want to just play the game you still get rewarded for playing other things. As an added bonus, it would be a great way to supplement the playlist as then people wouldn't feel forced into multiplayer or certain types of events they don't enjoy.

For example: Complete a race at any of the giant tracks (Goliath etc) for 1pt, do 3 normal races for 1pt, build a custom track, publish and get a play on it to get 2pts, win a multiplayer race for 1pt, finish top 30 (or whatever) in the Eliminator for 1pt, top 10 for 2pts, and a win gives you 3pts or something, etc. Obviously the values could be adjusted, and make some of them only repeatable a limited number of times, and others can be completed an unlimited number of times.

Sure, you could grind them out by just doing 45 Goliath races or trading wins with your friends in multiplayer or whatever, but that would be less time efficient and in some cases even more boring than just playing the playlist stuff.

It means you could still make progress for playing the game how you want, and given that it's an open world game that is kinda important in my opinion. I'm personally fine with multiplayer racing, but I hate the "Playground Games" things, but I get that others hate multiplayer altogether, and meanwhile there are people who love the Eliminator for example. I don't see the positive in making people stop playing the modes they enjoy to play some random races on a list or complete some arbitrary challenges. It doesn't hurt me at all if some guy that just loves the Eliminator played it 30 times to get the bonus car, or if someone who hates multiplayer just did a bunch of AI races by himself to earn the bonus car.

Now that the Arcade is much easier, grinded out the games needed to get the Lotus resulting in it and 3-4 other accolades getting knocked out. Wheel gods favored me as well; got the Testarossa & finally, the Sesto FE. Using the Hoonicorn for the Arcade grind also netted me a gigantic amount of points. Gonna wait til' the new season starts and spend them on getting Super Wheelspins, see if the SVJ is open to be claimed by a wheelspin.

Last edited:
Does tuning a car now affect the numbers displayed for things like handling? That's the only thing I could make out being actually different. Also, do drift springs give you the same wheel turning radius as the the Formula Drift cars? You can actual see the turning radius is massive in the outside views on those vehicles.
The FD Cars (as well as the Twerkstallion and I believe both Hoonicorns) I believe have their own special drift suspension that give them higher steering angle, kinda like how the Elise GT1 has unique race tyres by default. From what I've noticed, drift suspension does increase steering angle, though not to the same degree of the FD cars.

Last edited:
I tried to nail some of the Skills in the Accolades page. I maxxed out the Car Mastery page for the 63 VW Beetle. I tried to do the 10 Trading Paint skills by doing the Colossus and just hitting the drivatars at every opportunity. I thought for sure it would say something, but I did not get one to show up on screen. I finished 1st, and then checked the Accolades screen, nothing. Has anyone even seen a Trading Paint skill? Because I am not sure if I have. There's no traffic, so... Any suggestions or should I just move on to something else more achievable.

EDIT: I tried Horizon Solo, and it works registering Trading Paint Skills. If anyone manages to see that skill show up in a race, please say so.

Last edited:
I lost my lv10 Centenario to a lv6 Cayenne. :lol:
It was more of a joke. Anyway finding a lv9 car at the start helps a lot.
EDIT: I tried Horizon Solo, and it works registering Trading Paint Skills. If anyone manages to see that skill show up in a race, please say so.
I'm not sure you could get Trading Paint or Near Miss from Drivatars during races in any Horizon. I know you can't in FH4, not sure about other games.

Time is progressing while you’re taking photos for some reason and it’s getting pretty damn annoying. This wasn’t happening before. I’m talking about while in actual photomode, the lighting will continuously change and progress and it’s messing up my shots lol.

Time is progressing while you’re taking photos for some reason and it’s getting pretty damn annoying. This wasn’t happening before. I’m talking about while in actual photomode, the lighting will continuously change and progress and it’s messing up my shots lol.

I was coming here to complain about literally this. I uninstalled because of it, combined with everything else consistently ailing the game, this was the straw that broke the camel's back. I just want to enjoy something in the game, ffs. Why is the screen constantly flashing when time progresses? I'm so glad I don't have photosensitive epilepsy because that's utterly triggering.

I can't take it anymore. I'll reinstall when the game actually works.

I hope they do something about game stability. I should NOT be get dips into the 40s with my currents rig at Ultra. Did a race against AI at sunset ant it was borderline unplayable, fluctuating from high 30fps to 60 throughout out the entire race.

So tried again after the hot'fix'... Three crashes to home screen trying to start the game haha.

Finally get in. Freezes on exiting house. Restart.

Play a bit. Freezes on changing cars.
Restart.
Two attempts to restart.

Play a bit, freezes entering rivals.
Resta... Nah **** it.

PG games, call me when you've sorted your **** out. I'm out (again)

Last edited:
I am currently attempting to share a tune with the following description:

Replica - 1986 MG Metro 6R4 Horizon Edition

And I am being told, "You specified something that was blocked by the language filter." What part of that description would the game consider to be inappropriate content?
I know this post was from over a week ago but I have a similar problem now. I was trying to publish a photo of the Metro yesterday and kept getting the language filter message. Any combination of MG, Metro or 6R4 was blocked. I tried leaving the description blank - blocked. I tried changing the car and manufacturer to something other than MG/Metro - blocked. I could not get it to publish under any circumstances.

I guess there's just something inherently offensive about a Metro? Having spent the first decade of my life being driven around by my parents in a Metro (technically three Metros - they never lasted very long) I have some sympathy with that viewpoint, but seeing as they put it in the game I'm surprised I can't publish a photo of it!

Back