Forza Horizon 5: General Discussion

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 18,967 comments
I think there might have been some tweaking of the car drop locations in the Eliminator. I've been starting at the Tulum ruins in the deep southeast corner of the map for a while. There are almost always two cars there when the game starts. A low level car right on the street, and a higher level car inside the ruins. But ever since the last update, those two spots almost never spawn a car any more. I've got to rethink my start point now. Where does everyone else start?
Before the patch it was very hard to find any car drops, sometimes I drove for minutes without seeing any. Even when I was able to find some, they were never higher than 4 or 5 level cars and mostly just 1-3 levels. Now there are mostly 2 or 3 drops around me just when I start the game (usually somewhere around the stadium), and there are finally some higher level cars, too.

I miss Forza Horizon 4's Festival Playlist where you can win the exclusive new-to-Forza cars from the Seasonal Championships and the low points rewards instead of the online multiplayer events.
Yeah I don't think people are going to be happy when they find out that they're going to have to grind a lot more comparatively than FH4 to get these early series exclusives.

Series 2
Maserati 8CTF - 45PT (80% equivalent) Reward Summer.
Peel Trident - 45PT (80% equivalent) Reward Spring

Series 3
Toyota Celica SS-I - 45PT (80% equivalent) Reward Summer.
Toyota Arctic Trucks AT37 - 45PT (80% equivalent) Reward Autumn
Vauxhall Lotus Carlton - 45PT (80% equivalent) Reward Spring
Zenvo ST1 - 120PT Series Reward
Ford Mustang Mach 1 - 200PT Series Reward

That's 8 cars out of 16 they're adding through the playlist that are going to take significantly more effort to obtain than usual (like it was in FH4). I get maybe adding 1 or 2 behind the 45PT requirement, since we are getting a lot of cars for 2 Series. But 8 seems a little high.

And the extremely highly requested Aventador SVJ being the 200 point Series 2 reward? Sheesh I'm surprised more people aren't kicking up a fuss about that. I assume when the playlist actually kicks in we'll see people complaining.

Last edited:
Yeah I don't think people are going to be happy when they find out that they're going to have to grind a lot more comparatively than FH4 to get these early series exclusives.

Series 2

Series 3

That's 8 cars out of 16 they're adding through the playlist that are going to take significantly more effort to obtain than usual (like it was in FH4). I get maybe adding 1 or 2 behind the 45PT requirement, since we are getting a lot of cars for 2 Series. But 8 seems a little high.

And the extremely highly requested Aventador SVJ being the 200 point Series 2 reward? Sheesh I'm surprised more people aren't kicking up a fuss about that. I assume when the playlist actually kicks in we'll see people complaining.
I thought Playground Games learned their lesson on not locking certain cars behind completing online events in Forza Horizon 4. Guess not. I noticed the playlists during the livestream and I knew something was up. Back in Forza Horizon 4, the rare cars (that are already in the game) usually had the higher percentage requirements and the exclusive new-to-Forza cars had the lower percentage requirements or can be Seasonal Championship rewards. That worked well.

Series 2

Series 3

Hitting the second car mark each week really isn't that difficult, though. The majority of the online stuff only requires you to participate rather than win, and while the AI is more of a blatant cheaty bugger now, I feel like the main problem people were having with the first month was that the game just wasn't very clear about what cars were needed for events, and that left people more unprepared to properly deal with them due to a lack of a filled out collection. (Also, not knowing that restarting an event a couple times can mess with the AI and prevent that rabbit in P1 from constantly flying away halfway through the first lap, which worked just as well in FH4 too.)

I mean, I get that everyone hates being required to do online stuff. But not having to actually win those events, Trial aside, makes them more of a boring time sink than a roadblock and they're just points people are leaving on the table for no reason.

Series 2

Series 3
The higher-tier reward car was 80% in FH4, but 45pt is 69-73% of the usual 61-65pt available each season in FH5. You can miss out the 10pt Trial, the 3pt Arcade, 3pt Playground, 2pt Eliminator, and the 2pt challenge that usually uses Open and still hit 45.

Also the overwhelming majority of early FH5 players are Game Pass players, and it's likely the majority of those are GPU subscribers, which includes online multiplayer (or Xbox Gold, or whatever it's called this week), taking advantage of the introductory and BF offers - including the three-month discount.

The higher-tier reward car was 80% in FH4, but 45pt is 69-73% of the usual 61-65pt available each season in FH5. You can miss out the 10pt Trial, the 3pt Arcade, 3pt Playground, 2pt Eliminator, and the 2pt challenge that usually uses Open and still hit 45.

Also the overwhelming majority of early FH5 players are Game Pass players, and it's likely the majority of those are GPU subscribers, which includes online multiplayer (or Xbox Gold, or whatever it's called this week), taking advantage of the introductory and BF offers - including the three-month discount.
You forgot the Horizon Tour. It's not possible without Gold unfortunately.

@dirtydog have you done any Open racing after that post about headlights not working. Saw a video that ISAD posted about the same issue and decided to see it for myself. It took a while but finally managed to race at night and the headlights did worked. Maybe it's a PC issue? Or maybe it doesn't happen every time?
Further to this, I saw this video posted on the Forza forums from a few weeks ago, I don't know if it was posted here before.

Anyway I tried to recreate the issue today, to try and get to the bottom of it. I tried a blueprint event where I could set different times of day, I suspect it's occurring at dawn or evening rather than night. But I couldn't recreate it, the headlights were working on all times of day (when they needed to). Maybe it is intermittent, or maybe it's a certain season / time of day / weather combination which causes it.

On the subject of long loading times, what about this... an online race just now. This is after I'd already waited minutes for the actual loading and 'fast travelling'. The game has already loaded the event now, so why does it keep us waiting another two minutes? This is clearly nothing to do with people's slow hard drives or base Xbox One consoles etc., it's a weird bug which is making the game wait for... something. Who knows what. FH4 did this too sometimes and the bug still exists in FH5.

Last edited:
The problem I have with locking all those cars everyone wants behind seasonal/series points isn’t so much the difficulty to me, it’s that it’s such a blah-blah monotonous thing each week. It’s like “Well I’ll guess I’ll do all of this pretty-much-the-same stuff again this week so I can get the car” type of thing.

I get that they want to keep people engaged, and they also want to make it feel like a reward to get some of those cars. After a while though, it feels more and more like work instead of fun. I don’t really have any answers on how to do it all different, but the season/series thing is starting to feel a bit stale.

Last edited:
I think there might have been some tweaking of the car drop locations in the Eliminator. I've been starting at the Tulum ruins in the deep southeast corner of the map for a while. There are almost always two cars there when the game starts. A low level car right on the street, and a higher level car inside the ruins. But ever since the last update, those two spots almost never spawn a car any more. I've got to rethink my start point now. Where does everyone else start?
I believe they randomized the car drops in the Eliminator to prevent people getting car drops immediately. I used to start by the highway, since there was always at least 2 drops there.

Further to this, I saw this video posted on the Forza forums from a few weeks ago, I don't know if it was posted here before.

Anyway I tried to recreate the issue today, to try and get to the bottom of it. I tried a blueprint event where I could set different times of day, I suspect it's occurring at dawn or evening rather than night. But I couldn't recreate it, the headlights were working on all times of day (when they needed to). Maybe it is intermittent, or maybe it's a certain season / time of day / weather combination which causes it.

I did get the no headlights problem on Series X a few times but it takes a while to happen. The first few rounds of Horizon Open is usually fine but by the 4th or 5th round the races are just dark and no headlights. If you quit Horizon Open and the open world is night time, the headlights remain broken until you do something else.

On the subject of long loading times, what about this... an online race just now. This is after I'd already waited minutes for the actual loading and 'fast travelling'. The game has already loaded the event now, so why does it keep us waiting another two minutes?
I'm 90% sure that this is someone's internet connection not working, and the game waiting for them to disconnect or be ready to start. It used to happen in 4 now and then too, and usually once the event started there'd be at least one player missing as they'd finally timed out.

You forgot the Horizon Tour. It's not possible without Gold unfortunately.
You can skip it as well and still get the necessary points. I haven't touched Tour or Horizon Open and have managed to get the exclusive cars each season and playlist.

You can skip it as well and still get the necessary points. I haven't touched Tour or Horizon Open and have managed to get the exclusive cars each season and playlist.
But we are discussing if it's possible to obtain every car without Gold. And you can't if you are on console.

I'm 90% sure that this is someone's internet connection not working, and the game waiting for them to disconnect or be ready to start. It used to happen in 4 now and then too, and usually once the event started there'd be at least one player missing as they'd finally timed out.
I've noticed there being fewer players after long delays but I assume at least some of those could be due to the player getting fed up waiting, so they just force quit the game (on PC it's even easier to quit, you can just disconnect your network and it will kick you without having to exit the game).

Surely the game should be coded such that it leaves stragglers behind rather than making everyone wait for them, this is elementary game design going back since the dawn of internet multiplayer decades ago. It is a predictable known event that occasionally a player will not be ready for whatever reason. There needs to be a limit where the game says 'too bad, the game is starting with or without you' so as not to keep everyone else waiting. But apparently in Forza, there isn't.

Last edited:
I get that everyone hates being required to do online stuff
Really? It's the first things I do each week and really enjoy the online stuff and do extra anyway during the week. The only issue I have is finding a good team for The Trial.
The problem I have with locking all those cars everyone wants behind seasonal/series points isn’t so much the difficulty to me, it’s that it’s such a blah-blah monotonous thing each week
I wonder as a new player if this will be where I end up too. At the moment I see it as a way of making us use different cars that we might otherwise not, but even after a month I can list off every activity off the top of my head because they are the same every week.

I still need a car to take on the A- and B-class Unbeatable AI in Cross Country and have been advised that the Jeep Trailcat is the best performing vehicle in Rivals. Is this accurate or does anyone have any other suggestions please?
The Chevy ZR2 is really OP against Unbeatable AI in B class. Also very easy to drive. In alternative the Scout and Wrangler are both really good.
As for A class, go for the Merc X-class or the Raptors. They will do the job against AI. There is however an OP vehicle in A class.... but I refuse to drive the Boneshaker.. The Trailcat is good but others are better against AI, imo.
Tankpool FE seems to be doing the job.

Last edited:
But we are discussing if it's possible to obtain every car without Gold. And you can't if you are on console.
Except I am on console and just said I haven't touched Open or Tour and have no issues getting every car and for argument sake, I didn't complete the trial last week and still got both cars.

Except I am on console and just said I haven't touched Open or Tour and have no issues getting every car and for argument sake, I didn't complete the trial last week and still got both cars.
Look it's really simple math. There are 65 points available. You need 45 for the second car and the Gold portion covers 23 points. So at least you need to do one of those Gold only activities to reach those 45. I doubt @Apple Slipper would have any issue if that was possible.

The problem I have with locking all those cars everyone wants behind seasonal/series points isn’t so much the difficulty to me, it’s that it’s such a blah-blah monotonous thing each week. It’s like “Well I’ll guess I’ll do all of this pretty-much-the-same stuff again this week so I can get the car” type of thing.

I get that they want to keep people engaged, and they also want to make it feel like a reward to get some of those cars. After a while though, it feels more and more like work instead of fun. I don’t really have any answers on how to do it all different, but the season/series thing is starting to feel a bit stale.
I agree. By the time I unlock a new car I usually just try it for a few minutes, add it to favourites if i liked it and that's it. God knows when will be the next time I'll drive this car, probably for some trial or AI race when I'm trying to unlock a completely different car in two months time. Not a fair comparison but in Driveclub (and many other racing games, too) all the packs of new cars came with events for the new cars, which was exciting. It will be fun to drive a new car in some of seasonal events in FH5, this way you can use the new car and you will still need to unlock it. I remember in FH4 they gave us a chance to try something new in monthly rivals, why not do this with some other events?

As for weekly events, I guess everyone likes different things here, so here goes my list. Events that I enjoy:
  • Forzathon weekly challenge - like this most of the time since it makes you stick to one car and really appreciate it for what it is. With exception for times when PG added some crazy PR stunt/speed trap/zone scores to beat I really like this one
  • Horizon Arcade - loved Forzathon live in FH4 and now that Arcade works in FH5 I enjoy it here, too
  • Eliminator - glad they added it, I really enjoyed it in FH4 but guess I didn't have enough motivation to play it without any particular reward
  • Trial - love to race with other players despite some of them being dirty rammers. With exception of one super-hard event four or six months ago in FH4 where I tried to beat it 10 times without luck it usually doesn't take long to complete these events
  • Rivals - easy points, I would love to have at least some kind of goal here other than post a clean lap but that's just me with my love of time trials. Wish we had a different one each week
And some events which I prefer not to complete if I don't need a second seasonal car:
  • AI races - just boring, AIs are either too easy or too hard (and I don't want to spend time finding the perfect difficulty for each race)
  • PR stunts/Speed Zones/Speed Traps - in general I like that they added specific car classes for these but after a couple of weeks these became a chore
  • Tour - as mentioned, I very much enjoy racing agains other players but the pauses between the races when you need to reach a new destination are just boring. What's the point?
  • Playground games - I generally enjoy them, especially when it's a full lobby and not just 2vs2. Still, I would much prefer the event to be 3 games long instead of 5
Most other events are minuscule and I don't have anything in particular to say about them. For all the criticism I have for the playlist, it is still the most engaging weekly/monthly GAAS system I experienced. It is exciting enough when there is a car I really want but not that fun when there is nothing interesting to get. Mind you I'm not a collector kind of player, and even if I was I can get almost any car later via forzathon shop, wheelspin or auction house.

Last edited:
My favorite starting point is where the Baja festival is located. It’s near the edge of the arena though, so you can’t really afford to dawdle.

Last edited:
Wow I have traffic in horizon mode, scared too stop playing, praying they don't just disappear but only player on server :( ach well can't win them all lol, no doubt they will disappear at some point. and they did after entering arcade mode lol

Last edited:
Just managed to get through the Offroad Seasonal Championship without a hitch on my lunch break. No save hanging, no freezing, no black screens - basically just immediate loading, so that's great that I can get the races done before the end of the season.

Last edited:
1638906023686.jpeg

That‘s 2.5 GB for a save feature I guess… :boggled:

Last edited:
Got a question for anyone: Why would installing drift suspension give me a +0.5 advantage in handling compared to race suspension? I was building a Lotus Elan for C Class rivals and noticed this but I thought the suspension options were basically just tuning presets, with no fundamental differences.

Does tuning a car now affect the numbers displayed for things like handling? That's the only thing I could make out being actually different. Also, do drift springs give you the same wheel turning radius as the the Formula Drift cars? You can actual see the turning radius is massive in the outside views on those vehicles.

Last edited:
Back